Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    megasaver
    Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:07 PM
    Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it? 24th Mar 05 at 4:07 PM
    Hi everyone, I am pretty new to this money saving way of life and have got a lot to learn. In the past I have got into the habit of stocking up on things when they were bogofs (toilet paper, shampoo, toothpaste etc) Just wondering if I should start buying in bulk. Would that save more money? If you buy in bulk where do you go, (as have no idea at the moment) and what do you bulk buy? Is it really worth it or I am just asking for trouble? Would love your experienced opinions.

many thanks

Maria

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by megasaver; 12-02-2009 at 9:04 AM.
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 24th Mar 05, 4:29 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:29 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:29 PM
    I bulk buy BOGOFs or reduced stuff that will keep and that I would use anyway, for example, laundry stuff, some frozen stuff. But it would do me no good to bulk buy anything like biscuits or ice cream because everyone would eat twice as much!
  • Sarahsaver
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:47 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:47 PM
    I suppose the only things I buy in bulk are onions and potatoes. 4 a sack for the spuds and 1.50 for the onions, and that is WELL worth it. If I had somewhere to keep rice i would get that in a sack too.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • archived user
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:54 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:54 PM
    I dont buy in bulk for the simple reason, we use it twice as fast. Even cleaning products i tend to be over generous with.
  • Galtizz
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:57 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 4:57 PM
    My Nan was a !!!!!! for buying stuff in bulk, when she moved into a home I didn't need to buy any soap or toilet rolls for about a year

I only buy meat in bulk and that is because I get it cheaper if I buy it in big packs (well, I get chicken breasts for 50p if I buy 40, I can get it for that price in iceland but these are much nicer), I make room in the freezer before I buy it so none goes to waste and I get it from somewhere the other side of town so I only go 1 or 2 times a year.

I agree with Magentasue, it is only worth buying in bulk if you are going to use it and if you aren't going to eat it all in one go.

It is important to check out the prices. It is only a little bit cheaper to buy Charmin loo rolls from a cash and carry than a supermarket and if it is on BOGOF at the supermarket it will probably be cheaper BUT.. Lidl do an own brand cushioned loo roll that is just as good but about 1/2 the price! So it pays to shop around first.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 24th Mar 05, 5:27 PM
    • 3,146 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 24th Mar 05, 5:27 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 5:27 PM
    I used to buy stuff I liked (choc, ice cream) in bulk and it always got eaten. Now I am more organized. I buy anything I can in bulk or on offer that can be stored and keep it in the spare room. Bags of potatoes - I measure out 1780g a week and don't cheat. I buy the biggest packs of cereals and measure out the portions (being on a diet helps).
    Other stuff I piled up; toilet roll (still got 14 packs of BOGOF whispa from tesco's), washing up liquid (3 for 2) and Bisto (BOGOF again). Keeping it in the spare room and noting when I 'withdraw' it on a spreadsheet page (or you could use a notebook) makes me think about how much I'm using. You also need to use the oldest stuff first.
    There are generally no big sexy savings to be made doing this, in fact you need to start with some extra expence, but over time this really does have an impact.
    I also started to use my mothers old trick of putting one tin / packet of stuff in a box each week for xmas. Next xmas I'll only buy meat, seasonal stuff and bread.
    A xmas week shop that comes in under my normal shopping budget would be a minor miracle.

Buy in bulk - yes. Discipline - yes. Savings - oh yes.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 24th Mar 05, 7:42 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 24th Mar 05, 7:42 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 7:42 PM
    Because I only go to Costco's once in a while now, I wait until m freezer is nearly empty then do a big hit. I get meat in bulk - either from Costco or I've found a local butcher that's not bad. I buy loo rolls - either 48 or 60 packets depending on unit price. Also, tissues, part-baked baguettes (freezer) sometimes trays of tinned goods if cheaper than supermarket. I'm lucky in that I have ample storage room. I don't find I use anything more quickly because it's there - I use the same amount of loo paper whether I have 1 roll or 60 rolls left.

I don't buy chocolate in bulk - bought lots of those large tins at Xmas - still can't shift all those extra pounds. That's one thing that if it's there I WILL eat it.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 24th Mar 05, 8:33 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 24th Mar 05, 8:33 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 8:33 PM
    I always buy things like washing tablets, dishwasher tablets, toilet rolls, toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, handwash etc in huge quantities when it's on offer. I don't generally bother with deals on food except stuff that I know we will use before it goes out of date or if I can share it with my mum or someone. Having said that I have a cupboard full of Heinz soup as it was on offer in Tesco last week and the freezer has a few packs of king prawns which were bogof the other week.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • moggins
    • By moggins 24th Mar 05, 8:36 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 24th Mar 05, 8:36 PM
    • 24th Mar 05, 8:36 PM
    I have a cupboard full of washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets at the moment, they were on BOGOF at the co-op. It worked out at 2.97 for 40 tablets

I should have stocked up on their washing tablets too but I'd never tried them before and didn't know if they were any good so I only bought a couple of packs
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • skylight
    • By skylight 24th Mar 05, 8:52 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    I found in my local tesco's a particular brand of femanine hygiene product, cheaper to buy in 2 single packs than the so advertised double "Jumbo" packs. Only a few pence cheaper, but nevertheless, cheaper.....
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 24th Mar 05, 9:01 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    in my wellies
    I stock up on certain items at different supermarkets. The offers and BOGOFs come round so I try buy enough to last. Eg I like Sainsburys corned beef and that is often but two get on free or reduced so I buy 9 tins. Lidl is across town and so when I go I do stock up on washing and dishwasher powder and other cleaners. My daughter likes their shampoo and we like the chocolate but that goes too quickly so not at all economical! I wish they were nearer as their fruit and veg is often 1/2 price and is excellent.
  • mrsmab59
    I bulk buy sacks of dog food and dog treats when they're on special offer. One of my dogs has an expensive senior complete food which goes on a 3 for 2 offer every few months so I always stock up then.
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • Jo_R
    Buying food/non-food items in bulk to save
    Hi!

I'm looking very soon to buy some food/non-food items in bulk in order to save us some cash. I was reading a thread not long ago about buying cleaning products online from a particular site in order to save, so my question is can people suggest any items and where to buy in bulk in order to get the best savings?

We already have a big box of washing powder which I am planning on bulking out with soda. Other stuff we use a lot of includes food stuffs like red lentils, brown rice and tinned tomatoes, and non-food includes stuff like washing up liquid, toilet rolls, those sponge scourer thingies (for some reason we get through loads of those!) and baby wipes. I do tend to have a preference for eco-friendly where poss.

Thanks in advance!
  • LearningToSave.
    do you have access to a makro?
    at the moment charmin toilet rolls(24 roll pks) are on offer for 7.49 buy one get one free.
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 23rd Mar 06, 12:39 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    Hi there,
    I tend to find Netto great for buying in bulk but they tend to get things in on an ad hoc basis. They usually do baby wipes (pampers) at about 99p a pack. I bought a box of 6 packs for 5.99 recently. Also they do BIG boxes of washing powder for about 6 every now and then. They don't tend to get Ecover or anything like that unfortunately. Their tinned tomatoes are fine (15p I think) and I can often get tins of campbells condensed mushroom soup for 29p a tin...good for pasta sauce but not very OS! Worth checking them out anyway. I have got a Makro card but I find it helps to be selective as sometimes things are cheaper elsewhere. Lidl here have some 10kg bags of basmati rice for 7.99 at the moment...use by date July 2008 so plenty of time to get through it! HTH
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • bluemoon
    For foodstuffs in bulk, like lentils, mixed pulses (soup mix), split peas, nuts, etc., try www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742
  • halloweenqueen
    I've found after being one of makros customers that their stuff is getting more expensive, a lot of the supermarkets do good offers on loo rolls, coffee and other stuff you can store and probably just as well to wait for them if you can.
  • Mrsbojangles
    I try NOT to bulk buy as I find you use more and are not as careful with the amount of washing powder you use etc. Probably totally not moneysaving, but I would see lots of something and use more, does that make sense (lol)
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    All our Nescafe, Tetleys, posh loo rolls, kitchen rolls, Flash (large 5ltr Ocean), Persil washing liquid (2 x 100 wash 10.00), Lenor (5ltr concentrate) and sometimes their anti bac handwash (4 x 500ml for 2). Probably go to Makros once every 6-8 weeks-generally when they have some excellent offers on and stock up on the items that will be used. These items are normally branded and will only compromise on the loo rolls and kitchen rolls as long as there good quality, which they always are!

I do tend to stock up on cheaper items, but are very disciplined too not use just coz there there IYKWIM.

Aldi's is once every 4-6 weeks and get all tinned items from there and are fabulous quality. I buy their baked beans, kidney beans, sweetocrn, tinned mushy peas, tuna, chopped and plum tomatoes, spagetti, dried rice, posh hams, cheeses, pasta and mushroom sauce, oil, butter, milk, soya milk, yogurts etc.

Shampoo & conditioner is bought in 5ltr bottles from an online company and is Trevor Sorbie costing about 12 for 10ltrs (1 of each) and lasts about a year. The small bottles in Boots are 2-3 each so save a fortune here. Imperial leather is used here and is bought on BOGOF.

Spend probably over the year about 30-35 a week on everything!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • neets
    • By neets 23rd Mar 06, 3:02 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    neets
    Shampoo & conditioner is bought in 5ltr bottles from an online company and is Trevor Sorbie costing about 12 for 10ltrs (1 of each) and lasts about a year. The small bottles in Boots are 2-3 each so save a fortune here. Imperial leather is used here and is bought on BOGOF.

Spend probably over the year about 30-35 a week on everything!

PP
    xx
    by Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher, which online company is this? I'd be interested in having a look myself, thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,133Posts Today

8,989Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin