Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • raino144
    • By raino144 1st Mar 07, 9:21 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    • #2
    • 1st Mar 07, 9:21 PM
    • #2
    • 1st Mar 07, 9:21 PM
    You can claim an allowance of 45 (gross) per year if you are supplied with a uniform by your employer which carries a company logo.

    You can back claim this for up to 6 years with a letter to your tax office. It should state: 1) that you were supplied with the uniform by your company 2) you are required to launder the uniform 3) it carries the name/brand/logo (delete as appropriate) of the company.

    Note that the 45 should be multiplied by your top tax rate ( at 22% that's c.10 per year cash) as to what you'll actually get back. Not bad for a 10 minute letter though :-)

    Edit: Signature updated
    Last edited by raino144; 01-03-2007 at 9:26 PM.
  • gtone28
    • #3
    • 1st Mar 07, 10:59 PM
    • #3
    • 1st Mar 07, 10:59 PM
    Yes it's true

    A postman posted a thread about it a couple of weeks ago with a link to a copy of a letter to send in.

    I copyied the letter he wrote and sent it in myself, It took the Tax office in Liverpool 4 week's to adjust my tax code I am entitled to claim back to 2001 at a rate of !!!163;45 ish a year. (!!!163;221 x 22%).

    If you wear a uniform and have to clean it yourself you are can claim. certain's professions can claim more.

    Tax office address
    Your name and address

    Payroll no.
    Tax code

    Dear Inland Revenue

    RE: Expenses Allowance

    I have been employed at (COMPANY NAME) since (START DATE). I am obliged to launder the uniform, which is supplied to me by the company. I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of !!!163;45 for each year since the above date.

    Yours Faithfully
    Last edited by gtone28; 04-03-2007 at 10:49 PM.
  • bluedaz1973pool
    • #4
    • 2nd Mar 07, 11:05 AM
    • #4
    • 2nd Mar 07, 11:05 AM
    thanks for the responses i thought he must have been joking with me letter is printed off and being posted today every little helps.
    could you tell me what do you mean when you say
    Quote I am just in the process of finding out wether I can claim for the VAT back on my shoes which is about the same amount, because one of my work mates has the allowence on his tax code
    just out of intrest thank in advance
  • gtone28
    • #5
    • 3rd Mar 07, 5:58 AM
    • #5
    • 3rd Mar 07, 5:58 AM
    One of my work friends has a tax code which is 508L, mine was 503L before they adjusted it to 508L. I asked him if he had already claimed it and he said that a couple of years ago he went into the tax office, and asked about the laundry allowance they said he was n't entitled to it but he could claim for the VAT on his shoes, which was !!!163;45 pound a year. I told him to try again because I wear the same uniform as him so I can n't see why he is not entitled to it if I am.

    If you want to be a good moneysaver print off a couple of letters for your friends because if they are provided with a uniforms they are entitled to it.

    we had a company come into our work place before christmas offering to get tax back for you, some of the employees aplied through them. they later found out that they charge 40% commision for doing it. Nearly Half your rebate and it only costs them the price of a stamp.

    Warning don't let any company claim a rebate back for you, unless it's your accountant who help you save more than his/her fee's
    Last edited by gtone28; 04-03-2007 at 10:43 PM.
  • bluedaz1973pool
    • #6
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:37 AM
    • #6
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:37 AM
    hi im one step in front of you iv printed off a load and im taking them into work on monday thanks for you help and keep us informed of the outcome of the shoes
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 3rd Mar 07, 9:38 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    • #7
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:38 AM
    • #7
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:38 AM
    On a similar note...

    My OH is a chef and as well as Hot Washing all his gear he is also responsible for buying it. Does anyone know the tax answer to this? (I know the company should be supplying his whites and clogs under PPE, but they don't!)


  • ckerrd
    • #8
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:44 AM
    • #8
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:44 AM
    On a similar note...

    My OH is a chef and as well as Hot Washing all his gear he is also responsible for buying it. Does anyone know the tax answer to this? (I know the company should be supplying his whites and clogs under PPE, but they don't!)


    by jfdi
    If his stuff is PPE it is the companies responsibility to supply it and ensure that it is used in a correct way. He should be able to claim back the cost of PPE directly from his company
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • gtone28
    • #9
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:03 PM
    • #9
    • 3rd Mar 07, 9:03 PM
    I have now photocopied 250 copies of the letter for work friends plus I put a photo copy of the letter the tax office sent me back for proof.

    it said sorry but you can not claim the allowance back to the date you stated but we can backpay it to 2001-2002 at a rate of !!!163;45.

    I applied on the 25th of Jan and got a reply on the 26th feb
    (I was testing the water to make sure it was true)

    Also I put a notice up saying

    Fancy a possible rebate on !!!163;200 tax *
    if you are provided with a uniform with logo and required to clean it yourself you can claim !!!163;45 a year added to your tax code
    *worked out on 6 years tax back for overpayment*

    copy of letter behind reception (free of charge) just the cost of a stamp and envelope.

    depends on your current rate of tax

    by the way if your going to prove it with a reply from the tax office don't forget to blank out you personnel information.

    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    I am not an advisor in any which way or form these are my own experience so they may not apply to you.
    Last edited by gtone28; 04-03-2007 at 10:38 PM.
  • soylent_pink
    Just to make this clear. You won't actually get 45 per year back. HMRC allow relief on 45 of your earnings. This means,

    If you are a 10% taxpayer you get 4.50
    If you are a 22% taxpayer you get 9.90
    If you are a 40% taxpayer you get 18.00
  • soylent_pink
    Also there is no way that you will get anything for your shoes. The only profession that have any allowance for this is nurses, HCAs etc who get tax relief on 18.00 per year for footwear, along with 70.00 for uniform, which works out at a rebate of 19.36 for the average nurse.
  • gtone28
    This is on the back of one of my reply's

    Year.......Claim (!!!163;) ..... Rate ... repay(!!!163;)..interest (!!!163;)...........Total(!!!163;)
    01/2........ 40............X22%.......8.80.......0.88.......... ..........9.68
    02/3.........40............X22%...... 8.80...... 0.71....................9.51
    03/4.........40............X22%.......8.80.......0.49 ....................9.29
    04/5........ 45............X22%.......9.90.......0.30.......... .........10.20
    05/6........ 45............X22%.......9.90.......0.05.......... ..........9.95
    total repayments........................................ ....................48.63
    Adjustments/Increase in code =...48.63 X 100/22..............=.221

    My tax code has gone from 503L to 530L

    HM revenue has agreed with the union that !!!163;45 is the amount you are likely to have to pay out for doing this job. (you do not have to be a member of a union to get this).

    Are the amounts on the right, the amount of tax that are to pay for the allowance?
    so !!!163;40 - 9.68 and left with !!!163;31?
    Last edited by gtone28; 04-03-2007 at 9:19 AM.
  • soylent_pink
    You won't pay tax on the !!!163;48.63, that is your total rebate for the previous 6 years. You are just basically not going to pay tax on an additional !!!163;221 of your earnings this year above the personal allowance, reducing your tax bill by !!!163;48.63 2007/08.
    • markscfc72
    • By markscfc72 5th Dec 07, 6:06 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    hi there

    i was just wondering, when you get paid out do you get a cheque or do they just subtract it from the tax you pay the next month or something similar


  • gtone28
    I paid less tax for a week, but some of my work friends recieved cheques. One actually found out he had'nt paid enough tax for the last 2yrs and ended up oweing them money.

    I got all excited thinking i was getting 200 back in one lump sum but the tax office give me relief back on 45 for one week then reduced my tax by about 3 a week.

    it's worth 9 a year
    • nets
    • By nets 19th Feb 08, 8:48 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Thanks for this thread! I have just claimed for husbands tax laundry relief and have just received a cheque for 163, well worth the 5 minutes wirk involved in writing and sending off the letter!
    • Munro Bagger
    • By Munro Bagger 20th Feb 08, 12:29 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Munro Bagger
    Thanks - I've used the template and sent it off! Fingers crossed and let's see what happens!

  • heather831
    so where do i find out the tax office address?
    • TotallyBroke
    • By TotallyBroke 29th May 08, 2:54 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    Once you have left the company?
    My OH has now left his uniform wearing job.

    We are at the moment writing a cover note to the Tax Office to claim a rebate back from last year. I'm going to also add the laundering letter to it in a hope we/he gets that bit extra.

    Do you think it is possible or do you have to still be working with the company to get it.

  • fengirl
    @heather - your employer will give you the address of your tax office.
    @ TotallyBroke - you can claim back up to 6 years (assuming he was entitled to the relief), you don't have to still be employed there.
    You have the right to ask for a refund for past eyars - you don't have to accept an allowance in this years' code number for past years - especially as the lower rate of tax is 20% this year and was 22% in past years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

3,007Users online

Martin's Twitter