Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Mr Burns
    How does everyone stay motivated?
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:50 PM
    How does everyone stay motivated? 12th Feb 07 at 1:50 PM
    It seems to be one constant struggle. (nothing like stating the obvious )

In the recent past we had several months were outgoings outweighed income but now things are better. We are still in a whole heap of debt. I dont want to just sit back thinking we are ok now we can manage. I want to rid ourselves of pointless debt.

Does anyone have any motivation tips? Anyone use any form of visulization? (sp)

I am slowly mastering the art when shopping of stopping myself and asking do I really need this? This month this has meant I havent spent £60 on a new pair of gym trainers, £30 on a new gym bag and yesterday I finally talked myself out of buying a second hand motorbike and learning to ride. Probably saved £1000 there.
    Its all the little things like a fiver per day for lunch at work, takeaways and escalating food shopping bills.
    Generally I feel I have enough tools in my box to sort our finances out but any tips to stay on the straight and narrow would be much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 13-02-2007 at 8:01 PM.
    What if the hokey cokey is really whats its all about?
Page 1
  • ancasta
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:52 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:52 PM
    My motivation is : The quicker were debt free, the quicker we can have a baby and the quicker we can emmigrate!

Now THAT is motivation!
    • January20
    • By January20 12th Feb 07, 1:57 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    January20
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:57 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:57 PM
    I have all my financial information on Excel on my computer: all my incoming monies and all my debts. I have a sheet for every debt and I have worked out how much I will be paying off over the next few months. I have targets like when will I reach less than £1000 on my cc for instance, how many payments have I left on my loan.

I find it makes me feel in control and if I feel in control I'm more likely to stick to it. It has also opened my eyes to the amount of interest we pay when we have debts.

I never go shopping for food on a empty stomach and I always go alone with a list and a pencil. DD is too much of a bad influence!

I never take any money to work. I go there to earn money not to spend it. I take my own food and drink into work.

I don't really like clothes or shoe shopping so I'm ok there.

And I try not to let the unexpected get me down.... some days it's easier than others lol!
  • Mr Burns
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:59 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:59 PM
    I agree that is motivation and my wife and I are also in a similar position where we want children. 2 years ago I really was ready for kids but my wife wasnt. Then her friends starting having them and I guess got her broody. Really I should be thankful that we didnt have kids two years ago as our finances were in a far worse state.

The thing with me is that doesnt stop me popping round to subway for lunch at work or getting a takeaway as we are too tired to cook.
  • Broken hearted
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:00 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:00 PM
    Disney holidays, the ones I am dreaming of everytime I see the ads.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Mr Burns
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:02 PM
    [QUOTE=January20]
    I never take any money to work. I go there to earn money not to spend it. I take my own food and drink into work.

QUOTE]

Thats what I am after. Time to start leaving the wallet at home I guess.
    • January20
    • By January20 12th Feb 07, 2:02 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    January20
    I agree that is motivation and my wife and I are also in a similar position where we want children. 2 years ago I really was ready for kids but my wife wasnt. Then her friends starting having them and I guess got her broody. Really I should be thankful that we didnt have kids two years ago as our finances were in a far worse state.

The thing with me is that doesnt stop me popping round to subway for lunch at work or getting a takeaway as we are too tired to cook.
    by Mr Burns
    Invest in a slow cooker. I wouldn't be without mine.

Have a look at the OS board and you will pick up lots of tips to make your life easier like doing a menu plan for the week, etc.
    • January20
    • By January20 12th Feb 07, 2:05 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    January20
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:05 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:05 PM
    [QUOTE=Mr Burns]

QUOTE]

Thats what I am after. Time to start leaving the wallet at home I guess.
    by January20
    Sometimes I think I must be getting a little mean but I find there is always a birthday or a leaving party for someone I don't really know. This week it's been buying Valentine's day roses. Rather that argue with people that I'm single (the answer to which is buy it for your DD ) or I think it's commercial, I just say "sorry I have no money on me"
  • Mr Burns
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:06 PM
    Invest in a slow cooker. I wouldn't be without mine.

Have a look at the OS board and you will pick up lots of tips to make your life easier like doing a menu plan for the week, etc.
    by January20

Do you know this is so typical of us. We bought a slow cooker probably 18 months ago. Never used, still in its box. God I could slap myself sometimes.
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 12th Feb 07, 2:18 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    My motivation is : The quicker were debt free, the quicker we can have a baby and the quicker we can emmigrate!

Now THAT is motivation!
    by ancasta
    Similar for me. My boyf is talking about us emigrating to Oz, and having visited there I would love to go with him. Also the children thing - when (if) we settle down to do this then I want to be totally debt free even though he earns a good salary.

Also to stay motivated I read this board every day - and post on thr 'What have you spent' thread!

Catt xx
  • Plum Pie
    I don't know what state your credit rating is in (apologies if you've posted this elsewhere) but I got into debt from credit cards straight after I left school.

One of the ways I stayed motivated was imagining being debt-free and getting a cashback credit card and making some of the money back that CC companies had taken from me! (I've now done this!)

It's true I learnt a lot about 'the best things in life being free' (real friends, beautiful views in nature etc) but imagining a full ISA was also helped sometimes!

Also (too personal?!) when I was really tired and doing several jobs and tons of overtime I would sometimes play that hip-hop tune in my head'You can do it, put your back into it'. Even though I know the intended meaning is FILTHY, it still motivated me. Maybe you could choose a theme song?

Digression: I remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is forced to do overtime and Mr Burns puts up a sign in his office which says 'Remember you're here forever'. Marge is preggers with Maggie, hence the overtime and when she's born, Homer puts up photos of her so the sign reads 'Remember you're here for her'. I actually cried when I saw this episode ( I was up to my neck in debt at the time and have such respect for DFWs with children.)

• artic fox
    waiting to see the look on my kids faces when we can afford a holiday to disney land

thats my goal
    i have an intermittant connection so sorry if i dont reply straight away
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 303
    *Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!*

*Learning to be a house proud flybaby*

weff level 59ish

you can't get a YES if you don't ask

• tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 12th Feb 07, 2:57 PM
    • 16,853 Posts
    • 44,153 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    We've just decided once again not to start doing up the house but to throw everything at the debt. Thats my motivation, living in an old house and dreaming of comfort and luxury. It also helps to keep a total outstanding at the end of each month, like debt end of Feb for instance and keep a list of these figures so you can watch the debt going down and say in six months time you can look back and see how much youve paid off.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• lynsayjane
    • By lynsayjane 12th Feb 07, 3:39 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    lynsayjane
    i struggle with the motivation thing too and end up buying myself stupid treats to say well done when i've done little!

i'm on hols from work the next two weeks and i plan on spending some of that organising my finances better (as well as the rest of my life) to make it easier to see exactly what i'm achieving. i find it hard when i don't have something physical to say i did this.
  • fayedugmore
    Ive read a couple of the answers to staying motivated and think that you have to find something that works for you. I seem to have incorporated a mixture of the suggestions. I keep a spreadsheet whihc in black and white makes for harsh but a true reading of my finances but it feels great when you can delete a debt off. Focus on something you would like (and need) for motivation i havent had a holiday with my kids since divorcing 6 years ago that i paid for without family help and thats what I want to do and count to ten when it goes a bit pear shaped. Ohh and has a mum i would say if you are in financial difficulties before kids STOP it is a complete a utter drain on your pocket no matter how hard you try. I love my two but with hobbies, clothes, school holidays it mounts up!!
  • fayedugmore
    Ive read a couple of the answers to staying motivated and think that you have to find something that works for you. I seem to have incorporated a mixture of the suggestions. I keep a spreadsheet which in black and white makes for a harsh but true reading of my finances but it feels great when you can delete a debt off. Focus on something you would like (and need) for motivation, i havent had a holiday with my kids since divorcing 6 years ago that i paid for without family help and thats what I want to do. Count to ten when it goes a bit pear shaped. Ohh and has a mum i would say if you are in financial difficulties before kids STOP it is a complete and utter drain on your pocket no matter how hard you try. I love my two but with hobbies, clothes, school holidays it mounts up and fast and the pressure of "Keeping upi with the Jones" will get to you at some point.
    • janiegs
    • By janiegs 12th Feb 07, 3:53 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    janiegs
    The thought of being able to spend the money that I am using every month to pay off my debts on my husband and son. That's what keeps me motivated!
  • PercyPig

Digression: I remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is forced to do overtime and Mr Burns puts up a sign in his office which says 'Remember you're here forever'. Marge is preggers with Maggie, hence the overtime and when she's born, Homer puts up photos of her so the sign reads 'Remember you're here for her'. I actually cried when I saw this episode ( I was up to my neck in debt at the time and have such respect for DFWs with children.)
    by Plum Pie
    Totally off topic but this is my favourite episode of The Simpsons and is called "And Maggie Makes Three". I don't blame you Plum Pie, I get a lump in my throat every time I see the episode
    Dealing with my debt and my weight
    Debt at LBM 22/12/08 33,270
    Debt now 30,100 (9.5% paid off)

2 coins saved and banked = 210
  • dinkylou
    Having little and big goals keeps me motivated.

When I have paid off my personal debt then I shall be saving enough to take a year out and go travel before I am too old. Thats my big long term goal and keeps me going.

However I make myself little small goals and treat myself if I achieve them. That keeps me going and I watch my totals falling on my spreadsheet which keeps me going from week to week.
  • southernscouser
    This month this has meant I havent spent 60 on a new pair of gym trainers
    by Mr Burns
    You're doing better than me! But to be fair I did get 10% off them coz they had a mark on them and they were already reduced!

I have no excuse for the other pair that cost me 85 though!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin