Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Dig disaster
    Online estate agents and conveyancing
    • 25th Jan 12, 5:10 PM
    Online estate agents and conveyancing 25th Jan 12 at 5:10 PM
    Hi guys,

I have decided to use an online estate agent to save money. have had all the local ones round to value the house and found them to be incompetent and slimy so online it is

I was impressed by the look of house tree and also emoveuk but cannot find any reviews about them on the net. Has anyone used them? I hear lots of good things about house network but for what I want it is much more than emove and for the same price house tree includes the conveyancing!

Also any recommendations for online conveyancing would be great.

Many thanks folks
Page 1
  • Emmzi
    • 25th Jan 12, 5:14 PM
    • 25th Jan 12, 5:14 PM
    *sets stopwatch for arrival of timmyt*
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • WebGuru
    • 25th Jan 12, 6:01 PM
    • 25th Jan 12, 6:01 PM
    All off the online estate agents are available at www.cheapmove.co.uk

I've used House Network and they were good.

No idea about conveyancing mind you.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 25th Jan 12, 6:03 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 25th Jan 12, 6:03 PM
    • 25th Jan 12, 6:03 PM
    *sets stopwatch for arrival of timmyt*
    Originally posted by Emmzi
    Googler and Richard Webster will pop up too, no doubt.
    Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 25-01-2012 at 7:45 PM.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 25th Jan 12, 6:42 PM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 7,204 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 25th Jan 12, 6:42 PM
    • 25th Jan 12, 6:42 PM
    I have decided to use an online estate agent to save money. have had all the local ones round to value the house and found them to be incompetent and slimy so online it is
    Sad the local ones weren't much good.

How will the online people value your house? What do they know about your area? Looking in Zoopla etc is all very well but it is all automatically generated and may slur over important differences between house types.

There are plenty of other threads about online solicitors and others may comment in due course....
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • googler
    • By googler 25th Jan 12, 7:56 PM
    • 15,339 Posts
    • 10,087 Thanks
    googler
    • 25th Jan 12, 7:56 PM
    • 25th Jan 12, 7:56 PM
    Oh well, since it's expected of me.... 2h46m since OP, I must be slipping.
  • evansmummy
    • 26th Jan 12, 10:16 AM
    • 26th Jan 12, 10:16 AM
    We are using a conveyancer who is in effect an online one, although they just happen to be in my local town.
    They have an online log in so I can check the progress but have kept me up to date via email and the odd phone call.
    I don't know about you but I'm used to dealing with paperwork via email so I don't find it strange or any worse than the traditional way. Maybe it's because I've had a good experience, to date, but I don't see why not, especially if it's saving you money.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 26th Jan 12, 12:30 PM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 7,204 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 26th Jan 12, 12:30 PM
    • 26th Jan 12, 12:30 PM
    We are using a conveyancer who is in effect an online one, although they just happen to be in my local town.
    They have an online log in so I can check the progress but have kept me up to date via email and the odd phone call.
    I don't know about you but I'm used to dealing with paperwork via email so I don't find it strange or any worse than the traditional way. Maybe it's because I've had a good experience, to date, but I don't see why not, especially if it's saving you money.
    The trouble is that it is easy to generalise. There are good bits and bad bits.

I think the general concern is about large organisations that seek to make money by using low grade case handlers and fob people off with progress reports which don't mean anything unless you understand the process anyway.

So there are good bits and bad bits. PPL, for instance. There is a thread about them and much may be true, BUT when dealing with the them you do get the name of a real person who very often is a qualified solicitor and I can get through to their e-mail (unlike Countrywide who don't publicise their e-mail at all, and have on occasion told me they want stuff as a hard copy). So we get stuff going back and forth with PPL by e-mail - try doing that with some others.

On the other hand I e-mailed some enquiries on Saturday 21st to a solicitor in a town in North Yorkshire and have just received a letter asking for them - so, I had to use older generation technology - sent a fax suggesting he looks at his e-mails.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Dig disaster
    • 26th Jan 12, 1:00 PM
    no recommendations?
    • 26th Jan 12, 1:00 PM
    Hi all,

cheers for the replies, the recommendations seem thin on the ground. All the threads seems to say House network is great, but what about the others?

Also with the conveyancing, we used conveyancing network previously, as did one of my best friends and they were a total nightmare. In the end I had to go to a local solicitor, however am still game for trying other online ones, they can't all be bad? or is this the case? Maybe the extra money is worth it in this case??
  • WebGuru
    Dig Disaster

Any update on the Online Estate Agent front? What did you decide in the end?
  • Dig disaster
    hey, still waiting to see if I can find any recommendations for emove or house tree. Anyone know anything about these guys?
    • steve1980
    • By steve1980 29th Jan 12, 8:43 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    steve1980
    The problem with online estate agents (although they are not estate agents are they!) is that they do not have a customer base that they will phone, you're relying on your buyer spotting your property on a website. Is there not a small local estate agent that you would deal with rather than a "multi" (using the term loosely) officed agent?
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • WebGuru
    I have only been involved with 3 house sale/purchases and none of these have used the list of buyers on their books. In my view they are a waste of time.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 30th Jan 12, 7:01 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    The problem with online estate agents (although they are not estate agents are they!)
    Originally posted by steve1980
    Yes they are or they wouldn't be able to advertise on Rightmove.
    • steve1980
    • By steve1980 30th Jan 12, 10:34 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    steve1980
    Yes they are or they wouldn't be able to advertise on Rightmove.
    Originally posted by Hoof Hearted
    Anyone can say they're an estate agent.
  • Mark148
    I have recently used House Network and found there service to be outstanding as an EA, saved a fortune and am now using an online Conveyancer for my purchase of a new property, saving even more. Conveyancing is slower than normal but it is efficient and should be completing this week.

What EA you use would depend on what market you are selling to. My house was for a FTB or small family so they would more than likely conduct their initial searches on Rightmove or Zoopla which all online EA are signed up with. If it was to the 'older' market who are more likely to use the conventional route of local EA then you may be better following sales avenue.

There is always money to be saved and don't by shy in asking.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 31st Jan 12, 8:12 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    Anyone can say they're an estate agent.
    Originally posted by steve1980
    Housenetwork:

We are qualified members of the National Association of Estate Agents, Ombudsman Scheme/Office of Fair Trading.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 31st Jan 12, 8:21 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    I have recently used House Network and found there service to be outstanding as an EA, saved a fortune and am now using an online Conveyancer for my purchase of a new property, saving even more. Conveyancing is slower than normal but it is efficient and should be completing this week.
    Originally posted by Mark148
    We went the same route. We had to do a bit more work ourselves but felt it well worth it to save a fortune in EA and solicitors' fees.
  • timmo65
    I have just used an online conveyancer I would highly recommend...http://www.abodeconveyancing.co.uk

They use Beaumont Legal and I had quick and easy access to a solicitor (conveyancing) and staff. Cheapest around and updates by text/email.

Our purchase was fairly simple though, cash buyer of a flat with no chain. No extra charge for lease work. I would use them again.

p.s. I've got no connection with this company !
    • steve1980
    • By steve1980 31st Jan 12, 11:38 AM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    steve1980
    Housenetwork:

We are qualified members of the National Association of Estate Agents, Ombudsman Scheme/Office of Fair Trading.
    Originally posted by Hoof Hearted
    Again, means nothing. You don't have to be a member of the NAEA. Estate agency is not regulated...yet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

7,630Users online

Martin's Twitter