Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    • 4,559Posts
    • 53,318Thanks
    Jazee
    Jazee's Diary
    • 10th Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    Jazee's Diary 10th Aug 12 at 5:14 PM
    Hello to anyone who decides to read my diary.

I'm starting this diary as I want to collect my thoughts in one place. I have unsuccessfully put posts on some other threads, and some have disappeared, so I assume that I've broken some rule or other and think that here I can't break my own rules.

I have been in debt since 1997, so that's 15 years and the usual nothing to show for it. I have been a long term lurker on MSE but have only started posting, mainly on the flylady thread, quite recently.

Thanks to this site, my debts are manageable and my days of pawning items and pay day loans are long over. My debt free date is March 2015.

I have tried and failed at some of the challenges: 1 a day pot, really successful for two years, but now I'm not really keeping any cash in the house and am trying for as many NSDs as possible, it doesn't really work.

Which brings me to NSDs. Spectacular failure most days. Must try harder.

Off to do tea now, will carry on another time and work out a plan of action to bring forward that date.
    Last edited by Jazee; 13-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Savings 2018: 717.52
Page 35
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 29th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It was a Bank Holiday, Jazee. I think we all need a bit of a treat sometimes. And you've squirrelled money away, so you're doing really well.

I finished putting away the table top sale stuff this morning and realised that as I'm planning on doing a whole lot of Christmas Fairs this year, putting the change bag away with all the stuff I'm saving for them like price stickers and carrier bags was an excellent idea. I won't have to do a massive panicked rush to the bank for change, which they'll want to charge me for, and I can't spend it without going up to the attic first. Rather pleased with myself for thinking that one through.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 30th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Good thinking and planning ahead HB.

We had another treat yesterday after the paid stuff. We went for a meal. It was budgeted for and not something we do that often any more.

However other budgets are not looking so good. DH has 20 to last eight days til next pay day, I have 15 and there is 45 for food. Actually, I think it is only alcoholic DH who will struggle.

Had a look for a pair of wedding shoes yesterday and found a pair for 200. Took a photo to ponder, then found a pair I'm hoping will be the right colour courtesy of the MSE email this morning (everything 5) for 4.75. So fingers crossed.

Another 10 squirrelled to savings.

Hope anyone reading has a good day.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 31st May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    You can get your shoes dyed if they're not quite right, Jazee.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 2nd Jun 18, 7:52 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    You can get your shoes dyed if they're not quite right, Jazee.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

Ooh, I'll have to look that up if they're not the right shade. Found a lovely little shop yesterday with handbags not costing the Earth too.

Another 5 saved meaning I actually saved 310 in May despite HMRC taking most of my earnings. Not quite the 1k plus of each month last year but the deal is I only have to work part time now.

Today will be dog walking and gardening.

I hope anyone reading has a great day.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jun 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Mega money spent over last few days, mostly wedding related.

I shall take a deep breath and redo the budgets tomorrow.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Jun 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Pay day today and I've redone the budgets. Very tight. Sorted out car insurance for DH - 110 less than his renewal quote, so good savings there.

This month will need big spends due to wedding so think I'll have no choice but to touch our savings.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Jun 18, 5:39 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    But you're working again, so it's okay to dip into savings briefly as they can be topped up fairly soon. Don't feel guilty - it's not every day a DD gets married and that's exactly what savings are for.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 8th Jun 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    I know HB but after years of debt (it was 50k+) and now actually having some savings, I feel a real need just to keep savings there 'in case of emergency' or for old age (if I get there!). Fortunately DH has the same reasoning as you and keeps me in line to get my priorities right.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Jun 18, 3:14 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It's tough balancing the discipline and need to save with the extravagance of spending on anything other than gruel but it's your daughter's wedding, so I think you're allowed to splash out and treat yourself. You're going to be looking at those photographs for years.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Jun 18, 3:59 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Afternoon diary.
    MSE wise, budgets still intact. Was underspent by 16 on this week's grocery budget so squirrelled it to next year's car insurance fund.

In other news, I could just scream. I know it is only two weeks till the wedding and that is stressful for DD but she is driving me nuts. Never happy despite all the good things in her life, just me me me, I'm stressed, you don't understand mum. Never a thought for any worries I might have, like aches and pains and her alcoholic father.
    Constant bleeding texts testing my patience, and I have to go out tonight with them all for blooming father's day.
    Rant over.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 18th Jun 18, 9:59 AM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Bridezilla.

You know she's great when things are on an even keel, and she'll get past this and go back to being someone you like as well as love.

I'm not a fan of the ridiculous pantomimes that weddings have become, partly because the pressure it puts on the poor bride to be the perfect star of her own show for the day means that she can't possibly enjoy any of it. She's always exhausted by the time the day finally dawns, broke, permanently hungover and has fallen out with pretty much everyone who loves her because she's been behaving like a spoiled brat for weeks.

I loathe the way people who already know they're going to be in debt for years with mortgages, student loans, car loans and maxed out credit cards are encouraged, sometimes required it seems, to pour thousands and thousands of pounds into one day. It's utter madness and I have absolutely no idea why it's so fashionable.

You're not on your own experiencing the fallout from this must-have nonsense and the good news is - there's an end date in sight.

It might be worth checking that she does actually want to be married and isn't being such a brat because she's having serious doubts about that, and doesn't know how to say it. My mother picked that up on the only random phone call I made to her in the run up to my wedding (didn't happen, thank goodness) and said to me, 'You know, if you decide this isn't what you want even at the alter you can walk away from it.' I wish I'd told her then that I didn't think it was a good idea because the way it all came tumbling down was bad, but it might be worth a mention.

Sorry if I've gone too far.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Jun 18, 10:23 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Spot on about the behaviour HB. Fortunately they haven't got into any debt though (although they have delayed finalising their house deposit) and yes, she really does want to get married. Fortunately, they are perfect for each other.

Last night wasn't too bad, actually it was very good once DD decided to join in the conversations. The waiter spilt all the drinks over DH, makes a change from them all being in him, and I think we'll laugh about that for a while.

Today, DH is recovering from last night, a bit groggy but we've both got the day off. I have done most of the jobs I planned round the house, so I'm going to get out in the garden soon and pot up the plants I want to sell at the tabletop sale this weekend.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th Jun 18, 8:47 AM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Glad to hear that the evening was a success, Jazee, and that you can spend some soothing time gardening. All will be well ....
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jul 18, 6:08 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Update from me. Tabletop sale was not really worth doing other than to force a sort out for charity shops and tombolas. Excess plants have now been sold to raise funds for a local charity or given to friends and relatives.

DDs wedding was amazing. I can't go into detail as I'll give away mine and her anonymity but she got the perfect day they wanted. Now to help with DSs wedding.

We have family staying this week. It was supposed to be until yesterday but they've extended their stay until tomorrow. We've had days out, lunches and dinners out and perused the shops and stately homes.

So MSE wise, I'm expecting to dip into our savings to the tune of just under 1k. Which is about what we spend on a holiday cottage each year anyway.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I hope you're enjoying it all, Jazee. I'm glad your DD's wedding was fab and that you've kept to your holiday budget to limit dipping into savings. Are you at the stage where you'd quite enjoy it going back to normal, or are you revelling in the activity?

When is DS's wedding - weeks, months or years in the future?
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Jul 18, 8:00 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    HB, I'm really enjoying it and don't go back to the paid stuff until the middle of next week so I've a few days to get the house back to normal. I will be pleased to get back in my own bed though.

DS's wedding is at the end of next year. Planning in earnest starts next month!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello diary. Frugal times start here. I've just done the finances and with things going up we have a shortfall of 10 per week. However, the budget does include putting something aside for emergencies and I've also put aside what we need for a years one off bills like car insurance. The budget includes restoring those funds as they get paid too.

I'm hoping for some extra hours at work, although at the moment I'm just getting shifts swapped around, and I'm also planning to do some surveys. Will also start doing competitions again and will look at the freebies forums.

I'm trying to avoid selling anything on the bay of e as it drives me mad.

Today, the only spends will be on essentials like milk and bread.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Jul 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Didn't use all 'my' spends this week, actually didn't use any, so I've just put 50 in the savings account. Won't be the same for the next week though, as I've a work do and I need to get my hair cut.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 51,304 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I'm trying to avoid selling anything on the bay of e as it drives me mad.
    Originally posted by Jazee

I'm selling a few things at the moment but avoiding the Bay of E until I've gone through all of the stuff I can on Gumtwig, which is infinitely easier and a lot less hassle. However, some of the buyers are an absolute nightmare and there's no way of weeding them out. Still, the advert sits there and doesn't cost anything so I go on using it. Listed half a dozen things last night and the first thing left the house this morning without any haggling. Result!
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Jul 18, 8:01 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 53,318 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning diary.

I didn't get my hair cut and the work do only cost 7 for parking as all food and drink was free. Friday was a NSD and yesterday I only spent 7.60 at a village event and Bowls, first of a two day competition event. Came second yesterday.

The dogs have gone away for the weekend as I'm busy away from home. I shall pick them up tonight after a belated birthday meal with family.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,765Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin