Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    littlejaffa
    0 WOW
    wombling in tesco - what's safe
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:14 PM
    0 WOW
    wombling in tesco - what's safe 5th Mar 07 at 5:14 PM
    I've seen a few posts on here about wombling but now i search for the info nothings coming up.

A few people were saying they'd had letters from tesco saying stop wombling, can you tell me how much you get away with before this letter arrives?

I've asked tesco by e-mail & phone for a 2nd card on my account for my OH and it's not arrived so he's keeping receipts for me to credit, i've also (properly) wombled 2 others, my worry is i'll get to an amount and get the nasty womble letter.

thanks
    xx
    Donít ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Page 1
  • tlck9
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:19 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:19 PM
    what is wombling?? sorry quinda newbie
  • gruber
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:28 PM
    Its collecting receipts from trolleys & in & around the store that haven't had the points added to a clubcard & getting them added at the CS desk to your clubcard :-)
    "I took her to a supermarket,I don't know why but I had to start it somewhere"
    • WELSH-DRAGON
    • By WELSH-DRAGON 5th Mar 07, 5:31 PM
    • 5,556 Posts
    • 6,850 Thanks
    WELSH-DRAGON
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:31 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:31 PM
    Just a word of caution be careful somebody was apparently accused of credit card theft because they wombled a receipt where payment had been made by a stolen credit card. Then when they had the points added to their clubcard all fingers pointed to them.

If I do womble which isn't that often I tend to go for receipts which are cash transactions

Welshy x
    I am the only Voucher Queen in my village LOL
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 5th Mar 07, 6:00 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:00 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:00 PM
    "Wombling" is fraudulent.
    • jmarko
    • By jmarko 5th Mar 07, 6:03 PM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    jmarko
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:03 PM
    by MarkyMarkD
    i was wondering about that. is it? what if you just give the receipts over and say 'hello, can you put these on, please?' and they say yes? that's what i... erm.. would do if i wombled! :rolleyes:
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • hardy
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:05 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:05 PM
    by MarkyMarkD
    I have been at a checkout before when the person in front has not had a clubcard and told the cashier to add them to my card. I've thanked them and had teh points added.

Where's the fraud in that?
    Mr. T - Stop overcharging your customers.
    Bring back consumer confidence.
    BRING BACK DOTTY TURNBULL
    • jmarko
    • By jmarko 5th Mar 07, 6:06 PM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    jmarko
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:06 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:06 PM
    I have been at a checkout before when the person in front has not had a clubcard and told the cashier to add them to my card. I've thanked them and had teh points added.

Where's the fraud in that?
    by hardy
    sounds fine to me!
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • hardy
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:09 PM
    • 5th Mar 07, 6:09 PM
    sounds fine to me!
    by jmarko
    And me. Can't see where the fraud is. Any legal eagles out there?
    Mr. T - Stop overcharging your customers.
    Bring back consumer confidence.
    BRING BACK DOTTY TURNBULL
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 5th Mar 07, 6:23 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    OK let's clarify. If you are going to ask for other people's clubcard points and tell the customer service person that's what you are doing, then that's not fraudulent. If they choose to credit them, that's their stupid fault.

If you LIE or IMPLY that YOU forgot to get the clubcard points credited on your own purchases (using receipts that you have wombled) then you are obtaining money by deception.

Really, it's pathetic that people think it's legal OR MORAL to do this.
    • spike87
    • By spike87 5th Mar 07, 6:27 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    spike87
    Its collecting receipts from trolleys & in & around the store that haven't had the points added to a clubcard & getting them added at the CS desk to your clubcard :-)
    That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard! People actually do this?!

• LittleBill
    • By LittleBill 5th Mar 07, 6:38 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    LittleBill
    Really, it's pathetic that people think it's legal OR MORAL to do this.

That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard! People actually do this?!

It likely is illegal ... and maybe some think it pathetic ... and or sad!

... but it is I would say harmless ...

I personally abhore litter bugs ... which is far too cute a name for them ... I genuinely do ... maybe those who drop the receipts should maybe use a bin ... heaven forbid! ....
    LittleBill ...

"The riches of a man can be measured by what he can do without"

January 2014 GC: £99.98 / £100
    / February 2014 GC: £198.72 / £200
    March
    2014 GC: £0 / £200 - NSD: 0/31
  • littlejaffa
    sorry to go back to the original question - but morality asside, of those who have done it, at what point did you get the 'naughty' letter?

how many wombles make a wimbledon?

i've not been telling the cs where the receipts come from just asking she credit and there's been no probs, and if i did get a let i'd be on the phone shouting it's their own fault for not sending my OH his own card despite many requests, but i'd rather avoid that if possible. I don't trust myself not loose his reciepts thou (if i save then in hope he finally gets a card) and would rather credit.

edit - i want all points on the one card as we don't get enough to merit two cards
    Last edited by littlejaffa; 05-03-2007 at 6:55 PM.
    Donít ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
    • xxisabellexx
    • By xxisabellexx 5th Mar 07, 6:53 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    xxisabellexx
    sorry to go back to the original question - but morality asside, of those who have done it, at what point did you get the 'naughty' letter?

how many wombles make a wimbledon?

i've not been telling the cs where the receipts come from just asking she credit and there's been no probs, and if i did get a let i'd be on the phone shouting it's their own fault for not sending my OH his own card despite many requests, but i'd rather avoid that if possible. I don't trust myself not loose his reciepts thou (if i save then in hope he finally gets a card) and would rather credit.
    by littlejaffa
    Why dont you just pick up one of those paper Clubcards that are dotted all round the store for your OH, you register the number on the back and then use the paper one to accrue points until your plastic one arrives. That way youd get two sets of extra points vouchers in May surely?
    Sorry, im quite new to all this but thats how I understand it! Ive only just started collecting and am still using a paper clubcard and theyve told me it could be 3 months before my plastic one arrives!

Im not sure about your first question, from what Ive read on here you would have to womble quite a lot for them to question it. I for one always look around for reciepts (mainly looking for till spits!) but the cleaners are like magicians in my two local stores, theres hardly ever any at all!
    Reclaiming for family and friends. Won 4/13 so far
    HSBC CC - £263.25, Halifax CC - £179.45, HFC PPI - £589.00, HSBC PPI - £498.86, Lloyds PPI 1 - £400
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 5th Mar 07, 11:03 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    I'm not sure why anyone thinks that one joint clubcard account is better than two single ones - would anyone care to elaborate?

As isabelle says, you will then get more "extra points" vouchers than if you had a joint account. And you can use both individuals' points vouchers in exchange for deals, no problem.
    • crazy_guy
    • By crazy_guy 5th Mar 07, 11:16 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    crazy_guy
    MarkyMarkD is exactly right on this matter by saying:

If you LIE or IMPLY that YOU forgot to get the clubcard points credited on your own purchases (using receipts that you have wombled) then you are obtaining money by deception.

I've been to the courts many times (for work of course) and the amount of people who think they can get away with gaining money fraudulently is amazing, granted i've never heard of a wombler court case but if it was a excessive use they would be within their rights to report you to the police....the occasional one or two wouldnt warrant a prosecution but that doesnt mean its not against the law
    • TokochickUK
    • By TokochickUK 5th Mar 07, 11:35 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    TokochickUK
    but if you just say " can you put these on my card" or not giving any explaination so not fibbing, just not elaborating. I dont do this by the way, i would think i was being watched lol
    • babymoneyblagger
    • By babymoneyblagger 6th Mar 07, 1:44 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    babymoneyblagger
    Hi ev1 - I would just like to add that my husband buys items and keeps his receipts so I can then add them onto our acc (I only have 1 clubcard) - so there are genuine people who have their points added this way!!
    Comp wins 2013:160 finish quantum tabs, 2xtickets private screening of prisoners(Jake n Hugh 2)
    Lights4you - Battery powered Rose Lights,
    £120 worth of local symphony orchestra concerts, Bulmers bottle n beanie hat, Imperial Leather Batiste dry shampoo & tanning stuff (thanks Genie).
  • desperatehousewife
    I've seen a few posts on here about wombling but now i search for the info nothings coming up.

A few people were saying they'd had letters from tesco saying stop wombling, can you tell me how much you get away with before this letter arrives?

I've asked tesco by e-mail & phone for a 2nd card on my account for my OH and it's not arrived so he's keeping receipts for me to credit, i've also (properly) wombled 2 others, my worry is i'll get to an amount and get the nasty womble letter.

thanks
    xx
    by littlejaffa
    I work on customer services,have done for many years for tesco.i know when someone is wombling by the reciepts that they hand me.and yes it is fraudulent and we are aware that this is taking place and it is getting out of control,just like the r&rs and that is why the policys are changing,and yes i can refuse to put them on.it takes time to send another card you can pick one up instore for your OH fill it in send it off but in the mean time he can still use the card and have his points on there is no need to save reciepts.i would hate for you to get into trouble.
    • jasmineswhiskers
    • By jasmineswhiskers 6th Mar 07, 9:46 AM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    jasmineswhiskers
    Hi ev1 - I would just like to add that my husband buys items and keeps his receipts so I can then add them onto our acc (I only have 1 clubcard) - so there are genuine people who have their points added this way!!
    by babymoneyblagger
    Did no-one get the extra keyring clubcard fobs? My OH has one on his keys which relates to my card. (Of course he usually forgets his keys!!!!):rolleyes:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

414Posts Today

4,368Users online

Martin's Twitter