Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneylover
    • By moneylover 19th Jun 12, 9:02 PM
    • 1,622Posts
    • 408Thanks
    moneylover
    0 WOW
    Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?
    • 19th Jun 12, 9:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? 19th Jun 12 at 9:02 PM
    Have been dithering over National Trust membership for husband and myself wondering if I will get enough use to pay almost 70. We are going to Northern Ireland for a few days and will go to a couple of properties and several beaches where you pay for parking so would get some good use right away.
    Just wondered if there were any offers anyone knew of? Thank you
Page 12
    • ajtowers
    • By ajtowers 22nd Aug 16, 3:39 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ajtowers
    I've not seen any codes for a while but if you live near a property where they have a membership desk or van it's worth just turning up and asking if they have any offers. I saved 25 on family membership today by doing this. You do have to ask though, don't just look at the prices advertised.
    • dickandjill
    • By dickandjill 4th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dickandjill
    Will a National Trust for Scotland membership card work in the new car parking machines that are appearing in all the National Trust car parks ?
    • Cunners23
    • By Cunners23 21st Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cunners23
    Any current discount codes available for family annual membership? We'd love to sign up but 115 is a bit much for us to stretch to!
    • Paulinuk
    • By Paulinuk 16th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulinuk
    ?
    Oh what's. Oh?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Robin9
    Not read the entire thread but work for them as a volunteer .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 16th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Can't see the point in the previous two posts ... I think I must have missed something.... why is Robin telling us he's a volunteer? So what?

But it's all been covered in aforegoing pages - English NT, Scottish NT and New Zealand Heritage etc etc....

The New Zealand option doesn't offer free parking (and the English NT are starting to get a tiny bit more determined about parking, I suspect) ... but does let you in to houses and gardens. The Scottish option does get you free parking (even though their cards can't be used in the English NT machines that are springing up everywhere). And the English option is ... well ... it's the English option .... it's the most expensive and, unless you've had five years continuous years membership they won't grant you the old person's discount - you pay the full amount.

When my New Zealand ticket expires (I had a five year one which, at the time, cost around 130 for five and a half years ... you were given the extra six months free ... but the five year option is no longer available) I'll be going down the Scottish route. Free parking and a lower anuual renewal.

As we speak the Scottish option is 72 annually for the OAP concession - irrespective of whether you pay annually via direct debit, monthly by direct debit or debit or credit card. No apparent incentive to pay in one lump sum, as I believe there used to be (will stand corrected if wrong on that point) ... this presumably does away with the need to get a direct debit discount and then have to cancel it and then take out another one ... etc etc (for those who did actually go to the trouble of doing so).

Non OAPs pay 96 per couple, a year, and there are other options for individuals and families, of course..... all cheaper than the English NT. Remeber though, you don't get the English handbook ... unsurprisingly it's a Scottish one so either go online for details or buy one off Ebay.

If the English NT weren't so greedy by keeping on upping their prices to ridiculous levels and kept preventing OAPs (with less than five yrs membership behind them) from qualifying for a discount and maybe didn't use every opportunity to extract every last penny from it's loyal subjects, then maybe less people would look for alternatives.
    Last edited by Stan.In.Devon; 18-03-2018 at 2:21 PM.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 18th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 5,588 Thanks
    deanos
    I have just renewed my NZ family membership for 51, this gets access to National Trust and English Heritage sites, if i bought them in the UK it would cost me 216 a 165 premium !

We always spend cash when on the sites on food etc, something they wouldn't get normally because we wouldn't be able to afford visiting these places

The parking isn't an issue as i have yet to visit a site that charges, and if they do i would just pay
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 19th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 13,269 Thanks
    Alikay
    There's a current offer for a 15 National Trust gift card which you can use in the shops and cafes. Code is S17020 if you join online at www.nationaltrust.org.uk

NT membership is not exactly a bargain, but if you like visiting NT properties and were going to join anyway, it's a bit more useful than the usual offers of free binoculars or picnic rugs.
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 17th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    Looks like New Zealand won't be an option moving forward, I received this email this morning:

The new price is 155 for a family - a staggering 360% increase.

As a member of Heritage New Zealand based overseas, we would like to notify you about some significant changes in our overseas membership prices and categories. It is the first time we have increased our prices for some categories in 11 years, so they reflect the truer value of the membership package we offer.

The changes follow an investigation into our membership programme charges and costs. Factors such as dramatically-rising postal charges are impacting us. But it was also clear there was a significant gap between the charges Heritage New Zealand sets for access to NZ and overseas properties and historic places and those of our sister organisations overseas like English Heritage and the National Trust.

We believe the new prices create a like-for-like market for people supporting heritage. Our aim is to promote the message that people overseas can, and should, support their local heritage agencies. The changes enable us to focus more prominently on our New Zealand-based members (and potential new members), as well as overseas members who enjoy visiting and experiencing the unique heritage in New Zealand.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 19,784 Thanks
    Doc N
    Looks like New Zealand won't be an option moving forward, I received this email this morning:

The new price is 155 for a family - a staggering 360% increase.
    Originally posted by dodgy
    Good news for members of the English National Trust - looks like they've finally paid some heed to the complaints they've been getting from members about this exploitative little trick.
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 17th May 19, 3:10 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    Or you could view it as price fixing .. which is illegal.

There's no way to justify a 360% increase on the back of 'increasing costs', so clearly they've only done it (and chosen the price carefully) to match the English National Trust.

There are obviously other options as this thread outlines, however I suspect those organisations may also end up with similar shady agreements if English NT gets its way.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th May 19, 3:18 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 5,588 Thanks
    deanos
    Still $95 (roughly 50) for family membership on NZ just checked , just renewed 2 weeks ago as well, or is this price rise for the future ?

Not received any email
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 17th May 19, 3:32 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    They said it was effective immediately, although they'd allow me to renew at the old rates (as my renewal is up in June) - but yeah, they don't seem to have updated the site yet.

Please note that we will honour our old pricing for current renewals up until midnight 31 July 2019. After this, your membership will be considered as lapsed and will be eligible for the increased pricing. Your next renewal, in 12 months, will of course feature the updated prices. For your information, the new prices and categories are:

Individual adult membership NZ$200
    Family membership NZ$350 (2 adults and school-aged children)
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th May 19, 3:55 PM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 19,784 Thanks
    Doc N
    Or you could view it as price fixing .. which is illegal.

There's no way to justify a 360% increase on the back of 'increasing costs', so clearly they've only done it (and chosen the price carefully) to match the English National Trust.

There are obviously other options as this thread outlines, however I suspect those organisations may also end up with similar shady agreements if English NT gets its way.
    Originally posted by dodgy
    Illegal? I'd love to see you trying to nail that one on a New Zealand charity given two options - put the price up or lose the concession!

English NT are working through the others, as you suspect. And about time too. Let them charge what they want, obviously, but lose the reciprocal arrangement that's being exploited by people intent on cheating a British charity.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 17th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    fred246
    But they aren't cheating because they sometimes buy a coffee when they visit. Surely the odd coffee will pay for hundreds of historic buildings and gardens, miles of coastline and vast areas of beautiful countryside. It seems sad that the bad behaviour of a few Brits threatens a great international collaboration.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 17th May 19, 7:51 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Yeah, great coffee, Fred. Although declined a cake on the last occasion .... seemed a bit pricey and the portion size wasn't great. I thought, two coffees, yup, that'll do.

Although you'll be over the moon to know I haven't renewed the New Zealand ticket this time. No, we went for the Scottish option. Well, it was cheaper plus we get the old !!!!!!s rates without having to wait 5 years as you do with the other lot.

It was all fine though - we got into Killerton last week for nothing, had a mooch round the Classic Car Show, and came home. No coffee on that occasion .... you don't want to spoil them,do you?
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 18th May 19, 7:32 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Looks like the game's up with Heritage NZ, as I received the received the following e-mail from them yesterday

As a valuable member of Heritage New Zealand based overseas, we would like to notify you about some significant changes in our overseas membership prices and categories. It is the first time we have increased our prices on some categories in 11 years, so they reflect the truer value of the membership package we offer. We are also removing some categories to make it easier for us to manage and for you to join or renew.
    The changes follow an investigation into our membership programme charges and costs. Factors such as postal charges – which have risen exponentially– are impacting us. But it was also clear there was a significant gap between the charges Heritage New Zealand sets for access to NZ and overseas properties and historic places and those of our sister organisations overseas like English Heritage and the National Trust.
    Unfortunately it became increasingly apparent there were many UK nationals using our membership programme simply to enjoy the reciprocal access we provide to properties and events managed by the likes of English Heritage and National Trust. Many people were not aware of, or supportive of, our work in New Zealand.
    We believe the new prices create a like-for-like market for people supporting heritage. Our aim is to promote the message that people overseas can, and should, support their local heritage agencies. The changes enable us to focus more prominently on our New Zealand-based members (and potential new members), as well as overseas members who enjoy visiting and experiencing the unique heritage in New Zealand.
    With immediate effect, there will now be two overseas membership categories priced as below:
    • Individual adult membership NZ$200
    • Family membership NZ$350
    Thankfully, I manged to renew just in time, as in the post today was my renewed (at all prices) membership card until 1 June 2020.

No doubt some posters will still indulge in a bit of self-righteous schadenfreude though!
    Last edited by beefturnmail; 18-05-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,781Posts Today

5,889Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin