Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 510
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Jan 19, 10:31 PM
    • 23,278 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was made bankrupt in 2012, I received number of calls about PPI claims. I asked the Receiver's office could I claim they said no.
    Originally posted by paintings35
    You can read a very detailed explanation of how and why this is correct here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3766585

Sorry.
    • Claresey1
    • By Claresey1 10th Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claresey1
    Hi all, wondering if you could give me a wee bit of advice

I received this letter from Bank of Scotland this morning. Historically, I had a credit card with them years ago which, honestly, I've no idea if I had PPI on it. I did receive the forms to fill in but didn't do it as they were huge and it put me off. Terrible I know.
    Anyway, I've no idea if the letter is legit or not but I'll type out the wording.

Dear Mrs French,
    I'm contacting you about your PPI policy.
    We sent you a check for on 9/1/19 in order to resolve an error with our original calculation. However, as the cheque was written more than 6 months ago it has now been cancelled. You will not be able to pay this into your account.
    We are now making arrangements for a replacement cheque to be sent to your home address within 28 days. The cheque will only be valid for 6 months from the date of issue s and will need to be paid into your account within this time.
    Please remember, we cancelled the original cheque displaying cheque number 196298 . This should be destroyed and you should not try to pay this into your account.
    To help identify the correct cheque to destroy, I can confirm it would have been followed by a letter dated 20 December 2017 (??!). If you didn't receive our earlier letter, please contact us on the number above and we'll arrange for a copy to be reissued.

Then there's a whole bit about contact numbers which are legit and ombudsman details too.

I'm so confused. Thought id ask the forum before I made an a@@ of myself. It all smells a bit fishy...

Sorry for the huge post and thanks in advance
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jan 19, 1:09 PM
    • 21,240 Posts
    • 22,943 Thanks
    zx81
    Give them a call.
    • Joby Fox
    • By Joby Fox 11th Jan 19, 1:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Joby Fox
    Reply to Claresey1
    My instincts are the same as yours- it smells fishy. If you haven't submitted a claim why would Bank of Scotland have sent you a cheque? Note also the letter uses the US spelling of cheque (check) which surely BoS would not do. I strongly advise not contacting any number or address given in the letter. Best look up BoS's published contact details and speak to them, to satisfy yourself that they did not send it.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    My instincts are the same as yours- it smells fishy. If you haven't submitted a claim why would Bank of Scotland have sent you a cheque? Note also the letter uses the US spelling of cheque (check) which surely BoS would not do. I strongly advise not contacting any number or address given in the letter. Best look up BoS's published contact details and speak to them, to satisfy yourself that they did not send it.
    Originally posted by Joby Fox

I think OP typed that up as the correct use of 'cheque' is used later on
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 11th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Bermonia
    Would agree with Joby Fox give em a call to a number from their official website - never trust numbers in letters that you suspect
    • Claresey1
    • By Claresey1 12th Jan 19, 11:33 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claresey1
    Thanks guys. I received a cheque this morning..looking back I did sign something. Phoned the bank on the correct number to ensure it was legit.....it is. I'm in shock. 25427.32.
    • marmitelovemehateme
    • By marmitelovemehateme 13th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 36,064 Thanks
    marmitelovemehateme
    I have read about PPI and how to claim back...But, I am still none the wiser how to do this myself...I have absolutely no idea whether I have ever had PPI. I have had mortgages and bank and car loans. Just do not have any paperwork.

Can someone give me an idiots guide where to start. It all seems so daunting and probably easier to get one of the PPI claim firms to do it. Any thoughts please.
    39 Mouses

OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Jan 19, 7:02 PM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I have read about PPI and how to claim back...But, I am still none the wiser how to do this myself...I have absolutely no idea whether I have ever had PPI. I have had mortgages and bank and car loans. Just do not have any paperwork.

Can someone give me an idiots guide where to start. It all seems so daunting and probably easier to get one of the PPI claim firms to do it. Any thoughts please.
    Originally posted by marmitelovemehateme

Follow the MSE guide

All you do is write to the lender, confirm you had PPI, explain why you feel it was miss-sold and provide evidence that supports that.

All a claim firm does is make you do all the above but they post the letter for you
    • Avellis
    • By Avellis 14th Jan 19, 10:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Avellis
    Santander
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help?
    I contacted Santander last year to see if they could check for any potential PPI claim.
    I have been with them since it was Abbey National, then Abbey, and now Santander.
    They told me they haven't kept any records from before they were Santander?
    What now?
    Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    • 21,240 Posts
    • 22,943 Thanks
    zx81
    Now nothing, if neither you nor they have records.
    • Doggle
    • By Doggle 21st Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Doggle
    Natwest PPI
    Hi Folks Looking for a bit of advice re PPI on a couple of loans from NatWest, from the 1990s.

I have read through the PPI forum (although, to be fair, not all of it...) but don't see this specific situation discussed, so hoping someone can help.

I have contacted NatWest to make the initial enquiry into their records, and they have confirmed that they have records for three loans, and that there was PPI of 500 on one of them from 1994.
    They have also listed the two other loans on their response letter, but state that neither of these had PPI.

I have paperwork for the three initial loan applications (original / carbon copy forms that were completed in the bank), and one does indeed state that PPI of 500 was added to the loan amount. I also have another application form for a consolidation loan, some three months later, where PPI was also added.

So, I have records of PPI on at least two of these loans, where NatWest only have records for one.

The question is, do I reply to their their initial response letter, enclosing the evidence that I have, and ask them to update their response, or do I complete the complaint form in full, and send my evidence of the PPI on the second loan with the completed complaint form?

For the record, the PPI on the first loan was definitely mis-sold, as I was told at the time that I had to take the PPI in order to get the loan. The second loan was a consolidation of the first, albeit from only 3 months later, and PPI was again added to the new loan in the same way.
    Many thanks in advance for any help.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 21,240 Posts
    • 22,943 Thanks
    zx81
    The question is, do I reply to their their initial response letter, enclosing the evidence that I have, and ask them to update their response, or do I complete the complaint form in full, and send my evidence of the PPI on the second loan with the completed complaint form?
    Originally posted by Doggle
    If you feel you have a genuine complaint, it would be quicker to simply submit your complaint with your evidence.

For the record, the PPI on the first loan was definitely mis-sold, as I was told at the time that I had to take the PPI in order to get the loan.
    Remember that doesn't mean it was definitely mis-sold, if it was a genuine condition of the loan.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Jan 19, 1:05 PM
    • 23,278 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I also have another application form for a consolidation loan, some three months later, where PPI was also added.

So, I have records of PPI on at least two of these loans, where NatWest only have records for one.
    The problem is that application forms are not incontrovertible evidence that you went on to actually pay the PPI. It's highly possible you went on to cancel the PPI during the cooling off period and that is why the Bank's records only show PPI on the first loan.

By all means present your "evidence" to the Bank and see what they come back with, but unless you have documentary evidence (statements etc) that you actually paid for this phantom PPI, the Bank will not refund anything they have no record of.

the PPI on the first loan was definitely mis-sold, as I was told at the time that I had to take the PPI in order to get the loan.
    That's a very weak complaint, given that the PPI was clearly described as optional on the Agreement you signed. It was also 25 years ago, which suggests you have a remarkable memory.
    Look for a more compelling complaint if you want to be sure of a refund.
    • LisaBo
    • By LisaBo 22nd Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LisaBo
    Hi I have just received a letter containing a cheque from Halifax for PPI. I previously contacted them and they sent a letter saying I had no claim. Also to point out I went bankrupt a few years ago so I was told I couldn't put a PPI claim in. My question is do I just bank the cheque(small amount) or can I do something in the forms of a compensation claim now they have clearly admitted it was paid as they are sending the return funds? Thank you
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 22nd Jan 19, 9:48 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi I have just received a letter containing a cheque from Halifax for PPI. I previously contacted them and they sent a letter saying I had no claim. Also to point out I went bankrupt a few years ago so I was told I couldn't put a PPI claim in. My question is do I just bank the cheque(small amount) or can I do something in the forms of a compensation claim now they have clearly admitted it was paid as they are sending the return funds? Thank you
    Originally posted by LisaBo

If the loan was from pre-bankruptcy it is an offence to cash the cheque as it belongs to the OR not you. I would ring the OR and offer them the money to avoid getting in any trouble.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Jan 19, 10:47 AM
    • 97,598 Posts
    • 65,730 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Also to point out I went bankrupt a few years ago so I was told I couldn't put a PPI claim in.
    in which case, if the redress payment relates to PPI paid prior to your bankruptcy then you are committing an offence by keeping that money. You are legally required to let the official receiver know you have received this money.

My question is do I just bank the cheque(small amount) or can I do something in the forms of a compensation claim now they have clearly admitted it was paid as they are sending the return funds? Thank you
    Have they admitted it was wrong or is it a Plevin refund? Small amounts tend to be plevin related and not an admission of wrongdoing. Plevin only applies to rejected complaints.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 22nd Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 9,701 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    -taff
    Originally posted by LisaBo

Did you point out to the Halifax that you went bankrupt?

You are not legally allowed to complain [or claim as some people can't help calling it] about any asset you may have had pre bankruptcy. Send the cheque to the OR to avoid getting into trouble about this.

\If you want to complain about any credit you've received after the bakruptcy was discharged, you are free to do so.
    • LisaBo
    • By LisaBo 22nd Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LisaBo
    Oh my thank you! Never thought of that. Thank you I'll contact and double check!
    • Michelle ma belle
    • By Michelle ma belle 23rd Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Michelle ma belle
    Time limit denial
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

I submitted my claim to LLoyds in October for 3 loans that I had dating back 2007, 2008 and %2011. Luckily I always keep my paperwork and still have all of the original documentation. &Unfortunately within this paperwork I found the standard PPI letter that they issued to everyone informing 'you may have a claim'. I had obviouldy filed this away with all the other bank paperwork assuming it was relating to my account but nothing urgent.

Lloyds came back to me in December stating that they were decling my claim for mis-selling as I was over the 6 year time limit to compalin PLUS the 3 year expiry on the 'you may have a claim' (that letter was dated April 2014). However they were upholding Unfair Relationship - meaning they hadn't disclosed the huge commission they received, which was 84% and two at 79%! The loans were for between 8000, 11000 and 12000. They have since issued a cheque for 4159. I'm confused as to why decline the mis-selling but yet issue this payment.

Is it worth taking this to the Ombudsman regarding the mis-selling or will I be wasing my time even trying?

Smiles
    Michelle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,757Users online

Martin's Twitter