Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,225Posts
    • 3,555Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion
    • 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion 27th Feb 12 at 1:42 PM

Hi all, we've written a new Avios Points Boosting guide to help you earn flights (plus taxes) worldwide and max points' value when redeeming.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other ways to boost your points? What are your top ways to spend Avios points?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 27-02-2012 at 1:48 PM.
Page 19
    • anotherbigspender
    • By anotherbigspender 4th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    anotherbigspender
    Hi,

I'm new to all of this but have just started reading up on Avios collecting with the aim of part paying / upgrading flights to New York in 18 months or so.

I currently have, and have had for years, an Amex Platinum card which pays cashback in November. Can I apply for one of the Avios reward Amex cards and get the sign up bonuses or do I need to cancel my current card (after the cash back has paid) and wait six months until I can apply?

If the latter, my wife is a secondary card holder on my account. Could she apply for a Avios reward Amex and get the bonuses and then go through the referral procedure for me in six months?

Thanks
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Don't know the answer to your question but I suggest looking at www.headforpoints.com
    • anotherbigspender
    • By anotherbigspender 9th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    anotherbigspender
    Don't know the answer to your question but I suggest looking at www.headforpoints.com
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    You will not receive the sign-up bonus if you have held a Platinum, Gold or Green American Express card in the six months before you apply.

For clarity, you will definitely receive the sign-up bonus if you already have a BA Amex, SPG Amex, Platinum Cashback Amex or any Amex issued by Barclays, Lloyds or MBNA.

After the first year, when the 140 annual fee kicks in, you can cancel at any time for a pro-rata fee refund. American Express is the only card issuer to offer such a pro-rata fee refund.

American Express no longer has a minimum income requirement for any of its cards.
    by headforpoints
    The bold text suggests I am fine with the cashback card
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 12th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    steve1500
    definitely second headforpoints
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • carolW
    • By carolW 13th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carolW
    Selling Avios points
    Does anyone know how you can sell points.
    i have many and will not be able to use them for either flights or hotel bookings.
    I know there are companies which offer to buy points but are they legit?
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 13th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 11,979 Posts
    • 24,207 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    i have many and will not be able to use them for either flights or hotel bookings.
    Originally posted by carolW
    Carol, have you looked into the likes of using your points for things like theatre tickets, wine, car hire, days out at theme parks, etc.?

If you "sell" them I doubt you'll get anything like the same value.

However, if you want to "sell" them then I'll leave that to others who will know more than me.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 13th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 5,521 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    malkie76
    You can’t sell them because they remain the property of the scheme at all times. As above - look for other spending options.
    Legal team on standby
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Nick_C
    You can use them to book flights for friends.

The "other" spending offers aren't very good value, but better than nothing.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 13th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    Caz3121
    i have many
    can you confirm approximately how 'many' ...it may help with ideas knowing whether 10,000 100,000 or 1,000,000..
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 14th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    steve1500
    As suggested use them to buy a flight for friends or family & get them to give you the cash
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • carolW
    • By carolW 16th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carolW
    I have about 190,000 Avios points
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I have about 190,000 Avios points
    Thats a very healthy balance.

If you can get it up to 200,000 then you have enough for two return Club World tickets to NY or Chicago. You must have some friends who would appreciate a couple of business class tickets, and show their appreciation appropriately?
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 16th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    steve1500
    45 of CC points would do the trick.

In case you don't know Avios seats are made available 355 days in advance.

We book our Summer holiday flights soon as they become available
    Last edited by steve1500; 16-01-2018 at 4:00 PM.
    • Chalks999
    • By Chalks999 13th Jun 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chalks999
    Avios Credit Card advice
    Hi,

A quick question re Avios and collecting points by a credit card.

I (like many others) have been informed that Avios is moving across to BA Executive Club.

Are there any other options to collect Avios on credit cards APART from American Express (as in the BA option) ?

I use my Lloyds Mastercard for most of my purchases and this is the main source of how I collect points (as well as Tesco and Shell) but find that American Express is not accepted in many establishments due to their high charges (to the retailer)

Does anyone have any suggestions of another type of credit card I can use which is NOT American Express which allows me to collect Avios ?

many thanks in advance,

Chalks999
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jun 18, 10:10 AM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Not currently, no. Lloyd's had an excellent Amex/MC offer but it's not available to new customers.

I find most retailers accept Amex. Even Aldi now takes it. B&Q don't take Amex, but you can use your Amex to buy B&Q gift cards in Wilko.

Some web sites which don't take Amex take PayPal, and you can use your Amex card that way.

Very rarely do I have to use my mastercard.

Amex have great sign up bonuses. 22000 on the gold card if you spend 2000 in the first three months. PM me if you would like a referral.

And check out www.headforpoints.com - the best source of information on collecting Avios.

For online shopping, avios earned through www.shopping.ba.com are sometimes worth more than you would get from a cashback site
    Last edited by Nick_C; 13-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    • jimarnold
    • By jimarnold 13th Jun 18, 10:29 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jimarnold
    Once again I suggest you check headforpoints but basically EU rules governing the amount that can be charged has caused change in the market As suggested there an Amex Gold card (free for the first year so pick up the bonus then cancel combined with a free Tesco Mastercard (sign up offer now on) would appear to be the best choice for most people

In particular AMEX has had to reduce its fees to retailers so less to pass on - but i would expect more retailers to start accepting AMEX (its no coincidence that Aldi do now)
    • joshtbh
    • By joshtbh 5th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    joshtbh
    hi guys are you all still keen on collecting Avios even with the fact it's changing to BA Exec Club?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 5th Jul 18, 1:50 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Avios e-Store - double Avios all this week
    Tesco Wine by the Case looks attractive at 10 Avios to the pound instead of 5, especially if you pay with a Tesco Debit Card. 100 of wine comes with 1313 Avios.
    (100/1.2*10) + (100 * 2 * 2.4)

Others worth mentioning include Holland and Barrett 20/, Groupon 16/, AllBeauty.com and ChemistDirect 12/, Asos 8/, B&Q 6/, Argos and John Lewis 4/

Avios calculated on ex Vat amounts.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    • 12,358 Posts
    • 8,440 Thanks
    Voyager2002

I have bought Avios before now, using Ebay.

It was something like, I needed to add the seller to my household account and then the points were transferred across. Everything worked smoothly, and I was happy to pay his price.
    • dazse10
    • By dazse10 27th Jul 18, 8:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dazse10
    Could anyone let me know if i can buy travel money and collect Avios points ? Wanted to use my amex card but this seems impossible as nobody accepts them. If i used the avios e store and went to John lewis to buy travel money would i still get the 4 avios for 1 spent ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,388Posts Today

6,844Users online

Martin's Twitter