Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,769Posts
    • 10,241Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you!!!8217;re all so friendly and positive that it!!!8217;s an inspiring place to !!!8216;hang out!!!8217;), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It!!!8217;s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of £132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There!!!8217;s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won!!!8217;t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we!!!8217;re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents!!!8230;tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don!!!8217;t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won!!!8217;t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I!!!8217;m hoping he!!!8217;ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We!!!8217;re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long !!!8211; we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I!!!8217;m paying the energy bills we!!!8217;ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we!!!8217;re back from our honeymoon, I!!!8217;ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn!!!8217;t our forever home and one day we!!!8217;d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future!!!8230;
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 62
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Jun 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Jimmy! It has been good though!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £1345.52
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jun 2018: £92,000
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Jun 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Long jobs list to do today, but I've made a good start on it so far. Need to buy some bits for dinner tomorrow with friends, prep JM's 9p burgers for tonight (using up the remaining kidney beans in the fridge) and some more gardening.

Have done various bits of work already and posted the last of my RM survey stuff (not had the pack for next week yet... hope it comes tomorrow). Have made a couple of decisions to get rid of some bits and so need to get them listed on EBay or FB over the weekend.

MS things:
    * YG survey
    * SBs spins (still waiting on a survey before I can claim swago points), MS rw; no VB poll yet
    * PA surveys x 2

Gratitudes:
    * Cuddly kitties
    * A magnum at Dad's for pud
    * The last of the strawbs and general fruity abundance in the garden, despite much negligence!

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Jun 18, 10:26 AM
    • 29,423 Posts
    • 168,815 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your kitties are cuddly even in this heat? Clever kitties! Sounds like you've got things well in hand, have a good one, madvix
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Jun 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Yes, remarkably they both still love a cuddle.... weird creatures!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 29th Jun 18, 1:28 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi Madvix,

Just catching up on your diary, it sounds like you have had a wonderful holiday and happy belated anniversary to you and dh.

Glad to hear Nan is doing ok in her new home, good luck with sorting out her house.

Enjoy your barbecue tomorrow
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage July 2018 £86,799.56
    £1801.60/£2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 3rd Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all!

Thanks Crumpets - we did have a lovely barbecue, it had been too long since we had seen those particular friends! I did have a bit of a sore head on Sunday

I intended to catch up yesterday but the day was thrown out of kilter when I had a call asking me to pick Dad up from work as he'd bashed his head. So between collecting him, dropping him at A&E (fortunately not far from us) and returning him home, my day was somewhat derailed. He is fine though, which is the important thing.

I've done invoicing and money shuffles and need to update my signature - we now have £1280 in our moving savings pot (mainly DH's contribution, but some from me and the various dribs and drabs from interest etc.). I've realised that Tosco kindly cancelled my DDs to my savings accounts, which explains why I'm not getting my Hali rewards anymore. I'm not impressed. I feel a switch to FD may be on the cards, which will conveniently fund our Christmas markets accommodation this year Not sure whether I need to leave it a bit longer as Hali might want their switch incentive money back - any thoughts on this?

DH and I have a Whatsapp group to record our spending this month. I'm hopeless at spending diaries, so hoping that this will be simple enough that I'll actually remember to do it. DH has done all the spending so far! (Not that there's a lot). When I filled my car up when we got back from holiday I optimistically thought I might get through until my next cc statement (23rd) without filling up. How wrong I was... I'd forgotten various trips and then driving Dad around yesterday and this morning (taking him back to work, as his car was there), I'm down to half a tank already! (He did offer me money, but I know he wouldn't take it if the role was reversed, so I declined.)

MS things:
    * Food all from stores. DH is trying overnight oats to see if he can find a version he likes - cheaper than current cereal. Not a lot of luck so far though!
    * Have been manically saving water (empty ice cream tub in sink) to water plants - it's the small things, right?
    * Sbs, VB, MS rw
    * DH sorted an error on my business accounts last night, so I'm all set to do tax return
    * £50 win on PBs Haven't won anything for ages, so very pleased with this!

Gratitudes:
    * Dad is okay
    * Very easy work today
    * Enjoyed my lunch in the garden

Have a good afternoon, I'd better get back to the grindstone...
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    • 11,180 Posts
    • 59,984 Thanks
    edinburgher
    TMV - if planning the switch to FD - I hope you have the details of every aspect of your financial life to hand, have never had the temerity to move house and know the maiden name of your grandmother's corgi!

I know everyone raves about them, but I am a bit sour after spending 75 minutes on the 'phone to them for a "computer says no" a couple of years ago. I only wanted the blimmin' account for savings!

Well done on the affordable BBQ - we attended one last week (not even the hosts) and spent £40 on carbs, crisps, drinks and HM salads and dips)! I think I'll go down your route when we're hosting next (so salads, veggie kebabs, chargrilled veggies etc.) I find it a little difficult because a) our friends have unadventurous tastes and b) the concept of higher welfare meat has passed them by, so heaven is a luminous pack of inflated chicken breasts

Baking potatoes in tin foil with a bit of butter and garlic is another lovely cheap one and I suspect that sweet potatoes would be just as good (and healthier)?
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks for the heads up Ed I'd quite like a regular saver with them, so it's probably worth the effort (whereas it might not be for the Expedia voucher, but then I do love a free trip).

That's a great tip about the potatoes - I never remember to wrap things in foil and cook them on there. Might try that this weekend as we have a different set of friends around (fortunately she's pregnant, so less wine will be consumed!). It wasn't particularly cheap in the end, but probably still cheaper than a meat fest. It didn't seem like much less work either, but then I suppose the plastic-free thing causes me those problems - hm everything! The salads were nice though and fed us the following day too.
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all (just),

Not a lot to report here, but plenty of work happening. Frugalwoods UFM emails are interesting, although not yet earth-shattering. They have prompted me to post a couple of wanteds on Freegle that would save us £25+ if we got what we needed. We'll see what happens. I offer a lot of stuff on there, so feel entirely justified in asking for stuff. I am doing the actions/participating fully, which must yield some results though, right?

Spending diary is working. Although major fail to report - DH had to buy lunch yesterday as he was at a meeting in London that finished at 1 and didn't fancy carrying unchilled lunch around with him (we'd considered various options, but no solution came to us and we thought the company he was meeting might have fed him but no such luck). He bought a pasty (£4.49!).... it was only this morning that I metaphorically kicked us both when I remembered we have credit on the Star$ account We'll remember for next time!

MS things:
    * DH away tonight so dinner/breakfast/lunch tomorrow on work
    * I'm eating at Mum's (will ask if there's anything I can take)
    * SBs survey bonus has been added to my account (thanks MSE) - 410 bucks up, so have enough for a £10 voucher
    * M&S sale due - need some underwear, so will use voucher from insurance too, waiting till sale though!

Gratitudes:
    * Loved the pic of niece sister sent yesterday - they are away and she went on her first 'rollercoaster' (I think merry-go-round may have been more accurate!) - she obviously didn't understand when they asked her if she wanted to do it - spent the whole time saying 'No, no, no....' Not impressed, but not upset!
    * Great last evening class last night and just two of us, so really good learning opportunity
    * Cake at evening class made by teacher - delicious!

Enjoy the afternoon folks!

ETA: One item already acquired from Freegle!
    Last edited by themadvix; 04-07-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi MV,

Great news on getting things on freegle I often give away on there but forget to ask - it's always worth a try.

Can I ask what frugalwoods is? Sounds like it might be interesting to me? I'm always on the lookout for new things to read and inspire me

Glad your dad is okay after his bump to the head
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage July 2018 £86,799.56
    £1801.60/£2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Jul 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi Crumpets, Frugalwoods is a PF blog - I definitely think you'd like it
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 5th Jul 18, 7:30 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Morning MadVix all sounds good here. I am finding the spending diary really helpful in focusing our minds about what we spend our money on. The WhatsApp approach is a great idea because Mr Mee "forgets" to tell me what he has spent...and then I open up the credit card account to a bit of a shock.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 5th Jul 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning Busy Mee. Yes, hopefully the Whatsapp will keep me on the straight and narrow - I always begin with good intentions and then lose my 'diary' (random sheet of paper!) or don't have it with me and forget to update. Whereas, I always have my phone on me and this works for both of us in terms of access.
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 5th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

An early update from me this morning as I want to go out later but it relies on me clearing the work off my desk first. Have already been to the post box with today's RM survey offering.

Had a lovely evening at Mum's yesterday and helped her with some gardening, so feel I earnt my dinner

MS things:
    * Free (fish and chip) dinner tonight for helping Dad with a quiz night
    * DH has instructions to use up last of the passata in the fridge
    * SBs, MS rw, VB poll

Gratitudes:
    * Dinner with mum last night
    * Sunshine
    * Breakfast in the garden (a part of my daily routine at the moment)

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Jul 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

It's been a busy few days, but fortunately not too spendy. Went to a BBQ for my sister's birthday on Saturday (took homemade cheesecake, with a hg redcurrant compote - mmm) and had friends over for a BBQ on Sunday (yes, all BBQ'd out!). Did the same menu as the week before, which meant I used some leftovers (spring onions, not rice salad!) and as before, minimised meat to keep the price down. Cheapy greengrocers helped too and I visited Mr A for other bits (not my normal place as everything is plastic wrapped and rarely organic, but as most of what I needed would be plasticky anyway, it seemed that it might be cheaper - not entirely convinced on this front).

The milkman randomly delivered 3 pints on Friday, instead of the one ordered (and paid for) - so last night I had a go at making yoghurt (it's been on my to-do list forever!). I followed Greying's recipe (more or less, no thermos big enough, so just chucked a muslin on a jug and shoved it in the airing cupboard - probably unnecessary in this heat ) and it seems to have worked! It's chilling in the fridge at the moment, all thick and gooey.

I used a £45 M&S voucher from pet insurance switch and my myice points (thanks ) to cover the cost of some much needed clothes for me and a gift card for my sister for her birthday. £9 actual cash spent. Also used a £co £2.50 football offer thing when buying expensive cards from the orbital swine - still flippin' expensive though! (But it was a special birthday and the present itself definitely lacked imagination!).

Received (but didn't realise it at the time) a £10 voucher for Am as a thank you for doing the quiz with Dad the other night

MS things:
    * The above!
    * £55.90 (PB win and Santa incentive) transferred to savings
    * SBs - survey and Swago, doing well here at the moment
    * VB and MS rws
    * Eating leftovers
    * DH persevering with overnight oats, I'm sticking with porridge!

UFM continues, although with all the entertaining I've yet to get to the point where I can make an inventory of the cupboards and actually see our way to 'eating all the things'.

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely time with family on Saturday
    * Niece's paddling pool - so refreshing!
    * Great to see friends, last chance before 2 become 3! (She's due in 9 days)

Have a good day all, I'm hoping to catch the flypast later!
    Last edited by themadvix; 10-07-2018 at 9:16 AM.
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 10th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 11,180 Posts
    • 59,984 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Orbital swine?
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 10th Jul 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 23,146 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Glad you have enjoyed lots of bbqs too!
    Well done on the mands shopping for £9 - bargain.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 1.2 /2k 5k Travel budget 0/5k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 11th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

Another hectic day here - loads of work, looming deadlines (although now postponed, nothing to do with me) and driving Dad to work (his car is in the garage, best not to ask about the courtesy car fiasco!). Hoping he'll get a car delivered to work so I don't have to pick him up. He has said he'll give me some fuel money and I'll accept this time... I've been to his place of work 4 times in the last 10 days, often via his, which is an hour and a half round trip!

DH has gone off to visit a work supplier, so he's being fed elsewhere. I've got a rather large selection of leftovers that don't really go (and still loads of milk - acquired half a pint from BIL, who has gone away). Hmm, that will be an interesting tea with the footie.

Mum and I had a great time watching the flypast yesterday - we weren't right under the flight path but the helicopters took off very near us, so got some great views of them! We meandered back home via a cafe in a pretty little town (mum paid and drove, I made it clear we didn't need to eat out and did at least find the cheaper place to eat!). Only cost to me was for parking Did buy a couple of bits for dinner and some muesli for DH, but only spent £3.

I did book us for an evening with our veg box company later in the month though - £30 for both of us for dinner (inc. a glass of wine). This will come out of our treat fund. In terms of UFM and the justification for 'debiting against our future freedom', it's something I feel I would want to do in that respect and may also have knock-on benefits for the future, so a worthwhile investment. UFM is certainly making me think!

MS things:
    * Still eating leftovers/stores (and expect this to continue for the rest of the month)
    * DH very much on board with UFM
    * SBs going well, VB and MS rw done

Gratitudes:
    * Great time with Mum yesterday
    * Evening class has broken up, so freedom last night (it's amazing what a difference one less thing in an evening makes)
    * It's a bit cooler

Back to the grindstone now, but will try to catch up with everyone else later!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 23,146 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I can't do the UFM this time but I have the emails stored so I might do it another month. Like the focus on simplifying things but not totally convinced with all of the ideas. Glad it's making you think.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 1.2 /2k 5k Travel budget 0/5k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jul 18, 8:51 PM
    • 29,423 Posts
    • 168,815 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I just watched the fly past on the tv, and that was amazing enough - how wonderful to see one set live! Was that one set of helicopters, or all of them? Helicopters are fascinating
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,788Posts Today

8,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin