Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 13th Feb 07, 1:22 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses
    • 13th Feb 07, 1:22 PM
    Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses 13th Feb 07 at 1:22 PM
    Urgent! From 6 Dec 2010 the Tesco Clubcard Rewards exchange rate drops from 4x to 3x, ie, a 10 Tesco voucher will become 30 if rewards. Full update in the Loyalty Points guide.

What's the deal?

From 16 Feb Tesco you’ll be able to spend you Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses. The vouchers can be used on all levels of undergraduate courses.

Like all other offers in the Tesco Deals brochure, Clubcard points are worth 4X more when you spend them on the Open University rather than in-store. So a beginners’ French course which normally costs 410 would only be 102.50 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers – c'est magnifique!

How it works

Once your Clubcard vouchers arrive through the post, exchange them for Open University Deals Vouchers online.

You can then use your Deals vouchers to pay either in part or in full for a course, alongside any funding you’re entitled to. Read more about Open Uni Financial Support

Related articles

Loyalty Schemes. Tricks to improve your stash of Nectar, Airmiles, Tesco & others

Student MoneySaving: Funding, borrowing and living as a student

Student Loans: How to use them the MoneySaving way

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 22-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 14th Feb 07, 3:04 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    • 14th Feb 07, 3:04 PM
    • 14th Feb 07, 3:04 PM
    Thanks sounds great will give it a try
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 14th Feb 07, 6:04 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    • 14th Feb 07, 6:04 PM
    • 14th Feb 07, 6:04 PM
    It is worth noting that these can only be used for undergraduate courses and not postgraduate courses.
  • Welsh Lady
    • 15th Feb 07, 11:38 PM
    Brilliant News for OU Students
    • 15th Feb 07, 11:38 PM
    This is brilliant news for OU students, especially if they are Tesco shoppers!!!

As the courses are getting dearer all the time, it will save us a fortune in course fees.

We have already started spreading the word through the OU student community.

For those living in rural and remote parts of Britain it is one Tesco offer that we will be able to access!!
  • welshy1
    • 18th Feb 07, 10:31 AM
    tesco clubcard vouchers for ou study - named person only
    • 18th Feb 07, 10:31 AM
    Having recently completed studying with the OU, i have looked into further study. On discovering tesco vouchers can be used for ou study, my parents offered to donate a high value of their tesco clubcard vouchers towards my next course. However, there is a catch. Currently, the person named on the clubcard voucher, is the person who must undertake the study. We have contacted Tesco querying this and explaining our situation.
  • TeaBoy
    • 19th Feb 07, 1:39 AM
    • 19th Feb 07, 1:39 AM
    Having recently completed studying with the OU, i have looked into further study. On discovering tesco vouchers can be used for ou study, my parents offered to donate a high value of their tesco clubcard vouchers towards my next course. However, there is a catch. Currently, the person named on the clubcard voucher, is the person who must undertake the study. We have contacted Tesco querying this and explaining our situation.
    by welshy1
    i'd be interested in the reply welshy. i'm in a similar situation.
  • RufusFrog
    • 19th Feb 07, 3:57 PM
    • 19th Feb 07, 3:57 PM
    by welshy1
    I've got an idea although it will only apply to future purchases: give your parents one of your keyfob cards and their points will accrue to your account. (Checks Tesco website...
    ...they say you are only allowed to give a keyfob to someone in your own household. Clearly this is not anything anyone should try.)
    Last edited by RufusFrog; 22-02-2007 at 9:51 AM. Reason: to make it clear I am not encouraging anyone to break the T&Cs
    • skylight
    • By skylight 19th Feb 07, 4:04 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 19th Feb 07, 4:04 PM
    • 19th Feb 07, 4:04 PM
    But can you use them to pay off the Ousba account???????
  • RufusFrog
    • 20th Feb 07, 9:35 AM
    • 20th Feb 07, 9:35 AM
    by welshy1
    Interestingly, an article in the latest Open House (OU Staff magazine) implies that points can be gifted and pooled. This seems to flatly contradict the Tesco website which says 'Tesco Clubcard Points and Vouchers cannot be transferred, sold or in any way traded. They may only be pooled by members with the same postal address.'

I am seeking clarification.
    Last edited by RufusFrog; 22-02-2007 at 9:47 AM. Reason: improperly quoting from in-house sources
  • RufusFrog
    Sorry to keep posting but I keep on finding out snippets of info. I summarise (as I've been slapped on the wrist for quoting from internal websites)

Deal tokens must have the student's name on them, they cannot be used to reduce OUSBA debt (apologies to Charlotte664), they are valid for 6 months from date of issue and other companies tokens will not be accepted, but 'general' deals tokens will.
    Last edited by RufusFrog; 22-02-2007 at 9:44 AM. Reason: breach of confidentiality on my part
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 20th Feb 07, 10:22 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    RufusFrog, you seem to have inside knowledge. Would you happen to know why the deal vouchers are not accepted on post-graduate courses?
  • RufusFrog
    RufusFrog, you seem to have inside knowledge. Would you happen to know why the deal vouchers are not accepted on post-graduate courses?
    by King Of Fools
    Sorry, I work in the Library at the OU so I only know what's on our Intranet. I can't find any explanation as to why they are not valid on postgrad courses.
  • Sexy_Em
    wow, excellent thanks for this! theres a course I have my eye on. jus need to start spending more at tescos now. lol
  • Sk8er_Girl
    Sorry, I work in the Library at the OU so I only know what's on our Intranet. I can't find any explanation as to why they are not valid on postgrad courses.
    by RufusFrog
    Hi RufusFrog, I also work at the OU and was on the team that implemented this. The reason not to include PG courses was an economic one. The scheme is mainly to attract new students in areas perhaps we don't normally reach. New students generally start with UG courses.

The OU is new to this, we have to start off small and see how it goes.
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 21st Feb 07, 10:59 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    Hi RufusFrog, I also work at the OU and was on the team that implemented this. The reason not to include PG courses was an economic one. The scheme is mainly to attract new students in areas perhaps we don't normally reach. New students generally start with UG courses.

The OU is new to this, we have to start off small and see how it goes.
    by Sk8er_Girl
    That is what I figured. It is more likely to attract the type of student to do a undergraduate course with this kind of deal who would otherwise not consider it. Postgraduate students are more likely to pay full price, anyway, because they want the qualification.

It is still a bit rough on postgraduate students, though!
  • Boatie_Bird
    Another OU insider
    I'm also another OU insider, and I thought that this course in particular would interest moneysavers:

DB123 You and your money: personal finance in context.

Details available from the OU website!

Edit: This course would normally cost 295 so 73.75 in clubcard vouchers.
    Last edited by Boatie_Bird; 22-02-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edited to show course cost in Tesco Vouchers
  • welshy1
    I've got an idea although it will only apply to future purchases: give your parents one of your keyfob cards and their points will accrue to your account. (Checks Tesco website...
    ...they say you are only allowed to give a keyfob to someone in your own household. Clearly this is not anything anyone should try.)
    by RufusFrog

We are going to do that, but sadly that means i cant use the 80+ in vouchers (320 in ou vouchers) we currently have!
  • irnbru1970
    how many clubcard points to do a undergrad degree?
    hi,

sorry I am new to Tesco Clubcard points - can anyone estimate how many clubcard points would be needed to do :

to do one course

to do a full undergraduate degree (360 open university points to graduate!)

many thanks in advance!
    irn
    Lightbulb Moment: January 2007

Bank of Scotland Loan: 6665
    Credit Union Loan: 4506
    Virgin Credit Card: 979
    Cahoot Credit Card: 927
    Debenhams Store Card:170.19
    Usc Store Card:110
    River Island Store Card:130

Debt at
    Lightbulb Moment: 14,083
    Total Debt Now: 13,077

Extremely Proud to be dealing with my debt!
    • liney
    • By liney 1st Mar 07, 10:58 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 8,245 Thanks
    liney
    I was told by OU that the vouchers would be issued with surname only and as long as it was the same as mine i could use them. Unfortunately it was my mother who wanted to give me the vouchers and now im married ive a different surname.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Seraphim
    hi,

sorry I am new to Tesco Clubcard points - can anyone estimate how many clubcard points would be needed to do :

to do one course

to do a full undergraduate degree (360 open university points to graduate!)

many thanks in advance!
    irn
    by irnbru1970
    I think there are way too many permutations to predict! Were you thinking of a particular subject area?

Things like law cost a LOT more than something like psychology. For example, the level 2 60-point course 'understanding law' is currently 1850 to take. However, the level 2 60-point course 'exploring psychology' is currently 565.

If you gave an indication of subject area, it would be easier to predict the approximate cost...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin