Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • HopeElizzy
    • By HopeElizzy 16th Mar 06, 11:10 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    HopeElizzy
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:10 AM
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:10 AM
    I use a Jeanette Orrey (the dinner lady) recipe.

Olive Oil
    1kg (2 and a quarter lb)Mince
    175g (6oz) Wholemeal breadcrumbs
    2 rashers bacon, chopped
    115g (4oz) Red Onion
    55g (2oz) Red Pepper
    1 tsp chopped fresh Thyme
    55g (2oz) pine kernels
    1 egg, beaten

Preheat the oven 180/350/Gas 4 and grease a 450g (1lb) loaf tin.

Gently cook the bacon, onion and red pepper until soft then add to the mince and breadcrumbs along with the thyme and pine kernels. Pour over the egg and mix well.
    Put the mixture into the tin and cover with greaseproof. Cook for 40-45 mins taking off the greaseproof for the last 10 minutes.

This always goes down well in our house!
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • winnie81
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:23 AM
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:23 AM
    That sounds just like what I'm after although my mum wouldn't know what a pine kernal was I love them

Thank you
    • Swan
    • By Swan 16th Mar 06, 11:31 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:31 AM
    Grandma's Meat Roll (Meat Loaf)
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:31 AM
    this is my Grandma's traditional recipe & tastes much nicer than the ingredients sound
    she used to make it in a meat roll jar (a straight-sided earthenware jar specifically for the purpose, but I just use a pudding basin) & it came out in a cylindrical shape & the circular slices looked really nice on the plate

Ilb good quality minced beef
    1/2 lb minced bacon
    1 small onion finely chopped
    10 cream crackers or 1 1/2-2oz fresh breadcrumbs
    1 egg, beaten
    salt & pepper

mix everything well, adding egg last to bind it together
    turn into a basin & steam for 2 hours
    serve hot or cold

you could also bake it or microwave it, but I wouldn't know for how long :confused:
    also strikes me you could probably do it in the slow cooker, might just try that myself
    Last edited by Swan; 16-03-2006 at 2:20 PM. Reason: sorting title
  • filigree
    • 16th Mar 06, 12:23 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 12:23 PM
    you could also bake it or microwave it, but I wouldn't know for how long :confused:
    also strikes me you could probably do it in the slow cooker, might just try that myself
    by Swan
    I've done meatloaf in the slowcooker successfully. You need to put some water in the crock so it doesn't cook dry, and cover the meatloaf with foil otherwise moisture drips into it and you get soggy meatloaf.

I use a vaguely US technique with mine if it's cooked in the oven. When it is mostly cooked, I take it out of the loaf tin and rest it on a baking sheet. Then I spread barbecue sauce all over the outside and put it back in the oven for a while, the sauce bakes on and gives a nice sticky finish.

Or, if you are my idiot husband, you take it out of the tin, rest it DIRECTLY ON THE OVEN SHELF and wonder why it all goes wrong
    • jockettuk
    • By jockettuk 1st May 06, 7:27 AM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    jockettuk
    • 1st May 06, 7:27 AM
    meatloaf and nutroast
    • 1st May 06, 7:27 AM
    looking to make meatloaf and at sometime nutroast. oh loves them and never made them, so want to give it a try before i give it to him lol..

so if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful thanks..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • AussieLass
    • 1st May 06, 9:02 AM
    • 1st May 06, 9:02 AM
    never heard of nut roast so will keep an eye on this thread. I have a really nice recipe for Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce. I can post it in recipe thread if you want me to.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• halloweenqueen
    • 1st May 06, 9:39 AM
    • 1st May 06, 9:39 AM
    www.hillbillyhousewife.com has two budget meatloaf recipes or try www.recipezaar.com
    Hope that helps!
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 1st May 06, 10:01 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    • 1st May 06, 10:01 AM
    • 1st May 06, 10:01 AM
    Nut loaves are easy and you can shove in what you like, to add to a basic mixture.

The basic mix is:
    ground nuts..any sort
    breadcrumbs ..the soft sort

I also sometimes add wheatgerm, if i've got it, or crumbled weetabix.

To this dry mix, add some 'wet stuff' e.g.
    fried, chopped onions
    chopped/grated and cooked veggies e.g. carrots, swede, mushrooms
    You can also add a beaten egg ( but we're vegan here).

also add anything else that takes your fancy e.g
    cooked frozen peas,
    tinned kidney beans
    baked beans
    toms

Don't forget other flavourings e.g. mixed herbs, S&P, marmite, tom puree, mustard, to taste.

The resulting mix needs to be very sticky..ie. hard to stir with a wooden spoon. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs. If too dry, add soy sauce, gravy mix, stock.

The place this stodge firmly pressed down into a pudding bowl ( one that will fit into your slow cooker).
    Cover with pleated foil, securely.
    Add boiling water into the space between this bowl, and the slow cooker crock.
    Slow cook on low for about 6 - 10 hours.

Tastes great!
    • jockettuk
    • By jockettuk 1st May 06, 5:25 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    jockettuk
    thanks everyone
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • Julieboo
    meatloaf
    Hi all,
    As a kid my mum was always cooking up meals to save money and she could make a fantastic meatloaf. So now I'm getting back into cooking and after not having meatloaf for decades I'd like to make one. So i wondered what's the best meatloaf recipes out there...any ideas??
    Thanks to MSE and all the moneysaving tips I can now work PT (instead of FT) to pay the bills and still have fun!!
  • Mrs(no)money
    I have a recipe from an old cookbook my mum was given about thirty years ago. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a go. Sounds a bit strange what with the cornflakes but you could experiment and probably improve it! This is it, word for word!!

6 oz streaky bacon
    8oz cooked meat (minced)
    packet bread sauce mix
    1/2 oz cornflakes, crushed
    1oz onion, chopped
    1/2 tsp mixed herbs
    1 tbs tomato puree
    1 egg
    1/4 pint milk
    salt n pepper

Preheat oven no 6, 400F
    Butter a 5 inch cake tin or 1 lb loaf tin and line with the bacon rashers
    Mix together the minced meat, bread sauce mix cornflake crumbs, onions, herbs and puree.
    Beat the egg, add milk and seasoning and stir into meat mixture. Beat well,
    Turn into tin cover with foil.
    Bake for 1-1 1/4 hours.
    Turn out and serve with veg
    Good served cold with salad too.

"This is an excellent dish for using up the remains of the weekend joint. It can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator until required or wrapped in foil and frozen if you have a home freezer"!!!!!

Good luck!
    Experience is the toughest teacher because she gives the test first then the lesson
    DFW Nerd 196 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS.
    Coins found whilst dog walking 7.56 Sun-Fri challenge: 10.00 - Spent 0.00
  • Queenie
    Here you go I posted the one below earlier this year on this thread and there's another in the Old Style Recipe Index and there's also a scrummy Apple Meatloaf posted by Aussielass

Beef Loaf
    1lb lean minced beef
    1/2lb sausage meat
    I chopped onion
    1oz fresh breadcrumbs
    1 Tbsp each of: tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce (could substitute ketchup and brown sauce )
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    pepper
    1 egg, beaten

Line a 1 lb loaf tin with foil.
    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl then press mixture lightly inot the prepared tin and cover with foil.

If you like you can freeze it at this point; it can be defrosted overnight in the fridge.

Put in the preheated oven, 180C/350F/Gas 4, for 1 to 1 hrs or until the loaf shrinks from the sides of the tin. Serve hot or cold. Serves 4-6.

~ I alter it sometimes by substituting the sausagemeat for bacon bits (you can buy those cheaply in supermarkets.

~ you can eke out the meat by substituting mushrooms/carrots

~ you can add a "topping" of cheesy mashed potato before cooking (add grated cheese to the mash and some mustard instead of butter )
    Other additions for a mashed potato topping: sub the minced beef for minced pork and add apple sauce to make the mash instead of butter; add a teaspoon of horseradish to the mash for a beef loaf; add some rosemary to a loaf made with minced lamb.

~ alter the seasonings you use to give a meatloaf a different touch: chopped chillies give it a pleasant "kick"

~ alter the mince from beef to lamb/pork/turkey but keep an eye on the cooking times and test the centre with a metal skewer to see if it comes out "clean" and the juices run clear to be certain it's cooked thoroughly.

Once you know the basics, you can adapt and alter the recipe to suit your personal preferences and experiment to make the recipe uniquely yours.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • halloweenqueen
    try www.hillbillyhousewife.com and click on recipes.
  • halloweenqueen
    ps try pork instead of minced beef as well - its really nice, the meatloaf on hillbilly housewife says to put water in - I made it with and without and its better without.
  • RubyMurray
    There is a whole forum dedicated to meatloaf at FabulousFoods.com here:
    http://www.fabulousfoods.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowBoard&Board=meatloaf
    Swagbucks earnings since 22/05/2012 135 paypal cash
    Clicksense earnings since 16/10/2012 $100.56 paypal cash
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 14th Sep 06, 11:02 AM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    HI
    This has got me thinking- does anyone bulk out the meat with lentils and veg?
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Feb 07, 2:01 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 5,513 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Meatloaf
    I've taken a lump of this out of the freezer. I usually make hamburgers on the George with it, but want to stick it in the oven.

What temp should I have it? I'm guessing it will take about an hour?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - 180,235.03
    (End 2018) - 169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target 160,000
  • Mice_Elf
    Uhm...think that I stick my meatloaf on at about 160 deg C for about 45 minutes. I used 500g of mince though, not sure if that would make a difference.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Feb 07, 2:30 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 5,513 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I made mine with 600g, so hopefully should be okay.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - 180,235.03
    (End 2018) - 169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target 160,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,996Users online

Martin's Twitter