Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • GAH
    • 16th Apr 12, 8:11 AM
    • 16th Apr 12, 8:11 AM
    Def don't get involved with one of these companies. Contact the HMRC to discuss this.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 16th Apr 12, 8:38 AM
    • 35,052 Posts
    • 19,084 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 16th Apr 12, 8:38 AM
    • 16th Apr 12, 8:38 AM
    Disadvantaged Area Relief?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/dar/dar-search.htm

Once you've established you shouldn't have paid, ask your solicitor for a copy of the SDLT return he/she made on completion of your purchase, then contact HMRC.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • brightonuge
    • 16th Apr 12, 10:20 AM
    • 16th Apr 12, 10:20 AM
    Thanks all for your comments, this is much appreciated.

I have checked the HM website and will get the relevant details to make a claim…

Thanks again!
    • sirmosh
    • By sirmosh 16th Apr 12, 10:23 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 6,726 Thanks
    sirmosh
    • 16th Apr 12, 10:23 AM
    • 16th Apr 12, 10:23 AM
    If you used a locally based solicitor then there's no chance they would have got it wrong in my opinion. If you used an online conveyancing service then it's possible they would have made a mistake but still unlikely.
  • donicabaps
    • 24th Apr 12, 7:21 PM
    • 24th Apr 12, 7:21 PM
    Hi,

I also had one of these letters from Randall & Vickers! Must be the newest 'no win no fee' claimback scheme.

I spoke to HMRC who advised me to write to them stating my case and they would look into it. The did say however, that the cut-off point for reclaiming the money back was 4 years! Not very helpful when I bought my house in 2006.

I'm still writing to them anyway to argue my case, wish me luck!
  • nickjshore
    • 17th Jul 12, 10:29 AM
    • 17th Jul 12, 10:29 AM
    I also had a letter from these solicitors so I called HMRC direct and they gave me an address to send a letter (i.e the local stamp office) stating you want a refund for the stamp duty you paid and the reason why (i.e property located in a disadvantaged area). I also asked what the time limit is to claim a refund as my property was purchased 7 years ago and I was told with the disadvantaged area there was not time limit, but we will see what happens. But its as easy as writing a letter DO NOT pay these companies to do it for you
  • Lilly_L
    • 17th Jul 12, 11:16 AM
    • 17th Jul 12, 11:16 AM
    I am dealing with Arc Properties Solictors and they offered the same SD return scheme. but seriously Arc is so crap and Im on ther verge of acking them. just be careful with these solictor firms!
  • isitchristmasyet
    • 14th Aug 13, 3:53 PM
    • 14th Aug 13, 3:53 PM
    Did anybody use them and were successful? I've tried going to my solicitors and they've just fobbed me off with the excuse that they have destroyed my documents and its too late to claim back my money?
    • sirmosh
    • By sirmosh 14th Aug 13, 5:46 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 6,726 Thanks
    sirmosh
    Did anybody use them and were successful? I've tried going to my solicitors and they've just fobbed me off with the excuse that they have destroyed my documents and its too late to claim back my money?
    Originally posted by isitchristmasyet
    Personally I think it's fairly unlikely they made a mistake. There's only one reason you wouldn't need to pay, if the house was under the threshold and I think they would have known both the threshold and sale price making it difficult to end up paying if you shouldn't have.
  • isitchristmasyet
    I've got a solicitor statement showing when I paid stamp duty 1290 (2007) and I checked the disadvantaged area relief postcode and my property is in a qualifying area but when I rang hmrc they told me they can only go back on their systems for properties purchased in the last year so I've come to a bit of a dead end.. I… have read that early next year they are abolishing the right for a refund so any help would be gratefully received.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 15th Aug 13, 7:47 AM
    • 15,202 Posts
    • 82,038 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I've got a solicitor statement showing when I paid stamp duty 1290 (2007) and I checked the disadvantaged area relief postcode and my property is in a qualifying area but when I rang hmrc they told me they can only go back on their systems for properties purchased in the last year so I've come to a bit of a dead end.. I have read that early next year they are abolishing the right for a refund so any help would be gratefully received.
    Originally posted by isitchristmasyet
    It's not necessary to claim the refund from HMRC. Your solicitors were negligent, and you can claim it back from them. More fool them if they have destroyed their records.

I suggest that you make a formal complaint and follow that up through the Law Society. You want your 1290 plus interest. Act rapidly, as there might be a 6 year time limit.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • isitchristmasyet
    Ah that's brilliant thank you, I'll let you know how I get on
  • essex2014
    can i get my stamp duty back.
    Hi I need advice.

I bought my property in Feb 2008 at 200k. Can I get my stamp duty back ?? If so how do I approach this??
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Mar 14, 10:19 PM
    • 15,190 Posts
    • 9,987 Thanks
    googler
    Hi I need advice.

I bought my property in Feb 2008 at 200k. Can I get my stamp duty back ?? If so how do I approach this??
    Originally posted by essex2014
    Are you in an area that qualifies, or qualified for disadvantaged area stamp duty relief? We don't know whether you are or not. Use the link above to find out.
  • Blackeyez09
    Interesting just checked my postcode and it qualifies and my property is under threshold (148500) yet my solicitor still included it in monies payable. Going to instruct them straight away and not paying the SD as I don't want to waste time claiming it back.. Is this right?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 4th Mar 14, 7:01 AM
    • 35,052 Posts
    • 19,084 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Interesting just checked my postcode and it qualifies and my property is under threshold (148500) yet my solicitor still included it in monies payable. Going to instruct them straight away and not paying the SD as I don't want to waste time claiming it back.. Is this right?
    Originally posted by Blackeyez09
    This thread is about refunds of payments which should not have been made.

The relief no longer exists. It was withdrawn last year.

See the first paragraph in the link above;-

Disadvantaged Areas Relief will be abolished for transactions with an effective date on or after 6 April 2013
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Blackeyez09
    Oh my bad didn't realise that!
    • Lil Dee
    • By Lil Dee 4th Mar 14, 11:42 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Lil Dee
    Claims to be made on/before 5th May 2014
    Check this out (I think it's what you're all talking about)

Hope it helps some of you
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 4th Mar 14, 12:04 PM
    • 35,052 Posts
    • 19,084 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Check this out (I think it's what you're all talking about)

Hope it helps some of you
    Originally posted by Lil Dee
    Post #3 above?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,708Posts Today

7,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin