Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 11:00 AM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 11:00 AM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 11:00 AM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 1:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 185
    • MadelinesMum
    • By MadelinesMum 3rd Feb 15, 2:04 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    MadelinesMum
    Finally visited the local £1 chazza, got a few t shirts, an Evans jacket and a delightful sausage dog, dressed as a leprechaun, ornament.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need.
    • toozie
    • By toozie 3rd Feb 15, 6:24 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    I love CS, managed to get case full of Magnext for my granddaughter-who is 6 for £3.00.
    (It was teacher training yesterday)
    I had no idea what they where, she saw them, and said they had them in school.
    We had a couple of hours yesterday snugged up warm on the floor playing with them-they are actually quite addictive! Might see me playing with them when she is not here!!
    Just checked it quite expensive stuff-we must have got over 150 pieces.

On another subject-we are going to Buxton -Derbyshire for 2 nights in a couple of weeks.
    Anyone recommend the cheaper (maybe local) CS in Buxton or further a field-we will have a car and be expoloring -depending on snow though!

Thank you
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Feb 15, 6:28 AM
    • 23,652 Posts
    • 63,783 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I don't know Buxton but what I always do when visiting somewhere new is check out 'charity shops' in x town using Yell.com and then sort by 'distance' and it gives you the list nearest the centre.

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?autocomplete=kw_recentlo&scramb leSeed=224607261&searchType=proximityadvance&keywo rds=charity%20shops&location=buxton%2C%20derbyshir e
    • Frith
    • By Frith 3rd Feb 15, 3:50 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 49,268 Thanks
    Frith
    Anyone in Worcestershire/Shropshire, size 14 in need of a very posh outfit?

Kemp Hospice in Bewdley has a 2 piece, goldy coloured ensemble, unworn. £499 price tag still on, now £80!

(Didn't find anything for us today)
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 3rd Feb 15, 5:21 PM
    • 27,563 Posts
    • 117,434 Thanks
    candygirl
    A brand new Barbie wall clock for 50p, and the old bloke in shop even put a battery in for me
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 4th Feb 15, 5:41 AM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 37,362 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    My first visit to Otley since before Xmas and, as usual, St Gemma's cs didn't let me down. Ainsley Harriott's Low-fat Meals for 50p, Beauty & The Beast pc game 30p, Gosford Park and Scooby-Doo dvds 99p each and a lovely spotty scarf for 99p.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 4th Feb 15, 7:28 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    Rowan moon

On another subject-we are going to Buxton -Derbyshire for 2 nights in a couple of weeks.
    Anyone recommend the cheaper (maybe local) CS in Buxton or further a field-we will have a car and be expoloring -depending on snow though!

Thank you
    Originally posted by toozie
    You will love Buxton, it is charity shop heaven. On the main shopping street there are about 6 charity shops. The other great place for charity shops is Bakewell (about half an hour drive from Buxton). The Bluebell hospice shop there is really good and Bakewell is nice for a day out anyway.
    • MadelinesMum
    • By MadelinesMum 4th Feb 15, 10:51 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    MadelinesMum
    I went to Hythe in Kent and the cs were soooo expensive. Sadly the Shelter shop was closing down and had all items £1, got a couple of tops and bnwt debs trousers. Don't think I'll bother with Hythe again.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need.
    • toozie
    • By toozie 4th Feb 15, 6:56 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    You will love Buxton, it is charity shop heaven. On the main shopping street there are about 6 charity shops. The other great place for charity shops is Bakewell (about half an hour drive from Buxton). The Bluebell hospice shop there is really good and Bakewell is nice for a day out anyway.
    Originally posted by Rowan moon
    That's great, will definitely have trip to Bakewell too.
    We are using a Travel Zoo our daughters bought us for Xmas for 2 nights in Buxton-so we haven't paid to go!!
    Just hope the weather isn't too bad now.

Thank you, I love the "local" CS, they are the only ones I go to here, as they are not as corporate.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 5th Feb 15, 7:43 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 49,268 Thanks
    Frith
    Yesterday had a good look round Worcester.

On to Gt Malvern where I found a White Stuff tunic top 100% linen (a rare need to get the iron out!) for £8.95. It is mauve with embroidered birds.

Also from Oxfam Gt Malvern got a bag of dried apricots, eaten in about 5 minutes by sons and a game of tiddlywinks!
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Feb 15, 8:47 AM
    • 30,933 Posts
    • 64,695 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I bought a nice Calvin Klein dress yesterday for £9. Looks barely used. Also a nice summer blouse for £5 (not actually cheap, but versatile).

My last charity shop "find" is actually a warning. I tried to return an item (brand new) to a "Sense" store I'd bought just a few days ago and was told no returns, in the end I got a credit note which is valid for all of 3 months. This kind of company policy makes me see red, especially when I donate good quality / unused items so freely myself. Needless to say there are loads of other charity stores I'll take goods to now in preference.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Miró
    • By Miró 10th Feb 15, 4:22 PM
    • 6,051 Posts
    • 26,444 Thanks
    Miró
    Due to circs beyond my control, (hozza stay), not been shopping lately but have enjoyed reading about all your finds. Back in action now and.....

Today got a raspberry pink B/N T shirt for 50p, a BNWT plain white shirt which will be perfect with jeans for £1.50 and.... a pair of navy Converse All Stars, hardly worn for £8.50, (bit pricy but always fancied some and couldn't ever bring myself to pay £30 - £40 for them).

Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 12th Feb 15, 1:47 PM
    • 21,243 Posts
    • 23,784 Thanks
    dogcat
    Yesterday, got a gorgeous dark mauve (almost black) velvet and silk jacket for a fiver...well pleased...I love velvet!
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 12th Feb 15, 2:11 PM
    • 8,000 Posts
    • 35,745 Thanks
    tea lover
    At the weekend I got a black belt with a HUGE jewelled buckle on it from the pdsa shop. Am going to a pirate party next week and this will be perfect. It still had the New Look tags on (£8 new). I got it for 75p.
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 12th Feb 15, 4:19 PM
    • 6,789 Posts
    • 53,702 Thanks
    sparrer
    A set of four Glen Millers cd's for 50p. I love big band sound, my neighbours might not soon though
    • Skadi
    • By Skadi 12th Feb 15, 11:33 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 11,122 Thanks
    Skadi
    Yesterday I got two Ladybird books for 20p each and a signed Susan Hill book for £1.50
    Best 2016 Wins - Nails Inc Bundle, Sebo Vacuum, Walking Dead Figure Subscription
    • Melvin9191
    • By Melvin9191 13th Feb 15, 12:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Melvin9191
    I bought a sealed murder mystery board game for £2.00 yesterday. Very pleased as I only went into the charity shop on a whim and found this, and I love playing board games.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Feb 15, 1:09 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    kboss2010
    My latest bargains were a bird print chiffon blouse for £3.50 and a pair of TopShop black trousers for £4 - a few years ago I bought several pairs of these new and they're really thick fabric and last for ages!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Lizling
    • By Lizling 15th Feb 15, 6:38 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    Lizling
    V-neck jumper made from 80% silk by Joseph, in perfect condition for £9. Really lovely quality and fits beautifully. I've just checked online, and their jumpers are £200 to well over £300 new.

I think there must be a regular donator to that charity shop who's my exact size and likes the brand, because this is the 2nd Joseph top I've bought there.
    Saving for deposit: Finished!
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 15th Feb 15, 8:08 PM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 40,575 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    A framed print of Osborne's The Dolls' School £10 Took in 18 items so decided I could treat myself to one Will hang in my bedroom and move the London painting downstairs . http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpage.cfm/NationalGalleryofIreland/_cp1/284130/The%20Dolls%20School,%20Walter%20Osborne%201900%3B %20Dublin%201859-1903%20Dublin.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle Oct: 33
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,543Users online

Martin's Twitter