Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 20Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    Car Breakdown Discussion 27th Mar 12 at 4:48 PM

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Feedback

Last edited by MSE Tony; 27-03-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Page 31
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 11th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    molly57.
    My car is five years old tomorrow. Happy Birthday car! So the warranty and complimentary breakdown cover expires tomorrow as well. I've always been with the RAC over the years and once with the AA and Green Flag. Never had any problems with these three companies except the cost.

I am a single mature lady and planning a big road trip to Scotland and back in the summer. I am looking today to take out breakdown cover to cover me for the next year and every eventuality on my trip. Obviously I want to save money but not cut down on the service I receive.

Which company do you experts recommend for me?

P.S. My car insurance is due for renewal at the end of March 2018. I could risk six weeks without breakdown cover to take advantage of a better deal coupled with my car insurance but knowing my luck the car will breakdown the moment my cover expires!
    Last edited by molly57.; 11-02-2018 at 1:06 PM. Reason: Add more info.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 37,273 Posts
    • 21,434 Thanks
    Quentin
    MSE article on breakdown cover:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/breakdown-cover
    • molly57.
    • By molly57. 11th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    molly57.
    Hello
    Thank you for posting the link to the forum about car insurance/breakdown cover. It was through the link I came to this forum. I'm tempted to go for Green Flag but there seems to be other companies recommended on here that I have never heard of. So not sure at all.
    • By 2010 11th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 4,205 Posts
    • 3,353 Thanks
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Remember this was written last Dec. and the cashback rates have changed since.
    • tonymmm
    • By tonymmm 19th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonymmm
    Got Ripped off by the RAC, what can I do?
    Hi there, I'd love a bit of advice from someone here, My girlfriend has just been given a car by her grandparents, really nice of them, so she was heading home to see her family and the clutch went, she called the RAC to get immediate breakdown cover, happy to pay at the time, annual price 145 quid, but whatever, she had no real choice, the joke thing that was before she signed up they told her that it would be 1 hour 30 minutes, so she paid and went ahead with it. 7 hours later they turned up, after calling twice to chase after them not showing twice. Called today to complain to be told that its unlikely to get anything back, its not the time its the fact that they lied to get her to sign up. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED!
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 18th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Green flag and CBC
    Green Flag - I noticed a slight change in the wording of the recovery option, but does it mean a big change in my cover? I would be grateful if someone with a talent for reading the small print would comment.
    The change in wording is from: “if we can’t fix your vehicle the same day” we will transport it to your home etc;..to “if your vehicle can’t be repaired locally the same day” we will transport it to your home etc.
    Previously; if the mechanic could not get me going at the roadside I could ask for my car to be returned home where I could choose who to get to repair it or do it myself at my price. Am I now correct in thinking that, with the new wording, if the mechanic can not get me going at the roadside he will now be able to say “no I don’t want to take your car home because I know a local garage (his) that I can take you to who will repair it today” and once at that local garage I get to foot the repair bill? Thus not allow me to shop around for a better deal.
    The word local is not defined explicitly in the policy wording, but there is the following in the previous level of cover.
    “Local recovery
    If we come out to your vehicle but can’t get it going, we’ll take you, your vehicle, and your passengers to one of our repairers.”

I then compared CBC and noticed they say something similar.

I'm rather skeptical about having someone I don't know having the choice of taking my car to a garage I don't know.
    • connected123
    • By connected123 25th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    connected123
    Just got my Green Flag renewal for Recovery Plus cover.

Last years cost: £59.40

This years proposed cost: £75.04

That's a 26.33% increase with a so called 'No Call Out Discount', presumably because I haven't had to use them during the year. That kind of increase repaying me for my loyalty and no claims during the year - fantastic business model!

How can any company expect to keep business when there's that kind of hike in the rate when inflation is what - 3%?

I bet the mechanics don't get a 26% salary increase do they?

Here we go again, another product we buy where we have to go searching all over the place filling in endless comparison sites and insurers to get quotes. At 70 yrs of age every hour taken up doing all this is relative to how long I've got left!

What happened to KIS & Keep it Simple?
    Last edited by connected123; 25-03-2018 at 8:26 AM.
    • connected123
    • By connected123 25th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    connected123
    Following my above post, I just went onto Green Flag website to see what it said there and I went for a quote on-line - quoted £61.40 which is £2 increase on last years price for full UK cover (Not personal cover - I didn't need that). I can live with that!

Why do they put you through this paper nonsense and hike up renewals wasting everyone's time?

Okay for another year then!!
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 26th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Following my above post, I just went onto Green Flag website to see what it said there and I went for a quote on-line - quoted £61.40 which is £2 increase on last years price for full UK cover (Not personal cover - I didn't need that). I can live with that!

Why do they put you through this paper nonsense and hike up renewals wasting everyone's time?

Okay for another year then!!
    Originally posted by connected123
    Yes I agree Green Flag don't inspire loyalty. I don't know if you have recovery included but if so you might want to note my post just above yours. In the end I could not agree to their change of wording and looked through MSE article again and found under point 5 Autoaid and got what I thought was a better deal at £43.31. Think you have a 14 day cooling off with Green Flag so its not too late if you want to loose more of your valuable time and change your mind.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My renewal quote from RAC was £122. Rang them up and got that down to £89 and with 3 months free cover.
    • ptlshooper
    • By ptlshooper 29th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ptlshooper
    Haggle haggle haggle!
    Just haggled my AA family renewal and got it down from £378.43 (ridiculous!) to same price as when I joined £219.00 (which was what I was aiming for) I refused a couple of other prices he offered. Very pleased.
    • Elbrus-72
    • By Elbrus-72 17th Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elbrus-72
    Hello I have VW Golf 2009 - for social use mainly and Mitsu Lancer 2008 - used to commute. Pls suggest the cheap roadside assistance? Are parts and labour included?
    • Billoonatic
    • By Billoonatic 26th Jun 18, 3:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Billoonatic
    Haggle
    Just spoken with AA, renewal quote was £271 - best offer (after I refused his first two offers and then he investigated pricematch with RAC) £156.17.
    Good deal for a 12min free call!
    Last edited by Billoonatic; 26-06-2018 at 3:21 PM.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 5th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Has someone hacked the MSE news article?
    The link to Autoaid directs you to Autonational.

Someones been very naughty.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/breakdown-cover/
    • pootles1
    • By pootles1 7th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    pootles1
    Broke down on the M20 last week.Called Autonational to request help and assistance confident that in 30 degree heat with a 5 month old baby and 3 year old child,we would be prioritised and helped quickly.
    Not so as the text we received said they would be with us in an hour.Very concerned about the baby in the extreme heat but was told to call emergency services if baby fell ill.
    Not only did they fail to turn up within the hour,it took them two hours and then we were not taken home but left at the nearest service station which was the next junction down.I had to call someone to bring us home while my husband stayed with the car to await recovery.He arrived home at 9pm, 8 hours after our initial phone call to them.
    Just think about that for a second.Two hours stranded at the side of the M20 in our current heatwave with a baby and toddler and imagine how you would cope with that.
    Horrendous and dangerous situation to be placed in by Autonational.Unbelievably cavalier about the whole situation with no apology or further contact from this company.Please find alternative cover with another company before you consider them.They will not keep you and your family safe in an emergency and without water in my car and an umbrella to shade the children this could have been a tragic tale and not just a horrendous experience story.
    • roseview
    • By roseview 17th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    roseview
    Auto Aid didn't renew by DDR
    We've been with Auto Aid since 2007 and been quite happy with them. We always paid by DDR, so auto renewed. Having broken down at the weekend, it transpires that we aren't covered as they no longer take payments by DDR. We've never received any correspondence about that so were totally unaware.

As it was a Sunday, the call line were unable to contact the office so sent a breakdown truck anyway to recover the vehicle. My OH who was in the car was told that it was 'all taken care of'. Having now been able to speak to Auto Aid, I imagine that somebody is going to want paying at some stage, and we are not prepared to do that since we were under the impression that we were covered and would, if we'd known differently, have made other arrangements for the car.
    Where do we go from here?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 37,273 Posts
    • 21,434 Thanks
    Quentin
    Looks like they gave great service

Why not cough up for another year of cover before you need them again?

See the MSE offer on the main site
    Last edited by Quentin; 17-07-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    • roseview
    • By roseview 17th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    roseview
    Renewal
    I have renewed but it doesn't help the fact that the cover we thought we had was not in place
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Jul 18, 9:35 PM
    • 37,273 Posts
    • 21,434 Thanks
    Quentin
    But they came and recovered you despite you not being covered and told you "it was all taken care of" (presumably that meant nothing to pay) - where is the problem?

You renewed subsequently so were clearly happy to do so!
    Last edited by Quentin; 17-07-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    • roseview
    • By roseview 17th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    roseview
    Who pays
    My concern though is that on realising that they'd not renewed the policy, somebody is going to be chasing for payment. Auto Aid were no help when I called them and said that ERS will probably be chasing us for it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

461Posts Today

3,983Users online

Martin's Twitter