Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cathy
    furnish your house for buttons
    • 25th May 04, 10:18 AM
    furnish your house for buttons 25th May 04 at 10:18 AM
    I went to the auctions last week and got a lovely marble top wash stand for 35

other finds have been, !domed seamans chest !5

wardrobe with 2 drawers in bottom !carved !doors and loadsa space !solid old pine !80

hall table mahogony legs and marble top !20

gold velvet curtains lovely and faded to do the whole house and someone elses !30

pine kitchen table painted bright blue ! 5 !
    stripped it with caustic soda !5
    now got a 6 foot long pine kitchen table

windsor chair 20

solid yew dining room suite over a hundred and fifty years old 8 chairs including 2 carvers 250

a grandfather clock !300 (sold it on for 1200)

and ! *drum roll please

a real genuine !persian carpet !10'x12' in exellent condition ! ! 120

go to the auctions !youd be amazed what you can find

its a free afternoon/evening and a more interesting one you wont find anywhere

its full of stuff you didnt know you liked till you see it
    and as for tea sets !china !cutlery ! ornaments !paintings
    kites
    lawnmowers

tools !

and outboard motors (honest) !youll be spoiled for choice

just be careful about taking your mother/gran !cos everythng you go to buy is accompanied by a look of shock and a ! "good grief !my grandma threw one of those out in the blitz, wouldnt give it houseroom"

: : :

Page 1
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 26th May 04, 2:48 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 26th May 04, 2:48 PM
    Re: furnish your house for buttons
    • 26th May 04, 2:48 PM
    where are these auctions - or more to the point where can I find them?? I went to some with my Dad in SA and they were absolutely fantastic

likewise the stuff was amazing and for the quality the prices were really low!
  • cathy
    • 26th May 04, 2:57 PM
    • 26th May 04, 2:57 PM
    look in yellow pages under auctions
    house clearance sales

this bbc site is exellent as well, you just type when youd like to go and where you are and itll tell you if theres one in your area on that date

http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/atg/

good luck ;D
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 26th May 04, 3:09 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 26th May 04, 3:09 PM
    • 26th May 04, 3:09 PM
    wow looked at the BBC website for auctions that is absolutely brilliant, have found some local ones so off to convince a friend or mum to come with me

thanks for that, I love this board my cup of tea through and through - congratulations for moderating it Cathy !!!! :-*
  • cathy
    • 26th May 04, 5:03 PM
    • 26th May 04, 5:03 PM
    take a set amount of cash with you and view the stuff beforehand thats a couple of hours out the day before as well ;D

take a pad and pen and write down the lot number and decide what you think its worth

and stick to that but dont lose it for one bid ie if its a tenner more than your prepared to pay go for it and then let it go the same thing will come up again I promise you they always do

you can get lots of plants as well as auction houses do plant sale days

ask when they are

and some or most auction houses place a 10% buyers premium on stuff ask about this cos if you pay 50 for something it will actually be 55

friend was telling me today on the phone that she got a lovely big pine bureau last friday in our local auctions for 60

and we paid 499 for one the other week in parrot pine

arrrrrrgh
  • Bzmotman
    • 27th May 04, 2:52 AM
    • 27th May 04, 2:52 AM
    look in yellow pages under ! auctions !
    house clearance sales

this bbc site is exellent as well, !you just type when youd like to go !and where you are and itll tell you !if theres one in your area on that date

http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/atg/

good luck !;D
    Try this web site for auctions:
    www.thelocalweb.net/index/AVA/index_AVA.htm

Its a real mixture with the posh antiques only places to others that do Antique & General-they are the ones you want. Quite a few have catalogues on line - if you get one at the auction room its usually a pound or two. Definitely recommend using a catalogue otherwise you can't be sure whats in the lot. Found this out when I bought something and got 2 big boxes of books as well. Fortunately I had the car with me.

If you are still not sure whats in a lot don't be afraid to ask also if you are thinking about something more valuable thats in a cabinet always but always ask to examine it. Remember labels can hide all sort of defects so remove it to check.

The buyers premium round my way is usually about 15% plus vat ie about 17%.

