Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    HOLsale
    Ice Lolly Ideas
    • 31st Mar 05, 2:57 PM
    Ice Lolly Ideas 31st Mar 05 at 2:57 PM
    we've decided that we're going to stop eating sweets in our house except on the weekends as my 3 year old dd has become very greedy and sometimes rather agressive about sweets.

we've also decided to stop buying her ice lollies which she loved, i think the colourings are affecting her. so i'm going to buy some ice lolly moulds and i was wondering if any one had any good ideas for making ice lollies?

i know from experience that pineapple juice doesn't freeze so well on its own so i mix it with apple or orange juice but i'm interested in any unusual ideas that work as i think she will get bored with them if they always just frozen juice.

any suggestions much appreciated
Page 1
  • Allexie
    • 31st Mar 05, 3:05 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 3:05 PM
    Not exactly an ice lolly but....have you ever frozen bananas? Just as they come..in their skins. Eat them frozen (cut into 1" or so lengths and remove the skin) and they taste all creamy and rather like banana ice-cream and best of all.....completely natural.

hth
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 31st Mar 05, 3:06 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    • 31st Mar 05, 3:06 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 3:06 PM
    You can sometimes buy "smoothy" type drinks in Tesco's etc in the reduced aisle, usually raspberry, banana, that type of thing. You could try mixing the fruit ones (I'm not sure how the milk-based ones would work) with half and half value lemonade and freezing. If you have fresh herbs, some mint is also lovely with lemonade or with chocolate milk frozen. You could also try blending a soft banana with milk and freezing.

Also, frozen yogurt with some mixed frozen berries is nice, and also healthy! If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for different types of fruit when it's reduced, and either freeze it straight away or make into blends and freeze.

HTH and good luck with your experiments!
  • kingshir
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:04 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:04 PM
    Frozen bananas are brilliant BUT I take the skins off first as I found it difficult to remove after freezing. You don't need to wrap them up either and they taste gorgeous. My kids loved them (and still do as adults).
    • elona
    • By elona 31st Mar 05, 4:37 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:37 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:37 PM
    You could try the value version of "Angel Delight" made up with milk or low fat yoghourt.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 31st Mar 05, 4:46 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:46 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:46 PM
    .............and little fromage frais pots work well. Take the lids off and push in a stick before freezing.
  • HOLsale
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:47 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 4:47 PM
    thanks everyone!

i'll definately do the frozen bananas, she may well like that.

also the idea of making smoothies and freezing is very good. we do our own juice in our juicer all the time, dd won't drink it but if we mixed in a bit of fromage frais or yogurt and froze it i bet she would

speaking of juicers, i do not like apple juice from the grocery store but fresh apple juice is the bees knees mmmmmm think i'll start with that as a basis for some fruit lollies
  • Lillibet
    • 31st Mar 05, 5:33 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 5:33 PM
    My dad is allergic to sugar but loves milk ice lollies in the summer, my mum used to make milkshake flavoured ones for me as a child. Be sure to use semi-skimmed milk, the others don't freeze well but semi-skimmed is perfect.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • catznine
    • By catznine 31st Mar 05, 10:39 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 31st Mar 05, 10:39 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 10:39 PM
    We used to do frozen bananas for the kids that we dipped into yogurt and then poured over some chocolate sprinkles. A friend of mine used to make lollies from the juice left over from cooking rhubarb (very pretty pink lollies).
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 1st Apr 05, 8:27 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    I thought I had a recipe for liqourice lollies but I can;t find it now. I think the principle was to cut up pieces of liquorice and steep them in milk - but I can't remember for how long - then take them out before freezing. Someone else may have heard of it though.
  • Sarahsaver
    Just normal squash made up is fine, saves all the fiddling about. You can get sugar free ice poles in poundland or wilkinsons.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • HOLsale
    thanks for the tips on liquorice pops and squash pops, might be helpful for someone else however we won't use them as no one in this house likes liquorice and we don't use anything with sweetners in for health/taste reasons but i'm sure someone else will benefit!

along the same lines as the liquorice pops, i have some crystalised angelica which quite frankly i don't like the taste of but maybe i'll make some of the pops with milk with that for my neighbour who really likes the stuff...

i now know what to do with 10p reduced milk! we got some white chocolate flavoured milk not long ago reduced to 10p, that would have made lovely ice lollies!
  • KK
    Ice lolly ideas
    I do these for my little girl and she loves them. When she was reluctant to eat fruit I would whizz up tinned fruit (peaches are lovely) and mix with yoghurt or fromage frais and freeze. You can even do striped loolies if you can be bothered by freezing different coloured purees in stages. I bought some brilliant ice lolly moulds from lakeland Plastics - they were about 5 but have used them loads and they have an integral straw in the lid/handle so you can sip up all the melted juice! Any fruit puree is lovely frozen. I use the same principal as smoothies, with bananas, fruit juice/puree, yoghurt (I'm sure plain or value yoghurts would be fine) and maybe some cream. You could mix sprinkles in with them, chocolate chips, or actually slices of strawberry or kiwi look nice too. Dried apricots rehydrated and then pureed and sieved make a lovely ice lolly base. Oh, I've inspired myself to make some again now! Angel Delight lollies are supposed to be lovely (according to my hubby). Just plain fruit juice is nice too.
    • By 16011996 1st Apr 05, 11:43 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    for a nice lolly we like homemade lemonade frozen, is very refreshing.
  • HOLsale
    wow! i'm feeling very inspired now! i'm wanting to get dd eating bananas again so this should help and i like the idea of the fromage frais blended in. we also bought some 'angel delight' type stuff from lidl but haven't eaten it yet so i think my first batch will mix that and fruit.

i have purchased a 6 ice lolly tray and a neat little fruit kebab thing for your freezer (lakeland) off ebay (got the lot for 4.50 including postage) but now i'm thinking maybe i should check the poundstore to see if i can find anymore ice lolly trays. i'll also check lakelands site to see how much their lolly trays are, we used to have the type mentioned with the built in straw but they are all lost now, good for a young one, helps keep down the mess!
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 1st Apr 05, 11:02 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Another thought for your ice-lolly trays, as your daughter is only little, little mini ones might be good - ice cube trays, but more the rounded variety rather than the square/rectangular type which might be a bit sharp, or save those little fromage frais pots, if that is feasible. Have a rake round your kitchen for other suitable little pots - something that has just come to my mind, is I have little plastic shot glasses, which would probably be ideal - I think possibly a few adult ice lollies for the bbq if we get a summer this year!
    I used to make lollies many years ago, although it was money saving, it was more that I knew what was in them, and as little additives as possible. No further suggestions than what has already been said. Pureed fruit mixed with fromage frais or plain yoghourt used to work well, fruit kebabs, fresh fruit juice. I vaguely remember doing a jelly ice-lolly, but cannot remember the recipe, if I do will post, but maybe others can help here.
    • misty
    • By misty 1st Apr 05, 11:49 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    Half fill lolly mould with yogurt, put in freezer for half an hour then push in stick. Then top up other half with fresh juice watered down if you want for half and half lolly - they're yum
  • HOLsale
    we were at lakeland today and i had a look at the sippy pop moulds but they wanted 4.99 for them and dh said no. stopped in a bargain shop on the way home and found a slightly smaller version (better size for dd) for only 2.99 so we bought those, i still have my other ones coming from ebay (i knew we'd need another set!) but i also got the fruit kebab freezer today.

i made 2 ice lollies with cran/rasp and orange juice mmmmmmm

i made two with the smoothies we made from strawberries, bananas and greek yogurt, they didn't turn out as nice, i think they needed a touch of sugar.

i'm really looking forward to the frozen fruit kebabs, i've done a strawberry and a piece of banana on each kebab, i'll let you know how they turned out.
    tomorrow i'll be making some more ice lollies with angel delight yum!
  • apple_mint
    After reading this thread, I put a couple of bananas in the freezer. Yesterday lunchtime we had sliced frozen banana topped with crumbled homemade flapjack .... yummy

I think this is going to prove to be a popular dessert in our house (healthy and moneysaving too)
  • megasaver
    Ice lolly moulds....help
    Some wonderful ideas here .... have inspired me to have another go as my dd won't eat fruit either, but loves ice creams and ice lollies. Last year I bought some ice lolly moulds from Woolworths. I tried using them a few times but they were an absolute disaster! I couldn't get the ice lollies out of the moulds. These moulds had handles that "sat" on top of each lolly (like little covers with a stick in the middle). Even if I waited until the lollies had defrosted a bit and pulled on the handles, the ice lollies remained in the moulds until they turned it slush. A couple of times the handles came out with a bit of ice lolly stuck to it. Arghhhh! What was I doing wrong? Didn't have this lovely web site's members to ask advice, so the moulds were put away. Please advice if you can as I would love to avoid buying the shop bought ones.

thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,091Posts Today

6,951Users online

Martin's Twitter