Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 19th Mar 07, 6:53 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 19th Mar 07, 6:53 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 6:53 PM
    Hi B-S! Following recommendations from this site we discovered Tesco Value choc ice and jaffa cakes - which are great. I also use their value flour.

One to avoid - Tesco value *rice crispies*; even the hens wouldn't eat them.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • spiddy100
    • 19th Mar 07, 6:59 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 6:59 PM
    Tesco value biscuits are lovely and the value cheese (cheddar) is fine though Lidl is cheaper. We use the value porridge oats all the time.

Value squash however, is horrible. It tastes like sugary water with chemicals in, which I suppose is about right.
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
    • marybishop
    • By marybishop 19th Mar 07, 7:01 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    marybishop
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:01 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:01 PM
    I've found the Tesco Value range of biscuits to be really good - their digestives (just the good old plain ones) are fab and only 22p a packet. Have also had their wholemeal bread which was really good but for some reason is really hard to come by (don't know why). B/beans are OK but the sauce is a bit thin. Pitta bread and orange juice OK too. Avoid the rubber gloves (fingers stick together after only a few uses!!). Will let you know if I think of any more.
    • marybishop
    • By marybishop 19th Mar 07, 7:02 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    marybishop
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:02 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:02 PM
    Spiddy - great minds think alike re biscuits!!!
    • skystar
    • By skystar 19th Mar 07, 7:04 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    skystar
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:04 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:04 PM
    Agree about the jaffa cakes - mmmm could go some just now!

Also, fruit and veg, cheese, pizzas, chocolate, porridge oats.

That's all I can think of right now.

To be honest, everything food wise I buy is supermarket brand (unless the brand-name is on offer and works out cheaper) and we don't notice any difference.

Off-topic: that's a lovely picture that you have put on Black-Saturn!
  • julesgr
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:06 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:06 PM
    Tesco value mini toasted bread chips with garli.

They'll do me in place of garlic bread croutons anyday :d
    • sarahlouise210
    • By sarahlouise210 19th Mar 07, 7:09 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    sarahlouise210
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:09 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:09 PM
    The Asda smartprice Fruit and Fibre cereal is yummy !
  • black-saturn
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:14 PM
    • 19th Mar 07, 7:14 PM
    Off-topic: that's a lovely picture that you have put on Black-Saturn!
    Originally posted by skystar
    Thanks, thats me and husband to be.
    • scrimperjan
    • By scrimperjan 19th Mar 07, 7:34 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    scrimperjan
    Tesco Value tinned chopped tomatoes and tinned kidney beans are always a good buy, as are their porridge oats and chocolate chip cookies!
  • ti1980
    Hiya B-S.

This is a good thread which I will keep an eye on. I hardly ever buy anything value as I have been disappointed so many times. To be honest I am an M&S and Sainsburys girl and so many things just don't compare IMO.
    I would be very interested to hear what value brands are worth trying.

Have you read the 'Supermarket Own Brand Guide' by Martin Isark (I borrowed it from the library) which basically is a book divided by a category of food or drink and it compares the best selling commercial brand with the core own brand products?
    Not value products I know but often the own brand works out cheaper than value and with a much more superior product.
    One problem with the book though is that prices change all the time but I have gone on what they said about the taste of some of the products.
    • buses7675
    • By buses7675 19th Mar 07, 7:45 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    buses7675
    Spiddy - great minds think alike re biscuits!!!
    Originally posted by marybishop
    I can agree with you all too, seem to be the same as the 'normal' own brand ones, just in a plainer packet and cheaper!

Value biccies are all the same price (from what I've checked) as Nettos and Asdas Smartprice ones too. For some reason though, Asda ones don't have pull tags to open them were as Tesco and Netto do!

But, in terms of value, Tesco would win as you could use a moneyback credit card and clubcard to buy them with!

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • Rage in Eden
    Well as I did an inventory of my pantry earlier I can tell you that in there are Asda Smart Price tinned fruit, pulses, the chilli and curry sauces (the chilli is yum ), tinned new pots (the work really well in onion and pot spanish omlettes), peeled plum toms (don't pay extra for chopped you can do that yourself), "weetabix". We always get SP pittas, crumpets and garlic bread. The SP baked beans used to be nice but they've gone "weird" (DH quote there) and so we splashed out on a huge tray of Heinz as they were something like 10 tins for £2 and we're not impressed with those either. You will generally find though that SP stuff is better for you as they don't put as much sugar, salt and fat in them to save money. SP garlic bread is better for you that the "Good for You" range. We also always get SP butter.
    Last edited by Rage in Eden; 19-03-2007 at 7:56 PM.
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green
    • kazstevens
    • By kazstevens 19th Mar 07, 7:56 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    kazstevens
    Tesco Value Chocolate .. great for making Choc Rice Crispie Cakes .. No one can tell the difference
    • tiff
    • By tiff 19th Mar 07, 8:13 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    All value fruit and veg, bag of value apples is 33p, you cant beat that.

I buy a lot of value tinned veg, sweetcorn, kidney beans, tomatoes, baked beans etc.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 19th Mar 07, 8:15 PM
    • 9,768 Posts
    • 23,773 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    i always always always prefer cheap beans to heinz any day of the week.

i buy own brand cereals/nuts/dried fruit etc and mix to make my own poor womans fruit n fibre/muesli etc

own brand lemon curd is far superior to any posh brand ive tasted

own brand fish in butter sauce - a great base for a quick fish pie (just add mixed veg and top with mash)

another vote for for SP tinned potatoes

own brand apple/orange juice - goes down just as well as the stuff in the fancy packaging. if you have visitors who might turn their noses up, decant into a jug/juice dispensor

own brand kitkats/caramel wafers - for the occasional lunch box treat. 36p for 6 - cant beat it, i couldnt even make them any cheaper

SP tommy k tastes just like heinz/daddies

SP noodles/savoury rice etc - criminally cheap, and a great snack or handy to bulk out a meal. i could live on savoury rice!

and also most of our fruit/veg tends to be SP or own brand

the only thing i have found that i cant compromise on... SP pasta i can eat until the cows come home, but for rice it has to be uncle bens. SP tuna is another one that i just wont touch - more water than fish
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - 2180.08 /6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target 75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I work at sainsburys and buy a lot of the basic range. Jaffa cakes, baked beans, and washing powder, tomatoes fresh and tinned, In fact OH is always complaining that he doesn't know what anything is as it all looks the same, white packets tins with orange writing.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 19th Mar 07, 8:17 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    Tesco value chocolate mousse is nice.
  • scheming_gypsy
    asda smart price noodles are fine for 8p but don't tell anybody i said that
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 19th Mar 07, 8:32 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,221 Thanks
    celyn90
    Found that dried milk powder is the same wherever and I use smart price chocolate for cooking as it melts really well. Things like kidney beans are fine too. I always buy herbal teas and yoghurt in Lidl too, as they are significantly cheaper and often much better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin