Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • DebtFree2012
    • By DebtFree2012 3rd Jul 12, 11:58 AM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 9,584 Thanks
    DebtFree2012
    • 3rd Jul 12, 11:58 AM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 11:58 AM
    Fantastic! Hope to see JumbleJack here too! Thanks op.

I'm in!
    Debt - CCV 3792
    CCB 1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 1787
    Loan 2 1683
    Total 8601 Was 39302
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 3rd Jul 12, 12:30 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    • 3rd Jul 12, 12:30 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 12:30 PM
    Me too because JumbleJack is the inspiration behind this. I'm just making her rose petal jelly at the moment.
    Last edited by Aldahbra; 03-07-2012 at 1:12 PM.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge: week 1 ---------- target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: 100/500 ------------left to spend 400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
    • Soworried
    • By Soworried 3rd Jul 12, 12:47 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 19,997 Thanks
    Soworried
    • 3rd Jul 12, 12:47 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 12:47 PM
    I have never foraged before but I would like to join in.

I have tried clicking your link but it is not working for me
    36/240
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
    • purplesheila
    • By purplesheila 3rd Jul 12, 12:51 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    purplesheila
    • 3rd Jul 12, 12:51 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 12:51 PM
    I like to do a little bit of Foraging - so count me in :-)

My favourite foraging is Rose Hips to make cordial and Bilberries- do you plan to do a Recipe daterbase ??
    April Grocery challenge 0/160 (17th April-30th Apr)
    NSDs - 0/14
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 3rd Jul 12, 1:07 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    • 3rd Jul 12, 1:07 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 1:07 PM
    I have changed the link so hopeful it will work correctly now

I thought that it would be really useful to have a database of recipes and of items which are available in each month. If there is enough interest I will find out how to do this. I have never set up a thread before so I'm completely new at this.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge: week 1 ---------- target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: 100/500 ------------left to spend 400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • jumblejack
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:25 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:25 PM

I thought that it would be really useful to have a database of recipes and of items which are available in each month. If there is enough interest I will find out how to do this. I have never set up a thread before so I'm completely new at this.
    Originally posted by Aldahbra
    Wow! That would be a cool idea

Sounds tricky but the old style recipe index is pretty useful!!

Thanks for starting up the thread. I was a bit chicken to go for it

I've just had a sea beet omelette. Made the usual way, but my foraged sea beets were finely chopped and added to the seasoned eggs then topped with cheese and whammed under a hot grill for the last minute or so.

A nice idea would be for folks to upload pics as much as poss. I love to see them and I get loads of inspiration from other's successes.

Hope you enjoy the rose petal jam recipe!
    I can always repost it on here if others request it.

Shame the weather is so bad today. Too wet for serious foraging. I wanted to look for alexanders but it is torrential!

Maybe tomorrow!

I passed a little bookshop today and looked for Mayer's book and the hedgerow book but to no avail. Guess I will be browsing on eBay later. The Hedgerow book has rave reviews.

Jj
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):30.50/40
    • optimistic
    • By optimistic 3rd Jul 12, 2:27 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    optimistic
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:27 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:27 PM
    I love foraging but mine usually starts later in the year with blackberries, apples and a small pear tree (sounds like a cue for a song!) Anyway, i will follow this thread and learn/pick up tips along the way.

ps dont forget to start collecting the plastic tubs for all the blackberries!
    • ragz
    • By ragz 3rd Jul 12, 2:31 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:31 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 2:31 PM
    Does my hubby bringing home rabbits count? They grow wild
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 3rd Jul 12, 2:31 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 15,636 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    hi all

I would like to join in but not an experienced forager. Can anyone recommend some good books please?

The rose petal jam sounds good too. Jumblejack can you repost it please?

Where to start...................? We do have nasturtions growing in a hanging basket.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • JodyBPM
    • By JodyBPM 3rd Jul 12, 2:38 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    JodyBPM
    I love the idea of a foraging thread! I love foraging, but wouldn't say I do it as often as once a week.

My big tip for this time of the year for those who live near the sea is marsh samphire - absolutely delicious boiled or steamed served with a knob of unsalted butter! I'm hoping to do more seaside foraging, including being brave enough to make shore crab soup with all the shore crabs that the children catch and I've recently bought (but not yet tried out) a prawn trap, so I'm hoping to be eating foraged prawns soon too! I'm also interested in other seafood, but I need to wait until later in the year for that, and I need to learn a bit more about it too. The best book I've found so far for seaside foraging is "Edible Seashore", but I'd love recommendations on other books, as I'm still a beginner at the seaside stuff!

I do a bit of non-seaside foraging, for which "Food for Free" is my bible, but tbh I find a lot of stuff needs to be made into jams/jellies or wine etc, so I need to make sure I have enough time to deal with whatever we forage - I like to be 100% sure that I know what I'm feeding the family, so I tend to stick to the obvious - elderflowers/berries, blackberries, chestnuts,rosehips etc

We're just coming to the end of the wild strawberries in our garden at the mo (tiny and take ages to pick enough to do anything useful with, but a lovely strong scented flavour) so I guess that would be my foraged item for this week...
  • jumblejack
    hi all

I would like to join in but not an experienced forager. Can anyone recommend some good books please?

The rose petal jam sounds good too. Jumblejack can you repost it please?

Where to start...................? We do have nasturtions growing in a hanging basket.

Gintot
    Originally posted by Gintotmelinda
    I will repost the recipe which also has a great, cheap field guide book recommendation:
    Aldahbra,

Here is the rose jelly recipe:

It's a Richard Mabey recipe from his book that I love to capture on foraging pics

Basically collect a couple of cups of rose petals (wild not cultivated as the wild ones are much thinner and process easier). I mean 2 cups crammed full!

Dissolve 2 cups sugar in half a cup of water mixed with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.

Stir in rose petals and stir over a low heat for 30 mins.

Cool a little then pour into sterile jars.

You may choose to keep the petals in or remove them. I tried both:

If you do not strain them out, they rise to the top and look really pretty!

I really hope you get into it! There is so much to forage in your locality. Even in the cities, things like plantain, dandelion, nettles, cleavers, horsetail etc can be found within a stones throw. There are usually much better finds though if you look.

It will help to stretch your grocery budget slightly too!!!
    I needed veggies yesterday but settled for the foraged beets n ramsons so I didn't have to spend on greens.
    Regarding the nasturtiums, have you tried them yet?
    I LOVE them!! I haven't yet tried the flowers as mine are still in bud but the leaves are incredibly tasty!

I particularly love them because they still taste and look great on sandwiches that are prepared the night before to eat the following lunch time. They rinse very well too. No critters can hide on em.
    If you come across an aphid community beneath one, just pull off the plant and discard.
  • jumblejack
    I love foraging but mine usually starts later in the year with blackberries, apples and a small pear tree (sounds like a cue for a song!) Anyway, i will follow this thread and learn/pick up tips along the way.

ps dont forget to start collecting the plastic tubs for all the blackberries!
    Originally posted by optimistic
    Mine used to start then too. I have enjoyed dandelions, nettles, wood sorrel, rose petsls, ramsons and elderflowers so far.

I would encourage everyone to look for the rose petals and elderflowers though as they are everywhere at the moment.

Elderflower fritters are fantastically tasty!!! Definitely one to involve the kids with!

I will post Richard Mabeys recipe later as long as I don't get sidetracked

JodyBPM, I've been looking for marsh samphire this last week but not found any. Found LOADS of rock samphire though!! Have you used Alexanders as those also grow near the sea apparently. I'm eager to try those as they should be coming into flower now so should make identifying them much easier

Let us know how you go on with the prawns
    Last edited by jumblejack; 03-07-2012 at 2:58 PM.
    • JodyBPM
    • By JodyBPM 3rd Jul 12, 2:54 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    JodyBPM
    jumblejack, you mentioned horsetail in your previous post (the rose jelly recipe one) - what can you do with horsetail? I have loads of it growing through the garden, its a complete pest, and almost indestructible - what can I do with it. I'd love to get my own back on it by eating it...
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 12, 2:58 PM
    • 13,872 Posts
    • 188,302 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hello - can I join in - the nasturtium flowers are really tasty too a milder version of the leaves, also heartsease and domestic pansies are nice as well. I am lucky enough to have a purpose built cycle/footpath put in 20 years ago by the builders of a local development and they planted it up with native shrubs which have matured nicely. I walk the dog round most days and there are masses of hazel,blackberries, sloe, wild plum, guelder -rose,crab apples etc, We even found a Kent Cobnut hidden in the undergrowth and I'm certain we have a native walnut tree as well. Its a hive of activity in the harvest season and lots of folks scuttle about with full carrier bags. Also we have a river with good salt marshes so lots of seabeet and sea purslane. It will be fun to compare notes over the season and see what is available in different areas. Cheers Lyn.
    • Moorhen
    • By Moorhen 3rd Jul 12, 3:01 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 13,229 Thanks
    Moorhen
    I foraged some raspberries from my garden yesterday, they have been planted by the birds and there is quite a good crop.
    I just need to get to them before the slugs do!
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack, you mentioned horsetail in your previous post (the rose jelly recipe one) - what can you do with horsetail? I have loads of it growing through the garden, its a complete pest, and almost indestructible - what can I do with it. I'd love to get my own back on it by eating it...
    Originally posted by JodyBPM
    It is one of the most excellent sources of silica so is extremely good for you. Do not eat raw though. It can be used in HM herbal teas and soups etc.

He is a quick lowdown on the plant:

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/horsetail.aspx

It is worth mentioning as a food as nearly everyone has access to it. As you've described, it is a hardy invasive weed so is up there with nettles and dandelions as a weed that you can eat!
    • Soworried
    • By Soworried 3rd Jul 12, 3:25 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 19,997 Thanks
    Soworried

Originally posted by Aldahbra
    Thankyou the link is working now.

The only foraging we have ever done is blackberrys and periwinkles so reading this is an eyeopener.
    36/240
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 3rd Jul 12, 4:09 PM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    We've had a pretty good foraging season up here so far this year. Not sure what we've had on a weekly basis but the elderflowers have been incredible lately so I have made 12 litres of champagne and 6 litres of cordial. We've had nettle soup, wild garlic with everything and even foraged some scallops, brown trout and razor clams. Also got several kilos of winkles on the beach. The wild cherries and raspberries are just beginning to ripen and it looks to be a great year for them too.

I don't think the nasturtiams in my garden count for foraging as they were sown by me but as well as the flowers and leaves, the seeds are edible and when picked while soft and pickled, make a great substitute for capers.
  • jumblejack
    We've had a pretty good foraging season up here so far this year. Not sure what we've had on a weekly basis but the elderflowers have been incredible lately so I have made 12 litres of champagne and 6 litres of cordial. We've had nettle soup, wild garlic with everything and even foraged some scallops, brown trout and razor clams. Also got several kilos of winkles on the beach. The wild cherries and raspberries are just beginning to ripen and it looks to be a great year for them too.

I don't think the nasturtiams in my garden count for foraging as they were sown by me but as well as the flowers and leaves, the seeds are edible and when picked while soft and pickled, make a great substitute for capers.
    Originally posted by HariboJunkie
    Oh my goodness!!

May I come foraging with you!! Awesome.

My elderflower champagne went wrong. It has (turn away now if you are eating) got snotty bits in like little clouds.
    Is it a sterilisation issue?
    I had a kit from freecyle with demi john, bottles and sterilising sachets in. I used the sterilisation packets according to instructions so can't understand it.
    The lady I had it from said that she has had it 12 years in the loft so could that be why they have failed?

My cordial was a success though (but it was consumed promptly)

Ps, I as watching Hugh last night on YouTube "cook on the wild side" and a guy there was injecting the sand with salt water and the razor clams came up and were harvested. They looked good o eat.
    Last edited by jumblejack; 03-07-2012 at 4:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

413Posts Today

3,888Users online

Martin's Twitter