Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 29th Jun 12, 4:51 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Tony
    HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback
    • 29th Jun 12, 4:51 PM
    HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback 29th Jun 12 at 4:51 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for visiting.

We have recently added the HolidaySafe Premier travel policy to our New Travel Insurance guide.

As this insurer is a new option - offering good cover levels - your feedback is important to us.

Please let us know what you think.

Have you used or contacted them, made a claim, is it is missing anything or just general feedback on the insurer.

Hit 'Reply' to discuss or ask a question.

Thanks.

MSE Tony

If you spot a rate change that we haven't already mentioned or added into articles or tips, Please send me a PM about it

Get Martin's Free Money Saving Tips E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 04-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Page 16
    • san8888
    • By san8888 2nd Nov 18, 8:13 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    san8888
    This is the review I posted on Trustpilot this summer:
    I took out travel insurance through Holidaysafe last autumn. The process was quick and straightforward and the premium reasonable. However, as referred to in several reviews, the measure of this product is not the simplicity of purchase but the ease and effectiveness should you be unlucky enough to need to make a claim.
    While on holiday in the US our hire car was broken into and my suitcase and my partner’s bag of technology items stolen.
    Making a claim was not through Holidaysafe - it was through an organisation called TCF (Travel Claims Facilities). You had to fill in a long form. You also had to produce various documents including ones showing the dates and cost of your trip and a written police report (both of which we had) and original receipts for all items claimed.
    How many people keep receipts for clothing? Exactly. I emailed to explain that I did not have any receipts for my clothing and shoes and that the (thankfully few) items of decent jewellery I lost were either gifts or inherited, so I didn’t have receipts for those either and asked TCF to advise. Their response was “Please note that we cannot give definitive responses until we have received the claims forms and the relevant documents back to us. We evaluate each claim on its individual merits.” Not helpful.
    The excess was spread across several categories, £60 for clothes, £60 for shoes, £60 for the suitcase, £60 for toiletries, £60 for sunglasses. Meaning that the total excess for a normal mixed bag was several hundreds of pounds. Yes, I will read the details of cover more carefully when taking out a new policy.
    Finally, the form stated that any payout would be reduced according to the age of the item claimed. So not new for old. Not sure how that is supposed to work - you’re meant to buy replacement items from a charity shop?
    Anyway, all this bureaucracy and hassle, when added to the stress and upset of having lost my possessions, plus the massive excess, was enough to put me off making a claim. Perhaps that was the idea?
    Contrast my experience to that of my partner, whose insurers (NFU) paid out in full within a couple of weeks of him sending them an email listing the items lost and the replacement value.
    All in all very disappointing. If I could give zero stars I would. I won’t be using Holidaysafe again.
  • Holidaysafe Representative
    Hi san8888,

As per my original reply on Trust Pilot;

Thank you for your review, my name is Amber and I am part of the Holidaysafe team. I am so sorry to hear your possessions were stolen, and that you were subsequently dissatisfied with the outcome of your claim. It is very difficult for me to comment on cases on a public forum such as this, but our policy wordings do make our T&Cs very clear in terms of excess, claims procedures and necessary evidence. If you would like to make an official complaint, please visit https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/complaints/ and complete the short form. Once again I am very sorry for any and all inconvenience caused. Kind regards, Amber

Did you make an official complaint? If not I would be happy to raise one on your behalf? Simply email responses@tifgroup.co.uk or complete the form on the page above.

Kind regards,

Amber
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Shak1234
    • By Shak1234 6th Nov 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shak1234
    Just a quick post from me to say a big thank you to Amber, who was a massive help in escalating and resolving the issues I was having with my claim.

I stumbled across this thread after the company failed to respond, but Amber had things moving within just a few hours.

I have now received confirmation of settlement (the figures were correct) and await payment.
    • Roybilltom
    • By Roybilltom 10th Nov 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Roybilltom
    Response to Shak1234
    Good luck with the claim Shak1234 - but I suspect that you've not received any payment yet !
    This "Brand Manager for Holidaysafe" (Amber) has been responding to never ending criticisms on this forum since Oct 26th 2012. Their response to claims can only be described as appalling and I'm baffled why MSE are still giving this outfit such prominent publicity. I've now switched to COVERWISE.CO.UK (underwritten by part of the AXA Assistance group of companies) for travel insurance. Their prices are very similar and hopefully their claims dept. will perform in a prompt professional manner and not make their unfortunate customers jump through hoops !
    Hi Roybilltom,

Thank you for your post, my name is Amber and I am the Manager for Holidaysafe Travel Insurance.

I am so sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the service you received from our appointed claims team. I appreciate you have now switched providers, but I would still like to investigate your feedback as a matter of urgency.

To allow me to do this, can you please send your details to responses@tifgroup.co.uk? If you haven't already, I can also raise an official complaint on your behalf?

Once again I am very sorry for any and all inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Amber
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 19th Nov 18, 11:36 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    downshifted
    Front page of the Times dated 20 November makes it clear what a shower TIF Group are, being investigated for fraud by the Financial Conduct Authority and their doctors for medical negligence by the BMC
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 20th Nov 18, 9:30 PM
    • 20,672 Posts
    • 12,802 Thanks
    dacouch
    Posted without comment

My teenage daughter is on a gap year before going to university and purchased what she thought was the ideal backpackers insurance policy, underwritten by TIF. Unfortunately whilst in Cambodia she was involved in a very nasty boat accident, through no fault of her own, and suffered a broken back. Prior to this, her mobile phone had been stolen, so she asked me to coordinate medical treatment from the UK. She was taken by ambulance on a four hour trip to Phnom Penh where the clinic she was taken to demanded $400 to cover the cost of an MRI scan before they would even see her! This company have been absolutely appalling the whole way through. I had to constantly telephone them to see what was happening to my daughter. The Foreign Office sent an official from the local embassy in Phnom Penh to see my daughter and told me to get her out of there asap as it was not a good hospital. I telephoned the insurers to ask them to move her and this took many days, during which time both my daughter and husband and I were desperately worried, wondering what was going on. When I phoned the emergency helpline, I expected them to say that they would take care of everything and not to worry. Not the case. I had to phone five or six times a day to get updates. I was not kept informed at all. My daughter wished to be repatriated to the UK as she was terrified that she was going to be left paralysed and wanted the best treatment. The insurers kept stalling about making the arrangements, all the while my teenage daughter was languishing in a Cambodian clinic, alone, afraid, with a broken back!!! To cut a long story short, I ended up flying out there myself, spending thousands of pounds on flights (my daughter had to remain lying down as much as possible, meaning we had to fly business class), hotel, etc and have submitted a claim for reimbursement over a month ago. Only just had acknowledgement of my claim form. Have no idea when I am going to be reimbursed. Absolutely appalling.
    Originally posted by poggersthegreat
    "A whistle-blower said: 'I remember patients needing life-saving or life-changing operations and [the doctor] just wouldn't pick up the phone for weeks.

'Patients would say, and I agree, practice was to frustrate the patient's family so much that they would either give up or pay for the treatment themselves.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6409093/Boots-travel-insurer-faces-fraud-medical-negligence-probes-deaths-customers.html
    For any customers concerned about the recent allegations made in The Times:

We would like to reassure all Holidaysafe customers that the accusations against Holidaysafe and tifgroup are completely untrue, we stand by our philosophies which are based on years of experience, expertise and putting the customer first.

We have put together information on why we work the way that we do here: https://philosophies.tifgroup.co.uk/. You can also read our official press statement here: https://www.tifgroup.co.uk/blog/response-to-allegations-by-the-times/.

If anyone has any questions or queries, please feel free to email me directly via Holidaysafe@tifgroup.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Amber (Holidaysafe Manager)
    • uk1
    • By uk1 21st Nov 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    uk1
    Hi Amber, just a couple of questions I ask here because I think others are also interested.

Firstly, is your post intended to include Holidayrisks?

Secondly, what is pretty alarming for customers is the feedback on Trustpilot with respect to TIF claims handling. It gives the clear impression that claims are being "neglected" to put it mildly.

What is TIFs' specific and detailed defence of the volume and detail of those comments. Is it that TIF acknowledges that there was a problem or that there hasn't been one. The comments on Trustpilot seem to triangulate with the press coverage.

I think confidence in TIF for many is based on whether they believe that they are in fact covered for the purposes they bought a policy.

Thanks.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 21st Nov 18, 12:55 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    2016 GMC Hearing TIF and General Medical Council ...AGAIN
    Just seen this response from TIF: "when customers wish to make a complaint about any Doctor, they do so through the GMC. The GMC are obliged to investigate these complaints, regardless of the accuracy or validity of the claim". YES and NO. The TIF cases are with the National Incident Team (NIT) team and they dont get there without reason. They are kicked out at a local level before.

Furthermore, in 2016 the GMC reluctantly re-admitted Nadal to the register after trying to prevent it. In that tribunal a patient recounted that Nadal had said: “90% of people die of deep vein thrombosis after surgery” in relation to a favourite TIF topic. The one of “too dangerous to fly in an air ambulance”in the 2016 Tribunal the independent doctor, Dr F, told the tribunal “that it is highly unlikely that you [Nadal] said this because it is manifestly wrong”. I bet Dr F is thinking he made a terrible misjudgment now. In other words, it is so absurd that a serious doctor would not have said such a thing. Sources tell us the GMC are looking into resubmitting that evidence given that there is a serial history of suggested lies and untruths in multiple cases it would start to look like.....
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 21st Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Boots/TIF - Shocking in Cuba
    Just seen this post from August 2018.....“My 71 year old mum is currently stuck in Cuba. After being on holiday for a week she fell and fractured her hip. She had to wait over a week (3 hospitals and a 12 hour drive by ambulance to the latest one) for an operation to replace her hip. Covered2go has been of no help and continually fob her off. They are trying anything and everything they can to get out of paying her medical bills. She is desperate to just get home as she has been there for almost 7 weeks. This is absolutely disgusting! Even the embassy are disgusted with the delay and lack of help and support.”
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd Nov 18, 7:47 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM – TIF Group. What if the FCA dossier is correct and Travel Insurance Facilities
    Been going through some TrustPilot reviews of TIF group...and their other TrustPilot areas
    MSE forum readers, there is an ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM HERE. There are hundreds of cases of abuse, neglect etc and we see circulating on Twitter photos of hospitals saying they are owned money in Asia. Others claim Greece, Turkey, Canada, Peru, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia…
    This cannot be an accident and each case is backed up with a story that reinforces the narrative that not only are bills unpaid, making insurance worthless (since no hospital will deal with your policy), but delays, and untruths according to the stories put Travel Insurance Facilities in a position to avoid helping you, make you pay and then avoid repaying the hospital.
    TIF have taken down their Facebook page and their Twitter account weeks ago and tried I think to delete the TrustPilot reviews in an effort to hide appalling case after appalling case. Numerous people have said that their complaints have been deleted and they have been blocked from Holidaysafe, Alpha etc. Who on earth password protects their marketing sites unless you want to be in control of reviews and posts because you need to.
    The headlines have focused on serious cases involving deaths. There can be no doubt whatsoever that further deaths will come to light in the coming weeks. Why would TIF continue to employ a doctor that the GMC has already tried to strike off? Is this just staring us in the face? We also read hundreds of cases of non-payment of non-medical claims with claims and emails not be responded to for seven months and more.
    We then find out that Amber Moon’s (TIF and Holidaysafe brand manger who responds when you message in desperation aboard and when in trouble) father is a director that sold an insolvent travel claims insurance business to TIF Group.
    What exactly is in that 40,000 word dossier the Times stated was sent to the Financial Conduct Authority. Given very few people have to claim the shear number, the NATURE of each appalling case and I am afraid the scale of complaints as a percentage of claims would indicate there is a serious problem here. More than a problem actually.
    If it walks and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck, even if we have been told otherwise. The hundreds of people that complain as a MINORITY since the majority don’t have to make a claim are quite clear in their verdict. Their stories indicate a systematic approach that the Whistleblower said was the case that goes beyond serious medical cases to all cases it would appear.
    As MSE forum readers we have to ask ourselves the question. What if the Times reports correctly that the dossier to the FCA is true in its allegations and in fact Travel Insurance Facilities and therefore the brands are engaging in systematic insurance fraud. Go to TrustPilot and filter the reviews to bad….they are not talking about a slow website but fraud plain and simple. Why ask somebody to pay a hospital bill or sign liability of 18,000 Euros when she is in that hospital and you can just call them? Is it so you can then not pay once she has left.
    The question is what compensation is available to people who purchased these products? If you purchased a policy that the FCA then decide would not have paid you and was in fact a scam surely the seller must refund the policy and fees earned repaid? Maybe that is one for Martin Lewis himself.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 22nd Nov 18, 8:04 PM
    • 5,592 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Looks like a POnzi scheme and it will fold soon
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • uk1
    • By uk1 22nd Nov 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    uk1
    It isn’t as good as a Ponzi scheme, because no one other than the directors appear to get paid.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd Nov 18, 8:58 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    TIF Group - Holidaysafe 35 hrs ago TrustPilot
    This is the worst Insurance company I have ever dealt with. I suffered acute pancreatitis in Crete in June. My traumatised wife contacted the company on the number given and was told that I was covered for a private clinic. When I arrived at the clinic the diagnosis was made. My excess was £500 so I was not covered for their bill. Incidentally, the staff at the clinic who deal with policies all the time said that they had NEVER encountered such a large excess. I was then told that I had to be admitted to hospital and because we had been told that I was covered for private health went to the private hospital. After I had been there for a day I was told that private care was not covered. Furthermore the hospital refused even to speak to TIF because they had been unpaid by them on countless previous occasions. I was in hospital for 4 days and had to settle the bill myself on a credit card before I was allowed to leave. The medical fees alone were nearly £5000. Throughout the whole procedure the company were appalling to deal with. They are a complete disgrace. They are now receiving bad press in the national papers. Not before time! My advice would be never to use them as inevitably you will have a great deal of stress when you need it least and will be left dissatisfied with the end result. Their promises are not worth the paper they are written on. My policy purported to cover me for £10 million of medical cover and repatriation costs. What a joke and what a con.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    LEFT ME TO PAY FOR AIR AMBULANCE FOR MY MOTHER (TrustPilot 4 hours ago)
    Appalling company. The TIMES article (20/11/18) was spot on. TrustPilot – don’t even think of taking this review down and TIF don't deny you know this case reference. You know full well I had to take you to the Financial Ombudsman to recover the cost of the air ambulance WE PAID for our mother to be evacuated at the request of the treating surgeons. You offered us £4,000 as a free option, thinking we might grab the cash but the Ombudsman made you pay a multiple of that which still didn't cover the full cost we paid, you should have paid when we needed it. The GMC are perusing this case against TIF “doctors” on our behalf.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd Nov 18, 9:08 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Travel Insurance Facilities - non-payment of hospital in Vietnam (TrustPilot 38 hours ago)
    My girlfriend was hit by a car in vietnam and taken to hospital so I rang the insurance and told them and it all seemed fine, I filled out the forms that were sent over and sent them back. The hospital then came and told me that my insurance wouldn't pay them meaning I had to pay over £1000 in medical bills in cash which I just about managed. After returning home I was constantly told for two weeks that our case was being reviewed however I was then told I needed to fill out another piece of paperwork which I was meant to do at the start which I was never told about and the case couldn't go any further until I had done so. I would be told one week and you'll have answer yet I was never contacted, I would have to ring up and wait 40 minutes on the phone to speak to someone that didn't know anything about the case to then be told we need this piece of info now. I was finally (3 months after) told they would pay out (coincidentally the night after we posted a complaint about them on Twitter) and I would have it in 5 days time, it's now been 15 and no contact from them only calls and emails that I have initiated I have only been rung once by them.
    • jonathan Caine
    • By jonathan Caine 5th Jan 19, 1:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jonathan Caine
    It took Ombudsman intervention to agree my claim
    Hello,
    I made a claim early 2018 after heavy snowfall closed the slopes. I forwarded the paperwork, but my claim was rejected.
    We understand that you were unable to ski for 2 days due to piste closure as a result of adverse weather.
    Unfortunately, your selected policy (HolidaySafe Lite) does not include cover for Piste closure. Cover is only provided in the event of avalanche or absence of snow. We are therefore unable to consider your claim.
    I wrote back as the policy wording stated ‘unable to ski in your pre-booked resort due to adverse weather conditions including lack of snow'.
    This wording does not suggest cover is solely for lack of snow, but adverse conditions including lack of snow, so I wrote back twice. I received no replies except the standard automated replies, then I wrote to the ombudsman. The rejection was quickly changed to accepted and the payment made with a small additional payment for my inconvenience.
    I won't use Holidaysafe again as this was an obvious case of ' ignore the customer and they will go away eventually'.
    Last edited by jonathan Caine; 05-01-2019 at 1:38 PM. Reason: added some text included in the reply from Holidaysafe.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 5th Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    uk1
    The Holidaysafe/TIF forum rep hasn't even bothered reading posts since November 2018 and they have removed TIF linkage for some of their sub-brands on the individual web sites presumably in order to mislead the public with respect to the links to TIF.

I find it bewildering that with all the so-called insurance protections we are supposed to have that an outfit with this track record is allowed to continue taking premium income.
    Hi jonathan Caine,

Thank you for your post, my name is Amber and I am the Manager for Holidaysafe Travel Insurance.

Firstly, I am so sorry you were dissatisfied with your experience with us. Your feedback is unacceptable and I would like to investigate what happened here so I can discuss with the Claims Manager.

To allow me to do this, can you please email me your surname, date of birth and postcode so I can track down your policy? If you also have your claim or complaint number to hand that would be really helpful.

Once again I am very sorry for any and all inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Amber
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

5,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Should the contactless payment limit be increased? If so, to what? Pls vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/xpGaKlS5Mr

• No its completely wrong. Your contract is with the shop that you bought it off. The staff at o2 should be better? https://t.co/GXVXHvPkZv

• PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• Follow Martin