Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Dizzydee
    0 WOW
    Freebies for being nice?
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:04 PM
    0 WOW
    Freebies for being nice? 26th Mar 07 at 1:04 PM
    I am wondering how many freebies we can get for being nice instead of complaining?

The idea is to write a nice thankyou letter for anything you have found really good recently, and see if they send you a 'thankyou' for thanking them.

For instance, a few years ago I wrote to Walkers crisps saying how much I enjoyed their fat free crisps. I got a nice letter back saying they were glad I enjoyed them, and a £5 voucher to buy some more!

I am going to start by mailing my local Tesco to say how helpfull and pleasant I find their staff. Even if I don't get anything back, hopefully it will boost staff moral.

Sorry if this has been done before, but trawled MSE and couldn't find anything similar.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 03-04-2007 at 4:58 PM.
Page 1
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 26th Mar 07, 1:17 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:17 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:17 PM
    I'm a nice person. Nobody sends me Freebies
    GONE ENGLAND
  • shaz77
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:21 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:21 PM
    Writing to Tesco is unlikely to yield a 'Freebie' but the idea is quite good.
  • jules
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:29 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:29 PM
    Good idea - being nice is worthy of a freebie - more then a complaint I think.
    Lets all send a more positive vibe to those who give us a good service
    • vixarooni
    • By vixarooni 26th Mar 07, 1:46 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 6,830 Thanks
    vixarooni
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:46 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:46 PM
    I see what youre saying here but i dont really like the intentions of it.

At work, i help alot of people but i hardly ever get a thanks, but then i would rather be thanked once in a year by someone who was sincere, than thanked 10 times, but only because the person thanking wanted more out of it.
  • bigpaws23
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:47 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:47 PM
    I did it twice - once to Yeo Valley (I even sent them a photo of my cat with her head in a pot to prove that the entire family loved their products ) and once to Ecover.

I got sweet FA.

Good luck though - let us know how you get on

Bigpaws x
  • Zebedeee
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:49 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 1:49 PM
    A little while ago I received some really good service from a local cosmetics store. The shop assistants were so helpful I felt obliged to write to their head office and praise them. Shortly after I received a thank you letter from them. They commended their staff and sent me a bag full of goodies! Problem is, how often do you get service good enough to write about? On the positive side, when you do, and you thank them, everyone is happy!

As they say, smile and the world smiles with you!
    • asea
    • By asea 26th Mar 07, 2:00 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    asea
    • 26th Mar 07, 2:00 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 2:00 PM
    I think people should be thanked for doing a good job but I agree with vixarooni

the idea of thanking people and sending 'positive vibes' just to get freebies smacks of hypocrisy and seems quite sinister to me - I'd hate to be thanked for doing my job by someone that was insincere & looking after themselves whilst pretending to be looking out for me - I'd feel used!
  • Dizzydee
    • 26th Mar 07, 2:02 PM
    • 26th Mar 07, 2:02 PM
    A little while ago I received some really good service from a local cosmetics store. The shop assistants were so helpful I felt obliged to write to their head office and praise them. Shortly after I received a thank you letter from them. They commended their staff and sent me a bag full of goodies! Problem is, how often do you get service good enough to write about? On the positive side, when you do, and you thank them, everyone is happy!

As they say, smile and the world smiles with you!
    Originally posted by Zebedeee
    You could also try a 'thankyou' for any product that you've tried and liked. It costs nothing if you e-mail and as you say it makes people happy.
    Last edited by Dizzydee; 26-03-2007 at 2:10 PM.
  • xellyx
    i think its a great idea
    • Diminutive
    • By Diminutive 26th Mar 07, 2:18 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Diminutive
    It really does boost staff moral =)

When I worked in a popular opticians, we got a letter forwarded to us from head office of a customer just thanking us for the service they received and saying how happy they were. It really did give us a boost and made it all seem worth it =) Where I worked now, we got a box of choccies from a regular customer at christmas. they didnt even leave their name or anything... but it really did make us feel appreciated =)
    ~Diminutive
  • jules
    I am not really bothered about getting a freebie or not - I just think that we are all to quick to complain if things are bad ( I am not saying we shouldn't)
    - but I do think we should praise people more when they do a good job........ I certainly would not do it IN ORDER to try and get a freebie, put it that way.
    • monsieur epargnant
    • By monsieur epargnant 26th Mar 07, 2:49 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 48,427 Thanks
    monsieur epargnant
    I'm aware of this burgeoning campaign in London called Niceties Tokens

It could kick off if there were prizes for logging your unique token. At the moment I think all you can do is trace where it's already been.

The Team Nice mission

The members of Team Nice believe that rudeness to people we don't know and bystander apapthy are mostly borne out of fear and shyness; we have a social expectation that the majority of people 'out there' have no manners and wouldn't appreciate our manners. Therefore, there are nice people and nasty people out there.

Or are there? The aim of Team Nice is to prove that there really aren't that many nasty people out there. This is done by creating the biggest group of 'nice people' in the world. So this means that Team Nice are people who want to take an active part, big or small, in spreading the niceness.
    "There is a difference between listening and waiting for your turn to speak." Simon Sinek

2015 wins 884 value - 2016 ??
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 26th Mar 07, 2:52 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I do praise companies when they do a good job, more recently my removal company who did go out of there way to help put our bed up when we moved house, they could see how exchausted when we moved. That was rewarded with a tip for both lads, and more business as I got them two new clients, so it does pay. Equally when companies/businesses mess up they should be criticised, how else can they improve if no one complains?

A bad company/buisness shouldn't be allowed to operate for very long, although I also recognise that we all make mistakes, by learning from them make a happier customer and a better buisness, a win win situation for all

• Nicci_D
    I tried it with Dolmio but only got a nice email back. It's a good idea in principle but would it really work? If all of us MSErs did it wouldn't the companies get a little suspicious?
    "Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile."
    • Jeep off roading trial - was fantastic - Freebie
    • Rimmel Nail Varnish
    • Won a Pigsback daily quiz - 1000 points 13/6/07
    • Justin Timberlake and Linken Park CD with piggypoints - Freebie
    • Lip Gloss x2 - Freebie
    • 49 worth of free credit from O2 thanks to JakeJakeJake who posted the thread - freebie
    • 50 - comp win
    • Won cool bag.
  • danejb92
    sounds a bit like this: http://www.the39dollarexperiment.com/
    • asea
    • By asea 26th Mar 07, 3:48 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    asea
    I tried it with Dolmio but only got a nice email back. It's a good idea in principle but would it really work? If all of us MSErs did it wouldn't the companies get a little suspicious?
    Originally posted by Nicci_D
    'only' a nice email?
  • Dizzydee
    Originally posted by danejb92
    This looks like a great idea. I might give it a try. I would donate the stuff to the kid's school and local charities for raffle prizes. How many people would benefit from that?
  • julybride
    I make a point of writing a nice thank you letter whenever i write one to complain. As an ex sales assistant and with a hubby who is a store manager i know how much staff appreciate being acknowledged. I don't do it for freebies but have got two.... but that's from sending off quite a few letters. I have recently started to send thank you emails then i don't need to pay for the stamp!
    julybride

DFD 18th Dec2007 We did it!!!
  • nickgoodie
    Thanks
    Originally posted by danejb92
    What An Interesting Read!!

As A Kid I Had Had A Paperback Book Called How To Get Stuff For Free &
    Listed Addresses Of Big Companies & What To Ask for. So I Basically Did
    That & Got Loads Of Stuff Especially From MARS Corp.

I Wonder If It Would Work These Days?!?

I Think It's a Good Idea We Should Have This As A NEW THREAD, Writing For Samples To Big Companies & See Who Gets The BEST Item!!!

Even If We All Bought A Book Of 6 Stamps Would We Get Our Money Back? Do the Big Consumers Really Care These Days To Deal With A Sample Request With A Compliment??

Hey Come MSE'ers LETS GIVE 'EM A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY!!!!

I LOVE THE IDEA OF DONATING TO CHARITY!! We Should Try & Get This Idea Posted On The E-mail?
    How Do You Nominate??

LOVE To Hear Other People's Views!!

Take Care.

Good Luck.

Nick
    x
    Last edited by nickgoodie; 26-03-2007 at 6:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,419Posts Today

8,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• On train having recorded 5 Countdowns ie Dictionary Corner. Ive developed my own honour code as Damian, the super? https://t.co/sHkaypPe7E

• Follow Martin