Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,861Posts
    • 10,739Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of 132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 53
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 23,576 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Just catching up after hours hols, all sounds great.

Arghh to plastic in t bags -really?

Off to research!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel budget 2384/5k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi EG, will pop over and see if you've had a good holiday in a sec... Yes, they use plastic to seal the bags - if you ever home compost them you have to pick the bits out I think. But, public pressure has led to the Coop announcing that they'll be removing plastic from theirs asap and eventually PG Tips caved too (took more pressure). Not sure about the others, suspect they're all quietly doing the same. The revolution has begun (I can't explain how happy I am not to be being looked at as if I have two heads when I ask about plastic now!)

Have placed a cheeky bet on the National - with the money we leave in the bookies account every year for this occasion. Fingers crossed! Last year I won, so I doubt I'll be that lucky again twice in a row, although we do quite often do well for some reason It's the only gambling I ever do.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Apr 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 23,576 Thanks
    earthgirl
    How did you get on?
    Do I know another millionaire?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel budget 2384/5k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Haha, no, not a penny today! :roftl:

But a smaller win.... just made pearl barley and broad bean risotto and it was delicious and as we get the beans in the veg box from time to time and aren't really keen, we'll do that again.

A couple of PA surveys in the bag too.

Just drinking the first of the newest batch of beer (it's a test one, we'll bottle the rest tomorrow and leave it to mature) - pretty good Oh the temptation to go into business!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 15th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,826 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi MV,

Just catching up, how is your spinach looking? mine are in the greenhouse at the moment and are still alive which is great.

That's fantastic news about T-bags, I hadn't heard about that. We switched to loose tea a while ago but I do prefer T-bags as it's just easier.

Risotto and beer both sound lovely
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage Aug 2018 86,030.76
    1877.98/2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi Crumpets

The spinach plants I've got are literally four tiny leaves each at the moment, so really can't say they're doing well... just doing!

I think I'll probably buy tea bags for when we go away etc., but loose tea is just fine at home (now everyone's been warned not to drink to the bottom!)
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

I'm feeling very domestic goddess today as I turned a shirt collar on one of DH's favourite shirts yesterday and it looked great. This is way beyond my normal sewing ability (which is usually start something, get stuck and not finish it for *ahem* years) and it was quick and simple so I am very happy. Also bleaching/dyeing another of DH's shirts (it's got sun cream stains on it), so another MSE win there if it works (had it soaking in ecover bleach yesterday and that doesn't seem to have done the trick, so decision about whether to try proper bleach or some Dylon is pending).

I have a huge to-do list of jobs today, which I intend to get through as far as possible. No work as yet (Mondays are often quiet as the Americans don't wake up till late!). May see Mum and Niece later, but only if they come up this way.

Taking cats to vets at lunchtime, so it definitely won't be a NSD - the hissing by one has reached epic proportions, so I would like to get them both checked over.

We went to an escape room last night - we'd done two at this venue before with BIL and GF, so this was his birthday present. It was great fun and we did manage to get an offer on the booking, so his part came in on present budget. Ours will come out of treat fund. We were very virtuous though and rather than eat out afterwards came home for tea - we didn't give the spendthrifts the choice as we were driving! I did offer them dinner, but GF turned her nose up at the involvement of spinach!

MS things:
    * PA surveys
    * SBs, VB, MS rewards
    * Washing on line
    * In a bit of a reorganise yesterday we unearthed some bits for boot sale (more?!!) and Ebay

Gratitudes:
    * We escaped the escape room - there were times when I was feeling very stupid and didn't think we would!
    * Fish finger sandwich (*with ketchup!* ) for tea as we were starving, despite a cooked lunch (oops)
    * Stopped briefly on way to escape room and discovered Ongar railway station - a proper old-fashioned steam railway and very pretty station building.

Happy Monday everyone!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,457 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Escape room sounds fun! And fish finger sarnies with ketchup sounds fantastic, even for me as a veggie, slurp ...

The work on DH's shirts is definitely the stuff of domestic goddessnessness ... I am in awe. I'd stare helplessly and hand them to my sister

Rock on
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    That's more my normal reaction to sewing problems - hand them to MIL! But this seemed straightforward enough to manage and I think anyone else might have said 'just buy a new shirt'! (My Nan would very much appreciate this, so I rang Mum to get her to tell her (Sunday is Nan day) - not sure what Nan made of it (she's very not with it at the moment), but uncle was apparently very impressed and wants to send his my way! )

Escape rooms are fun! And they get you thinking laterally
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Very busy with life admin stuff at the moment, so just a quick check in. Saw two care homes with Mum yesterday and visiting another this morning. The information turned my brain to mush yesterday! Having lunch with friends today (the Turkish place we'd postponed from ages ago) and it's MIL's birthday so popping to see her after DH finishes work. Other jobs to fit in between

MS things:
    * SBs, MS rewards and VB (inc 1 survey)
    * Work has been quiet (thankfully as I am getting a lot of stuff done), but have fitted the bits I've had in around my 'excursions'!
    * Bargainous top-up shop in Aldi yesterday

Gratitudes:
    * Evening class went better than expected, despite mushy brain
    * Time for a quick walk with DH last night - helped clear my head
    * Crumble with first of the year's rhubarb

We're off at the weekend for a night and I'm now wondering exactly when I'm going to think about/pack for that! I think this may be a familiar theme over the next month as it's quite booked up!

Have a good day all - enjoy the sunshine!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,457 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Such a difficult decision about care homes! I presume thats for your nan? I never took part in that decision, there's a top-rated one so near to where people were, it just made sense to go with that. Not to say that my nan wasn't almost evicted a few times, for smoking in bed

Enjoy your day, and enjoy your weekend
    Retired August 2016
    • newbietech
    • By newbietech 18th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    newbietech
    Congratulations on your home! Get the excel sheet out
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi KC, yes, for my Nan. She's got dementia and really is beginning to struggle at home. No idea how we'll actually physically get her out of her house - she only very rarely wants to go out for a meal on a Sunday with Mum and Uncle now and there's no way she'll willingly leave her home But it's not safe for her to be there on her own any more.

The most expensive one is winning at the moment and Mum's running out of options. At least Nan can afford it and she'd be comfortable there.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Evening all,

Have run out of energy today. The motorway was closed last night and it delayed DH and I getting home until about 9pm. We did go and see his mum for her birthday but we would like to have been home quite a bit earlier than we were.

I had to be up and ready at 7 this morning for the oven engineer.... what joy! Hopefully oven is properly fixed this time. Have done some work but spent a lot of the day doing volunteering stuff - some for which my efforts are appreciated and some less so, so I'm not feeling particularly enthused this evening!

MS things:
    * Today was a NSD
    * Hm pizza for tea
    * 100 Nw switch money has been paid to both of us
    * VB survey, poll; SBs; MS rewards
    * NV/YG surveys
    * More washing done and line dried (it's that time of year when everything gets a freshen up!)

Gratitudes:
    * My Mum, for listening to me moan and rant about volunteering stuff
    * My friend, who was very appreciative of the help I gave her this afternoon
    * DH for telling me to put my foot down and say enough's enough about some of the stuff

Have a good evening all Enjoy the sunshine!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 18, 9:07 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,457 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Awwww! Your family sounds great! I'm glad for you that the money's there so that you can find a home that your mum's happy with, for your nan.

Great to hear that you've got the Nw money - my Regular Savers have finished now, so when the interest is also transferred to my accounts, I'll be doing the same
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 20th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Karma - family are pretty close knit and we all get on fairly well (even my Dad - he lost his mum at 18, so Nan has been 'mum' to him forever). It makes it awkward at times (especially when Nan forgets that he was married to mum and asks where his wife is etc.!), but we cope.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 20th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

I am relishing a quiet morning at home in the cool, getting on with some work. It's been a very hectic week one way and another, and I seem to have spent a lot of time sweltering in the car in traffic. I do have a Brownie planning meeting later and then Brownies, but for now it's me, work, the cats and some bread proving in the kitchen - bliss! (I'm ignoring the packing I need to do, the fact I haven't cut the grass (hoping DH might do it this evening when it's cooler) and the printing I need to do for Brownies!).

Looking forward to our weekend away - it's sorely needed after a stressful week for both of us. We'll be taking lunch for tomorrow (hence the baking) and some snacks, but expect dinner will be bought tomorrow night as we're in a hotel. Breakfast is included on Sunday, so will be filling up at that, so only a light lunch needed then. Planning to do lots of walking, so activities will be free (apart from maybe a drink in a pub garden!).

MS things:
    * Spreading the joy of survey sites to my Mum who needs to up her pension income but doesn't want a 'proper' job! Hopefully get 500 SBs from referring her, but mainly want her to find the benefits for herself (and not particularly from Sbs!)
    * SBs, VB, Ms rewards all done this morning (whilst on phone to Mum) - have a good routine going there
    * Baking to take away with us
    * Work
    * Watered the plants/spaces where I've planted seeds!
    * Saving on cat care with new neighbours (BIL and GF) looking after them - fingers crossed all goes okay!

Gratitudes:
    * Peaceful morning today It feels really good for the soul
    * Lovely weather all week and continues for our trip
    * Making a couple of changes to volunteering that will make life easier
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,457 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You must be away by now madvix, have a lovely weekend.
    Retired August 2016
    • try harder
    • By try harder 21st Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    try harder
    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend themadvix
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Karma and Try Harder! We had a wonderful weekend! (I must get my account logged in on my phone - don't know the password since it changed then I could reply to your lovely posts when I see them!)

Glorious weather, beautiful countryside, loads of walking, the first ice cream of the year and spring everywhere! It took DH a while to relax, but yesterday we had a wonderful time (not to say that Saturday wasn't). Took lunch on Saturday, so ice cream and dinner at the hotel we were staying (42) were our only expenses (even parked for free all day). Being the cheapskate I was, breakfast wasn't included, but we went to a wetherspoons nearby instead of paying hotel prices. And that kept us filled up until we got home, so only spends yesterday were 5 on a couple of drinks. A bargainous but very enjoyable weekend. Cat care from BIL and GF also seemed to work well, so 20 saved there (less a couple of beers).

We've got a night away camping in May, so am already planning how to make the most of it. (And planning a short camping trip in August )

Plenty of work to get back into today, so have been cracking on with that. Have three loads of washing done too, but stopped there as the council are digging up the road and I didn't want dusty washing! Chocolate brownie in the oven as we were out of snackage (hideously calorific, but using up the dark chocolate egg that my Dad insists on buying me every Easter - not sure how to tell him I'd prefer milk).

MS things:
    * MS rewards, SBs and VB poll done
    * NV survey for 1.25
    * S&S and FOTG submitted on time
    * Remembered to get hm loaf out of freezer in time for lunch today
    * Mac & cheese (Jamie's America) for dinner tonight - got cancelled from last week's meal plan

Gratitudes:
    * Wonderful time away with DH
    * Saw deer and a SNAKE - initially thought it was an adder, but looking it up, it seems probably not - still made my day though!
    * First ice cream of the year - so late though!

Have a lovely afternoon all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin