Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 21st Mar 12, 5:07 PM
    • 15,981 Posts
    • 22,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:07 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:07 PM
    How much is the remap? Will your insurance premium rise (mine did)? Bearing these costs in mind, how long will the claimed difference take to pay for itself?

My car is remapped and I haven't noticed any real difference in the fuel consumption.
  • Delivery Driver
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:10 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:10 PM
    Yes they do, as long as you don't go hoofing it about using all that new power.
    You can get massive mpg gains just by changing your driving style too.Lots of pots on here about it.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 21st Mar 12, 5:20 PM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:20 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:20 PM
    Yes they do work for mpg.
    • citykid5
    • By citykid5 21st Mar 12, 5:22 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    citykid5
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:22 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 5:22 PM
    cheapest option would be to have the cat removed?
  • rodenal
    • 21st Mar 12, 6:09 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 6:09 PM
    Mine probably increases mpg...technically speaking. However I use the extra power a bit too often to really see it. There are economy orientated maps though that I imagine drops the power slightly (or maintains it) whilst adjusting the parameters for better every day driving
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 21st Mar 12, 7:54 PM
    • 29,438 Posts
    • 12,096 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 21st Mar 12, 7:54 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 7:54 PM
    Get the power increased and you will find you need less throttle/fuel to maintain the same speed.

But the costs maybe more than you could save. £250+ for a proper remap with a rolling road session to optimise it?
    Cheap tuning boxes will claim to improve MPG also but only because the engine thinks less fuel is going in than there really is.

They wont pay for themselves, If a garage/dealer do an ECU update it can erase the map.

Drive less. I think we all will be the way the prices are going. Unless your a politician on expenses of course.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Obukit
    • By Obukit 21st Mar 12, 9:22 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Obukit
    • 21st Mar 12, 9:22 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 9:22 PM
    cheapest option would be to have the cat removed?
    Originally posted by citykid5
    As of this year your vehicle will fail the MOT if it was originally fitted with a cat but it's been removed.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 21st Mar 12, 9:50 PM
    • 29,438 Posts
    • 12,096 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 21st Mar 12, 9:50 PM
    • 21st Mar 12, 9:50 PM
    As of this year your vehicle will fail the MOT if it was originally fitted with a cat but it's been removed.
    Originally posted by Obukit
    Not on a diesel that doesnt have a full emissions test.

They only do a smoke test. Car mags have confirmed this with VOSA.

Any vehicle that requires a full emission test will fail for a missing CAT. But currently only petrol models require this.

Dont get rid of the CAT though just in case it changes.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• rodenal
    Get the power increased and you will find you need less throttle/fuel to maintain the same speed.

But the costs maybe more than you could save. £250+ for a proper remap with a rolling road session to optimise it?
    Cheap tuning boxes will claim to improve MPG also but only because the engine thinks less fuel is going in than there really is.

They wont pay for themselves, If a garage/dealer do an ECU update it can erase the map.

Drive less. I think we all will be the way the prices are going. Unless your a politician on expenses of course.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Closer to £450 if you want a custom map like that. Most if not all companies will put it back on for free if it gets wiped at the dealer though
  • ventureuk
    Try here before spending money on a remap.

It is MSE after all.

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques
  • andy8442
    Thanks for the replys. I already coax high 30'smpg out of my van. I HAVE to drive for my job. I spend on average £200 a week on fuel so saving just 10% could pay for itself quite quicky. I'm not looking for tips on driving or taking bits off the vehicle, just real experiences of remaps.
  • Delivery Driver
    I've got experience of both remaps and also teaching fuel saving driving and the best gains are to be made on the driving side.You are getting good mpg to start with but it can always be improved .
    Most people initially don't think they can learn anything though, then see the results speak for themselves.
  • Premier
    Hello, with the price of fuel going through the roof I'm considering a engine remap of my diesel van. Is there anyone out there with a genuine experience of increase in MPG with one of these.

I've fitted low resistance tyres, taken everything out of it that I don't need, basically doing everything I can already to improve mpg, and I set off 15 mins earlier as well.
    Originally posted by andy8442
    Yes, it's very easy for anyone with the most basic calibration skills to remap a production car to improve fuel consumption.

Why do you think OEMs don't do this when fuel economy, CO2 emissions and overall COO are all so important to most buyers, especially buyers of diesel engined vehicles?
    Could it be that they know that, through through their £millions R&D programmes, they realise that the production cal. released is one to optimise everything not just fuel economy but including legal emissions requirements and/or otherwise protect other parts of the vehicle.

But go ahead and put a new cal in the vehicle if you think some aftermarket calibrator knows more about a particular vehicle than the OEM does.
    Last edited by Premier; 22-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 22nd Mar 12, 12:02 PM
    • 15,981 Posts
    • 22,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Remapping is no different to old school tuning. When a car is manufactured it gets a one-size-fits-all tune that the manufacturers have tested and are confident will work well on every car of that type that rolls off the production line. This may not be the optimum tune but it can be guaranteed to deliver the correct emissions and adequate power output with the thousands of engines that they produce without them having to mess around tuning each engine individually. If an individual is prepared to take the time (and pay the money), it is quite possible improve the output and efficiency by fine tuning the map to suit the characteristics of an individual engine.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 22nd Mar 12, 12:31 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,535 Thanks
    Strider590
    Not as to !!!! on anyone parade, but aren't remap's are supposed to be made MOT failure's in the near future?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 22nd Mar 12, 12:45 PM
    • 29,438 Posts
    • 12,096 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Yes, They would like remaps to fail the MOT. What they lack though is the equipment and knowledge of howto implement that.

Every ecu could need a checksum that could be verified at MOT time, And every dealer will need to supply updates everytime they build a new update to cure some issue or other.

So if they need to turn the idle up on your model of car, But only ones that were built on 1st-3rd Feb, Then they would need to supply new data to the MOT equipment manufacturers.

• Notmyrealname
    Thanks for the replys. I already coax high 30'smpg out of my van. I HAVE to drive for my job. I spend on average £200 a week on fuel so saving just 10% could pay for itself quite quicky. I'm not looking for tips on driving or taking bits off the vehicle, just real experiences of remaps.
    Originally posted by andy8442
    Do an economical and defensive driving course. It'll make the world of difference - far more than unbolting things and changing things.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 22nd Mar 12, 3:55 PM
    • 15,981 Posts
    • 22,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Do an economical and defensive driving course. It'll make the world of difference - far more than unbolting things and changing things.
    Originally posted by Notmyrealname
    Or put a brick under the accelerator pedal.
  • Notmyrealname
    Or put a brick under the accelerator pedal.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Or the brake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,162Posts Today

6,688Users online

Martin's Twitter