Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,717Posts
    • 10,010Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you!!!8217;re all so friendly and positive that it!!!8217;s an inspiring place to !!!8216;hang out!!!8217;), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It!!!8217;s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of 132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There!!!8217;s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won!!!8217;t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we!!!8217;re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents!!!8230;tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don!!!8217;t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won!!!8217;t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I!!!8217;m hoping he!!!8217;ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We!!!8217;re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long !!!8211; we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I!!!8217;m paying the energy bills we!!!8217;ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we!!!8217;re back from our honeymoon, I!!!8217;ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn!!!8217;t our forever home and one day we!!!8217;d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future!!!8230;
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 47
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 5th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hope you are feeling a bit better Mad Vix. The weather hasn't helped, I think everyone is suffering from cabin fever. I hope you had a nice trip out today x
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning (just, maybe) all!

Thanks KC and Charly - much appreciated. The day improved and had a good afternoon/evening. DH took me out for dinner (it was supposed to be date night last Thursday but we weren't bothered then). It was only 23 at the Harvester, so not breaking the bank (shockingly that was the full price - no vouchers available!!). Feeling much more like myself today but seem to have a million and one things to do between now and Friday on top of plenty of work.

One way and another yesterday was quite spendy - bus and train fare, cuppa for friend and I, chocolate egg (*ahem*).... But this was offset by paying in ~60 worth of cheques from the Brownies into my account - some of which have already been paid off my cc/I used Am vouchers to pay for in the first place (net result, up on cash!). I'll transfer this back into savings - so actual amount I've taken out this month will only be about 150.

MS things:
    * Scooping up Santa and TSB rewards
    * Rang L&G about home insurance and they can't reduce the quote... It's gone up by 25 for no reason since last year. I'm not happy about this, but the cheapest quote is only about 8 less and has the hassle of switching etc. Not sure what to do - runs out on Friday!
    * Bread made for the week
    * MS rewards, SBs, YG survey, PA survey
    * No sign of FB purchaser (not that he committed after initial conversation)

(Sneaking in a NY resolution - podcast listened to!)

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely food last night and quality time with DH
    * Fresh bread for lunch
    * New workspace (in one of the newly decorated bedrooms) is much warmer than downstairs!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jun 2018: 92,000
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 6th Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    I'm sure you've already thought of this, but if there are no discounts to be had from L&G and the next cheapest quote is only 8 less, have you factored in the cashback you could get if you get insurance through TopCashBack?

Glad you had a nice date night with DH last night, sounds like you really needed it x
    Savings: Aim 13.5k. Dec 2016 1,700 / Feb 2018 12,350
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -216,000 / Mar 2018 -191,390
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -136,000/ Feb 2018 -123,400
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -4,500 / Feb 2018 -3,368.27
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -48,185.82 / Mar 2018 -30,065.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -18,275.04 / April 2017 -14,003.85
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Charly.... no cashback to be had I'm afraid! Have already checked
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 6th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,596 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    I'd switch. I have the opinion that if they are so dearer and have put it up by 25 for no reason (not sure on what opercentage increase this is, but i bet its at least double inflation) then they don't deserve your business!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 39//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 42,061.17
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Current: 93,938.84 // Avg Daily Interest 4.22
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of 41,000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Sorry BusyMee - I hadn't spotted your comment up there Thanks for your kind words.

Jimmy - I think I agree with you, but time is now a big factor as I have an insane amount of work (and complicated Brownie prep) to get through before Friday. I might try and farm this out to DH, but as I usually do it, it'll probably take me less time, if I can find any to start with it!

Belated afternoon all!

Ridiculous amounts of work (I'm not complaining!), so it'll be a quick update. New oven has started making clanking noises (think the fan needs tightening), so have booked engineer for Saturday (v. impressed as it's IKEA and I was a bit dubious about quality of aftersales care - so far, so good!).

There's a hoo-hah happening about BIL's wedding in September - all good fun, but potentially going to be expensive!

Was feeling more in control of my to-do list until I checked my email this morning - lots of work arrived overnight, and once I'd got my head around that a UK-based client asked me to do something else (fairly major!). Fortunately the main thing I wanted to get done today was another project for her, so we've renegotiated the deadline for that, but even so, so much work! As I'll invoice this financial year though (my accounts run 6/4 to 5/4) this will substantially improve my EOY figures which will have the effect of helping when it comes to mortgage time (SE people have to show 3 yrs accounts, not just 3 months payslips!).

Other things:
    * Podcast this morning
    * MS rewards, VB poll
    * Hm pizza for tea tonight
    * Sunshine
    * May have scoffed the small box of mini eggs I bought yesterday!

Have a good afternoon all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 7th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Mini eggs are the fuel of champions and it certainly sounded like you needed them today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Brilliant about the work - and as for renegotiating the timetable, I bet that client is really impressed that you're on top of it all enough to do that.

Chomping on mini eggs is sort of required when things are that busy
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Haha, not sure about that KC - fortunately she opened with 'I'm still catching up because of the snow' (she has two children, so snow days mean no working), so it was an excuse to make it clear that I'd need a bit longer than she hoped for all the work!

Yes, mini eggs were definitely necessary. I hope you're taking it veeeeery easy today.

Work is a bit more under control now, but of course that could all change again at short notice! Am working my way through my to-do list as well so feeling a bit less stressed. Have also reworked to-do list so it's in order of priority - it makes it much easier to see what I *need* to get done.

MS bits:
    * TCB tracked for Brownie purchases
    * 4.40 claimed from TCB
    * MS rewards done
    * Work, work, work

* Listened to podcast again - two days in a row. And kitty playtime last night too. Exercise is shockingly bad, but I am trying to get up when my fitbit buzzes and do 250 steps.

Gratitudes:
    * Lots of work
    * Lovely house is much easier to keep tidy now it's finished.
    * Evening with Dad tonight working on questions for an upcoming quiz night in aid of the Guide hut

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • try harder
    • By try harder 8th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    try harder
    All sounding very positive themadvix but dont work too hard .Enjoy your evening with your dad .
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    House insurance renewed.... the alternative didn't have garage cover.... definitely needed here! It's still 120 'under budget' (it's never been anywhere near that much but that's how much I put away), so a good deal. Sadly I think we OP'd the difference at the weekend so probably can't take any money from it to top up my savings

At least it's a job done and ticked off the list!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all!

Yesterday was almost a NSD and then Dad suggested fish and chips and sent me for it. He gave me most of the money back (his choice), but I wasn't going to fuss about the last 3. Today is definitely not a NSD though. I worked in Costa for a couple of hours this morning after dropping DH off at the station (as I need the car) - 5 spent there, but it did allow me to concentrate on work and not get distracted by the to-do list at home. Have also bought meat for Sunday when in-laws are coming. I didn't want to get a joint in case the engineer can't fix the fan and we have to use the non-fan option as that would throw the times out (and I'm not sure how good it is anyway). So my tame butcher talked me into some very un-MSE beef Wellingtons - 20 for 3!! However, it's a rare treat for DH and I think there'll definitely be some left from his mum's one, so he can have the leftovers.

Finally feeling like I'm no longer chasing my tail with all the Brownie stuff and work too. Will be glad when tonight's over though as I'll be off out shortly and won't get back till 8.30, having been to a million places and then run Brownies as the leader in charge (other leader is away tonight). Sometimes I try and fit too much in and then regret it. Problem is, other things have been loaded onto me too (unavoidable things - I did say no to something else!).

Enough waffle about Brownies....

MS things:
    * MS rewards, SB (singular!), VB poll
    * DH had a usey-up dinner last night
    * Cashback has tracked on Brownie purchase

Gratitudes:
    * Good night's sleep last night (first in a while) - helped with facing today!
    * Pan au raisin and friendly staff in Costa this morning
    * It's Friday!

Got to add.... was horrified at the number of mums and primary school aged children in Costa at 8.15-8.30 this morning. All the kids had little takeaway hot drink cups - I pity their teachers, even hot choc has caffeine in it! And what does it teach them about environmentalism, how to cook for themselves or the value of money. I literally couldn't believe it..... What is the world coming to?!!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hope its all gone well, madvix, thats one busy day.

I'm surprised as you are about mums and kids in Costa! Good grief. I wonder if its an Americanism thats caught up to us... I stayed with a scientist friend in Florida back in the mid 90s, and she was very clear to me that the only "food" she kept in the house was teabags, literally nothing else except that and catfood (um, for the cat!). For absolutely everything else, she had takeout, delivery or a restaurant meal. Or the canteen, since she worked at a huge place there. Astonishing.
    Retired August 2016
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 9th Mar 18, 11:45 PM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 43,771 Thanks
    newgirly
    That might help with my snacking all the time karmacat, not as easy as popping to the fridge
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/13,632 paid so far

Mortgage 36,319 4yrs left. Total owed 48,358 plan to clear in 14 months
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 7,109 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    This is one of the things I love about this forum. It really opens your eyes

I am amazed at both the Costa and Florida tales
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 109,650 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Where my office was based in the UK was prime yummy mummy territory. I'd sometimes take one or two of my team out for coffee to discuss stuff and we'd often struggle to get a seat in one of the many cafes. Full of either yummy mummies or nannies enjoying themselves while daddy earned the money as an investment banker or similar. Of course, the town also had prime charity shopping
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 10th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 22,651 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Wow you sound so busy! Glad that you said no to more commitments too.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mtg 1 (220k) Dec 13 - 116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - 94, 402 (22,106 offset 2014) Jan 16 - 67, 852 (26,550 offset 2015) Dec 16 - 33,529 ( 34,323offset 2016)
    Jan 17 - 39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 22,619 Jan 18 - 11,687Mar 18 -8524 June 18 - - 2,205
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hey all,

So glad it wasn't just me who was horrified about the children in Costa! (I got notification of Karma's post, but then none of the others - have only just checked in and seen all your other responses ). The Florida story is shocking Karma, but doesn't surprise me. I think there seems to be a tendency that way in this country (apart from among us MFWers!). The stats about how much people eat out always amaze me - I consider that we eat out quite a bit (certainly compared to some on here), but it's well below average and never just because we can't be bothered with making lunch (sometimes dinner, I'll grant). Lots of yummy mummies around here GG - I've had that problem too when trying to find a seat to work in - they seem to drop the kids off and then retreat en masse to the coffee shop! My mum did wonder if it was a Friday treat, but I couldn't justify even a Friday treat every week for children of that age, especially not the caffeine before school.

Friday was a really busy day, but I'm rather pleased that I got everything done (except one thing, which I remedied on Sunday morning). Brownies made bath salts for their mums in baby food jars , wrapped up and with a card and they looked great. I was really pleased. It was manic though

Saturday was pretty busy too - DH has got my car sorted and I've booked an MOT for Thursday (27 + 2 cashback ) I got lots of housework done and bread and snacks baked for the week. Collapsed in a heap for a nap in the afternoon! Yesterday I had church parade (1 Brownie turned up! ) and came back to a roast dinner and hm cheesecake cooked by DH, and his parents arrived shortly after me. It was lovely. Saw my mum and family in the afternoon, so everyone was happy.

Work continues apace, so concentrating on getting through that this week. Some cheques have cleared, so have transferred 50 of Brownie expenses + cashback to savings Milkman delivered cancelled delivery last week and I forgot to cancel today's so we're swimming in milk. Weds delivery and veg box cancelled as we also have loads of food in. Need to make a meal plan as stuff needs using up and we've got a 50% off voucher for takeaway that needs using today and it would be rude not to (I have my doubts about this but I'd mentioned it and now DH is looking forward to Chinese!). Should be able to balance it all and not waste anything though.

MS things:
    * MS rewards, VB poll and surveys
    * 26 PA payment on its way
    * Need some bits from Natural Collection - 99p delivery ends tomorrow, so need to do that
    * DH and I have a 'date' to list stuff on Ebay tonight - max 1 FVF offer expires at midnight
    * 50% off takeaway

Gratitudes:
    * The one Brownie!
    * Lovely meal cooked by DH (and he did most of the clearing up too!)
    * Nice time with families

Have a good afternoon all
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

The never ending work continues Although I need to have words with one client who has changed the deadline on a substantial piece of work from Tues (20th) to this Fri! That's unlikely to happen!

Evening class tonight, although as it's getting lighter in the evenings, I'd rather be out! We'll go for a quick walk tonight when DH gets home. We had takeaway last night, so leftovers tonight for tea (with some extra rice). Managed to get ebay listings done, and something has a bid on it already. Also used the discounted postage to order what I needed from natural collection.

MS things:
    * VB poll done - 16.89 paid out last night; MS rewards; paltry 1 SB collected
    * Ebay listings
    * Vouchers used
    * Nw donor account is ready to switch (i.e. the DDs came out as they should), so will be completing the Hfx switch shortly.
    * DH's DDs came out of his TSB a/c so have requested the recommendation code from Nw so we can get the incentive there. He's realised he probably needs to withdraw all the money from the bookies (it was his MB a/c) before switching otherwise they'll get funny about it. (Potentially more OP money! ). Haven't received the email from Nationwide - has anyone else done this, is it instant or should I expect to wait?

Gratitudes:
    * Sunshine today, after constant rain yesterday
    * Fidgety kitty cuddles as I type!
    * Cheesecake still to eat (did I mention that the coulis for it is made from our frozen hg redcurrants? I've found a delicious use for them!)

Have a good afternoon all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Very sad news about Stephen Hawking - the world will be poorer without him, but he achieved so much as is such an inspiration to us to never give up and to always keep trying.

I'm finding the deluge of work hard to keep up with at the moment - people keep sending me stuff which interrupts my plans for getting other work done. Hoping for a quietish day today so that I get a couple of lingering bits done and off the to-do list (two have deadlines today, so not much choice in the matter). I love having work, but not feeling on top of it is beginning to wear me down a bit. Not helped by a serious lack of sleep!

Dinner tonight is hm pizza - I've put the bases on to prove and am feeling very MS about them - used the mozzarella water in the mix, so only 70ml of 'paid for' water from the tap (and it'll taste better too) and because I started them first thing, you cut the yeast down to 1/8 of a tsp, so a penny () saved there!

Depending on work, we might go to the cinema tonight - we've not been in a few weeks and would like to see Black Panther. This will be from my birthday treat from Dad, so no cost (might break open the big bag of kettle chips from the Christmas hamper from my sister (we don't have crisps because of the packaging, so this is a real treat for us - sad isn't it!).

I made cream of tomato soup yesterday to use up some of the cream in the fridge. Twas yummy, just like Heinz! Have sent DH with some today in the flask. Food stocks in fridge slowly coming under control - pizza tonight will use up a few bits of sad veg and the pizza base sauce (the cost of which totally undoes the MSE pizza bases, but is tasty).

MS things:
    * Intro email from Nw has arrived and been forwarded to DH - a job for the weekend possibly though as he's got to sort the bookies out first.
    * Using up food
    * MS rewards, VB poll, SBs - code day today, so a few to be collected there
    * Cheapy cinema tonight - 241 and DH's work discount

NY resolutions:
    * made 10k steps yesterday - much walking around the house while on the phone and then a short walk in the evening with DH

Gratitudes:
    * All the work (I am grateful really)
    * There's still cheesecake in the fridge
    * I'm lucky to be able to have a nap later if needed - I'm not sure what they'd make of me working in an office!

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,651Users online

Martin's Twitter