You also need to check out whether you need to register before the auction or not. The 3 most common methods are:
    1-just turn up and shout your name out if you win
    2-register before the auction and get given a number just for that sale.
    3-register again but given a permanent number.
    Registering means just giving some basic details eg name, address, phone number. You might be asked for some ID so take something like your driving licence with you.

Also go prepared with boxes, newspaper, bubble wrap etc if you intend buying crockery or breakables. You would be amazed how many people buy crockery and then realise they have nothing to put it in.

If you decide not to pay with cash be aware that some auctions will charge 2 or 3% extra for using a credit card.

If buying furniture the auction will often have a man with a van who will deliver for usually a reasonable price.

• KG
    • By KG 27th May 04, 5:17 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    KG
    • 27th May 04, 5:17 PM
    • 27th May 04, 5:17 PM
    Hmm - I got a nice new dining room chair yesterday after spotting it sat next to a skip. I went up and asked the woman if she was throwing it away and if so could I have it. She looked at me kinda funny, but i got a free chair out of it. ;D

KG (the bin raker)
  • kellamne
    • 27th May 04, 6:02 PM
    • 27th May 04, 6:02 PM
    furnish your house for buttons
    been talking to the buttons - they weren't impressed with my decorating ???
  • scheming_gypsy
    • 27th May 04, 8:18 PM
    • 27th May 04, 8:18 PM
    Glad you posted this one Cathy, i'm deciding to take the plunge and buy a house :-/ and would struggle to manage to do all the internal kitting out as well with shop bought
  • DiggingOut
    its full of stuff you didnt know you liked till you see it
    That's the dangerous thing. It can be habit-forming, and you end up buying stuff you don't need.

But for starting out, when you just bought a house, it's phenomenal, and if you are disciplined about not buying stuff you really can get by without, it is great.

Furnished our house for a fraction of the cost of new stuff, and got better quality than a lot of the new stuff you can get now.
  • cathy
    this is extremely painful for me to recall !but youve twisted my arm

in 1973 we lived in Walton upon thames !and made friends with a guy who was quite high up in shepperton studios, !so !he told us that if we wanted to go to the props dept !they were going to sell most of them off and wed get first pick

so off we went, and it was a disgrace, !they had !oak sideboards for a fiver ! " eeew !state of that" !we said

oil paintings ""eeeww" whos andy warhol anyway??

mahogony dining suites !a tenner !" eeew ! state of that " we said

tiffany lamps ! !"ewww !etc"

pine farmhouse kitchen tables ! !" ewwww"

"wheres the teak?? wheres the white chairs and tables"

and we came away with zilch cos it was all so old fashioned

*sigh

idiots ! ! 22 year old idiots

:-/ :-/
    • By 16011996 11th Jun 04, 6:32 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Don't forget car boot sales, I got a blue modern style rug for my front room (8 foot by 4 foot) for 8 last week and a pine corner bathroom cabinet with a mirror on the front, and all the fixings for 10 (never been used.)
    • Petree
    • By Petree 11th Jun 04, 6:53 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Petree
    Does anyone know any details of the police auctions? aparently you can pick up dvd players for around a fiver since they're stolen but no one has claimed em, any ideas anyone?

There's a auction house near me that puts the catalogues on the web about a week before the sail, what i do is copy and paste into word, it's usually about 9 pages, then cut out the things you don't want like "mixed box of 200 computer power cables" and then you can do google searches for the other items, and ebay em for a rough guide price, means when you get there you only have 20 things to look at on the day and can yay or nay em.

Most auctions have a time slot between end of auction and paying so don't worry about carrying cash all day, just add em up and head for the cash point (remember the premiums and/or vat), get to the local cashpoint quick though as people draw out 1000 on their cards and the machines soon run out of money.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Jun 04, 9:30 PM
    • 39,181 Posts
    • 36,095 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Does anyone know any details of the police auctions? aparently you can pick up dvd players for around a fiver since they're stolen but no one has claimed em, any ideas anyone?
    Try http://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk - don't know if it's the one you wanted but I happened to know this address!
    • Petree
    • By Petree 14th Jun 04, 12:35 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Petree
    Had tried that one but it seems fairly empty!
    I think they are also the ones where baliffs and such sell their goods? hence why reposessed people get 2 for a 200 bike!
  • cathy
    most auctions sell baliffs stuff, and house clearances

someones hard luck is anothers bargain I suppose

shame isnt it
  • Plumpud
    We have a daily local evening paper, they have a special auction page every Saturday. All of the local auction houses advertise in it. They also do an article on what has been sold recently - usually expensive antiques. Covers agricultural, antiques, liquidation, general effects, police and general junk auctions.

Our local police use the same auction house. Suggest you look on your local Police website, probably won't tell you, but will give a contact e-mail address. Ask them who they use via that. E-mail is better than phoning. If you phone noone ever knows who deals with it and you'll just be passed on, and on, and on, costing you money in phone charges. If you e-mail them it will be passed to whoever deals with it, they have targets to deal with e-mails under the E-government initiatives. You should get a reply within 48 hours (exc. weekends).

I've bought loads from auctions over the years. I now use e-bay, but not much use for larger items, as mostsellers won't use couriers. Having said that I've bought a brand new panasonic vacuum cleaner and a new office chair (sat on it now) which had a couple of scratches on the legs, both delivered by courier. Also worth searching for what you are interested in, e.g. 'table' or 'wardrobe' and ebay e-mail you daily showing newly listed in that category. I got a triple TP swing and accessories that way, wait until one comes up local to you so you can collect it. It was 18 months old and less than half price.

You can get second-hand teak furniture for peanuts at the moment as it is not in fashion. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. It is a hardwood, and will look as good in 30 years time as it does now, with very minimal care. It is worth getting even if you don't like it, for things that are essential as it is so cheap. For tables you can cover them with a cloth. You can use it until you find or can afford a replacement.

When I first left home many years ago, I was given all sorts of bits and pieces. Never turn them down, as they may not give you anything else again. If you really don't like it or need it, pass it on. Charity shops or local furniture recycling operation will take it off your hands - see yellow pages.
    • terrierlady
    • By terrierlady 26th Jun 04, 3:47 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    terrierlady
    ;D in reply to the skip find i was out walking the dog and a man was putting a bedroom suite in his, i asked why he replied my mrs likes IKEA design stuff!!!
    How much for that lot I said ;
    Nothing take it away was his reply
    Explained I was out with the dog and would need to wait for evening, he asked where I lived and then said he would deliver it which he did refused the petrol money and even placed the pieces for me . I polished them up and 3 years later sold them to a friend for 250.00.

word of warning my Husband was horrified that I had got the items this way so now I just say I brought it cheap.

Yes it has become a habit if i see anything, London was the best hunting ground and new estates.
  • waaag
    Thanks for that Cathy, I have discovered the joys of auctions, too! Infact, I have furnished the house on a shoestring, using auctions,(animal charity ones here are really good) car-boots, tabletop sales and jumbles - otherwise I'd still be saving up for things. It's true it's very addictive, but you just need to discipline yourself! Alas, I have earned the name of Mrs Trebus (referring of course to the late, wonderful Mr Trebus off the TV programme 'A Life Of Grime'!) as I too, like to hoard "just a bit"!. Its true, the stuff you get has been made to last and is often superior quality to modern stuff, it has character, and you can also re-paint things, change handles or jazz up your junk - restore things, sometimes it's half the fun. My boyfriend used to help with house clearances - mostly the stuff was destined for the tip and many a time I've jumped on the lorry to look what is there when it's daylight -(too excited to even get dressed - just wellies and a nightie sometimes! before he gets impatient and drives away!!) And the best thing I got was a walnut tv cabinet - beautiful. With reference to skips - I managed to level off my garden with 10 ton of soil from a skip thrown away by a neighbour along with the leftover turf and plants from another neighbour - then, from a thrown away garden shed the best bits were taken and rebuilt into a large kennel for my dog! painted with wood preserve, fitted with a radiator 2 from auction, it looked impressive! Waste not, want not and recycle! That's what I say. ;D
  • cathy
    taking stuff out of the skip reminds me of the time our pub threw out their tables and chairs, didnt like the landlord so didnt ask him, he was the type to say NO just for the hell of it. so sneaked up one night and threw 4 chairs in the back of the 4x4 and off I went home

got home only 3 chairs

went back 200 yard to the pub

no chair

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,120Posts Today

6,786Users online

Martin's Twitter