Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: What do you think of car sharing (can vote for more than 1 selection)

There should be incentives to car share (government)

54.10% • 33 votes

I car share already

21.31% • 13 votes

I think car sharing is a good idea and would like to

27.87% • 17 votes

I'm open to the idea, though have some reservations

36.07% • 22 votes

I would never car share

4.92% • 3 votes

You may not vote on this poll

61 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    Merlin_BikeCharity
    LIFT SHARE - Save money and planet!
    • 25th Mar 05, 2:21 PM
    LIFT SHARE - Save money and planet! 25th Mar 05 at 2:21 PM
    www.liftshare.org

www.school-run.org/ (part of liftshare)

www.freewheelers.co.uk/index.php

From www.liftshare.org newsletter:

2005 presents huge opportunities to tackle the issue of climate change. Already we've seen the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol and Tony Blair has stated that his key priorities in heading up the G8 are Africa and climate change.

Increasingly individuals are looking for ways to reduce their emissions of greenhouse gases, which is where liftshare comes in.

At present, transport is one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions in the UK , contributing over 19% of all greenhouse gases. Of this, 94% comes from road transport which highlights the extent to which our individual journeys contribute to global warming.

By simply sharing a car, individuals can significantly reduce the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases they emit, whilst continuing to enjoy all the benefits of private vehicles.

liftshare estimates that our members are currently _saving' 17,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per annum. By increasing our members and the number of journeys that are shared we can increase this figure significantly.

- - - - - - - -
    Then there's always a bicycle to save money, the planet, time (in many cases) and get fit :~)

Thanks for the MSE charity donations to my charity, shipping used bicycles to Africa.
    www.re-cycle.org

Merlin
    Last edited by Merlin_BikeCharity; 25-03-2005 at 5:30 PM.
    Bicycle Aid for Africa

www.re-cycle.org

MANY THANKS to all who vote for Re~Cycle in the MSE charity money votes, its a HUGE help!
Page 1
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 25th Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 25th Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    Most of my work journeys are from home (my base) to various customers however I have travelled to company meetings with local colleagues. The company I work for has done a lot to promote car sharing (and cycling) and there is a lot of info on the company intranet. They will even pay for a taxi home if the person with the car has to leave the site early for business reasons during the course of the day.

I agree with car sharing in principle if you travel from A to B and back at the same times each day but it can be tying if you could do to stay to finish a project or whatever and your driver or passenger wants to go now!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • andy88
    • 29th Mar 05, 10:07 PM
    • 29th Mar 05, 10:07 PM
    It's fine but I fail to understand why some voters in the poll think the government should subsidise it; it's saving money and resources already.
  • Merlin_BikeCharity
    • 30th Mar 05, 1:47 AM
    • 30th Mar 05, 1:47 AM
    It's fine but I fail to understand why some voters in the poll think the government should subsidise it; it's saving money and resources already.
    by andy88
    Part of the government's job is to encourage the saving of money and resources!

There is a thing called a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) or carpool lane, in many countries.
    Pilot study in UK - http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/hol/index.htm
    Bicycle Aid for Africa

www.re-cycle.org

MANY THANKS to all who vote for Re~Cycle in the MSE charity money votes, its a HUGE help!
  • andy88
    • 30th Mar 05, 2:07 AM
    • 30th Mar 05, 2:07 AM
    Yeah. Antwerpen, Eindhoven. Completely empty lane on the motorway - what for?
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 30th Mar 05, 10:46 AM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 30th Mar 05, 10:46 AM
    • 30th Mar 05, 10:46 AM
    There is a 2 people in a car lane in Leeds, Stanningley bypass I think, ( not sure if they have finished the experiment) This lane is practically empty, except for people taking a chance on not getting caught whilt the other lane is packed with people trying desperately to get to work on time. I am not sure this encourages people to car share, probably encourages then to break the law though.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • shavedchimp
    • By shavedchimp 31st Mar 05, 6:13 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shavedchimp
    • 31st Mar 05, 6:13 PM
    What about car sharing clubs?
    • 31st Mar 05, 6:13 PM
    Does anyone have experience of running/setting up a car sharing club, i.e., you collectively own a car and pay an amount each time you use it (having reserved that time for use)?

I remember looking into this some time ago and found out that in my town only Avis were doing it and their prices seemed to suggest that there was no financial incentive to this scheme. Now the costs of fuel have got so high I am tempted to try and get a car sharing club going.

Any pointers?
    • PaleScene
    • By PaleScene 31st Mar 05, 6:21 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    PaleScene
    • 31st Mar 05, 6:21 PM
    Car Share Schemes
    • 31st Mar 05, 6:21 PM
    I think there are successful schemes running in Gloucestershire - this site has some information:
    http://www.vision21.demon.co.uk/ (look under Projects)
    • toozie
    • By toozie 31st Mar 05, 6:46 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    • 31st Mar 05, 6:46 PM
    • 31st Mar 05, 6:46 PM
    Its a good idea, but unfortunatley there must be millions of people like me, who work part time, no one else in the office works my hours, I live 18 miles away from work in a rural area.

As far as public transport is concerned, the buses run every hour, I would need two buses to get to work, starting from home at 7.15am, to be in work for 8.45am, this does not encoridge mothers to return to work at all.
  • sellingmysoul666
    This is a good idea in principle
    I remember reading about a new housing estate somewhere which was very "green" part of it was "community" cars which you could use when you needed them

Helen
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • scootermacc
    I have had experience of this, having set up a car club in Coventry about 3 years ago - unfortunately it folded as we could not generate enough members to make it financially sustainable. This was based on brand new cars, at a 100 a year membership (incl. tax, mot, insurance, etc), and an hourly rental rate.
    Alos, the people who were members were generally environmentallists, so ironically didn't use the car enough to generate enough income!

It works well for people commutting by public transport and needing a car or second car for occassional evening and weekend use.

There are some established clubs here: http://www.smartmoves.co.uk/
    and here: http://www.carclubs.org.uk/

These range from established big city ones, to rural ones (yes, run for village and rural people's benefit) to a bunch of friends getting together to share a 10 year old car to split the costs.

There appear to be 27 clubs across the country now.

I would love to get one going again in Coventry, but for now am running my car on 100% biodiesel for environmental reasons, and cummuting to work by train and bike.
    However, apart from saving about 20 a month diesel by using the train rather than driving, I'm not making the MASSIVE savings I was doing by being in the Car Club - i.e. sharing the cost of repairs, MOT, tax and insurance.

Sadly, a majority of people are so attached to the 'freedom' that comes with ownership that car clubs are generally used by those environmentally minded.

In europe (I think in germany), there are tens of thousands of car club members. tens of thousands! I reckon there are less than 2000 here...
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Merlin_BikeCharity
    Car Sharing / Car Clubs
    Having a pool of cars (car clubs) and using them when needed is a seperate thing from lift sharing.
    Good in urban areas.

www.smartmoves.co.uk - clubs in London, Edinburg, Bristol and Brighton

www.carclubs.org.uk/carclubs/uk-carclubs-map.htm ~ map of UK car clubs

www.carclubs.org.uk/carclubs/cost-benefits.htm ~ A good one for MSE site, cost calculatoins!!!

www.liftpool.co.uk ~ another ride sharing site

Warwick University Car Poolers are eligible for reduced parking charges.

and links to

www.shareajourney.com ~ another ride sharing site
    Which includes a section ~ Eventday for use by visitors or delegates to major calendared events
    Which makes sense!
    Bicycle Aid for Africa

www.re-cycle.org

• Tustastic
    • By Tustastic 18th Nov 06, 10:04 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 174,209 Thanks
    Tustastic
    Great posts
    Many thanks to Merlin_BikeCharity, scootermacc and PaleScene for all the info. I came to this thread to find out more about car clubs where I live in London. It was a total bonus to find out about the club in Stroud - a friend of mine really needs to have car access when visiting elderly relatives in Stroud and this could be the answer. Just visited the Stroud site and it looks current. Thanks again.
    • piggeh
    • By piggeh 19th Nov 06, 1:45 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    piggeh
    I used to carshare a little in my last job. However, I didn't really like listening to Radio 2 every morning, and chatting to people I wouldnt normally talk to as we had little in common! And to save what - £10/20 a week in fuel? Driving to/from work is a great time to spend in your own company and wind down on your way home.

I agree with carsharing in principle - I think it's great if you can save money as always, and the planet as well of course! But I found travelling with others who had different tastes, etc, just because they live near you, is not very enjoyable in the long run. Also what with having to make sure you're ready at exactly 7.45 or whatever, is just plain more stress that most people would prefer to avoid.

Car club's are a great idea for those commuting who then need the car a couple of times a week though.
    • Tustastic
    • By Tustastic 19th Nov 06, 12:59 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 174,209 Thanks
    Tustastic
    I used to carshare a little in my last job. However, I didn't really like listening to Radio 2 every morning, and chatting to people I wouldnt normally talk to as we had little in common! And to save what - 10/20 a week in fuel? Driving to/from work is a great time to spend in your own company and wind down on your way home.

I agree with carsharing in principle - I think it's great if you can save money as always, and the planet as well of course! But I found travelling with others who had different tastes, etc, just because they live near you, is not very enjoyable in the long run. Also what with having to make sure you're ready at exactly 7.45 or whatever, is just plain more stress that most people would prefer to avoid.

Car club's are a great idea for those commuting who then need the car a couple of times a week though.
    by piggeh
    Good comments about having to fit in with other people - difficult to tell someone to retune to a radio station you prefer but might be possible to avoid the chat - make a few pleasant remarks and then ask if they'd mind you closing your eyes as you suffer from insomnia and want to catch up on a few zeds.
    There's an important point about road congestion too. Our local casualty (in a London suburb) is under threat of closure and a lot of people want it to stay open because the next nearest, though not that far away, takes ages to get to on crowded roads. Giving some consideration to how often we use our cars, let alone car sharing, might help emergency vehicles make quicker journeys.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,889Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter