Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    • 2,286Posts
    • 12,899Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 8:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 8:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of £132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 4:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 82
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    themadvix
    Can the lap cat knead the dough for you? Knowing what they do to humans
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Erm... not if I want it relatively fur free!!

Earthie - I definitely don't stick to it rigidly, but it gives me a basis and has made me consider jobs that should be done that I definitely wouldn't have though of!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Apr 19, 10:10 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Had a nice, quiet weekend (probably should have done more). Work is underway this morning, but struggling to keep my attention Have a meal plan for the week and hope to get some jobs done in the evenings too. Cat sitting begins on Weds morning and I'm doing an RM survey for the next fortnight, so plenty of 'side hustles' going on.

MS things:
    * 20 GBP (don't ask, my pound sign isn't playing...) payout from PA
    * Clicks etc.
    * Veg box and milk cancelled as I bought milk at weekend and we have plenty of veg to use up (and we're out some of the weekend and there's spring greens we *must* eat some of in the garden!)
    * Rhubarb picked and stewed ready for dessert on Saturday when friends come over
    * Reduced milk bought and turned into rice pud in slow cooker
    * Small Ebay sale

Gratitudes:
    * Homemade millionaire's shortbread - courtesy of DH. It's delicious!
    * Lunch out with mum and uncle yesterday (clearing at Nan's house)
    * Trip to the park on Friday afternoon with sis and niece

Have a good day all... S'pose I'd better get back to work!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 19, 9:57 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Just received some mini eggs in the post from RM survey - didn't think I'd get any as not on the main survey. It's partially made up for the fact that DH keeps getting creme eggs at work (he does bring me them occasionally)!

Bitty bits of work to get done this morning and then my car has its MOT this afternoon. Really hoping it passes as DH has done lots of work to it.

Payment has been made for the cat sitting as it starts tomorrow. I hope it all goes smoothly (it should, indoor, very laid back cats).

Am currently making more hot x buns... they were meant to be pittas but put way too much yeast into the flour, so changed plans! Such a hardship!

MS things:
    * Clicks etc. all done, inc bonus points for MS rewards
    * YG survey done
    * Naughty American client might have to just be American client from now on.... payment is on schedule for Thursday and therefore not late!
    * CD survey info updated - only post was the mini eggs from them!

Gratitudes:
    * Nice evening and walk chatting with DH yesterday
    * Millionaire's shortbread... did I mention this??!
    * Mad cats!

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 19, 2:56 PM
    • 31,282 Posts
    • 184,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hope the catsitting goes really well! I'm sure it'll be a doddle, you'll do great. But post the anonymised funny stories on here!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th Apr 19, 9:04 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Sadly nothing too amusing this morning Karma, although one of the supposedly angelic cats had knocked some treats on the floor and broken into the packaging. Didn't see her though, just her friend, who enjoyed a play and some belly rubs At least the key worked, I got in ok, and the stuff I needed was available. Absolutely disgusting present had been left in the litter tray! I thought my boys were bad!! Hope that doesn't occur again (uncovered too, so you know it's a protest poo! )

DH and I may have gone out for an unscheduled dinner last night.... whoops! But it was nice and we enjoyed it (and the place wasn't full of screaming children, so that was a win for the Easter holidays).

My MOT had to be abandoned as it was leaking brake fluid (which made it unsafe to do the braking tests). DH was cross as he'd obviously left something undone.... Anyway, it didn't cost and I'm taking it in again on Friday.

MS things:
    * Cat sitting
    * Another small Ebay sale (it had all gone quiet, so it's nice to have had two in quick succession)
    * Clicks etc.
    * Entered *lots* of Gfk TV survey prize draws - my points total had got to 40,000+, so I have many, many tickets! Fingers crossed I'll win something.
    * ETA: Forgot to say I won 20p on TCB's latest hummingbird promotion

Gratitudes:
    * Everything has gone smoothly with the cats so far (I was worried about this, but I think I can relax a bit now).
    * A walk yesterday evening and dinner out
    * A friendly self-sufficientish freegler came round for a couple of bits and he's always up for a chat - nice to see him, but he didn't bring any goodies this time (hungry gap, I guess!).

Plenty of work to be doing this morning and I need to pop out for a few bits at some point (and think today might be quieter than tomorrow!). Have a good one everyone!
    Last edited by themadvix; 17-04-2019 at 9:33 AM.
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th Apr 19, 9:15 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Cats are still fine - made friends with the scaredy one this morning - she came to hide under the side of the bed nearest me (and chatted - she's part siamese so chatty ) and I gave her some treats.

Busy day today, as finishing off some work and then going to help Mum take some bits to the dump. Need to do a food shop for the weekend visitors, as Dad distracted me yesterday by taking me out for lunch instead of me working or shopping!

MS things:
    * Another ebay sale (weird how it's suddenly picked up)
    * Clicks etc.
    * Baileys ice cream I made to use up the condensed milk from DH's millionaire's shortbread is delicious and dead simple. We'll be enjoying this at the weekend!

Gratitudes:
    * Nice time with Dad yesterday, although the lunch was a bit poor
    * New cat friend made
    * Managed a walk with DH again last night (although shorter as he was looking at my car)

Have a good day all, and a great Easter too if I don't make it back on here!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 19, 9:47 AM
    • 31,282 Posts
    • 184,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lovely Easter for you too, madvix I'm glad the chatty cat came out to miaow
    Retired August 2016
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th Apr 19, 8:58 AM
    • 6,689 Posts
    • 46,446 Thanks
    newgirly
    Ah, glad it’s going well with the cats, mine is Siamese and “chatty” is a serious understatement for her

Have a great easter weekend
    MFW 21

£75,073.14 left, target £10k/ £3926k in 2019
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Apr 19, 9:58 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Newgirly. Our boys are quite chatty (whingey, really) but she's quite a cutey - it is just chatting not 'feed me' or general moaning. Have actually quite enjoyed going to look after the cats - only two more visits left now. I keep having to remind myself I'm getting paid for it!

I'm sitting waiting for my MOT again.... Very stressed but taking advantage of Kwik Fit's excellent free Wi-Fi - did some work (Americans don't have Easter weekend off!) and now just waiting....
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 31,282 Posts
    • 184,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good luck with the MOT! I'm so glad your first professional catsitting is going so well
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,509Posts Today

4,190Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin