Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Channard
    Poundland Bargain Thread - post your finds here!
    • 11th Feb 07, 4:54 PM
    Poundland Bargain Thread - post your finds here! 11th Feb 07 at 4:54 PM
    Given that there's a Home Bargains thread but not a Poundland bargains thread I thought it was time to start one. There's a load of excellent stuff to be had there, dirt cheap. Here are some of the things I've seen for a measly quid:

Computer Stuff:

USB cables
    Ethernet cables
    Firewire cables
    USB SD card reader/pen drive
    4-Port non-powered USB hubs.
    EDIT: Yeah, duh.. I forgot about the hubs. They're great for putting on the back USB port on an X-Box 360.

Misc
    'Robot Transformers' toys - knock offs of the Transformers Robot Masters series.
    Multivitamin tablets
    12 tubes of Superglue
    4 Lizard-Shaped in-car air fresheners.

Anyone care to add their picks?
    Last edited by Channard; 11-02-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Page 1
    • kenr
    • By kenr 11th Feb 07, 5:55 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    kenr
    • 11th Feb 07, 5:55 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 5:55 PM
    Local one has 25 sheets of 4x6" sticky backed photo paper, not sure what I am going to use it for but I bought a pack ;-)
    Registered Linux user #497422
  • star1
    • 11th Feb 07, 5:59 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 5:59 PM
    poundland IT bits are good value for a quid - including headphone/mike - great for skpe, messenger etc ....

Never seen the USB SD reader adaptor? - which branch did you find this in? (I could do with one!!) - thanks !!
    • Dack
    • By Dack 11th Feb 07, 6:20 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Dack
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:20 PM
    Wireless phone handsfree kit saw yesterday - works by transmitting audio to car radio much like the Belkin Tunecast thing for MP3 players. Fixed frequency though, check pack for value.
    They promised the earth...and delivered mud. Technically though it did meet the spec.
    • rdwarr
    • By rdwarr 11th Feb 07, 6:21 PM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 6,500 Thanks
    rdwarr
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:21 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:21 PM
    Local one has 25 sheets of 4x6" sticky backed photo paper, not sure what I am going to use it for but I bought a pack ;-)
    by kenr
    Don't use it for printing photos on - we've tried with many different settings and concluded it's a waste of ink
    Can I help?
  • Kilty
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:25 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:25 PM
    If those USB SD card reader/pen drive things are widely available they're a good buy.

Cheapest I've found them is £1.62(ish), direct from Hong Kong (LEDShoppe).

Can't go wrong with 4 port USB hubs for £1 either.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 11th Feb 07, 6:34 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    antenna
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:34 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:34 PM
    Hula Hoops 12 pack.........Buy one get one free.....in romford last week.....or was it 99p shop in romford...........either way i've ate them all.....and wish i could buy more........i'm back in spain now......
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Channard
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:43 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:43 PM
    poundland IT bits are good value for a quid - including headphone/mike - great for skpe, messenger etc ....

Never seen the USB SD reader adaptor? - which branch did you find this in? (I could do with one!!) - thanks !!
    by star1
    Yeah, the IT bits a great. Avoid their MP3 headphones, though, they're just rubbish. As for the SD readers, there were loads of them in Bolton Poundland.

The one I got definitely works with a 1GB SD card

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    Last edited by Channard; 11-02-2007 at 7:09 PM.
  • robonz
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:55 PM
    • 11th Feb 07, 6:55 PM
    do test the SD card readers, i bought 8 of them and 3 were faulty! but the ones that work, work well. not sure what size they go up to as I tried a 4Gb SD card and they can't read it but had no problem reading a 512Mb card. So I'm guessing it can read up to a 1Gb or 2Gb cards? Anyone tested these size cards?

They are a great way to make of use of replaced smaller cards.
    thanks to everyone who has thanked me!
    • Pete.g
    • By Pete.g 11th Feb 07, 7:06 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Pete.g
    Always found the padded manila envelopes to be very good value for money compared to the post office as well as the brown parcel tape (2rolls = 1)
    I'll get me coat!
    • cattie
    • By cattie 11th Feb 07, 7:53 PM
    • 7,915 Posts
    • 5,422 Thanks
    cattie
    For anyone into crafting, the large 12x12 scrapbooking kits are excellent.

You get approx 6 sheets good quality backing paper, various stickers, plus printed embellishments including frames & borders. Great for cardmakers & scrapbookers alike.

They do different themes, ie, birthdays, wedding etc & I've seen very similar items being sold on one of the shopping channels, for a much higher price of course.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • this is it
    • By this is it 11th Feb 07, 8:09 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    this is it
    bought an indoor ariel for kids tv does the job really good.
    foam sticky pads brilliant for arts and crafts.
    floor tiles.
  • cornwood
    can some1 post a pic of the sd card reader + its packaging cause iv looked in the Reading branch + cant find any????
    at least i think there wasnt any.
  • Channard
    can some1 post a pic of the sd card reader + its packaging cause iv looked in the Reading branch + cant find any????
    at least i think there wasnt any.
    by cornwood
    I couldn't get a pic of it in its packaging, but here's the next best thing....

• alchemista
    They have acyclovir-based cold sore cream for £1 which is great for a drug like that. The one I went to, it was a relatively small white-background box.
  • Sallys Savings
    Pack of 2 Laundry balls - to soften your washing in the tumble dryer. They let the hot air circulate so you dont need it on for so long. The clothes dont come out all static and clinging together by using these. I've seen them in Boots etc for £9.99.
  • Little Davel
    do test the SD card readers, i bought 8 of them and 3 were faulty! but the ones that work, work well. not sure what size they go up to as I tried a 4Gb SD card and they can't read it but had no problem reading a 512Mb card. So I'm guessing it can read up to a 1Gb or 2Gb cards? Anyone tested these size cards?

They are a great way to make of use of replaced smaller cards.
    by robonz
    yep ! used a 2 gb Viking card in the reader and no probs there ! Read on another forum that someone used a 4 gb and reckons these things do 12mb/sec, which is fast ! very fast for a quid.....

These certainly do act as a pen flash drive and I have purchased a handful and all of them work.... but make sure you put the card in properly (label faces the same way as the red led/white lettering.

I notice some sites sell these at 3.99 del.
    • kenr
    • By kenr 12th Feb 07, 9:18 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    kenr
    Don't use it for printing photos on - we've tried with many different settings and concluded it's a waste of ink
    by rdwarr
    I tried with a pic and it was ok, not glossy excellent, matt and better than normal paper.
    I am using a canon ip4000 and tried printing it with glossy paper selected, next time I will just use normal photo paper setting.

BTW Their 4x6" 25 sheets of normal glossy photo paper I find excellent, not tried the A4 as I have plenty of that.
    Also they did have (may again) have packs of cut to size screen protectors (for ipods/phones etc) got several last time
    Last edited by kenr; 12-02-2007 at 9:24 AM.
    Registered Linux user #497422
  • bluetillidie
    i was thinking of stocking up on the USB cables and card readers and padded envelopes very good value if they dont work the shops will exchange with no problems so just test your products first.
  • $am1965
    In Northampton they have New Skin by Germolene, its like a glue that you spread on cuts instead of plasters, expiry date is jun 2007, but in Boots its nearly 3, excellent for children who pick plasters off
    Sam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

1,195Users online

Martin's Twitter