Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,991Posts
    • 70,053Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 297
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 11th Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 10,814 Posts
    • 11,220 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Ant-Man and the Wasp - at the more frivolous end of Marvel films, with good pace and action scenes. Full of anty goodness and other scenes with ludicrously mixed scales.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 11th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Extinction - another of those films dropped by a studio and picked up by Netflix. It's a sci-Fi alien invasion film by the same writer as Arrival (although not quite in the same league), and with a pretty decent twist about half way through. Also notable for having Hispanic leads, for those interested in diversity. Well worth a watch.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 11th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 15,933 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Extinction - another of those films dropped by a studio and picked up by Netflix. It's a sci-Fi alien invasion film by the same writer as Arrival (although not quite in the same league), and with a pretty decent twist about half way through. Also notable for having Hispanic leads, for those interested in diversity. Well worth a watch.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I really liked this one, didn't see the twist coming at all.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 11th Aug 18, 6:19 PM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Ready Player One (2018)

Excellent, enjoyable, refreshing film

Excellent effects and use of VR.

One of the contests game system and some characters along the way

Great cast
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    I bought this one on 4K Blu-ray today and we'll probably watch it tonight.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Ready Player One - a fantabulous film in every way. The film that Valerian was trying to be. You also need to keep your eyes peeled because the film is crammed with pop culture references. I particularly loved the Delorean.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 12th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Thanks for that recommendation. I had seen the trailer previously and wasn't going to bother watching it, but did this afternoon following your post and am glad I did. Even with being forewarned about the twist, I didn't figure out what it was, and I am usually quite good with those.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 13th Aug 18, 12:54 AM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Thanks for that recommendation. I had seen the trailer previously and wasn't going to bother watching it, but did this afternoon following your post and am glad I did. Even with being forewarned about the twist, I didn't figure out what it was, and I am usually quite good with those.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Glad you enjoyed it.

We watched Baby Driver again tonight. Great film with a great soundtrack.

My mum also forced me to watch the original Mamma Mia. It was quite fun but the plot was paper thin and a lot of the singing was utterly terrible (in particular Pierce Brosnan). I can see why people like it but it's not really by cuppa.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 24,933 Posts
    • 65,142 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Grrrrr!

Just wasted two hours of my life, 9 and a meerkats code on The Festival.

I needed a comedy, but this was puerile.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 15th Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    • 13,991 Posts
    • 70,053 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Grrrrr!

Originally posted by pollypenny

Prob wait for rental, Inbetweeners are funny if you can stand the toilet humour
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 15th Aug 18, 7:44 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Grrrrr!

Originally posted by pollypenny
    Thanks. I was thinking of going to see this, but after seeing the extremely unfunny segment shown on The Last Leg and your comment, I may not bother. I'll be interested to hear the review on 5Live on Friday.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 24,933 Posts
    • 65,142 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Thanks. I was thinking of going to see this, but after seeing the extremely unfunny segment shown on The Last Leg and your comment, I may not bother. I'll be interested to hear the review on 5Live on Friday.
    Originally posted by Spidernick

It was actually horrible. Lots of obvious, and detailed, sex, but crude and blatant with absolutely no romance or tenderness.

Very few laughs.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 10,814 Posts
    • 11,220 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Brigsby Bear - a young man with a complex backstory [spoilers] tackles his future life by taking on the task of completing a kids TV series that has been his permanent companion.

Charming, quirky comedy-drama with cameos by Mark Hamill, Greg Kinnear, Claire Danes and Andy Samberg.

Sky Movies / Now TV
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17-08-2018 at 8:53 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 18th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 13,991 Posts
    • 70,053 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Death Wish (2018)

Enjoyable film though 'Bronson' (Original D.W.) is the master.

Bit slow to start, though love the action when it got going!
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 18th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 28,197 Posts
    • 15,465 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The mountain between us.
    I would avoid this, i thought it was terrible. Its stupid and not even particularly entertaining.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Coco - truly excellent Pixar film. Exceptional in every way. Great animation, brilliant heart-warming story, lovely music, diverse cast. See it.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Aug 18, 4:28 AM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Terminal (Amazon Prime) - A confusing and bizarre attempt at film noir starring Margot Robbie, Simon Pegg, Mike Myers and Dexter Fletcher. It's a sort of cross between Blade Runner and Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels, but nowhere near as good as either. Robbie tries her hardest and steals every scene she's in but I found the convoluted plot very hard to follow. The film is best described as a "revenge thriller" but once you figure out who is getting revenge on who you've kind of stopped caring. It looks great though.

A Quiet Place - A genuinely scary thriller about monsters who are blind but have exceptional hearing, and so the only way humans can survive is by being near silent. Starring Emily Blunt and her real-life husband (who also directs). Don't watch it with the dish washer running because much of the film is silent.
    Last edited by onlyroz; 19-08-2018 at 4:36 AM.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 19th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 13,991 Posts
    • 70,053 Thanks
    I luv cats
    A Quiet Place (2018)

Enjoyable suspense original idea

Edge of seat
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Aug 18, 11:18 PM
    • 14,570 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Tower Heist (Netflix) - A comedy heist film from 2011 starring Ben Stiller, Matthew Broderick and Eddie Murphy. Stiller plays the manager of an exclusive tower block (think Trump Tower)when the owner tries to run away with the pension fund of all the employees (among with other assets that the FBI are trying to get back). Stiller and a bunch of the usual misfits plots an elaborate scheme to steal $20m from a safe in the penthouse where the owner is being held under house arrest. Great fun in an undemanding way.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 20th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 13,991 Posts
    • 70,053 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Game Night (2018)

Ok'ish

Some funny mo's though some cringe-worthy

Couple of twists.

Squeaky toy
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 21st Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 13,991 Posts
    • 70,053 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Truth or Dare (2018)

Bearable but not as exciting as thought it would be

Few Creepy moments

Slightly boring moments
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

67Posts Today

2,518Users online

Martin's Twitter