Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 6
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 15th Aug 17, 1:58 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    I applied for this and was refused.

I am going back to University as a mature student. Despite the fact I own my own house, have a net income of about £3k a month, a clean credit history, and plenty of savings.

I only wanted it for the railcard.

Maybe it is ok for 18 year olds going to University for the first time but clearly not for anyone who is in any way a non-standard applicant.

I'll stick to Barclays where I've held a current account for years.
    Last edited by Dr Crypto; 15-08-2017 at 1:59 PM. Reason: typos
    • livelaughlovedancesing
    • By livelaughlovedancesing 17th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    livelaughlovedancesing
    LOVED Santander as a student bank account holder
    I opened my student bank account in 2013, four year course, got all of the advertised overdrafts applied to my account without even asking. Four year railcard was the dream, the best bonus around by miles. Would thoroughly recommend!
    • pabenny
    • By pabenny 25th Aug 17, 1:26 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    pabenny
    Terrible experience
    My daughter's undergraduate course is an MA. Santander emailed a rejection, saying the account was for undergraduates only.

Trying to speak to anyone about this... nightmare. 20 minutes on hold to the customer service people only to be told that they couldn't help. Not only that , they couldn't give a number for anyone who could help.

Tried the branch. Friendly, but also unable to help. Gave another number. They couldn't help either.

If this is a sign of their service, I'd say, keep well away
    • Libby T
    • By Libby T 6th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Libby T
    Whoever is planning to get a student account/overdraft this coming year DO NOT go with Santander.

They took my overdraft away from me without proper reason, leaving me in debt and my credit file ruined, knowing full well that, as a student, I couldnít pay it back. Their reason for taking it away is just that they reserve the right to do so at any time.

Advisors are rude and they harassed me, calling multiple times a day to get me to pay money that I just didnít have. Iíve complained but nobody will take me seriously, so Iím warning everyone I can. Please share! Might save somebodyís time at university.

DO NOT GO WITH SANTANDER.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,110Posts Today

8,380Users online

Martin's Twitter