Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    • 4,654Posts
    • 54,346Thanks
    Jazee
    Jazee's Diary
    • 10th Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    Jazee's Diary 10th Aug 12 at 5:14 PM
    Hello to anyone who decides to read my diary.

I'm starting this diary as I want to collect my thoughts in one place. I have unsuccessfully put posts on some other threads, and some have disappeared, so I assume that I've broken some rule or other and think that here I can't break my own rules.

I have been in debt since 1997, so that's 15 years and the usual nothing to show for it. I have been a long term lurker on MSE but have only started posting, mainly on the flylady thread, quite recently.

Thanks to this site, my debts are manageable and my days of pawning items and pay day loans are long over. My debt free date is March 2015.

I have tried and failed at some of the challenges: 1 a day pot, really successful for two years, but now I'm not really keeping any cash in the house and am trying for as many NSDs as possible, it doesn't really work.

Which brings me to NSDs. Spectacular failure most days. Must try harder.

Off to do tea now, will carry on another time and work out a plan of action to bring forward that date.
    Last edited by Jazee; 13-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Savings 2018: 792.43
Page 34
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 27th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    Insurance quotes came in as low as 160 but think I'll go with the 180 which includes legal cover.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 28th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    OH is brilliant at sourcing deals for insurance, gas, electricity and all that, thank goodness, so it's the one area I don't have to think about. He just hands me the paperwork when it's all sorted - hurrah!

We're also eating our way through the freezer because I really need to defrost it, and I'm surprised at how well we're eating, although not for how long it's taking. I'd say we were about two thirds of the way there but there are a lot of things that will take a while to work through, such as cheese bought when it was on special offer. OH also has a habit of going to M&S and buying us treats which means the meal plan for the week gets scuppered, but I'm not going to have a whinge about it - who doesn't love a treat? He's very, very good at choosing treats!

I hope you're offered the job. Fingers crossed for you.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 29-03-2018 at 8:32 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 28th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    I have the job here of sorting finances etc. Checked the accounts this morning to find a spend at McDonalds, so I think DH has not kept to our challenge.

Although council tax and water rates are increasing this year, we are seeing reductions in rent, car recovery, car insurance etc so I actually think our basic expenditure will be less.

Today I am job searching this morning (although still hoping I get the job I went for yesterday) and this afternoon I'm going with DH for his treatment at the hospital so I can drive him back home. The appointment is expected to take 4 hours so it will be a long day.

Got a call from another job I went for recently, they are 'restructuring' and want to drop the salary by 5k - am I still interested? Well, NO.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 29th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Quite apart from the 5k drop, who wants to work for a company that's so disorganised they don't know what the work is worth to them?

Still got my fingers crossed for you for the job you want.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 29th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks HB, I'm hoping I hear either way pretty soon.

I am not looking on the job sites until next Tuesday now. I am giving myself an extra long weekend off to try to catch up on some jobs. Also I'm helping DD move house tomorrow, and probably sofa shopping with her on Saturday.

I should have had my redundancy payment today, but they seem to have just paid me a month's salary so I'm having to waste time trying to chase that now. I really wanted it all sorted out so I could make the most of the two tax years.

Also, trying to organise a visit for the dogs to where they're going on holiday in the summer while we attend DD's wedding.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    Diary, the visit to the dog sitters went really well. The dogs seemed to remember the location - they ran to the front door - and this time met both people and were really happy with them.

In other news, I am still chasing my redundancy payment which is annoying, and I didn't hear back after either of the first two interviews. One I had to chase as it was via an agency (who are proving themselves to be good for nothing) and the other job - well, do I really want to be working for a company that doesn't give bad news well? I don't think so.

I had another interview yesterday which I'm told I will hear the result of early next week.

Nothing else much happening here, low spends obviously, and I'm planning to spend today gardening.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Excellent news about the dogsitter, bummer about the interviews and redundancy. Why are UK employers so casual about relationships with staff and potential staff?

Happy gardening!
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    I managed to spend 3 hours gardening on Saturday, still not cut the wet grass though, but I'm paying for it today with a really stiff neck so had a bad nights sleep.

Huge spends yesterday, fortunately budgeted. I now have a dress for DD's wedding.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    I have got the job which I was interviewed for last week. It is the best possible outcome, ticks all my boxes.

DH got paid today so I've worked out our budgets for the next four weeks. Reduced grocery budget which is ok as the freezers are full of YS bargains again, and no money for takeaways or meals out although DH says he wants us to have a meal out to celebrate my new job.

I really feel I can start organising my life again now that I know what I'm going to be doing, but first I'm going to read the paper.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh that is brilliant news Jazee, congratulations!
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 13th Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,756 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Congratulations on the job, fantastic news. x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was 10,000 now 5000/borrowed 5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. 5000/0
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    We've been eating out of the freezer for a couple of months because I want to empty and defrost it. I'm now finding it quite hard to cobble a mealplan together just from it, but it's about one third full. What I've noticed is just how little we spend on food at the moment - it's saving us a fortune! Most of the stuff that was in there was YS bargains and homemade ice cream and fruit I'd baked when it was in season and YS, so totally bargainacious. I think we're down to dog bones (a lot) and veggies, and then stuff like yeast, grated emmenthal and a pile of YS Yarg. We're eating a lot of Nigella's Three Cheese Strata!

Huge congratulations on the job, obviously and well done on finding the right wedding dress for your DD. Now you can go hunting for your own outfit - great fun!

I'm not sure what your weather forecast is like over the weekend, but it's good down here, so I'm hoping to get a lot of the plugs I potted up into their final troughs and pots this weekend which would be a relief.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    HB I hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow. We!!!8217;re at least two months behind on gardening this year because of the weather but I have finally planted some seeds and tidied some of the garden.

Tomorrow I will be having a lie in if the dogs let me, then pottering until the afternoon when there is more planning to be done for the wedding.

MSE wise only spends today were on special delivery letter to solicitor and I paid my paper bill. Tomorrow there is another wedding bill to pay.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Irritatingly we've got commitments all day today as well, so I can't get things planted on, and the forecast is merde for tomorrow so it won't happen then, either - and I'll have to cram it all back undercover, too. However, this is the earliest I've ever got cracking on it even if the warmer weather is a bit late in arriving so I'm hoping it'll all look lovely really early - for me!
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 26th May 18, 7:50 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning diary. I can't believe it is so many weeks since I posted.

Well, the job is going brilliantly. I absolutely love it and feel I have my life back with only being part time and not having to travel to the city every day.

Which means that the garden is looking great and wedding plans are going well. Also had a fantastic weekend away last week with family for celebrations.

MSE wise, managing to keep to our new restricted budget, even more restricted because HMRC can't seem to get my tax code correct. I have wasted so much time on the phone to them and to other suppliers.

Anyhow, today I will potter in the garden. DD and her fiance are taking the doglets out for the day.

Hope anyone reading has a great bank holiday weekend.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 27th May 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    Yesterday was a low spend day as DH only got one of the items on the shopping list. Eton mess became strawberries and cream.

I need a few low spend days as recently I've had to replace both the fridge freezer and the bedside table (the dog accidently destroyed that).

Today should be a NSD for me as I'm just walking the dogs and doing gardening.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 27th May 18, 11:45 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    How can a dog 'accidently' destroy a piece of furniture?!!

Well done on keeping the spending in check. I'm managing to now, after a very spendy start to the year. I've discovered that only going shopping when we actually need food saves money I would have spent going to the supermarket because I was passing anyway.

Glad you're loving working part time - it's very, very different from working full time and not having to go to the city is a big win to boot.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 27th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    How can a dog 'accidently' destroy a piece of furniture?!!
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

It was all 6kg of Poppet, HB! She misjudged jumping off our bed at full speed when she twigged we knew she was on it, and went head first into the bedside table which has mirrored drawers. 7 years bad luck for her then!

I have actually ended up spending 1.49 today on the postage to get 'free' photos from our weekend away last week. There are some shots I'd love to frame.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 28th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 51,933 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 28th May 18, 9:46 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    Jazee
    Oh dear, ended up with a takeaway last night. Must try harder today. We're eating at DD's house so should be NSD.

Have just put in meter readings, very MSE. And squirrelled 15 to savings account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin