Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 16th Mar 07, 8:15 AM
    • 10,422Posts
    • 58,367Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    15p out of every spent on food is thrown away....what a waste
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:15 AM
    15p out of every spent on food is thrown away....what a waste 16th Mar 07 at 8:15 AM
    for every 1 spent on food 15p of it is thrown away on average.....

what a blinking waste........i am sure that our past generations would be horrified with that....

i put it down to impulse buying at the supermarkets....and i must admit i was one of then that used to throw loads of food away each week....as we didnt eat it by the sell by date was up.....

now i hardly have any waste.... first of all because of the brill os.... plus now that i am not going to supermarkets for my shopping..... there is practically 0 waste.... and what waste there is the dog eats and the chicken...
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 1
  • apple_mint
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:40 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:40 AM
    Practically zero waste here too Cooltrikerchick. I like to get 'free soup' from all the odds and ends in the fridge and as time has gone on I've managed to get estimating what I need more in line with what I will use.

If 15p is the average, and we MSE's are not throwing food into the bin ... how much is being thrown away in some households? Someone else is diffinately using my 15p per pound!
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
  • overlykeensaver
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:47 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:47 AM
    they said on Radio 4 this morning that on average we throw away one third of our food purchase. Incredible! But then half of that is veg peelings, used teabags and so on. Even so it is an enormous amount of waste - wasted food and wasted money.

One of the reasons they gave was that so many people can't cook any more so cannot make a meal out of random ingredients in the fridge and cupboard. They just throw them away and buy for a particular meal!

I am sure other MSEs are the same but we enjoy making a creation out of the fridge and cupboard once a week we call it "what's in the fridge pasta" and very tasty it usually is too!
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 16th Mar 07, 8:48 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:48 AM
    and our 15p!

I don't understand why they are counting things like used T bags though? A used T bag isn't food wasted, although it should be composted if possible.
    • bexbex
    • By bexbex 16th Mar 07, 8:49 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    bexbex
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:49 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:49 AM
    Nothing of mine is wasted, all the left overs go on the garden
    We have a bokashi composter in the kitchen so all the scraps of food etc go in there and are made into compost for the garden.
    They're great things, I recomend them to everyone! My council actually gave me 2 of them free through a promotion too so even more money saving.
  • overlykeensaver
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:52 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:52 AM
    does the bokashi composter sit in your kitchen bexbex? How much space does it take up? and then do you chuck it on your soil after a few weeks?
    • bexbex
    • By bexbex 16th Mar 07, 8:59 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    bexbex
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:59 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 8:59 AM
    It takes hardley any room up at all, I'll take a pic in a min to show you! lol
    You add a little bit of the bran you need to turn in into compost and keep draining the liquid off it. It doesn't smell bad, just sweet. The liquid can be put down the drain to keep the drains fresh too, or diluted and used as plant food.
    When it's finished you add it all to your big composter outside or dig it in some sil somewhere for a few weeks as will be too asidic to put straight onto the plants.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 16th Mar 07, 9:03 AM
    • 10,422 Posts
    • 58,367 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • 16th Mar 07, 9:03 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 9:03 AM
    lets say you spend an average of 50 per week on shopping ....according to these figures mentioned on the bbc breakfast programme you would be throwing away
    50 x 15p .....= 7.50

and as you say apple-mint that is averaged out... so there are some households throwing out a loty more than that...

and they wonder why they havent got any money....
    Work to live= not live to work
    • bexbex
    • By bexbex 16th Mar 07, 9:08 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    bexbex
    • 16th Mar 07, 9:08 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 9:08 AM
    If this works it shows you the bokashi composter I have in my kitchen.
    You can put everything in it, cooked meat, cheese, fish, anything (except teabags.. lol, too much water in them but you can always add them to the big composter bin) You just fill it up, leave it 2 weeks and add it to the garden. You need 2 so when you're waiting 2 weeks for the other one to do it's thing you start filling the spare up.

• angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 16th Mar 07, 9:17 AM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    I do find it absolutely incredible that so much is thrown away. When I first started moneysaving, I kept a list of everything I threw away over a couple of weeks and totalled up using the receipts from the supermarket what, in money terms it amounted to, I was staggered! Never again! Now I chop up vegetables if I think they are unlikely to be cooked and make up puddings to try to use up milk, etc.

I compost everything too BexBex as I have a large garden, we have four compost bins and a wormery for uncooked and garden waste and a green cone for cooked waste.

I have been staying more often at my OH's house and he doesn't really have much room for composting facilities, I had to throw a half pack of spinach away as it had suddenly gone horrible and slimey last night and I felt so guilty about it I had throwing food away!

I think I might look into getting one of these composters - they sound great!
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
  • overlykeensaver
    thanks bexbex these look great. Think I will head over to the gardening forum to talk more about composting!
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 16th Mar 07, 9:45 AM
    • 7,517 Posts
    • 24,818 Thanks
    newlywed
    I used to be one of those who threw lots of food away. Stale bread by the half loaf, loads of veg that went bad , milk, eggs, yoghurts....

Then I found MSE and OS . Now the only things that get thrown are the odd potato that goes bad (these are under the sink and I never remember to check them ). Everything else gets used. I never throw any meat away as it gets frozen as soon as I buy it (unless the meal plan shows it will be eaten before its date). All veg gets used as I use up whatever will go bad first, or else I make a veg curry or veg soup with it all.

Hate throwing stuff away. Even veg peelings - but we don't have a garden to add compost to.
    working on clearing the clutter
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 16th Mar 07, 9:47 AM
    • 7,517 Posts
    • 24,818 Thanks
    newlywed
    Just found an article about this if anyone missed it (like I did).

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16032007/325/homes-throw-third-food.html

Supermarkets could also help by putting fewer items in packs of meat, fruit and vegetables.

"If you want three pork chops, they shouldn't sell you four," she said. "If you eat half a bag of salad, you should be able to reseal it and eat the rest the next day."
    Hmmm, so you can't take a chop out of the pack and freeze it??? You can't use sticky tape to reseal the salad bag??? Surely if the supermarket uses smaller packs then we waste even more packaging, which they say is half the UK's waste already!! :confused:
    Last edited by newlywed; 16-03-2007 at 9:52 AM.
    • liz545
    • By liz545 16th Mar 07, 10:05 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    liz545
    I think it has something to do with people losing confidence in their ability to know when food is 'off'. How many posts are there on here asking whether you can freeze an item of food, or whether it's ok to eat something that was cooked a few days previously? Sadly I think many people don't have the same understanding of food that former generations did, and don't trust their own instincts when it comes to smelling and tasting food. Also, the number of food scares means that a lot of people 'play it safe' and throw away perfectly good food, as you don't know how long it's been sitting in a supermarket chiller.

WRT the woman who's upset that pork chops come packed in 4's - why doesn't she just go to the butcher? Or freeze the extra one?
    2015 comp wins - 370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
  • fizzel81
    wow! and i must admit i used to throw quite a bit away
    DFW nerd club number 039 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb 6,247.98/6282.80
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target 4k + cb 643.89 /6412.80
  • kittiwoz
    Obviously the best solution is to buy things that aren't pre-packed. Then you can buy just how much you want. Putting fewer items in packs is a dumb idea. If there were three pork chops in a pack and you wanted to buy four you would have to buy two packs and then you would have six pork chops, two of which are unwanted so I don't see how that would help. Plus, as you say, it is even more packaging waste. It is ironic really that packaging which is supposed to cut food waste is being fingered as one of the culprits in creating it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Mar 07, 10:31 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    I have weaned myself away and no longer shop at any big supermarket and have zero waste

I have just placed an online order at goodness direct and ok I have to think in advance but I have left the impulse-buying generation far behind. Craigfarm organics meat order is coming today and riverford veg came yesterday

I am just making an allsorts soup ie items which need to be eaten and this week I am using a squash, some jerusalem artichokes, carrots. I also want to take a couple of items out of my tiny freezer so I have thrown in some cooked pulses and some leeks I froze when there was a glut in the box

lol if all else fails then make a soup with leftovers
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 16th Mar 07, 10:48 AM
    • 7,517 Posts
    • 24,818 Thanks
    newlywed
    I have weaned myself away and no longer shop at any big supermarket and have zero waste

I have just placed an online order at goodness direct and ok I have to think in advance but I have left the impulse-buying generation far behind. Craigfarm organics meat order is coming today and riverford veg came yesterday
    Originally posted by kittie
    I would love to get a veg delivery like that. Unfortunately most box schemes only deliver at certain times and I work full time. Not sure the boss would appreciate a veg box delivered to work!!

I live in a flat so nowhere to "hide" the delivery till I get home and not sure one of the lock boxes would be there either (unless you could bolt it down )

:rolleyes:
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 16th Mar 07, 11:12 AM
    • 8,485 Posts
    • 6,061 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    I think that the move to doing grocery shopping less frequently has an influence too.

I think that going back to daily shopping means you get what you need and don't buy things that become unusable or forgotten.

Starting an earlier thread someone wondered about calling in at a shop on her way home from work instead of having things at home which then didn't get cooked because her partner had unpredictable times for evenings. The general view, I seem to remember was that she should not go in daily as she would spend more but instead to have a shopping list and to use a slow cooker. Though I didn't join in that thread, I did think that her idea of calling into a shop on her way home would actually cut back on waste in her circumstances as by that stage she would know much better what would be required.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Mar 07, 11:31 AM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,908 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am also amazed by the amout of food that is wasted .I was brought up during the period in this country when rationing was the norm .My Mum had no freezer or fridge to put stuff in anyway .At one point she only had us three children, and her beloved wireless, and we had been made homeless due to a large gift from Herr Hitler and his jolly Luftwaffe
    Still I digress,she managed to raise three children with ideas instilled into us that absolutely NOTHING was ever wasted. Food was never thrown out as there was little enough to go around anyway.
    In todays society there is this conviction that if a thing is a minute over it's sell by date then it must be thrown out .I have survied well over 60 years by eating things that on occasions were maybe past their best and I'm still here.Cheese with a bit of growth on and the odd jam sandwich where the jam was a bit hairy as well,but you scraped it off and I survived o.k.
    A lot of the problems arise sometimes by the bogof theory .You buy the stuff and blow me if it has a short use by date .I couldn't nessesarily eat 12 yoghurts ain the space of three days ,nor would I want to.
    Considering the amount of cookery programmes and cook books on the market we should all be Nigellas but there are many folk out there who struggle to boil an egg .Look in any supermarket freezer department and you will find frozen ommelletes for goodness sake why ?
    Bring back basic cooking skills to schools for both boys and girls .Scouts don't consider it sissy to cook bangers on a camp fire so why should men think it's 'girly' to cook at home .
    people are keen to save the planet so why are we filling landsites with perfectly edible food stuff. This sell by date or use by date only appeared with the rise of the supermarkets I believe it's a ploy to brainwash folk into thinking 'Mm, it's yesterdays date so I mustn't eat it ,throw it away and I'll go and buy some more' .We seem to live in a society of throw -away everything .
    Go to a third world country, and see what those poor devils have to eat .They don't have the Wests obsession with throwing things away.
    Far more folk die from obesity in this country than die from food poisoning. My late mum used to say that to throw food away was to feed the Devil, and as children we believed her
    To me throwing out good food is disgusting and bad management on behalf of the wife /husband/ or whatever . With our up to date freezers and fridges there is no excuse for throwing out anything
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,538Posts Today

7,470Users online

Martin's Twitter