Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 14,035Posts
    • 70,593Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 303
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 6th Dec 18, 10:27 PM
    • 28,596 Posts
    • 15,830 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Beauty and the beast 3d starring emma watson. Very enjoyable despite being a musical. The 3d is really good. The ending gives an odd disappointment because the characters are more likeable cursed.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Dec 18, 8:07 AM
    • 25,819 Posts
    • 68,299 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The Equaliser

Well, half of it very strangely. After enjoying The Equaliser 2, I spotted and recorded the original some weeks ago. As often happens, the showing was in two parts, with the news in between.

We decided to watch it last night and kept waiting for the titles. Nope. Enjoyed it anyway and it had clearly ended.

Of course, I thought I tapped the wrong recording, but I hadn't. The damn thing was in the wrong order.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 12th Dec 18, 11:08 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,368 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    An eye for an eye.

Documentary on amazon prime. About a white supremicist from Texas who, after 9/11, went on a shooting spree to kill anyone who looked 'arab'.

He was caught and sentenced with capital punishment.

One guy he shot survived, and the film maker (who looks and sounds 'arab') got to know him and over the course of the film they built a relationship. Slowly this purpetrator became educated and changed his views. The victim campaigned hard to save his life.

I found it very moving and humbling.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 13th Dec 18, 12:41 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Les79
    "Roman J. Israel, Esq" is a decent film! Fairly recent and relatively low budget, but has some good plot points.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 14th Dec 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,368 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Three Identical Strangers

My goodness, this is definitely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Triplets who were adopted into 3 separate families and did not know about each other (neither did their adoptive parents) found one another by sheer coincidence.

Then they, along with their adoptive parents wanted answers from the adoption agency and what unravels from then on is very dark, disturbing, tragic and sad.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Dec 18, 4:44 PM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 12,772 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Robin Hood (2018) - a curious dog's dinner of a movie. It's fast-paced with some great action sequences. The bits between the action involve various plausible political intrigues. The cast members often seem to have a lack of consistency on their interpretation of the material, though - badly so. There is also a contradiction between a strong US cast (Jamie Foxx and F Murray Abraham), an "up and coming" UK cast including Taron Egerton and a couple of random Australians for the mix (Tim Minchin (yes, the comedy musician), and Ben Mendelsohn who reprises his previous roles as "evil ruler #1" (Ready Player One, Star Wars: Rogue One,...). There are also some huge liberties taken with the historic detail (arrow machine-guns anyone?) and some massive nods to all sorts of credible reference material (Assassins' Creed, Crouching Tiger..., The Matrix, V for Vendetta, etc. etc.).

With hindsight, what I really wanted to see was the film that Jamie Foxx thought he was in (now that would be great).

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - You can't help but love the animation, with its massive deference to its "comic-book" origins. Bit light on plot, though - certainly not enough material for its nearly 2 hour run-time. Looks great in 3D, although some of the stylistic touches look too much like 3D artefacts and overall many of the scenes are too dark once filtered-down by the 3D glasses.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14-12-2018 at 4:50 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mrs lds
    • By mrs lds 14th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 22,264 Thanks
    mrs lds
    The good lie is an incredible film.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Dec 18, 9:46 AM
    • 25,819 Posts
    • 68,299 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Bohemian Rapsody

Managed to see it at last. Loved it!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 20th Dec 18, 3:32 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Rise of the foot soldier Part 3 the Pat Tate story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wdn8jw17A
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 27th Dec 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,368 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Tickled.

Watched this on Amazon Prime over the xmas period. A new Zealand journalist comes across a youtube video of a guy who gets tickled by other guys and is surprised this was a hit on youtube so he writes to the media company behinds this to find out more and gets a very rude an insulting response which triggers his curiosity more on this.

He investigates further and uncovers a disturbing world behind this.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 27th Dec 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 10,673 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Bird Box on Netflix.

It was alright, Sandra Bullock is really good though. It's better than The Happening, which isn't saying much I know, but not as good as A Quiet Place.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 28th Dec 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,368 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    The Red Pill

Real eye opening documentary about men’s rights activists. The film maker is a female who claimed to be a feminist. After talking to some men, who gives some real hard hitting facts and accounts, started to see (along with the viewer) how much injustice men face just for being a man, and how disposable their lives are regarded. They are expected to die in combat, more die in the work place, more die by suicide, lack of help support and resources are given to issues that affect men such as domestic violence and homelessness, automatically lose out on reproductive and parental rights, serve longer jail time for the same crime and those are just a few things. It also looks into paternity fraud and laws around this almost always favour the women.

I find it heart breaking. I’m glad I’m not a man.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 28th Dec 18, 10:50 PM
    • 28,596 Posts
    • 15,830 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Peter rabbit.
    I thought it was a bit twisted for a film about fluffy bunnies targeted at kids. For example the humans are actual actors. One of these has a heart attack and dies. its not played for laughs and yet the hero dances about laughing. What effect is this odd scene going to have on young kids. Then later the bunnies do all types of violence towards a man and again its mostly not done in a humourous way, electrocuting etc.
    Overall the film is an ok watch but nothing special.

Rampage.
    Far fetched action movie with big monsters. This is much more fun than other recent big monster movies, godzilla, pacific rim. Worth a watch.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 29th Dec 18, 11:39 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just watched "I Tonya" , about the skater Tonya harding , and the attack on her rival skater.Very hard hitting , but brilliant characterisation
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 31st Dec 18, 6:10 PM
    • 14,035 Posts
    • 70,593 Thanks
    I luv cats
    The Equalizer 2 2018

Enjoyable action with our friend 'Denzel'

Story unoriginal though

Secret Santa 2017

Bearable silliness

Old scores settled
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 3rd Jan 19, 8:45 PM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 12,772 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The Favourite - Audacious and quirky Queen Anne bio-pic. The three-way tension between ailing Queen Anne (Olivia Coleman), the Duchess of Marlborough (Rachel Weisz) and upstart-in-court Abigail Hill (Emma Stone) is finely detailed and at times darkly visceral.

On general release.

(15) Cert for very strong language and (implied) sexual content.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 03-01-2019 at 8:47 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 3rd Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 5,427 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    Birdbox.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 4th Jan 19, 12:58 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Tallaght
    YARDIE Directed by Idris Elba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItW6evHbE8
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 13th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 14,035 Posts
    • 70,593 Thanks
    I luv cats
    The Festival (2018)

Not too bad, some funny moments

Forget about this film but was reminded of it on The Inbetweeners 10 yr Anniversary show.
    • pugsley29
    • By pugsley29 22nd Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 2,453 Thanks
    pugsley29
    Green Book

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6966692/
    Last edited by pugsley29; 22-01-2019 at 9:09 PM.
    Wishing you a lucky 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

773Posts Today

6,171Users online

Martin's Twitter