Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Checuba1
    Tesco Value Range rebrand...
    • 1st May 12, 2:20 PM
    Tesco Value Range rebrand... 1st May 12 at 2:20 PM
    The re-branding of the "Tesco Value" Range to "Everyday Value" is not all it's cracked up to seem... Yes, the packaging may look more in line with Waitrose Essentials, but the "value" just ain't value anymore... As someone who likes cheap products, I really couldn't give a stuff what the packaging looks like, so, as far as I'm concerned, the re-brand is a total waste of time and money. For Tesco, though it's a great new way of making yet more profit... Example: Tesco Value Toilet Tissue, 4 rolls, 400 sheets per roll 1.31 (each piece was the same length as Andrex, just 3mm narrower, quality was pretty good)... Re-branded Everyday Value Toilet Tissue, 4 rolls, BUT now only 200 sheets per roll!! Half the quantity and still the same price - 1.31!! Oh and if you compare the two packets, the difference in size is abundantly clear... What did I do? I bought the whole stock of the old ones of course - all 21 packs!! What will I do in future? That remains to be seen. I shall look for the cheapest quality paper, probably have to resort to Lidl's... Tough luck Tesco you've been found out!!, thanks to one of your bright spark (not) managers who put the old next to the new for customer comparison
Page 1
  • ToNik
    • 1st May 12, 2:57 PM
    • 1st May 12, 2:57 PM
    I used to buy tesco value nappies 28 in a pack the everyday value are the same price but only 20 in a pack!
  • Checuba1
    • 1st May 12, 4:03 PM
    Tesco Greed
    • 1st May 12, 4:03 PM
    Yes, it's terrible isn't it? Can hardly be called Value anymore! It's difficult for me to shop, as I can't drive, but I go to all the supermarkets when necessary, using public transport. Thankfully I live in the London Area, so travel is not too bad... I'm determined to save money. I think Tesco have dug their own grave for themselves with this re-brand!
    • Obukit
    • By Obukit 1st May 12, 4:54 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Obukit
    • 1st May 12, 4:54 PM
    • 1st May 12, 4:54 PM
    Tesco are like a used car salesman - take your eye off them for one second and they'll rip you off. They're not even superficially likeable.

The only reason I go into Tescos nowadays is to rip them off with a bit of DTD-ing!
    • Taadaa
    • By Taadaa 1st May 12, 5:11 PM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    Taadaa
    • 1st May 12, 5:11 PM
    • 1st May 12, 5:11 PM
    I can't abide Tesco. They want to take over the world with their phones and insurance and estate agents and now they have the biggest market share they are indirectly putting their prices up.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
    • katskorner
    • By katskorner 1st May 12, 5:29 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    katskorner
    • 1st May 12, 5:29 PM
    • 1st May 12, 5:29 PM
    I really used to like tesco alot a few years ago but now I really have changed my mind. They are very expensive and the choice is poor. Very very disappointed as it is my nearest supermarket. I prefer to travel a bit further to avoid them now.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 1st May 12, 6:18 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 1st May 12, 6:18 PM
    • 1st May 12, 6:18 PM
    I really used to like tesco alot a few years ago but now I really have changed my mind. They are very expensive and the choice is poor. Very very disappointed as it is my nearest supermarket. I prefer to travel a bit further to avoid them now.
    Originally posted by katskorner
    As is the produce - I bought tomatoes last night, just value ones 'cos they were the only ones on the vine. They were horrid (all 'grainy' and incredibly mushy) almost as though they'd been frozen and defrosted. I'm aware that this isn't our season for them but they were vile. The ones from sainsburys last week were delicious, practically the same price (TTD ones too!) and part of a much greater choice!
  • Stephen Leak
    • 1st May 12, 9:23 PM
    • 1st May 12, 9:23 PM
    My "value"cider is still 4%, 2 litres and 1.74. My "value" sunflower spread is still 500ml and 75p. Mind you, they are the only things I buy from them.
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 1st May 12, 10:31 PM
    • 8,398 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    • 1st May 12, 10:31 PM
    • 1st May 12, 10:31 PM
    My "value"cider is still 4%,

Mind you, they are the only things I buy from them.
    Originally posted by Stephen Leak
    You should buy their value spectacles too , maybe then you would see that the old value cider was 4.2% and only the new label everyday value cider is 4%.

Having tried both tonight, I can tell you that the new label stuff is not as good as the old.
  • carla_to
    Honestly I also find the value range veggies and fruit to be of very poor quality! Haven't been lucky with the tomatoes either!! Would rather go to Aldi and Lidl
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 2nd May 12, 4:46 AM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    Honestly I also find the value range veggies and fruit to be of very poor quality! Haven't been lucky with the tomatoes either!! Would rather go to Aldi and Lidl
    Originally posted by carla_to
    Absolutely. Why buy second-rate Tesco Value stuff (even more expensive now, it seems) when you can buy first-rate Aldi and Lidl groceries for far less?

Another nail in Tesco's coffin. Used to buy most of our stuff there, but over the last two years we've moved almost totally to a combination of Aldi/Lidl and Waitrose - Aldi/Lidl for the bulk, with the rest coming from Waitrose.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd May 12, 5:49 AM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 11,110 Thanks
    KxMx
    Online Tesco are listing Everyday Value Double Length loo roll 6 pack. 1.96.
    0.08 100 sheets.
    Judging by my calculations, this means 400 sheets per roll.
    Same price for same product at Asda.
  • Stephen Leak
    You should buy their value spectacles too , maybe then you would see that the old value cider was 4.2% and only the new label everyday value cider is 4%.

Having tried both tonight, I can tell you that the new label stuff is not as good as the old.
    Originally posted by geordie joe
    The chiselling b@st@rds! The old bottle had gone for recycling and there was no info' on the website.

At least it's still cheaper than Sainsbury's (1.89) and ASDA (2.00).

And the new label does look pretty.

It's still useful for not only dullling the pain of living in 21st century Britain, but also ...

PORK IN CIDER

I reckon that this recipe is little short of perfect. It uses just a few cheap, simple and readily available ingredients. It is easy to do. The long, slow cooking in the alcohol will tenderise even the toughest meat. I deliberately tested this recipe with the cheapest supermarket economy brand pork steaks I could find and, as I lifted one out the dish, the pin bone fell out of the meat, it was so tender. It won’t burn to a crisp, if you leave it in the oven for few minutes too long. It even makes its own apple sauce. The gravy, made from the cooking juices, goes with the dish perfectly and also means that absolutely nothing is wasted. And there could even be some cider left over to drink with it. You can also make a posh version with good quality pork, real “scrumpy” cider and cream.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

250ml of cider
    1 apple
    1 onion
    2 pork chops or steaks
    2 heaped teaspoons of gravy granules or a stock cube

METHOD

Pour the cider into a measuring jug. Peel and core the apple, cut it into thick slices and put them into the cider to stop them going brown. Peel the onion and chop it into tiny pieces.

Put the onion in the bottom of an ovenproof dish with a lid. Put the meat on top of the onion. Artistically arrange the apple slices on top of the meat. Add the cider. Put the lid on the dish.

Cook in a preheated oven at 150C, 300F, gas mark 2 for about 2 hours. Check the liquid level from time to time and top it up if it starts to dry out.

Remove the meat and apples.

Add the gravy granules or stock cube to the cider and onion left in the dish. Stir thoroughly.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use proper “scrumpy” cider for preference, but any cheap cider (as long as it doesn’t have the word “white” in the name!) will do.

Use a cooking apple for preference, but an eating apple will do.

Fry the meat in a tablespoon of oil for about 3 minutes on each side until brown first.

Add a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs or rosemary

For a smooth gravy, if you have a food processor, put the cider and onion in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the cider and onion and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the onion through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy.

Use either beef or chicken gravy granules or stock cube.

Use 250ml of single cream instead of the gravy granules or stock cube.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 02-05-2012 at 6:57 AM.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd May 12, 9:09 AM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 11,110 Thanks
    KxMx
    Some more sums;
    4 pack double roll 1.41/4 =)0.33
    New 6 pack double roll 1.96/6=0.35
    (rounded to nearest decimal point.

So the new pack does work out cheaper. But they've still been crafty over the change, and if a smaller Tesco only stocks the 4 pack and not the 6 then the customer loses out- your 1.41 in the same shop will get you 50% less product!
  • Horseunderwater
    Tescos have now gotten so arrogant with this pricing and size thing. Thinking that customers will not notice. Unfortunately in most cases they are right. I do as I compare size and prices and have a very good memory for it. Something my Mum taught me to do. After all they seem to think that sneeking these changes in, (in full view), will help them increase their overall profits. Depends on how much bad publicity it generates and how many of us on here and other forums decide with our wallets where we willshop.
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 2nd May 12, 10:44 AM
    • 8,398 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    Some more sums;
    4 pack double roll 1.41/4 =)0.33
    New 6 pack double roll 1.96/6=0.35
    (rounded to nearest decimal point.

So the new pack does work out cheaper.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    You need to change the batteries in your calculator

But they've still been crafty over the change, and if a smaller Tesco only stocks the 4 pack and not the 6 then the customer loses out- your 1.41 in the same shop will get you 50% less product!
    How do you work that out? 4 rolls is not 50% of a 6 pack, nor is 2 rolls?

A 4 pack will cost you 10p more than the cost of 4 rolls from a 6 pack, but that's not 50% either.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd May 12, 5:17 PM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 11,110 Thanks
    KxMx
    Old pack: 4x 400 sheet rolls 1.41. Price per roll: 0.35. Price per 100 sheets: 0.09
    New pack: 4x 200 sheet rolls 1.41. Price per roll: 0.35 (but 50% less product). Price per 100 sheets: 0.17
    New pack: 6 x400 sheet rolls. 1.96. Price per roll: 0.33 Price per 100 sheets: 0.08.

The new 6 pack works out cheaper per roll and per 100 sheets than then new 4 pack (and the old 4 pack). But if a shop only stocks the 4 packs then the customer is getting 50% less product for their money and per 100 sheets the price has doubled.

My calculator is fine thanks I don't know how to express the figures in simpler terms...
    Last edited by KxMx; 02-05-2012 at 5:34 PM.
    • jpscloud
    • By jpscloud 2nd May 12, 6:51 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    jpscloud
    They're spending a fortune on advertising it too, a sure sign that it's no longer "value" at all.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 2nd May 12, 6:55 PM
    • 17,189 Posts
    • 36,587 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Tesco Everyday Value Garlic baguette (Single pack ) -0.32p.
    Tesco Everyday Value Garlic baguette (Twin pack ) -0.74p.

Hello Tesco .... anybody there???????
    Weekly Distance Walked 19 km / Total For Year 676 km
  • Checuba1
    Old pack: 4x 400 sheet rolls 1.41. Price per roll: 0.35. Price per 100 sheets: 0.09
    New pack: 4x 200 sheet rolls 1.41. Price per roll: 0.35 (but 50% less product). Price per 100 sheets: 0.17
    New pack: 6 x400 sheet rolls. 1.96. Price per roll: 0.33 Price per 100 sheets: 0.08.

The new 6 pack works out cheaper per roll and per 100 sheets than then new 4 pack (and the old 4 pack). But if a shop only stocks the 4 packs then the customer is getting 50% less product for their money and per 100 sheets the price has doubled.

My calculator is fine thanks I don't know how to express the figures in simpler terms...
    Sadly, the Tesco stores that are available to me, don't stock the 6 roll pack you are talking about. I have to make do with four, or change brand... I noticed that Asda are doing the same size pack as Tesco's re-branded pack (200 sheet rolls x 4 rolls) but only 70p not 1.31... Also the old 4 roll pack where I live was 1.31 not 1.41, but there are none left now anyway, especially as I wiped out the Metro Branch's stock of it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,377Posts Today

8,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin