Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    trudij
    Parking Eye - Always a scam??
    • 28th Jan 12, 8:02 PM
    Parking Eye - Always a scam?? 28th Jan 12 at 8:02 PM
    Ive got a letter/invoice from this lot today, and reading on here about them - im not sure if i should pay up or ignore...

Basically, they have got me as arriving at a hotel at one time, and leaving 4 1/2 hours later (fair cop - I was late leaving cos i didnt keep a good enough eye on the time) I paid for 4 hours parking (by phone, so no ticket) and wasted 20 mins attempting to register to use the phone pay system (didnt have enough change for the car park!) not that it makes any difference to the fact that i was late out!!

this letter/invoice ive got says that i was in a private car park and either didnt buy a ticket or overstayed my welcome and to cough up £90 by Feb 8th or it will go up to £120.

This is fair enough - I read the sign, thought I was ok, forgot the time at the party I was at - and left late.

BUT

Everything I have read on here (even when people have been late leaving and admit to being late out) says to ignore these letters and it will all just go away eventually??

so which should I do?? (besides take a lot more notice of the time in future) I cant afford the £90, let alone £120 - so if its "pay up and learn" then i need to do that sooner rather than later...

please help someone stupid!!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Page 4
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 18th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Hi

my brother and I went into the car park. We were reading their charges and left after 10 mins. We did not leave our car or the car park and left. We have now received court papers. Parking Eye is asking for £100.00 for our 10 min stay. ParkingEye has quoted a case ParkingEye vKandola (Preston County Court, 20th November 2013). It states that" I'm told there is a period of grace of [x] minute which is allowed and it seems that 13 mins does in fact exceed any reasonable de minimus period". However,on searching on line, Parkingeye v Kandola a line through it and I cannot find it on line.

Our case is different . We were not overstaying - we just drove in read the terms and conditions and drove out after 10 mins. they have sent us a letter confirming our ten minute stay. How do we fight this when Parkingeye v Kandola does not seem to exist?
    Originally posted by ragota

Well to start with you start your own thread instead of confusing things by tagging on to one that was started in 2012, which was a milestone year and will confuse anyone else wading through this.

Your case is no different, and yes grace periods do apply.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    • 20,250 Posts
    • 31,946 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    This is not your thread, and in fact it’s getting towards 6 years old.

As you’re at court stage, you need to read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 and then come back once you’re familiar with the process and not then asking questions that are already covered in the sticky, start a new thread of your own.

Forum etiquette/rules, one case, one thread, otherwise everything gets messy, confused and possibly expensive if advice is misconstrued.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 18-10-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • yolo47
    • By yolo47 5th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yolo47
    yolo47
    Advise

If using any parking facility keep your tickets in a safe place for future reference, If machine is faulty take a video &, or photo.

ParkingEye are trying to get me to pay a fine for parking at City of Coventry Health Centre on the 27 February 2018 without paying.

Based on the following text from ParkingEye
    However, after further investigation, we can confirm that there
    are no vehicle details within the parking system that in any way resemble your
    vehicle registration.
    I'm currently in the appeals process & have asked them to supply information as to what the "parking system" includes i.e. parking ticket machines ?

Lucky for me I kept the parking tickets which in this case, shows the time of purchase, the amount paid and my vehicle registration number.

I feel, if they can waste my time with a poor attempt to extort money from honest law abiding citizen, I can waste theirs.

Last edited by yolo47; 05-04-2018 at 6:29 PM.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 5th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    @yolo47

Please start your own thread on this one. If you do, I'll go out and order my popcorn.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 5th Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 20,250 Posts
    • 31,946 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Advise

Based on the following text from ParkingEye
    However, after further investigation, we can confirm that there
    are no vehicle details within the parking system that in any way resemble your vehicle registration.

Lucky for me I kept the parking tickets which in this case, shows the time of purchase, the amount paid and my vehicle registration number.
    Originally posted by yolo47
    Interesting. Just be sure that none of the following apply:

1. You were in a second car, yet entered the VRM of your other car.
    2. It wasn't a hire car/courtesy car, yet entered your personal car's VRM.
    3. There hasn't been a numeric '0' entered instead of an alpha 'O' (or vice versa).
    4. Similarly a numeric '1' instead of an alpha 'I' (or vice versa).

Any minor human error is seen as fair game for the outlaws to strike.

If none of the above apply, I'll share IamEmanresu's popcorn. No, park that (pardon the pun), I'll get some extra in!
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Smiffie
    • By Smiffie 23rd Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Smiffie
    ParkingEye
    I received an invoice to pay a fine because it states I was over the 2 hours but I was parked in a disabled parking bay and displayed my blue badge (which gives me 3 hours free). My daughter was near the car park (which has a Carpet Right, Lidl’s and a curry’s. I have appealed going on the basis of the blue badge as the only two pictures were of my husband driving out of the car park. I have asked them to provide proof that we parked showing the blue badge. I am waiting a reply which I do not have any hope of winning. Should I just ignore the letter when it arrives or could someone please help me with the next step? The sign does not say a disabled badge does not have the 3 hours all it says is “2 hour max stay (in bold) then under that no return within 2 hours and then under that in four different layouts it has pictures of Parent and toddlers only in marked bays then it has the disabled sign saying Blue Badge holders only in marked bays and then it has under these two a P picture park within bays/in designated areas and then another sign with two diagonal yellow lines saying No parking on red/yellow lines/hatched areas”, it then says Failure to comply with the terms and conditions will result in a parking fine of (in a black box and white writing) £100. Please advice on what to do next?
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 23rd Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 3,592 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    first ....

have a read of the newbies thread ...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

then start a new thread so as not to cause confusion .......

after starting a new thread please delete your post .......

Oh and of you are using a phone to browse ... then a PC / laptop will improve matters

Ralph
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 24th Apr 18, 12:06 AM
    • 9,095 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    pogofish
    I received an invoice to pay a fine because it states I was over the 2 hours but I was parked in a disabled parking bay and displayed my blue badge (which gives me 3 hours free).
    Originally posted by Smiffie
    If you waited this long to face-up to a ticket, then there is little the PPC, or you can do about it .

However if you just selfishly hijacked an old/outdated thread, then you need to follow the FIG advice and inform yourself properly in the manner advised for these forums.

And while you are at it, it would be a good idea to actually read the handbook that came with your badge - Where you will see that it has little or no meaning in the context of private parking..
    • Ponchoman1
    • By Ponchoman1 3rd May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ponchoman1
    Parking Eye Scam?
    Well I am on my last chance to pay £100 before we take you to court sonny! Mines a joke I went to a car park in Canvey Island by the amusements, never parked there before in my life and no other car had a permit in the window in that car park? I purchased one anyway but it took me 20 minutes by asking people, no signs of course to advise, but a bloke told me you just need a receipt from the shop or cinema etc, so I had a ticket anyway now so did not bother with the receipt and paid cash anyway in the resturant, but then I over stayed by 20 mins and the letters started coming. What's worse I checked my permit when the ticket came through and it was only a £1.00 permit when I put £3.00 in the machine!
    This better be a scam, as I wrote in with the letter required to get rid of them but they just keep sending letters, bit of a joke as it says as you did not appeal in the last one, when another says your appeal failed lol. So please tell me this is a scam, I have trusted this site, I was so impressed I joined! LOL
    • PenIsland
    • By PenIsland 3rd May 18, 11:41 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    PenIsland
    Hi Ponchoman1

This is a very old thread and some of the advice is out of date.

I suggest you look at the "**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou! " thread first and then start your own thread.

People will help you here but you have to help yourself as well.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 3rd May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 3,592 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    first ....

have a read of the newbies thread ...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

then start a new thread so as not to cause confusion .......

after starting a new thread please delete your post .......

Oh and of you are using a phone to browse ... then a PC / laptop will improve matters

Ralph
    • Ponchoman1
    • By Ponchoman1 18th Jun 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ponchoman1
    So I overstayed 20 mins on Canvey Island outside the Cinema 1st visit in my life, where the deal was that I had no idea of at the time why no other car had a permit in their windscreen? Reason if going to the cinema, you don't pay I found out after trying to ask passers by which took about 20mins. I never went to the cinema, but after 20 mins to work out what to do I put in £3 permit on my car and it gave me a £1 ticket from the machine and stupidly I did not check the ticket, just knew I had enough time, can't prove that can I? So I read all the info on here, formulated my letter as per directed etc and then the relentless letters started which as per advice I then ignored, now it's a 3 option letter from the court in Northampton;-

1. Pay £175.00 admit liability, pay now to make it go away
    2. Make an offer, I owe 80p I think and go to court?
    3. Contest the whole thing in court.

So what is it to be? I need some proper advice now, this is no longer a joke!

Cheers Pete
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 18th Jun 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Start a new thread for this and read the newbie guides.

The chances of this going to court are very low and the chances of you losing if you follow advice on this forum vanishingly small.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 18th Jun 18, 4:01 PM
    • 9,095 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    pogofish
    So what is it to be? I need some proper advice now, this is no longer a joke!
    Originally posted by Ponchoman1
    Not hijacking old/outdated threads would be the best thing you could do right now. Start your own!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 18th Jun 18, 5:08 PM
    • 10,598 Posts
    • 10,437 Thanks
    The Deep
    What do you not understand by START YOUR OWN THREAD
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Misslauracollings
    • By Misslauracollings 6th Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Misslauracollings
    I've just had one of these through. For lidl? You get an hour and a half and I was 1 hour and 48 minutes. Should I pay or just chuck in bin?
  • hap397
    Start your own thread.

Read the Newbies FAQ. Everything is covered in there including writing to the Lidl CEO to get this cancelled at source
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 6th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 9,095 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    pogofish
    I've just had one of these through. For lidl? You get an hour and a half and I was 1 hour and 48 minutes. Should I pay or just chuck in bin?
    Originally posted by Misslauracollings
    You agreed to not hijack threads - Please take the advice in the post above and start your own thread if needed.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 20,250 Posts
    • 31,946 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Should I pay or just chuck in bin?
    Neither. Two rather bad moves!

Read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 which tells you how to deal with the initial stages of the process. Then start a new thread if you need further advice, not post again on this one.

Once you've learned the basics we'll be able to help you further.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 6th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Originally posted by Misslauracollings

Stop hi-jacking threads, do some research as suggested, and if that is your real name you really are asking for trouble, get it changed now!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,521Users online

Martin's Twitter