Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,959Posts
    • 68,883Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 296
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 28th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Mission Impossible: Fallout is a worthy addition to the franchise. It is long at almost two-and-a-half hours, but I didn't notice the time and enjoyed it a lot. The action sequences were as good as ever and it made me want to go back and watch the earlier films again. Also I didn't recognise Henry Cavill (Superman), as with the beard I thought he was Jamie Dornan (from The Fall) when watching the trailer.

(As an aside, I liked the way American audiences are beginning to be credited with a bit of intelligence, so we got 'Berlin', rather than the rather obvious 'Berlin, Germany' that usually applies to every American film!).

As for The Incredibles 2, I have to agree with onlyroz. I thought it was a really good story and even better than the first film. Jack Jack especially was a revelation and had many of the best scenes. As a dad, I could also relate to Mr. Incredible with how 'math' has changed since I was at school and juggling kids generally.

Both these films are well worth a watch and there a more blockbusters to come over the summer.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 28th Jul 18, 11:10 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Mamma Mia Here We Go Again - Although not as good as the first (I don't think anyone was expecting it to be), it's still cheery and uplifting.

Joy - Finally got around to watching this on Netflix. A true story of the woman who invented the self wringing mop (I have one of these) and her struggle to get it on to the market. Not the best film but as usual, Jennifer Lawrence's performance was brilliant.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 29th Jul 18, 12:48 AM
    • 14,253 Posts
    • 27,271 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Mamma Mia Here We Go Again - Although not as good as the first (I don't think anyone was expecting it to be), it's still cheery and uplifting.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    My mum took my daughter to see Mamma Mia 2, and she was hopelessly lost because she hasn't seen the first one. I haven't seen either so can't really comment.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 30th Jul 18, 12:32 AM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 68,883 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Peter Rabbit (2018)

Lovely, sweet movie.

Nice touches, cute characters and funny moments. (plant pots for one! )

Watched free via Chili (welcome bonus)
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 30th Jul 18, 7:09 PM
    • 15,474 Posts
    • 40,426 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    Mission Impossible Fallout. As Spidernick posted, a lot of decent action, humerous script, didn't feel like 2.5hrs. The camera work and scenary are superb, Paris and London never looked so damn good and the helicopter climax in Kasmir mountains was jaw dropping.

Story doesn't hold up to much scrutiny though. (Spoilers)

Hunt leaves a suitcase of nuclear bombs by his car to go and rescue his buddy and returns to find the bombs stolen. D'oh! Also, when transporting the worlds most wanted terrorist, why fly him into Paris and then take him on a motorcade journey where he can be attacked? Why not just fly him to where they were going to imprison him ?
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 30th Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 15,474 Posts
    • 40,426 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    Also caught Skyscraper over the weekend - its Dwayne Johnson film, so it was fun, big hearted and action packed.

Ridiculous story that didn't even bother to try and explain some of its own internal logic (like the ONLY way to reboot the system is to climb outside at 150 storeys high and reach overly complicated spinning and swirling turbine thingy - talk about a design flaw - not to mention climbing a 100 storey crane, by hand, in under 10 minutes - but its not trying to educate me, its trying to entertain me and it did that perfectly. Thank you Mr Rock.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 1st Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again tonight. I was seriously outnumbered by females in the packed screening I was at, but I loved it and it made me laugh and cry. The younger versions of the main actors and actresses (or are we not allowed to use that word any more?) all did a good job and managed to pick up traits of their older selves to differing extents. Some of the songs were a little too 'forced in' at times, but I didn't mind and just enjoyed the ride. What with this and Book Club, Andy Garcia also seems to be making a new living as the suave older gentleman!

It's a while since I've seen the original, so cannot really compare the two, but I'm sure this one would hold its own. As Simon Mayo said in his 5Live interview with a couple of the stars, this film is a welcome anecdote to all the madness going on in the world at present, and I cannot disagree! Highly recommended.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• gardner1
    • By gardner1 2nd Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 3,816 Thanks
    gardner1
    Finally got round to watching

Ready Player One.......well worth a watch if you haven't seen it
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 3rd Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    • 7,817 Posts
    • 17,240 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I watched Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again tonight. I was seriously outnumbered by females in the packed screening I was at, but I loved it and it made me laugh and cry. The younger versions of the main actors and actresses (or are we not allowed to use that word any more?) all did a good job and managed to pick up traits of their older selves to differing extents. Some of the songs were a little too 'forced in' at times, but I didn't mind and just enjoyed the ride. What with this and Book Club, Andy Garcia also seems to be making a new living as the suave older gentleman!

It's a while since I've seen the original, so cannot really compare the two, but I'm sure this one would hold its own. As Simon Mayo said in his 5Live interview with a couple of the stars, this film is a welcome anecdote to all the madness going on in the world at present, and I cannot disagree! Highly recommended.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Lol - I was delighted to be invited to watch a film next week but before I had a chance to say 'Anything but Mamma Mia!', guess what?

I'm assuming I'll pick up the general gist despite having not seen either of it's predecessors!
    I feel 100x better since I gave up work
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 4th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Ant Man and The Wasp is great fun. Knowing there was no point trying to compete with the scale of The Avengers: Infinity War, Marvel shrewdly didn't try and used a lot of humour in this film, to very good effect. Stan Lee makes his obligatory cameo appearance and, as usual, remember to stay to the very end for additional scenes (although the post-credit sequence is very short and it is the mid-credit one you really need to see).

If you have seen the trailer, then there is a bit where The Wasp questions why she should 'go low' while Ant Man goes high when she has wings. Unless I switched off momentarily, I don't think this bit was in the film, so if you watch the movie and it is there (or if it's not) please let me know, so I can confirm whether I am finally going nuts!

p.s. OldMotherTucker, there is only one earlier Mamma Mia movie. I had forgotten what happened in that, but it didn't seem to matter. From memory, the film centred around a daughter, who was about to get married who didn't know which of three men were her father. If you take the three dads bit on board then that should help you understand the second film.

Sky? Believe in better.

• I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 4th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 68,883 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Mayhem (2017)

Just about bearable, though scraping the bottom of the barrel

Over-hyped!

Usual office (dog eat dog) culture !
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    The Loft - on Netflix. It's a crime mystery thriller with several twists and turns. I really liked it.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 5th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    The Loft - on Netflix. It's a crime mystery thriller with several twists and turns. I really liked it.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    I've just been trawling through Netflix trying to find something to watch, so thanks for this, sounds good!
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I've just been trawling through Netflix trying to find something to watch, so thanks for this, sounds good!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Great.
    Let me know what you think once you've seen it.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 6th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 68,883 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Goodbye Christopher Robin (2017)

Sweet film though sad moments.

Good to see some back-story to AA Milne etc.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 7th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 68,883 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Ready Player One (2018)

Excellent, enjoyable, refreshing film

Excellent effects and use of VR.

One of the contests game system and some characters along the way

Great cast
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 8th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 24,375 Posts
    • 63,697 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Mission Impossible: the Fallout.

Thoroughly enjoyed for about 90 minutes, then the joke and the thin plot became even thinner.

Had to treat myself to an Aperol Spritz in Prezzo afterwards.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Aug 18, 7:38 PM
    • 14,253 Posts
    • 27,271 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Maze Runner: Death Cure - if you liked the other Maze Runner films then you'll like this one. It's an exciting story with some good performances. I do have to question the 12 rating though. It was very violent with some scary moments. Not one to watch with younger children. It does seem to me that the 12 rating is getting more and more violent (I commented recently on the new Tomb Raider film, which was extremely violent).

Early Man - an Aardman film about Stone Age man encountering Bronze Age man, Although the film ends up being predominantly about football. I enjoyed it although I thought it wasn't as good as (eg) Flushed Away or Chicken Run.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Aug 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14,253 Posts
    • 27,271 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Snitch - another Dwayne Johnson film, but this time a more serious film about the war in drugs. Johnson's son is jailed for dealing drugs and is told that his sentence can be reduced if he snitched on his mates. Johnson does a deal with the DA where if he helps to catch a kingpin then his son can be let out sooner. I enjoyed it although it was not really an action film. The pace was slower than you might expect for a film of this type. Also stars the chap who plays the Punisher in the Netflix series.

Den of Thieves - preposterous and convoluted heist film starring (among others) 50 Cent and Gerard Butler. Full of macho posing, lots of violence and a plot that doesn't quite make sense - although I enjoyed it well enough. Although as far as heist films go Logan Lucky or the Oceans series are far better.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 11th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    Spidernick
    The Mag - Jason Statham vs a monster shark. It does just what you would expect and doesn't take itself at all seriously (the 'chomp on this' tagline I saw tells you that it is not trying to be Jaws, although it has some nods to it).

If you think that this might be your type of thing then go and see it. If you do and, like me, wonder where you saw the fun Japanese guy at the beginning, then it's probably from Heroes (which I did manage to figure out before looking it up)

Sky? Believe in better.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,094Posts Today

9,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin