Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,942Posts
    • 68,660Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 291
    • stinky_daddy
    • By stinky_daddy 7th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    stinky_daddy
    Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Vince Vaughn stars (in a serious role) as a down-at-heel boxer who gets caught up in a drugs plot.

Would second this, also Ferdinand [animation] - also on Sky
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    ...and then it hits me

Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th May 18, 3:59 PM
    • 9,307 Posts
    • 14,356 Thanks
    worried jim
    Anon - Complete load of !!!!!. Amanda (stealing a living) Seyfried didn't help matters.
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    Gave up after ten mins, after reading your thoughts I won't go back. Thanks! Haven't seen a good film for ages.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • go2
    • By go2 7th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    go2
    Casablanca (1942).

I believe in keeping up to date with the latest in mass media entertainment. Hence I made a point of watching this wonderful talkie that was adapted for the cinema from an unpublished play.

I look forward to a day when colour cinematography will become commercially viable and all motion picture features will be in colour.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 9th May 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I Feel Pretty is about an average woman who is low on confidence and who wishes she was like the super models at the company at which she works. After a bump on the head, she suddenly sees herself as such and becomes extremely confident and successful as a result. It has quite a few laughs, but is trying to be too much like a modern-day Big (it even has a clip from that film as the motivator to make the wish to be pretty), but isn't in the same league. It's worth watching if you are at a loss for something to do, but is nothing special to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • JWM
    • By JWM 9th May 18, 8:45 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    JWM
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Friends choice. OK. Nice scenery but apparently it wasn't filmed in Guernsey!

Story obvious and the lead (Lily James) has every single man falling at her feet. Yes she is attractive but unfortunately has the personality of a plank of wood.

Also don't know how to do spoilers but one plot point really annoyed me!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 10,245 Posts
    • 10,204 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Spoiler alert: Change the text colour to white, and it'll only be readable when highlighted.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JWM
    • By JWM 9th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    JWM
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Friends choice. OK. Nice scenery but apparently it wasn't filmed in Guernsey!

Story obvious and the lead (Lily James) has every single man falling at her feet. Yes she is attractive but unfortunately has the personality of a plank of wood.

Also don't know how to do spoilers but one plot point really annoyed me!
    Originally posted by JWM
    Thanks Conucopia

OK then.

Spoiler Alert: So the Island has been invaded by the Nazis. Woman has baby by a German soldier. Sure, he's a nice guy, but I do happen to agree with the other Islanders who are disgusted by it. He may be nice but hes still the enemy and part of an invading force! Not the child's fault though of course.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 17,335 Posts
    • 30,537 Thanks
    Ames
    Or you can

Spoiler (highlight below to view):
    use spoiler tags, by putting SPOILER and /SPOILER in square brackets, like with quotes.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th May 18, 10:49 PM
    • 17,335 Posts
    • 30,537 Thanks
    Ames
    I've only just found out that Vue have made cinema affordable again. I saw Black Panther this week which I really enjoyed. I actually had a lot of sympathy for the bad guy's views, although not his methods or solutions.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 9th May 18, 11:35 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Tonight I watched Stand By Me on DVD. It's scary to think that this film is over 30 years old, but is as good as ever. I much prefer it to the other coming-of-age drama around that time, The Breakfast Club, which I watched for the first time a while back and wondered what all the fuss was about (but perhaps I am just getting old, but I thought Don't You Forget About Me was the best part of the film - I Feel Pretty also has some 1980s music with The The's This is the Day, which most people won't have even heard of...but I digress).

As for cinema affordability, if you have a Cineworld near you then their Unlimited card is only 17.90 a month. Individual film prices are stupid there, but the Unlimited Card more than pays for itself,even if you only go every other week, and I go a lot more than that.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• savvy
    • By savvy 12th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 29,818 Posts
    • 45,476 Thanks
    savvy
    LMAO finally got round to watching Attack the Block - hilarious! Thought I was back at work in the old college I once taught in innit blud, braaap braaap! You get me bruv?
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Deadpool 2 - I have to admit that the first film left me cold (which may well have been because I watched it in a hotel room in Glasgow), but no such problems with the sequel, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It had lots of humour and in-jokes (even down to Aha's Take On Me video, for the older ones of us). As usual, don't leave as soon as the credits roll, as you would then miss some good bits, including a pee take of Ryan Reynolds himself.

Sky? Believe in better.

• Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 17th May 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Life of the Party is a comedy that is probably best appreciated by women, given the subject matter (a recently separated mother goes to college to finish the degree that she was unable to do when young, as she got pregnant and is at the same college as her daughter - the film deals with her relationship with the daughter and her friends, etc.). It is somewhat formulaic, far from original, but I quite enjoyed it. Some of the friendship themes reminded me of Fried Green Tomatoes (although that is a far better film).

For me it's a film to see if you have some spare time, but can be taken or left.

Sky? Believe in better.

• thor
    • By thor 18th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    thor
    The only movies I have seen recently are the MCU ones, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther and Avengers IW.
    I thought BP was decent but not in my top 5 comic book films. Thor Ragnarok definitely is right up there with Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War though. It was funny as well as dark(which some hated but I enjoyed), used the immigrant song brilliantly and had great action sequences.
    Then finally Infinity War which jumped straight in to my number one spot. Yes there are billions of people complaining about inconsistent power levels or plot holes but it was just so epic I can overlook all that. It is what I listed about Ragnarok x10(minus the immigrant song).
    I've watched all the DC movies and while I don't think they are as bad as most make out I reckon their best film is only better than a couple of the marvel's worst ones. They're a long way behind at the moment.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th May 18, 11:29 PM
    • 14,125 Posts
    • 27,067 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Geostorm. Shoot me now but I enjoyed it. Sure it's nothing original but it holds up well compared to films like Independence Day and Armageddon. And at least it tries to assume that it won't be just America saving the day when the apocalypse comes. Although Gerard Butler is starting to look a little. ... old.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 19th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Breaking In is Die Hard lite, with a badass black mother replacing Willis' grumpy white cop. The comparisons end there, as this new film is not a patch on the Christmas classic. It's fine, but there is little in the way of tension and I never really engaged with the characters.

The lead is played by Gabrille Union who, despite a long CV, I had never heard of. She is quite good. Billy Burke (recently seen in the Revolution TV series) is an OK villain, but no Alan Rickman. For those of you who watch Grey's Anatomy, Jason George (Miranda Bailey's husband), has a small role in the film.

Overall it's one to watch to pass the time (and does so quite well), but not a film to go out of your way to see, I would suggest.

(As an afterthought: what is it with male names for women in America? The main character here is called 'Shaun' and we recently had a female 'Michael' in Star Trek: Discovery!).

Sky? Believe in better.

• AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 19th May 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 3,153 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    A Quiet Place. Not sure why it's got good reviews it so silly.

Spoiler (highlight below to view):
    A family live in isolation and must remain quiet at all times. Any noises attract these monsters/aliens that come to kill the source of the noise. Mother is pregnant and while giving birth the son sets of fireworks (as the aliens go for the loudest noise). Kids get trapped in a car with alien outside it about to kill them but dad sacrifices his life for them.

Ending is that daughter finds holding a high pitch noise to a microphone distresses the aliens and mother shoots one dead. Then loads come at once so what happens next leaves it open to a sequel.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 20-05-2018 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Converted to spoiler
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 19th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 15,881 Thanks
    barmonkey
    A Quiet Place.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    Spoiler alert or what
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 20-05-2018 at 9:57 PM. Reason: Cleanup
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 10,245 Posts
    • 10,204 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    There's a fair amount more to the film than AubreyMac has mentioned, and there's a whole disability theme that s/he hasn't even mentioned.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 20th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 14,125 Posts
    • 27,067 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Please no spoilers on this thread, and especially not for recent films.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

359Posts Today

3,853Users online

Martin's Twitter