Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    • 9,300Posts
    • 14,346Thanks
    worried jim
    Your Bangernomics successes
    • 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    Your Bangernomics successes 19th Feb 12 at 1:34 PM
    Hello my fellow cheapskates. After spending nearly three years running a car for as cheap as possible, mainly as I ran it throughout all but he darkest depths of winter on WVO/UVO (waste or used vegetable oil), in a Vauxhall Astra I have had to say good bye to the old girl as it is no longer economical to repair to get it through it’s MOT (which has now expired yesterday).

Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1961265&highlight=worried+jim

Being of limited budget but a growing fan of “Bangernomics” (old banger cars + economics) I have decided to catalogue my experiences of running a sub £1000 car and I would like you to share your experiences if you are doing the same, weather through tight-fisted choice, i.e.-
    -Why buy a new car when you can run one successfully for the equivalent of two new car finance payments.
    -Or like me because you have no choice.

Now to begin with we need to agree on price constraints. I have gone in with a £1000 price limit even though I paid half this, if you disagree lets discuss reasons, I am all ears.

Here is my set up-
    A Rover 600 2.0sli.
    12 months MOT
    No tax
    £495.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic Blue, MOT-02-2013. Honda engine, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Drivers airbag, Electric windows, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking,
    The mileage was approx 118,000, Cambelt changed @79,000, loads of history (not fsh though) all the old MOT certificates.

The bad bits about the car are-

Electric aerial doesn’t retract (can’t use a carwash)
    Drivers seat lumber is worn
    Paint is faded on roof and boot lid.
    Radio is missing a button and unable to pick up many stations
    Small cigarette burn in rear passenger seat
    Driver’s seat belt doesn’t retract
    Not sure if Air con is fully working (suspect needs a re gas)
    Wind noise at speed from top right of driver door
    Both wing mirrors are tatty (held together with tape and a nylon tie)

The good bits-

Drives very well
    All tyres have lots of tread
    All electrics work
    12 months MOT
    Goes like stink
    Better than the last car I had.

So in a nutshell I have bought a car with a brand new MOT for the price of getting my existing Astra through it’s MOT just to face a similar if not larger bill for the same next year.
    Now there is nothing to suggest that in a years time I face the prospect of a large MOT repair bill and may have to start again with another car, hopefully not, and this is to document how far you can go with a banger.

I have found an original Topgear review by Jeremy himself from 1993-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Lq92QTrBw

I have had a good look around ebay and it is full of Rover parts should I need any- I currently have the wining bid on a Haynes manual so I can really get to know the car should I need to.

I will be the first to admit that this is a gamble, no nice new car with no faults or warranty should any arise, hell, I’ve bought a car from a now defunct manufacture, how will this effect me? Now in my mind when I was a teenager in the early 90’s a banger was a Hillman Imp, Vauxhall Chevette or as in my case and my first car a Talbot Sunbeam. These were cars that if you wanted a radio (or a rear heated element on the rear screen) you had to fit one your self. Cold morning- fingers crossed, MOT time meant welding new sills. Now a banger today comes with power steering, ABS, electric windows, fuel injection and in some cases air con, so why spend £k’s?

Top Gear guide to Buying a Banger with Quentin Wilson- From 1997
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUVmNCdf4tI&feature=related
    (You won’t be buying anything featured in this clip but it gives you the idea and you can see the difference between “old” and “modern” bangers.
    So by now you should be getting the jist of how to join in. Share you car and model any feature it may have and keep updating!

The £495 beast-

Tatty rear bumper-

Poor paint condition on roof (with free seagull crap)

Poor paint condition on boot lid-

Tatty wing mirror-

Missing radio button-
    Last edited by worried jim; 19-02-2012 at 2:32 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 70
    • lexington013
    • By lexington013 1st May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    lexington013
    2006 Ford Focus TDCI sport, 118,000 miles, needs some rust on the wings sorted but drives well, 6 months MOT left, £570 lets see how we get on...
    • fred990
    • By fred990 1st May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fred990
    18 yr old passat. Just spent two days fixing failed mot stuff, thank god for vag comm. Well chuffed the old banger will do me another year - and hopefully more. Next up the timing belt, something to keep me occupied all day, can't believe it's four years again. Keep looking at a new rs6/s6 but I love bangers and being contrarian!!
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 12th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    GunJack
    Forgot to update this a couple of weeks ago..... insurance time on the Fusion saw another bonus - fully comp with protected NCB came in at £198, so at least £50 if not closer £100 lower than was expected....

I'm beginning to really like this car. I've had 8.5 months with it, and considering it was a cold-ish winter I've got 60.3 overall mpg to date, which is increasing as it gets warmer again. No advisories on the MoT so hopefully come next april it'll go through with next to nothing..gotta love it
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • mark1959
    • By mark1959 12th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    mark1959
    My '02 focus passed it's MOT with flying colours [whatever that means]. At kwik fit, so i'll be going there again. The only downside to owning this car is finding it in the car park. [it's silver]
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th May 18, 7:53 PM
    • 5,991 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    My '02 focus passed it's MOT with flying colours [whatever that means]. At kwik fit, so i'll be going there again. The only downside to owning this car is finding it in the car park. [it's silver]
    Originally posted by mark1959
    Silver doesn't show up the car park dings as bad
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 24th May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Stoke
    So my time with the Demio is at an imminent end, unfortunately. Very much out of choice rather than necessity. Car still drives great, will probably pass the MOT and is good for a few years at least, but I've just decided at nearly 28, that I need something a bit.... nicer. So I've gone for Luxo-bangeronomics. I'm going to buy a 3-series, 06 reg, 60k miles for £3000. It's definitely top money bangernomics, but it's still bangernomics (imo ) as I will probably still be driving it in 10 years time

As for some rough Bangernomics calculations on the Mazda Demio's performance.

Paid £200 for it.
    Done 9000 miles on it. Not serviced other than oil change it as was done before purchase.
    £10 spent on repairing an indicator.
    Was written off as Cat-N (for said smashed indicator), insurance paid £580 for it.
    Bought back the salvage for £16.
    Now for sale on Gumtree, had an offer of £300 already.

If it sells for £300, then the car will have cost me:
    £200 + £10 - £564 - £300

= -£654 for 9000 miles of hassle free motoring.

Going to take some doing to beat that.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 24th May 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    Exemplar
    2002 - Bought a Daihatsu Charade GTTi from the garage where I worked for £50. it was a trade in with 80K on the clock. Great condition, full years MOT. Drove it for 2 years as a 'spare' and a fun weekend car. Sold it after 2 years with 90K on the clock for £1100 IIRC? Cost of ownership, no servicing, just the 2 x MOT's = - £975?
    Last edited by Exemplar; 24-05-2018 at 2:46 PM. Reason: Grammar
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 24th May 18, 3:00 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Stoke
    2002 - Bought a Daihatsu Charade GTTi from the garage where I worked for £50. it was a trade in with 80K on the clock. Great condition, full years MOT. Drove it for 2 years as a 'spare' and a fun weekend car. Sold it after 2 years with 90K on the clock for £1100 IIRC? Cost of ownership, no servicing, just the 2 x MOT's = - £975?
    Originally posted by Exemplar
    That's incredible. Bangernomics truly at its finest.

They're worth a few pence now those Charade GTTi's.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 24th May 18, 3:10 PM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    GunJack
    So I've gone for Luxo-bangeronomics. I'm going to buy a 3-series, 06 reg, 60k miles for £3000. It's definitely top money bangernomics, but it's still bangernomics (imo )
    Originally posted by Stoke
    That's not Bangernomics, you Splitter

Having a banger written-off s a cracking way to recoup/profit from it, the fact you bought it back is a rarity these days, nice one
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 24th May 18, 3:11 PM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    GunJack
    Originally posted by Exemplar
    Lucky git Always wanted one of those pocket-rockets when I was younger.... and nice profit too
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 25th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Stoke
    That's not Bangernomics, you Splitter

Having a banger written-off s a cracking way to recoup/profit from it, the fact you bought it back is a rarity these days, nice one
    Originally posted by GunJack
    If I keep it for a few years, it might be. True it's not quite the bangernomics i'm used to, but honestly, I can't keep driving that Mazda. I'm embarrassed to be seen dead in it tbh
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 25th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 5,991 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    My 207 will be 10 years old in August - fast approaching bangernomic age again.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 25th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    GunJack
    If I keep it for a few years, it might be. True it's not quite the bangernomics i'm used to, but honestly, I can't keep driving that Mazda. I'm embarrassed to be seen dead in it tbh
    Originally posted by Stoke
    You'll have to sell it to yourself when you judge it's worth about £750, THEN you can re-join the club
    • lexington013
    • By lexington013 31st May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    lexington013
    2006 Ford Focus TDCI sport, 118,000 miles, needs some rust on the wings sorted but drives well, 6 months MOT left, £570 lets see how we get on...
    Originally posted by lexington013
    Ok quick update, using the car for my daily 50 mile commute.
    Bit smokey on start up so have been using a recommended diesel cleaner and it's cured it. Getting about 45mpg so far and it's running nice and smooth. Put about 1300 miles on it so far so it's approaching 120,000 miles.
    So far needed a tyre (slow puncture). Have decided to put 2 new front tyres on as well. Cost so far (3 tyres £168 + diesel treatment £20) so £188.
    Reckon it will need a shock absorber too.
    Will update on running costs as we go.
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 1st Jun 18, 10:10 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    05 reg astra estate. Bought off an ex for £200 with 4 months MOt. Recently went straight through another MOT with no advisories High mileage at 230k but runs with no issues although bodywork a bit scratched and dented
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 2nd Jun 18, 11:14 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    GunJack
    Ok quick update, using the car for my daily 50 mile commute.
    Bit smokey on start up so have been using a recommended diesel cleaner and it's cured it. Getting about 45mpg so far and it's running nice and smooth. Put about 1300 miles on it so far so it's approaching 120,000 miles.
    So far needed a tyre (slow puncture). Have decided to put 2 new front tyres on as well. Cost so far (3 tyres £168 + diesel treatment £20) so £188.
    Reckon it will need a shock absorber too.
    Will update on running costs as we go.
    Originally posted by lexington013
    Which diesel cleaner out of interest??
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Jun 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Stoke
    You'll have to sell it to yourself when you judge it's worth about £750, THEN you can re-join the club
    Haha, well I picked it up the other week and I must admit, the comfort and luxury is a little bit higher than the Demio..... only a little bit :P

I part ex'd the Demio for £450, which means as a cost breakdown:

Bought for £200, written off for £600, part ex'd for £450.

Net profit of £1050. Pretty happy with that. The dealer said realistically though, cars like the Demio are nearly impossible to sell in a garage so it'll either be sold as seen or sold for parts, hopefully the first as the car still has life left in it.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 4th Jun 18, 11:26 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    GunJack
    Yeah, the write-off thing is huge for bangernomics When I confused my Fusion and they auto-filled the value, it was £850...if someone bashes it I'll be looking at around £840 profit off it

Just waiting for another nice person to rear-end Mrs. G-J's current Mondeo and write it off like they did to her last Vectra, then we can get her a smaller diesel banger

edit - only £850 nett surely, you paid £200 for it??
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Jun 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Stoke
    Yeah, the write-off thing is huge for bangernomics When I confused my Fusion and they auto-filled the value, it was £850...if someone bashes it I'll be looking at around £840 profit off it

Just waiting for another nice person to rear-end Mrs. G-J's current Mondeo and write it off like they did to her last Vectra, then we can get her a smaller diesel banger

edit - only £850 nett surely, you paid £200 for it??
    Oops, you're right. £850. Better than a kick in the nuts though.
    • lexington013
    • By lexington013 4th Jun 18, 4:38 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    lexington013
    Which diesel cleaner out of interest??
    BG244.
    Read a lot of "user" reports on the Ford owners forum and in pistonheads.
    I can recommend it purely on the difference it's made to the Ford Focus I bought 6 weeks ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,506Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter