Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 3:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 3:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 520
    • SouthernGuy
    • By SouthernGuy 15th Apr 19, 9:27 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    SouthernGuy
    Thank you so much MSE,

After years of following your site for money saving tips etc I finally decided to follow your ppi reclaiming guide to see what I was owed on a couple of Egg loans I took out in my youth...
    I can remember at the time being annoyed that they would only allow me to have the loans if I took out PPI with them despite being in a well paid stable job....

Anyway, Friday a letter dropped through my door saying they've assessed the claim and upheld it...

I'm now awaiting a cheque for 5,000!!!!

Thank you so much!!!
    • Elaine59
    • By Elaine59 15th Apr 19, 3:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elaine59
    Elaine
    Not sure if I am starting in the right place but hey ho I will anyway. My husband and myself were sold a critical illness policy by a broker In our village, who was working in the same building as the building society (Halifax) we were applying for a re-morrgage with. He told me it was a requirement for us to get the mortgage. We have applied for a refund but have been refused with the lender saying we have no claim. Is this right?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Apr 19, 3:08 PM
    • 21,678 Posts
    • 23,572 Thanks
    zx81
    If you sent your complaint to the lender, it's no surprise.

You need to make a complaint to the broker, giving your mis sale reasons. You can't just 'apply for a refund'.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Apr 19, 3:14 PM
    • 97,962 Posts
    • 66,121 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Not sure if I am starting in the right place but hey ho I will anyway. My husband and myself were sold a critical illness policy by a broker In our village, who was working in the same building as the building society (Halifax) we were applying for a re-morrgage with. He told me it was a requirement for us to get the mortgage. We have applied for a refund but have been refused with the lender saying we have no claim. Is this right?
    Originally posted by Elaine59
    CIC is not PPI. So, if you are making a PPI complaint then it is logical it would be rejected.

Also, the lender has no liability for the sale of products by third parties.

Brokers often have an insurance requirement to get free mortgage advice. That model is allowed as long as the insurance is suitable. So, doenst appear to be any issue here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Treakil
    • By Treakil 15th Apr 19, 3:25 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Treakil
    Success with Egg Card
    Hello,

I have just rang egg and asked for the ref no for a loan I had with PPI on. Turns out I had two!! Both paid off, 1 paid off Nov 2003 and other 1 paid off Apr 2008. When I took these out I was told I could not have the loan UNLESS I took out PPI.

When I called they said they could raise the claim for me over the phone, which I did stating the reason above.

Now I did try and claim PPI back ages ago on one of the loans around 2007, at the time I was told I could not claim as they could not find the recordings of the phone calls??!!! So told me I had no proof.

So my questions are:
    1 - Have I done the right thing?
    2 - Is what they said true, and if so are they likely to turn my application down now?
    3 - Has anyone had trouble with claiming form Egg?

Thank you for your time in reading
    Originally posted by Red82
    I originally contacted Barclays who I thought were managing Egg Card to be told they could find no record of me. Then I found on MSE in one of the PPI threads a useful contact at Canada Square Operations who now manage Egg Card. (https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/complaints-egg.do). So I completed an online 'PPI Checker Enquiry Form'. I did not know exactly when I'd had the card, only where I was living when I applied which was between 1993-2017! I also did not have the account number. Within days they replied with the account number. Then I completed another online form 'PPI Complaint form' on same web page on the basis that I'd applied by post and their wording implied that taking the insurance was a required part of the card application. Within a week I got a letter saying they'd upheld my complaint and were reimbursing me 3,600! I'm telling everyone I know who had an Egg Card to go this route.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Barclays about PPI on a Woolwich/Barclays mortgage. I'll let you know how I get on....
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th Apr 19, 3:31 PM
    • 7,178 Posts
    • 4,522 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I originally contacted Barclays who I thought were managing Egg Card to be told they could find no record of me. Then I found on MSE in one of the PPI threads a useful contact at Canada Square Operations who now manage Egg Card. (https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/complaints-egg.do). So I completed an online 'PPI Checker Enquiry Form'. I did not know exactly when I'd had the card, only where I was living when I applied which was between 1993-2017! I also did not have the account number. Within days they replied with the account number. Then I completed another online form 'PPI Complaint form' on same web page on the basis that I'd applied by post and their wording implied that taking the insurance was a required part of the card application. Within a week I got a letter saying they'd upheld my complaint and were reimbursing me 3,600! I'm telling everyone I know who had an Egg Card to go this route.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Barclays about PPI on a Woolwich/Barclays mortgage. I'll let you know how I get on....
    Originally posted by Treakil

Citi have some of the PPI liability but not all, depends on dates of the card so you should tell people to check first before sending the complaint
    • Juju Mum
    • By Juju Mum 15th Apr 19, 4:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Juju Mum
    Very old PPI claim closed without investigation
    I attempted to reclaim PPI on 1991 mortgage, about 8 years ago. Contacted broker - response that the company no longer existed and they were not liable, even though they trade under the same name. Contacted Cheltenham & Gloucester, mortgage & PPI provider, - response - no longer had the paperwork and claim was too old to be investigated, and informed that they had closed the claim. PPI was mis-sold as I was told mortgage application would be viewed more favourably. Is there any worth in trying again, I have the original paperwork?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Apr 19, 4:53 PM
    • 97,962 Posts
    • 66,121 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I attempted to reclaim PPI on 1991 mortgage, about 8 years ago. Contacted broker - response that the company no longer existed and they were not liable, even though they trade under the same name.
    Brokers were not regulated until Jan 2005. So, a 1991 sale is long before regulation.

Contacted Cheltenham & Gloucester, mortgage & PPI provider, - response - no longer had the paperwork and claim was too old to be investigated, and informed that they had closed the claim. PPI was mis-sold as I was told mortgage application would be viewed more favourably.
    The lender never has liability for a broker sold product. What you did was effectively complain to Tesco about something ASDA sold you. That was just a waste of time.

Is there any worth in trying again, I have the original paperwork?
    None whatsoever.

if it makes you feel any better, most MPPI complaints fail anyway. So, even if they did fall within regulation, it would likely still end up rejected anyway.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Stephbain
    • By Stephbain 17th Apr 19, 5:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stephbain
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so not exactly sure how it all works so hope I'm doing t his right.

I took out car finance in 2007 with Welcome finance. I have now been told that the finance was with a broker called APPROVED CAR FINANCE but I am unable to find any further information on this company..... there is a website that let's u apply for car finance (typically)but other than that I cant find out how to claim back my PPI, which I know was misled to me as I was told I could not have the car without signing for it and was never given an option. Any advice would be gratefully recieved right now as I have totally hit a brick wall

Many thanks

Steph
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Apr 19, 5:53 AM
    • 21,678 Posts
    • 23,572 Thanks
    zx81
    You don't claim it back.

You send a mis selling complaint to whoever sold it to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Apr 19, 7:44 AM
    • 9,881 Posts
    • 12,706 Thanks
    -taff
    these?
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11323642

If it is them, then you send your complaint to the FSCS.
    Be aware, you are not claiming anything back, you make a complaint that it was missold.
    The FSCS will not refund any redress in the same way as if the company were still going, you won't get 8% simple interest.
    Last edited by -taff; 17-04-2019 at 7:48 AM.
    • Jona78
    • By Jona78 17th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jona78
    They didn't ask so and I didn't mention it until this situation came up, I've since emailed "The Claims Guys" and got this response...

You currently do not have any active claims on your account. If you do not wish to claim then advise us by return email that you wish to closed all checks and claims and we will close these down for you.

Please note, if you do not wish for us to progress and claims then pleas Don Not send any documentations back authorising us to submit a complaint on your behalf.

It didn't really answer my question over the fee's involved in cancelling it though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

39Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin