Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 19th Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    • 9,135 Posts
    • 16,903 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:22 PM
    Sarah,

Did you soak it clean fresh water first before cooking.

As I did a quick google and found they all suggest soaking. One said over night another for at least 3 hours.

Hope that helps.

Yours

Calley
  • mink35
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:23 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:23 PM
    I soak my gammon in cold water for about an hour. Change the water add a spoon of sugar then boil the gammon in it for about an hour and a half.

Cover in marmalade, syrup, rubbed in brown sugar etc etc and roast for about an hour. Yummy
    Mink
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 19th Mar 05, 10:24 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:24 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:24 PM
    And don't forget to change your water quite often too. I had a 5kg a while ago - soaked it overnight, changed water 3 or 4 times and cooked it in apple juice - lovely and not salty.
  • sarah1
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:26 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:26 PM
    Yep!
    i had it sitting in fresh clean water regularly. ((changed every few hours) :confused:
    For a day. Was that not long enough as the joint was quite large ??
  • mink35
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:27 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:27 PM
    how did you cook it Sarah?
    Mink
  • sarah1
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:38 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:38 PM
    Boiled for 2 hours and kept changing the water.
    Then roasted with wholegrain mustard for an extra hour. Is that where i went wrong ??
  • mink35
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:40 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 10:40 PM
    Don't know to be honest. I always try and sweeten mine hence the syrup type covering. Does the mustard have a lot of salt cos otherwise I would say it should have been fine??
    Mink
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 19th Mar 05, 11:01 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 19th Mar 05, 11:01 PM
    • 19th Mar 05, 11:01 PM
    Maybe you just got a salty one. Where did you get it from?
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 20th Mar 05, 6:52 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I read somewhere ... maybe Nigella Lawson ... to go for mild cured hams as these are less salty and often don't need soaking, although I think I'd still soak for a few hours anyway. I always remember my grandma making a big pot of ham and peas one bonfire night (we used to do huge bonfire parties!) and it was so salty no one would eat it LOL!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• aycor
    • By aycor 20th Mar 05, 7:06 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    aycor
    Put potatoes in the boiling water they absorb the salt
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 20th Mar 05, 7:35 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    You have to ask the butcher about the cure of a gammon joint and how long to soak it for. Different cures require different soaking.

I had one at Christmas and it required 24 hours of soaking.

IME if you buy a gammon/ham joint from a Supermarket, the cure is largely "chemical" and a certain amount of saltiness always remains.
    • kazd
    • By kazd 20th Mar 05, 8:27 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    kazd
    If you cooked a gammon/ham joint, how long would you consider it to be safe to eat from the day of roasting.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 20th Mar 05, 11:46 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I have the remains of a ham in my fridge, being eaten up today. Cooked it over a week ago, but has been wrapped and chilled since then. It's fine, but aren't hams cured therefore will keep longer? Isn't that the point of the salt?
  • Mustang
    Was it smoked? I've found that can be salty compared to non-smoked.

Anyhow, I used to boil the ham joints in water, but for the last few years have used the following recipe...

Soak ham for at least 24 hours in water to remove most salt...

Then cook as for normal boiled ham, but replace the water with non-diet coka cola. Yes, sounds disgusting, but it's absolutely brilliant. There is something in the coke which breaks down the cell structure of the ham, resulting in a very tender, beautifully tasting boiled ham. The same chemical is in pineapple juice, and you can likewise cook pork in pineapple juice to make it extremely tender, but I haven't tried this yet.

Anyway, use non-diet coke, do not add sugar (!!). When cooked, remove most of the fat layer, then score remaining fat on joint into small squares. Rub in some molasses, treacle, pepper etc onto the fat, then dot each square with a clove. Cook quickly in a very hot oven to create the 'cracking'. In the meantime, make the sauce. Serve with pureed potatoes and steamed carrots tossed in a light orange butter. And most important, make a 'lake' of sauce in the piled up potato puree on each plate, of course!
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 21st Mar 05, 10:33 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Then cook as for normal boiled ham, but replace the water with non-diet coka cola.
    So ... did Nigella get her idea from you
  • Mustang
    I'm afraid using cola to tenderise pork and other meat has been around far longer than Nigella......
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 21st Mar 05, 9:41 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    in my wellies
    I soak and rinse then bring to the boil from cold then change the water again.
    I use a pressure cooker, allow 12 mins per lb + an extra 12 mins which saves gas and time.
    I was told about the cola recipe years ago but I've never wanted to try it in the pressure cooker!
  • ET03
    i cooked a gammon joint in my new slowcooker and it wasnt salty at all
  • sarah1
    Fantastic gammon joint. I got there at last.....
    Soaked the gammon joint for 24 hours and kept changing the water now and again.
    boiled the joint for about an hour and a half. Changed the water once. Drained the gammon then coated with honey and roasted for half an hour until nice and crispy.
    had a good few portions for lunch, everyone loved it.Left the rest to cool.
    Sliced the rest up on my bacon slicer. Wraped into portions of around one pound in weight for sandwiches and frozen for later use. Leaving loads out for the week.
    It tasted much much beter than the watery stuff from the supermarket and it had no additives aswell
    i am truly a happy bunny.
    thanks to everyone for all your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,764Posts Today

8,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin