Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    • 2,349Posts
    • 13,186Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 8:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of 132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 4:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 84
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th May 19, 10:39 AM
    • 31,494 Posts
    • 185,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry you've been so down, madvix, but good that you're feeling better today (and ooh to cheap raspberries!) (as well as learning yoga!).
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 13,186 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Thanks Karma - feeling much more positive this morning (although the overall concerns remain). We had a good weekend. DH felt ill on Saturday, so didn't do a lot (spent the day in bed, which is very unlike him). I attacked the front garden though and it looks much better for it. It's quite a big area and the neighbours like to sit in theirs, smoking and chatting and we don't really like being out there when they are - I know it's a front garden, but there's no road, just a path, so it's quite quiet and you feel like you're intruding on their space even though you're in your own garden! Fortunately they were out (and it kept raining!), so I could get on without feeling awkward. I also went to the nearby garden centre to use the 5 voucher. Bargain alert: they had peat-free compost in, which was 1 cheaper than the bag I bought last week (which had to be organic to be p-f), and with garden centre membership card I got 15% off too, so 50 litres of p-f compost was 70p!

Yesterday we went to the nursery we discovered last year - bargainous plants but sadly they'd sold out of all their tomatoes I think my freebie from the other garden centre will have to do. Have more plants than space now (whoops), but got most planted up yesterday as well as my freegle bean plants (in an old recycling box and with canes cut from mum's garden and hm compost. Afraid we were both so exhausted by the end of yesterday (DH's quick fix to car for MOT was anything but - who designs these vehicles??!) that we ordered takeaway. Still, it's doing lunch today too, so that's something. Menu plan has been pushed back a day.

After all that, I'm rather achy today! MOT retest at 11.30 (the last for now) and I'll pop to the zero-waste shop while I'm up that way for the monthly top up.

MS things:
    * Bargainous plants planted up
    * 70p compost
    * homemade compost
    * Clicks, comps etc.

Gratitudes:
    * Gorgeous weather
    * Takeaway
    * A good night's sleep has restored my energy levels, if not the full range of movement!

Have a good day all!
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 15th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 2,595 Posts
    • 27,363 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Glad you are feeling more energetic and your gardening sounds amazing. I think you are right to focus on the things you can control/effect with the environment, as it is so vast a problem to ponder.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

50 Frugal Living Tips that Really Work : https://youtu.be/eBorBymXXCQ

Budget for May - Real Figures: https://youtu.be/vu8h_RW6TIY
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th May 19, 9:04 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 13,186 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Thanks Earthie! I'm quite pleased with the garden at the moment. I had a count yesterday and we're growing garlic, cabbage, potatoes, runner beans, Brussels sprouts, chillis, peppers, tomato, rhubarb, redcurrants, raspberries, strawberries and apples, as well as various herbs and I'll replant some peas too, but DH needs to mend the fence first. Of the annuals, the only money paid was for the chilli plants - all the rest were freebies from garden centre free vouchers, very generous man on freegle or bits saved from kitchen (garlic, potatoes and peppers). Nothing in huge quantities, but enough to keep us busy and fed some of the time and definitely the most I've ever grown!

Time to confess to rather a big error. At the end of March I forgot to send the invoice to one of my main clients (formerly known as the Naughty Americans). Only realised this this week when I emailed to check whether payment was scheduled (all Americans pay in 45 days, which is carp). AP had no record of invoice and a check of my email showed it hadn't ever been sent. So they won't be paying this month and it was going to form the main chunk of my income. It was also a rather large amount. This is a royal pita as it also means I'm extending them waaaay more credit than I'd like, as they are the company I'm doing the big project for at the moment alongside all my other work for them and the outstanding invoice from end of April. AP have said they'll do their best to get the March invoice paid in 30 days, which is something, but I don't feel happy about this situation at all. I'll be checking and double-checking I've actually sent the invoice in future.

DH/savings will be subbing me come the end of the month, I think. That's what my buffer fund is for! In the meantime, frugal May continues, although it's the L2B this weekend (we can still be frugal though!).

MS things:
    * Clicks and comps done (nice 100 SBs survey for 4 mins work yesterday )
    * Bargainous (but not plastic-free) fish purchases on Tuesday - 24p for 7 pounds worth of smoked cod - all in the freezer for a lovely fish pie or two at some point.
    * Garden being watered from water butt (at the moment....)
    * 5 pound L2S voucher from RM survey
    * 6 1st class stamps as compensation for Ebay parcel damage.... cos I haven't got enough 1st class stamps If I'd paid cash for the postage I think I'd be a bit peeved at getting stamps as compensation, but as I only put RM survey stamps on, I guess it's okay. No refund for value of item though as I didn't have proof of value.

Gratitudes:
    * Saw 1st-cousin-once-removed yesterday - she was visiting her mum and Mum and I called in - was lovely to see her and catch up on the news
    * Quick cuddle with niece yesterday afternoon when we got back - she was pleased to see me
    * Projects from other clients - while I don't have a lot of time at the moment, at least this helps spread the risk/guarantees some short-term income!

Have a good day all, I'd better get back to the grindstone.... kettle on first though!
    Last edited by themadvix; 16-05-2019 at 9:08 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 19, 6:43 PM
    • 31,494 Posts
    • 185,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What a shame about the error! Sorry to hear that I'm glad you can scratch around and make ends meet, but it doesn't feel too good, does it (Just re-read your post - not good about the value of your ebay item, either ).

Your garden *really* sounds wonderful though, thats a lot of crops when you're not even mentioning herbs individually. All power to your elbow!
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 17th May 19, 8:24 PM
    • 2,595 Posts
    • 27,363 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Wonderful gardening!

Sorry about the mistake but hopefully it'll be paid soon.

Have a great weekend!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd May 19, 10:40 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 13,186 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Karma and Earthie.

Still really, really busy with work and the moment, although have returned a couple of bits this morning, so feeling slightly more on top of things (my mind is even turning to leaving the house!). Hopefully this will pay off soon.

Had a great weekend at the L2B. Spent quite a bit of money on food, but Mum paid for lunch for us in Brighton on the Sunday and we did opt for McD's breakfast both days (I had porridge which doesn't really count and actually DH didn't bother with breakfast on the Monday).

Went to an NT place on the Monday on the way home - used my Christmas present voucher to pay for half of lunch. Tried to use SBs-bought gift voucher for the other half.... It had expired.... It was two months old, and meant to be valid for 24 months. SBs have very kindly refunded me my points 'as a one-off'. Bl00dy cheek! This is the second time I've had problems with SBs and NT vouchers, so I'm sadly going to avoid using them for these from now on. Instead have hatched a plan to use them for DH's music subscription (he's been tarting around on free offers for 2+ years now, but the offers are coming to an end) and he'll give me the value in cash as my 'cake fund'.

DH and I both struggling with sleep at the moment - we need a new mattress. Have found one we think we'll try - it's quite expensive but it's wool (unlike all these plastic foam ones about at the moment), and has a long guarantee. When I get paid by the Americans (the big bill), I think we'll be investing in one.

MS things:
    * Cancelled NT membership - runs out end of June. Will be using some of the money from Nan to purchase life membership, so didn't want to have to pay for a year's membership in the meantime (120 saved!). Not expecting the money from Nan's estate yet (house isn't on market quite), so will see how we go. If necessary (i.e. I want to go to an NT place after June before the money arrives), I'll use savings to pay for the life membership and return the money when I receive it.
    * Won a DVD of Into the spiderverse.... Hmm... didn't win the TV which is what I entered for! Will be ebayed!
    * Clicks etc have been kept up with, despite mega work volume. Yesterday was a super day on SBs - 140-odd earned! (Comps and surveys have been lacking this week though -something has to give and these are they.)

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely weekend and it stayed dry
    * Beans (and other things) are visibly growing every day!
    * My alliums have come out - I've wanted some for years and finally planted them in the autumn

Have a great day all. I have been reading, but not posting on others diaries... there's not enough hours in the day at the moment!
    Last edited by themadvix; 23-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd May 19, 2:24 PM
    • 31,494 Posts
    • 185,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Glad to hear you're good but grrr to SB/NT - I've carried on just getting Amazon vouchers, I must say, there's always something I can usefully buy on there. And now that I've just joined the NT again, I'm going to make better use of the year - last time, I only broke even, I think, life kept getting in the way

I'm with you on the spiderverse I'd rather have alliums too
    Retired August 2016
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 24th May 19, 9:22 PM
    • 6,725 Posts
    • 46,669 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi vix, sorry to hear about your invoice problems, hopefully they will pay promptly
    MFW 21

72,866.48 left target 10k/ 6,133.52 in 2019
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 25th May 19, 4:28 PM
    • 2,595 Posts
    • 27,363 Thanks
    earthgirl
    SB/nt was ridiculous - glad you complained.
    NT life membership sounds like a great thing to buy from your nan.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,626Posts Today

4,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin