Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What oven cleaning method works best for you?

I use Stardrops

1.75% • 1 votes

I use Astonish

3.51% • 2 votes

I use Soda Crystals

3.51% • 2 votes

I use Oven Pride

24.56% • 14 votes

I use Mr Muscle

8.77% • 5 votes

I use Oven Mate

15.79% • 9 votes

I use Brillo pads and lots of elbow grease

7.02% • 4 votes

Other

35.09% • 20 votes

You may not vote on this poll

57 votes in total.

Page 1
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 13th Feb 07, 3:05 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 3:05 PM
    We use the Astonish paste and can be bought for 1 in the cheap shops. Should last about 4-5 cleans and doesnt smell.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • morganb
    • By morganb 13th Feb 07, 3:13 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    morganb
    • 13th Feb 07, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 3:13 PM
    Have you tried Stardrops?
    My oven gleams since I switched to this.
    That's Numberwang!
  • bucksliz
    • 13th Feb 07, 3:22 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 3:22 PM
    Thanks guys! Where do you get Stardrops? Never heard of it!
    • morganb
    • By morganb 13th Feb 07, 5:12 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    morganb
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:12 PM
    I got mine from Wilkinsons. I think ASDA also stock it. It really is amazing stuff. I put some in a plant mister, watered it down, sprayed it on the oven, came back ten minutes later and wiped it clean. Really as easy as that.
    That's Numberwang!
  • Jayar
    Yep, I can vouch for stardrops in the oven. We inherited a combination microwave oven and it really was in a dreadful state. I don't think it had been properly cleaned (Between you and me, I think that is why she wanted to give it away )
    Anyway, I tried everything I had - the full arsenal, and while I got rid of most of it, it was still grungy. The other day I poured neat stardrops on the burnt on bits, left it for an hour or so and, with a bit of scrubbing, it's like new again
    We get ours from Semi-Chem - about 69p I think. But loads of places sell it.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
    • morganlefay
    • By morganlefay 13th Feb 07, 5:35 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    morganlefay
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:35 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:35 PM
    I haven't tried Stardrops which I only met when I started reading here but I think my all-time favourite is the stuff you get from Lakeland in a bottle. You paint it on with a brush and leave it till it has turned into something that looks like Marmite (yuk) then rinse off, repeating if necessary. Spectacular !! It seems expensive but because it works perfectly I think it's worth it !!
    • Wickedkitten
    • By Wickedkitten 13th Feb 07, 5:40 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    Wickedkitten
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:40 PM
    I use soda crystals and water.
  • bommer
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:49 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 5:49 PM
    I like oven pride which works wonders
  • LJM
    starclen is a tougher version of stardrops i use this for my oven
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • miss pink
    Soda crystals and hot water is good. No choking fit when your heads in the oven! and its cheap too, 52p in tesco.
    Have'nt found Stardrops yet, keep looking though.
  • abby'smum
    Bicarb and water - now have a lovely clean oven. Just make sure you rinse it off well. Is also v.good for cleaning the fridge. Hope this helps am forum virgin
  • Kazonline
    I use vinegar and sprinkle with bicarb, give a good rub with my gloved hand, and rinse. Depending on how bad it is I sometimes do it a couple of times - but the bonus is the oven is nice and fresh. I know this combination (vinegar & bicarb) is said to undo the work of the other - but it works for me - and the bottom of mine gets fairly bad.
    I really should clean after every use..... but then I'm no domestic goddess
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) 320.
    Week 1 - 73.99 Week 2 5.10 (so far )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol 20.41, Clothes 8.50, House 3.
    • honey
    • By honey 16th Feb 07, 6:34 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    honey
    Soda crystals and hot water is good. No choking fit when your heads in the oven! and its cheap too, 52p in tesco.
    Have'nt found Stardrops yet, keep looking though.
    by miss pink
    Another vote for soda crystals and hot water - works a treat .

(Hello and welcome abby'smum )
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Feb 07, 9:48 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    I`ve used oven pride for the first time today and I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use. I am impressed with the bag and how leakproof it is. No smell and the bottle doesn`t drip. I have to be patient for another hour and then I`ll start wiping.

All down to me cooking a goose breast and forgetting to clean the oven before pre-heating to 250 (sourdough bread on a stone). I was nearly gassed out of the house when I opened the oven door. Of course everything got well and truly baked on and my, how that little breast splashed

I`ll be using stardrops after this clean, although I am keeping the bit of oven pride I have left for emergencies

It`s going to be covered casseroles from now on

and I hate being on my hands and knees. What a stupid design of an oven
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 18th Feb 07, 10:38 AM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    Does the stardrops or the other OS cleaners work on the glass panel in the door also.
    I really must get my head inside that oven and clean the thing.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
    • kscour
    • By kscour 18th Feb 07, 10:41 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    kscour
    got to put in my vote for lakeland plastics oven cleaner - it's not cheap but it does a brilliant job and it doesn't smell
    May GC - 469.36/400
  • grannybroon
    LJM - How dilute do you do Starclen for the oven please? My oven in desperate need of a little tlc. I have Stardrops and Starclen in the cupboard so will need to work up a bit of elbow grease!

GB
    • CLARABEL
    • By CLARABEL 18th Feb 07, 3:03 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    CLARABEL
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnonnoooo

all this talk of clening ovens...mine really needs doing!

ho hum....i might do it.....

or i might just sit here for a while
  • LJM
    LJM - How dilute do you do Starclen for the oven please? My oven in desperate need of a little tlc. I have Stardrops and Starclen in the cupboard so will need to work up a bit of elbow grease!

GB
    by grannybroon
    hi it says on the bottle 4-5 tablespoons i think but i just quart filled a spray bottle and filled up with water but i use neat on stubborn bits,though test a bit on your oven first just in case and where gloves if your prone to dry skin
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

3,210Users online

Martin's Twitter