Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,964Posts
    • 69,100Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 289
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 5th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 19,351 Posts
    • 32,289 Thanks
    StevieJ
    Watched 'Shape of Water' on the plane, not very good.
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 7th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 15,474 Posts
    • 40,426 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    Ready Player One. Its fast moving, mix of live action and CGI sequences. Not read the book which I suspect has more meat and deep meaning to it, but the film is what cinema exists for - likable characters, a bad guy, a hero and I think the most number of 1980's references in any movie - Kong, De Loreans, Freddie Kruger, a clever sequences involving The Shining movie. Its' vacuous but fun.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 8th Apr 18, 12:36 AM
    • 13,964 Posts
    • 69,100 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Double Date (2017)

Not too bad film on NOWTV

Bit slow in parts

Some violent scenes

Mysterious until the near end
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Apr 18, 12:18 AM
    • 13,964 Posts
    • 69,100 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Was alright, though felt dragged abit.

Some reasonable action though not enough

touching moments

Great teamwork with mate

Didnít think it sat 100% with Marvel

Nowtv
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 13th Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Ghost Stories - a very good British horror movie. I won't give anything away, but the fact that it is co-written by Jeremy Dyson (of A League of Gentlemen fame) should give you an indication that all is not quite as it seems. Highly recommended.

Rampage - very silly, but great fun. I took one of my boys to see it and he enjoyed it.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Originally posted by StevieJ
    I'm impressed you found an airline that still shows new releases. Which one was it?

I remember when you would see movies on planes that hadn't yet been released in the UK. Now, you get classics like the Sound of Music!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 10,658 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    A Quiet Place - novel horror directed by and starring John Krakowski (The Office USA). It's good, {Slight SPOILER}though I think a more Earthly foe would have worked better than the Aliens{/SPOILER} they chose.

Blockers - three parents conspire to protect their daughters on Prom Night. Funny in parts with gross-out moments and an inevitable "serious message" ending.

Both: Cinema release.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 13th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 2,660 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    The Little Hours

Very very funny!
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 14th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Blockers is the classic example where the film company does itself zero favours with the trailer (ditto Baby Driver last year, but there are plenty of others, where the aim seems to be to put you off seeing the movie!). Whenever I saw the trailer I thought the film looked completely naff and one to avoid, but I watched it today as the reviews were good. I'm glad I did, as it is very very funny and is well worth seeing.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 14th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 14,383 Posts
    • 27,373 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Wonder - a feel-good film about a boy born with facial deformities and how he gets on when he starts school. He has to deal with bullies but manages to make some friends too. The film also gives the stories of his sister (who is generally ignored by their parents) and by his friend (who initially only makes friends because he is told to). I enjoyed it - won't be everyone's cup of tea. There are zero explosions, but solid performances all round.

Paddington 2 - if you enjoyed the first one then you'll like this. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first but still very enjoyable and stunningly animated. Hugh Grant plays an excellent villain and there are also some fun supporting performances from Brendan Gleason, Hugh Bonneville etc.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 24,684 Posts
    • 98,585 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    The Secret of Kells - superb illustrations and animation.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • adandem
    • By adandem 14th Apr 18, 10:52 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 4,721 Thanks
    adandem
    Originally posted by StevieJ
    I agree, couldn't understand what all the hype was about.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Apr 18, 12:53 AM
    • 15,434 Posts
    • 131,566 Thanks
    zagubov
    Ghost Stories is really shocking (and good)!
    It's like watching a whole season of "Inside Number Nine" on steroids!
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 15th Apr 18, 4:48 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    arthurdick
    Watched Jumanji, Welcome to the Jungle. Was a fun film, very enjoyable.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • lowe
    • By lowe 15th Apr 18, 6:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lowe
    [QUOTE=I luv cats;50019573]I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

i can't remember any good film i ever seen. LOL
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 17th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 5,519 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Annihilation (no UK-cinema release, but available on Netflix): A really intelligent SF movie directed by Alex Garland (who wrote the novel The Beach, as well as 28 Days Later and directed Ex Machina). If you like Arrival then you should like this.

Sky? Believe in better.

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 18th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 28,048 Posts
    • 15,302 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Alien covenant.
    Best alien movie for ages. Worth a watch.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 20th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 52,804 Posts
    • 146,284 Thanks
    colinw
    I watched Darkest Hour on a plane and I have to say it was excellent and a superb performance by Gary Oldman as Churchill. It makes you realise just how close Britain came to trying to appease Hitler and strike a deal.
    On the same flight I also watched Dunkirk which was also impressive and the two tied together quite well. It is quite remarkable what this Country did in the Second World War.
    • Tellurian1
    • By Tellurian1 20th Apr 18, 9:39 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Tellurian1
    Annihilation (no UK-cinema release, but available on Netflix): A really intelligent SF movie directed by Alex Garland (who wrote the novel The Beach, as well as 28 Days Later and directed Ex Machina). If you like Arrival then you should like this.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    I loved Arrival - I'm sure I read it as a book decades ago!
    • HighamKneeDee
    • By HighamKneeDee 21st Apr 18, 6:56 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    HighamKneeDee
    I watched Darkest Hour on a plane and I have to say it was excellent and a superb performance by Gary Oldman as Churchill. It makes you realise just how close Britain came to trying to appease Hitler and strike a deal.
    On the same flight I also watched Dunkirk which was also impressive and the two tied together quite well. It is quite remarkable what this Country did in the Second World War.
    Originally posted by colinw
    Quite. To add, whilst that is history now (yet we are forced to remember many areas of more ancient history), yet many people take immense pleasure in running this great country down. Sad. The persons and their viewpoints.

Fantastic film.
    Audere est Facere
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,095Posts Today

8,607Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin