Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 21st Feb 12, 12:37 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,339Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Beware costly subscriptions when shopping online
    • 21st Feb 12, 12:37 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Beware costly subscriptions when shopping online 21st Feb 12 at 12:37 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Beware costly subscriptions when shopping online ..."

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 22-02-2012 at 8:38 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 21st Feb 12, 5:03 PM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,484 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 21st Feb 12, 5:03 PM
    • 21st Feb 12, 5:03 PM
    As an added protection that puts you in control I'd suggest using a Pre-Paid Debit Card so if you do get duped or find it hard to cancel you are in the driving seat!

Doing your research before you sign up too.

You have to watch out for some competitions (even some sent via ITV) that you are not signing up for a text subscription or email\telephone marketing spam!
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 21st Feb 12, 8:42 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 21st Feb 12, 8:42 PM
    • 21st Feb 12, 8:42 PM
    I actually don't understand why there isn't a campaign to bring to an end continuous payments. I clearly know exactly why continuous payments exist, but personally, I think it's high time legislation was brought in to stop it.

I've been signed up a couple of times via this method using a credit card taking out breakdown cover with a well known company. No issues stopping the payment just prior to renewal date, but some companies I am sure, bank on you forgetting you're signed up using this method. Even worse, there are too many horror stories of people being unable to stop the payments without major problems. I suppose though at the end of the day, consumers should always read the small print.
  • debsday
    • 22nd Feb 12, 8:54 AM
    • 22nd Feb 12, 8:54 AM
    I recently paid for postage for 'sample' of moisturizer that was advertised on a well known social website. unbeknown to me I had also signed up for a monthly product! . I only found out because I regularly check my bank account, they had taken almost £200 ! my bank the Nat west refused to give me a refund although they new about the company's dealings. So if it sounds too good to be true IT REALLY IS ! beware.
  • zenbanana
    • 22nd Feb 12, 2:13 PM
    • 22nd Feb 12, 2:13 PM
    I've noticed these kinds of offers a few times recently when buying stuff. e.g. Shopper Discounts & Rewards as mentioned in the article but have always steered clear

Are they actually any good? What sort of discounts can you get?
    The path to enlightenment is a yellow fruit
    • jgriggle
    • By jgriggle 22nd Feb 12, 2:49 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    jgriggle
    • 22nd Feb 12, 2:49 PM
    • 22nd Feb 12, 2:49 PM
    Do a Google search for 'Redsave Scam'
  • Uncle Rob
    • 22nd Feb 12, 9:21 PM
    • 22nd Feb 12, 9:21 PM
    Watch out for using the online shop for Next. They offer you a discounted delivery if you buy their catalogue, but just before I accepted that I realised that the small print said I was signing up to pay to receive the catalogue every year. Worse, you can only shop on line with Next if you open what seemed like a credit account with the usual store account insane interest rate. Be careful to pay in full for any purchase and READ THE SMALL PRINT!!!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 23rd Feb 12, 2:47 AM
    • 12,596 Posts
    • 11,773 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:47 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 2:47 AM
    Watch out for using the online shop for Next. They offer you a discounted delivery if you buy their catalogue, but just before I accepted that I realised that the small print said I was signing up to pay to receive the catalogue every year. Worse, you can only shop on line with Next if you open what seemed like a credit account with the usual store account insane interest rate. Be careful to pay in full for any purchase and READ THE SMALL PRINT!!!
    Originally posted by Uncle Rob
    And just to clarify a bit: the Next catalogue is £5 a copy, they used to ask for it upfront but now I think just add it to your accound bill? They opened me an account without realsing a few years back which then backfired because I never asked for an account nor wanted one and they sent me catalogues and left them on the doorstep- never read never ordered and as a result put a bad taste in my mouth. Great way to win customers hey?!
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 27th Feb 12, 11:25 AM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,484 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 27th Feb 12, 11:25 AM
    Continuous payment authority rule change !!!!!!!!!!
    • 27th Feb 12, 11:25 AM
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/24/continuous-payments-authority-know-your-rights?newsfeed=true

you can go direct to your bank/card company and ask them to cancel the payments. The Financial Services Authority recently updated its consumer advice to make this clear (see right). It says: "Your bank or card issuer must then stop them Ė it has no right to insist you agree this first with the company taking the payments."

Just heard this on "BBC YOU AND YOURS" - Sandra Quinn, UK payments said Banks etc. are still getting it wrong and informing customers they can't do anything.
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 27th Feb 12, 12:00 PM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Hi

Shopper Discounts and Rewards has asked us to post a response to zenbanana. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

Hi zenbanana,

We just wanted to let you know about some of the benefits of Shopper Discounts & Rewards in response to your post. It’s an online savings and discount membership programme, the first 30 days are free and thereafter it’s £10 a month. Some of the benefits included are: up to 10% cash back at more than 800 top online retailers, an initial £15 cash back voucher following another purchase at the website you joined the programme through, plus an ongoing monthly £10 cash back voucher following additional purchases at that same site for each month of your membership.

For more information you can visit the website at www.shopperdiscountsandrewards.co.uk.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • FIK
    Thanks for this information is very usefull. REDSAVE should be called REDSAVESCAM, oh actually they must have had that idea. They have registered the redsavescam.org.uk domain:-)
  • oldforester
    Continuous Payments Continue After Card Expires
    Iíve just received an Email saying that my annual subscription payment to Genes Reunited has been paid (nearly £80.00). I havenít used the site for a while & wasnít aware that I had set up a continuous payment. The reminder Emails were in my spam folder & to be honest, I hadnít looked as I wasnít using GR.
    They have agreed to refund my payment, but said that they would have to send a cheque as the card has expired?
    This rang alarm bells, so I have checked with my bank, who confirmed that when a card expires, any continuous payments will be deducted from the new card, without having to enter the new card details.
    Is anyone else aware of this? I assumed any payments would stop when the card expired.
  • sweetie27
    Thieves
    I bought a train ticket from the trainline website and i must have clicked a link because for 2 yrs shopper discount have been taking money from my account.10pnd every month without me realising which has now totalled 200 pounds.i did not know anything about this.i am absolutely gutted!it seems like u cant trust any website.i have rang them to ask for a refund which they said they will give after i fill in a claim form. We Shall Wait and See! BEWARE OF SHOPPER DISCOUNT
    • cazarol
    • By cazarol 29th Dec 12, 8:08 AM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    cazarol
    I bought a train ticket from the trainline website and i must have clicked a link because for 2 yrs shopper discount have been taking money from my account.10pnd every month without me realising which has now totalled 200 pounds.i did not know anything about this.i am absolutely gutted!it seems like u cant trust any website.i have rang them to ask for a refund which they said they will give after i fill in a claim form. We Shall Wait and See! BEWARE OF SHOPPER DISCOUNT
    Originally posted by sweetie27
    I did get a refund for my daughter, although it was only 2 months @ £10, so fingers crossed you will be successful. I didnt need to fill a form in though.
    • Malibu09
    • By Malibu09 19th Feb 13, 11:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Malibu09
    Point Shop.co.uk
    I "bought" an electric toothbrush for £1 through the paid offers site, never received the toothbrush but a company called Pointshop.co.uk have been taking £45 off my debit card for VIP membership.
    No emails ever received to tell me about this membership and it seems a lot of people have been caught out by them. Their customer service is just standard replies and links that don't work and the company address is Denmark,
    Asked my bank to cancel the payments and they told me it can only be done through the company so am going to go back tomorrow armed with the article mentioned above.
    • wild_life_fan
    • By wild_life_fan 20th Feb 13, 1:28 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    wild_life_fan
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards
    Q: How can anyone 'accidentally' sign up for a recurring subscription with this outfit?
    A: Not until after you have clicked and then provided your card/personal details.

Who in their right mind would do that, unless they knew they were doing it? You can't accidentally provide this info, after you have just bought a train ticket or paid for an ebay purchase!

I have been a 'member' of SD&R for a while. They take £10 from my bank account via debit card each month. I receive an email from them every month to remind me that I'm a member and to encourage me to keep using their site.

Once a month you forward a copy of an online purchase that you've made to them via email. They then send you a £10 cheque in the post (it would be nice if they could pay it into my bank account or credit it to my debit card, but perhaps one day...).
    This means that your subscription is paid for by the £10 chq they send you - you've just got to remember to claim.

The big advantage of this site (and similar sites) is that they offer cashback that is far more generous than TopCashback or Quidco.
    You receive 10% cashback on lots of online retailers who only pay a pittance through TCB or Q.
    Nice!

You can also buy gift cards/vouchers for high street stores with 20% discount.
    That's even better than cashback; it's instant and it's 20% off any item in Argos, B&Q, Homebase, etc.

Even if anyone managed to sign up unwittingly (and hand over card/personal details etc), I can't see why people would not notice a monthly £10 recurring payment.
    Check your monthly bank statement!

And in any case, SD&R send at least one email/mth to remind you that you're a member and paying them.

Seems reasonably fair to me, or am I missing something?
    Last edited by wild_life_fan; 21-02-2013 at 9:13 AM. Reason: payment is via debit card not DD
  • clarinette
    Bank wouldn't help, but cancelling the debit card solved it
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/24/continuous-payments-authority-know-your-rights?newsfeed=true

you can go direct to your bank/card company and ask them to cancel the payments. The Financial Services Authority recently updated its consumer advice to make this clear (see right). It says: "Your bank or card issuer must then stop them Ė it has no right to insist you agree this first with the company taking the payments."

Just heard this on "BBC YOU AND YOURS" - Sandra Quinn, UK payments said Banks etc. are still getting it wrong and informing customers they can't do anything.
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    Iíve just received an Email saying that my annual subscription payment to Genes Reunited has been paid (nearly £80.00). I havenít used the site for a while & wasnít aware that I had set up a continuous payment. The reminder Emails were in my spam folder & to be honest, I hadnít looked as I wasnít using GR.
    They have agreed to refund my payment, but said that they would have to send a cheque as the card has expired?
    This rang alarm bells, so I have checked with my bank, who confirmed that when a card expires, any continuous payments will be deducted from the new card, without having to enter the new card details.
    Is anyone else aware of this? I assumed any payments would stop when the card expired.
    Originally posted by oldforester
    My son set up a Lovefilm subscription for his girlfriend, but being paid by continuous payment from his debit card. When they split up he requested that they cancel the account. Lovefilm refused to do this without receiving notice of cancellation from the account holder. She wasn't playing ball and they continued to take the money from my son's account.

He went to his bank (Lloyds) and requested that they stop the payments. They said they couldn't do that, so he cancelled the debit card and ordered a replacement. Lovefilm then wrote to him saying that they were unable to take the subscription, and asked for the new card details, which of course he failed to provide.

It was the only way to stop it. Lovefilm also lost him as a customer too.
    • tabaira
    • By tabaira 20th Feb 13, 6:37 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    tabaira
    Shoppers discount scam
    I am appauled that Trainline have been taking £10/month from me after I inadvertently, apparently, signed up with them. I will never use trainline again. I recommend Red Spotted Hanky for train travel. I have to say that it was very easy to cancel the subsscription.
  • pianokeith
    I’ve just received an Email saying that my annual subscription payment to Genes Reunited has been paid (nearly £80.00). I haven’t used the site for a while & wasn’t aware that I had set up a continuous payment. The reminder Emails were in my spam folder & to be honest, I hadn’t looked as I wasn’t using GR.
    Originally posted by oldforester
    I had a similar difficulty when I signed up (unawares) to Shopper Discounts, after a transaction with Argos. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].
    When I realised what had happened I called the card issuer to cancel, to be told that I had to contact SD to stop the payments being taken. As that card was about to expire, I didn't bother, assuming that once the card was no longer valid the payments would automatically cease.
    It was some time later that I realised this wasn't the case, so I attempted to email them to cancel. I received no replies to my emails. It seems that you can't send emails to them from a web-based address!
    I eventually managed to find a 'phone number & called them to cancel. Despite the fact that I had never used the 'service' & they had taken a substantial amount in payments which I had not authorised, they couldn't even be bothered to apologise, never mind give me a refund!
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]. Like others on this forum, I can't understand why there is no concerted campaign to stop this kind of thing.
    If you must use Argos it's better to go to a store. If you need to use them on-line, DON'T whatever you do, click on anything to do with discounts - it's a whole lot of hurt!!
    Last edited by MSE Investigator; 31-07-2013 at 3:13 PM.
  • Lizzyreb
    Shoppers discount scam
    I tried to claim £15 cash back from Argos through shopper discount. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]. I noticed after two payments had been taken, even though I had still not received my £15 cash back! I rang the number on the MSE website, quoting your refund claims, and shopper discounts have told me they will refund the two payments taken from my account. Thank you.
    Last edited by MSE Investigator; 31-07-2013 at 3:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,283Posts Today

7,453Users online

Martin's Twitter