Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 2,030Posts
    • 11,636Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of £132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 65
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

Just a quick update as I've got loads of work on and have said I'll visit Nan with Dad this afternoon.

We had a fab time away this weekend participating in various hobbies of ours and seeing some good friends and family. It was an unintentionally cheap weekend - while we paid for our meals on Friday we weren't allowed to pay for our drinks (the car friends who never let us pay!), on Saturday my Uncle bought our sandwiches and a drink for us (also used the same line as our friend the day before - if you put it on the room tab, apparently it's not real money! ); and then we saw friends yesterday who insisted on buying lunch! Honestly, we did try to pay for things - quite insistently at times... but we just weren't winning. We are very lucky to have such lovely friends and family and will repay the favour - hopefully!

So we paid for Friday's activities, our camping, a couple of trips to Sains for food to cook and then ice creams (which we took a random diversion for - Billy Bob's Ice Cream Parlour, off the A59 is expensive, but amazing ice cream!). Not an expensive weekend all told!

And I've just been gifted a plate of fishy pasta for lunch by our neighbour (I'm not sure if she's trying to fatten me up for Christmas - it was waaay bigger than a lunch portion!). I did at least exchange it for a bit of underlay and a promise of some rhubarb.

I've had notification through that my jury service has been deferred until Feb! And I've got paperwork to sign for my FD account and post back. Plenty of RM stuff to do - including a bonus survey this week for an extra voucher.

MS things:
    * PA payout received and a survey done too
    * MS rw, VB, SBs done
    * NV survey done
    * RM bits posted/admin sorted
    * S&S and FOTG done

Gratitudes:
    * A wonderful weekend, indulging our favourite hobbies
    * Great friends (who would still be great if they hadn't paid for everything too) and good company
    * Beautiful scenery in Yorkshire - we'll be back to explore more there, I'm sure
    * Yummy lunch

Enjoy the afternoon folks! x
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That really does sound fab, and youve packed in so much too. And you were in Yorkshire
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Hey Karma - yes, it was really good and great to combine so many things too.

We finally totalled up our spending for last month last night (thank you, whatsapp spending diary!). We spent £192 on food (+£35 on food out - veg box meal and couple of incidentals for DH when caught short at work meetings). This seems pretty good as it included an online order, 3 veg boxes, 2 lots of entertaining and at least two trips to the zero-waste shop. I comment on this as having never done a spending diary, I had literally no idea how much we spend on food. And even better, our freezer is still chocka, so we should have lower spends this month too.

The shocking spend was £225 on fuel. Some of this is unavoidable as it's commuting costs for DH, but I spent more than normal driving various parents (especially my Dad) around. August should be much better (although our weekend away wasn't fuel-light) as I don't have Brownies, evening class or, hopefully, quite so much ferrying to do!

Total spend (excluding bills) was £655. And of this, £73.34 was spent using gift cards/vouchers. DH thought we should exclude those, but actually, it was all stuff we'd have had to pay cash for otherwise - not frivolous spending.

We will keep the spending diary up (although modified to only record cash/cheque spends as we'll use our CC statements for the rest. I know I'm late to the party, but it is good to be able to see what we spend on!

My thoughts are beginning to turn towards frugalising Christmas - some presents need making now if they're going to be any good for then. I see redcurrant/rhubarb gin being a popular choice and possibly an elimination of gift-swapping with siblings (jury's out on that).

MS things:
    * 4/5 (I lost count) YG 50p surveys - one after the other!
    * £2 L2S voucher from RM survey
    * VB, SB, MS rw done
    * Yoghurt made

Gratitudes:
    * Pigeon entertainment in the garden while we ate dinner last night!
    * A good visit with Nan yesterday
    * Free eggs and cucumber - via Mum (not her produce, but from friends/relatives) - can't say no to free food!

Have a lovely afternoon all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You got free food as well as me I like it.

The fuel is high, sadly ...any chance you can combine a few trips, be a bit more planned about the travel? It takes a while to do that, of course - great that you're starting to get the information to make informed choices now. You'll up that savings rate yet
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    We're pretty good about combining trips. Unfortunately DH works 18 miles away from home. He does however give someone a lift (found through a website for these things), so he gets some money to help offset the cost of fuel (although it's currently rebuilding his car maintenance fund) and it works really well - they've been sharing for over a year now.

I normally get away with spending £50 on fuel per month, but I spent more than that last month (and the £15 my Dad gave me did not touch the amount I must have spent ferrying him around when he could have got a taxi - not when ill but when his car was at the garage and insurance would have paid for taxi!). I can often go four days without using my car - just not last month.

I seem to be getting free food in one form or another from every direction at the moment! Food spends should be super low this month!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

It's a bit cooler here today at last and it looks like it'll stay around 23 for the next couple of weeks, which frankly will be a welcome relief - I love the sunshine, but it was beginning to get a bit samey! And the cats will appreciate the cooler temps - our house has been like a sauna.

Well.... last night our neighbour outdid herself... we (not me) had chicken curry with rice and salads for 3 (I had some leftover daal from the night before) - took it round to BIL and GF. I'd made some naans - some for neighbour and some as part of a thank you for BIL for looking after the cats - and when neighbour turned up with huge plate of food for DH and I (there was rice for me, just no chicken) and I mentioned that I was doing extra naans and why, she promptly came back with more chicken and then the rice she couldn't eat because she'd eaten two of the naans I'd given her with her dinner! (If you followed that you're doing well!). There was more than the four of us could eat.... I've stopped feeling so guilty though as I've discovered that the old lady she cooks for wouldn't help her out when she needed help a few years ago - so if I'm friendly, give her something every now and then and have time to chat, I think I'm doing the right thing.

We had a lovely evening - watched Paddington 2 (I love that film ) and had a couple of drinks and managed not to spill curry on the walk over to BIL's.

Popping out to zero-waste shop later - meeting mum in the town for a wander (she wants to visit the shop), so not a NSD but only buying the food we need.

MS things:
    * Must post ebay sale
    * HG tomatoes in dinner tonight
    * VB, SBs, MS rw
    * TT and interest sweep into savings
    * DH won £25 on PBs
    * We are laser-focused on saving not spending (must sort out food for DH's lunch tomorrow though - plain cous cous doesn't cut it!)

Gratitudes:
    * A delicious meal cooked by someone else (and for the record, neighbour told me to pass it off as my own, which I certainly did not!)
    * A lovely evening with BIL and GF (much as I imagined it would be when they moved here)
    * My first loo roll delivery from WGAC arrived today - and is stashed in the space I cleared for it (weird, me??)

Have a good day all! x
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, you do a lot every day, madvix, its admirable!

Your neighbour sounds really determined to build bridges with people who treat people fairly, and who reciprocate - not necessarily in kind, but in lots of other ways. A shame she's been so badly let down in the past.

I'm glad you like Paddington 2 - I'd earmarked it for this accidental trial I've got of Amazon Prime, wasn't quite sure but I've read some really good reviews. I'll make sure to watch it within the trial period now, thanks.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Karma, although I'm not sure I do. People who have full-time jobs that mean they're out of the house most of the day always seem to have to fit a lot more in!

Paddington 2 is excellent - we saw it at the cinema, so I was more than happy when BIL put it on last night (also via Amazon Prime - they pay for such things! ).

Just been to return plates to neighbour and spent an hour there having a cuppa.... DH has been in and gone out again while I've been out! I think she's perhaps a bit lonely. But it's nice to have someone to chat with
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

It's a bit soggy here today. It didn't stop me walking down to the vets though for some worming tablets. My step count is doing well so far today. Posted an RM item on the way too.

In exciting news, I have a new kettle!! It took argoose a whole week to put the price back down to sensible (i.e. not rip-off) levels after their promotion ended, but I won in the end as they'd reduced it by another £5, so I paid £45, which was exactly covered by the Argoose vouchers and I didn't have to use the L2S ones/any cash. Patience *is* a virtue (one which I was running out of!).

MS things:
    * £2.25 more on YG surveys
    * 50p NV survey
    * SBs, VB, MS rws
    * Lunch has been promised by neighbour Sounds like it should be delicious!

Gratitudes:
    * A new friend - we had a lovely chat yesterday
    * A quieter day workwise - I got caught up yesterday, so a smallish project today and some time to do houseworky things
    * Discounted frozen pizza in the freezer - tonight's tea

Hope the weather is better with you! (Not that we don't all need the rain!). x
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well done on the kettle (and YG, they've disappeared from my inbox). Weather here is also rainy, but I'm glad of it, and I'm sure my plants are too
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all!

It's been a lovely few days, which is why I've not been online. DH was at his brother's stag do on Friday and Saturday - not cheap, but could have been a lot worse and DH took snacks on both days to help minimise spending. I spent Friday morning working and doing my tax return (excitement!). Enjoyed the lunch gifted by my neighbour - delicious fish and seafood noodle curry - mmm. Spent the afternoon doing jobs with Mum and popped in to see Nan.

Saturday Mum and I went out NTing for the day - two properties visited, packed lunch eaten and just £10 spent on tea and cake (definitely worth it!).

Unfortunately we've discovered that the garage roof is leaking (this discovery involved the circuits tripping as water was getting into the light switch ). So we will be replacing the roof in the next couple of weeks... We reckon this will cost about £500 (hmm.... sounds like that's effectively where my win is going!). We intend to do it ourselves, but will order the new stuff as a kit that comes cut to size with all the relevant bits (gutters etc.).

Yesterday we saw our best friends and met their baby daughter - she was gorgeous It was lovely to see them and they seem to be coping well with parenthood.

MS things:
    * Another ebay sale posted
    * YG survey and MM surveys done
    * Toms and peas from garden being eaten (about 10 peas, nothing to get excited about!)
    * A gifted cucumber, dried rosemary and chilli from parents in law
    * Gifted dill and bay from neighbour (I did take a chicken tikka masala to our friends, so it's not all take and no give!)
    * RM survey items posted and more L2S vouchers

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely time with Mum on Saturday in a beautiful part of the country (Suffolk - one of my favourite places)
    * Abundance in food, friendship and fun
    * Rain for the garden

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds a great weekend - and you fitted two NT properties in, thats good! The roofing kit sounds really interesting - very empowering to do it yourself

Totally with you on the gratitudes
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Things have been fairly quiet here over the last few days - some work, lots of housework. Our neighbour provided a lovely curry last night, and then came back with cat nip and balls for the cats! We are all very appreciative. I took her some rhubarb and biscuits yesterday too.

MS things:
    * Comp win cheque has arrived - still need to pay it in
    * Visited the library for free entertainment
    * DH has listed a few bits on the Bay which should help declutter and bring a few pennies in
    * YG and NV surveys
    * SBs Swago and code extravaganza helped yesterday
    * The usual stuff! Definitely in the mid-month slog patch at the moment.
    * Yoghurt made, bananas used up in a cake
    * Baked a terrible foccaccia (i.e. tastes like normal plain bread) - will use it up though

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely dinner last night - honestly it's better than takeaway!
    * A Mum and Niece day today as Sis has gone back to 4 days a week (Niece will usually be in nursery, but this is a transition phase)
    * Learnt something new on a piece of work software - always good for the brain

Hope the weather's better where you are (chucking it down here - blaming it on the local free outdoor cinema! ). Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yep, chucking it here too, well, the raindrops are small, but they just keep coming I'm blaming it on the council's fun day, held on the rec. ground I can see from my house. Poor things!
    Retired August 2016
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 16th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi MV,

Sorry I haven't popped in for a while! sounds like things have been going well for you - Whats this about a competition win? (didn't read back that far )

We had the rain this morning but it's been sunny this afternoon long may it last

How lovely that you have a neighbour that feeds you! My parents also have one of those, I'm very jealous

Have a nice day
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Oct 2018 £82,359.83
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 20th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Hi Crumpets - I won £500 in a puzzle competition on the comping board Have just discovered I can't win anything more with Bauer for 6 months though (date is in the diary, it'll save me time in the meantime!)

Really struggling for energy at the moment - but we've had a busy weekend! I put my somewhat dubious sewing skills to the test and created a cover for our letter box cage to stop naughty cat from chewing any plastic that comes through the door (i.e. RM survey stuff, every week, don't get me started). Quite pleased with it and it cost me nothing as I already had the fabric - bought a long time ago on a whim. Frugal win was reusing some wrapping paper kept at Christmas as it had a 1cm grid marked out on the back of it - who needs pattern paper?!

Saturday afternoon we went to a neighbour's bbq - really weren't sure about going, but actually had a lovely time, ended up staying until 9.30 and were fed to excess and had leftovers forced upon us! They did us both for lunch yesterday and there's enough for me for lunch today too - all Carribean food, absolutely delish! (So the theme of being fed by others continues this month )

Yesterday DH did some car stuff (including finding bits to ebay) and I went for a walk - with more new people! The introvert in me is so glad I'm working alone at home today. It was really nice to meet some new people though.

In bad news, the cats knocked my phone off the side last night while it was charging and now the charging cable has to be at exactly the right angle to charge.... it's not looking too promising for it's longevity at this point. I really don't want a new phone!

MS things:
    * DH sold his old PS3 on the Bay
    * Couple of other bits are selling, need to list more
    * Free food! (And a bottle of punch - provided by the feeder neighbour for the party but was leftover - to enjoy tonight with BIL and GF)
    * Comps entered, MS rw, SBs, and VB done
    * S&S and FOTG done
    * All survey invites done, PA survey done
    * General frugalness being upheld while enjoying life

Gratitudes:
    * For the opportunity to get to know our neighbours better
    * For delicious food
    * For a lovely walk yesterday with new people
    * For lovely family time yesterday afternoon/evening

- truly feeling blessed at the moment

Have a good Monday everyone!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 30,181 Posts
    • 175,204 Thanks
    Karmacat
    How wonderful! Except the phone, don't blow on it, even! I completely get that the introvert in you is overjoyed to be alone working at home today
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 21st Aug 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Thanks Karma - changed the phone cable and it seems to be working a bit better... fingers crossed! Didn't sleep again last night - hayfever is the culprit (and the wind-dried bedsheets ). Eventually came down for an antihistamine tablet in the middle of the night, but not before plenty of 'I'm nearly asleep, I don't need to do that'. So I'm exhausted, have plenty of work to do and several important non-work-related jobs to get done. Work is going well so far, I'll get to the rest later!

Have opened a FD RS, so will be bunging my buffer fund in there £300 at a time for the next year. Just waiting for the switch, which should happen today and then my Expedia voucher should start winging its way to me We'll be using this to book accommodation for our Christmas markets trip (flights already booked).

MS things:
    * Used up some naff veggie sausages in risotto last night
    * MS rw, VB poll
    * FD regular saver opened
    * NV survey done
    * £1900 tax rebate due - which is good as my calcs didn't seem to be giving me much to put in my pension/LISA/S&S ISA

Gratitudes:
    * Computers - for enabling all this money saving to be done without moving
    * My car - got to send the PS3 today and it's too heavy to carry to drop off point from home
    * The dishwasher - it may have been a bit rubbish lately, but first world problems!

Have a good afternoon all.... I may catch some zzzzzzs
    x
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 21st Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Have just seen that I won't be getting the cashback I'm due from a retailer on £co as they're no longer listed on the site!

SBs done....
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 28th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

Where did that week go? I'm not sure....

Everything continues as normal though. My FD switch has completed so will soon be able to book accommodation for our December break. I did get the cashback for my holiday - so when that arrives in the account it'll go straight in the savings, which is where I've just transferred my winnings too.

We spent the weekend (Sat and Mon, it rained all of Sun) replacing the garage roof. We're now both exhausted and achy, but the roof is watertight if not quite finished. It's cost us ~£200, so a massive saving on paying someone to do it. I cooked up a massive batch of daal and rice on Friday night and we ate this for lunches and one dinner over the weekend - it meant we didn't have to think about food and there was always something on hand - a plan I will use again when doing DIY projects.

We're off to our neighbour's for dinner tonight, which should be lovely. It's a pity we're both so tired as I think I'd rather be asleep, but hopefully it won't be a late night.

I've started on presents for Christmas (I know, I apologise for swearing, *especially* as it's only August!). The plan involves buying some bits from charity shops and knitting other items, so I *need* to start now or it'll never happen! I already had the wool, so glad to be using it and the charity shop items should cut the cost of the 'gifty' presents in half if not more, so very pleased with these bits.

MS things:
    * Repaired a small hole in a t-shirt of DH's (thanks YT)
    * Blanched and froze gifted french and runner beans
    * Cheap meals all weekend
    * Ebay sales, various, netting a small profit

Gratitudes:
    * FIL and my Dad for their help (sometimes back-breaking) with the garage roof
    * Our neighbour for her continued kindness and friendship
    * DH for being as frugal as me, even though he's had to do much of the hard work

Will try to post more this week, but I can definitely tell that the summer is coming to an end in terms of volume of work!

Have a good evening all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

2,384Users online

Martin's Twitter