Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,929Posts
    • 68,173Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 287
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 2nd Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 26,752 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Victoria and Abdul - I enjoyed it. Apparently a true story of Queen Victoria's friendship with Abdul, an Indian Muslim, who was one of her closest advisors for the last decade or so of her life. Another great performance from Dame Judi.

21/22 Jump Street - Enjoyable comedy films starring Channing Tatum as a hapless cop sent into high schools undercover to investigate drug crimes. I thought they'd be rubbish but they turned out to be well worth watching.

Tonight I'm watching Thor Ragnarok. Will report back.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 3rd Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 9,171 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Veronica on Netflix. I really enjoyed it, I found it pretty scary. The acting from the children in it is great, the little boy is adorable.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/veronica/
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 6th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 13,929 Posts
    • 68,173 Thanks
    I luv cats
    The Young Offenders (2016)

Not too bad. Irish comedy.

Not much of a plot but few laughs along the way.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 8th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 13,929 Posts
    • 68,173 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Wanted (2008)

Enjoyable Adrenaline fulled film with a capital A.

Few twists, great action though a little strung out.

Jolie's a great performer.
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 8th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    The shape of water isn't bad at all.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 8th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Diamandis
    I, Tonya

Loved it.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 8th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Game Night - very, very funny and well worth seeing.

Lady Bird
    - it's good, very good in fact, but nowhere near being good enough to have won the Best Movie Oscar in my view and I'm surprised how many people thought it may well have won. To my mind Dunkirk, Get Out, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri are all far better, but I think it's a film that females will appreciate far more than males.

Tonight I watched Panic Room on DVD, which, in a similar way to Phone Booth, does well with what is otherwise a fairly limiting plot device.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 26,752 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Thor Ragnarok - The best Thor film by far, and more enjoyable than the recent Avenger films, which all seem to blend into one.

The Cloverfield Paradox (Netflix) - OK as a sci-fi film but as a Cloverfield film it's a bit of a mess. If they'd stuck to the standard scientists-on-a-space-station-and-everything-goes-t*ts-up premise then it would have been much better. Worth a watch though, although Life is better.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 14th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Walk Like A Panther - it looks like the new The Full Monty, but is not in the same league. It's fine, but not a classic.

If you go to see it then watch out for the driving. As far as I am aware they don't drive on the right in Yorkshire, but in the film most of them do so!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 16th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Diamandis
    Lady Bird loved this film. Really believable.

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Great film, full of drama and tragedy.

Absolutely hated
    The Shape Of Water - beautifully shot but absolutely awful story.

Abduction - Great premise but quickly descents into rubbish.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The Taking of Pelham 123. The new one with Denzel Washington. Plausible character as an ordinary guy, rather than the gung-ho hero that was Charles Brondon.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 9,891 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The Stanford Prison Experiment - powerful and disturbing dramatic account of the notoriously abusive psychological experiment.

Sky Movies/Now TV
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Veronica on Netflix. I really enjoyed it, I found it pretty scary. The acting from the children in it is great, the little boy is adorable.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/veronica/
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    I watched that the other night, I didn't find it that scary, but the kids were very good.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 26,752 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Annihilation - this film was going to be released in cinemas but ended up going straight to Netflix because the studio and the writers/directors had different ideas about how it should end and what tone the film should have. It;s an intelligent sci-Fi which starts off in a similar manner to Arrival. A strange shimmer has appeared over a part of Florida and everyone sent in has failed to come back - apart from one man who turns up at his wife;s house (Natalie Portman) with no memory of how he got there. Portman and a bunch of over female scientists then venture into the shimmer where much weirdness happens. It;s certainly a good film although I found the ending to be a little muddled. The pace is slow but if you like films like Arrival or Interstellar or Ex Machina then you;ll enjoy this one.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 19th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 6,743 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Annihilation - this film was going to be released in cinemas but ended up going straight to Netflix because the studio and the writers/directors had different ideas about how it should end and what tone the film should have. It;s an intelligent sci-Fi which starts off in a similar manner to Arrival. A strange shimmer has appeared over a part of Florida and everyone sent in has failed to come back - apart from one man who turns up at his wife;s house (Natalie Portman) with no memory of how he got there. Portman and a bunch of over female scientists then venture into the shimmer where much weirdness happens. It;s certainly a good film although I found the ending to be a little muddled. The pace is slow but if you like films like Arrival or Interstellar or Ex Machina then you;ll enjoy this one.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Awful film and so, so dull.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • andygb
    • By andygb 19th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 12,302 Posts
    • 26,976 Thanks
    andygb
    It was Freezing yesterday, so around five in the afternoon, we closed the curtains in the front room, and watched our new DVD of "Fantastic Beasts (and where to find them)".
    It is a while since we have used the surround sound speakers so this was an enjoyable experience, as the sound and special effects were quite good. However, I found the film itself to be a bit disjointed/laboured, and felt it did not have the drama or continuity of the last Deathly Hallows films from the Harry Potter series.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 26,752 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Awful film and so, so dull.
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    I think awful is a bit harsh. It's certainly slow.
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 19th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 4,766 Posts
    • 12,871 Thanks
    Alikay
    At the cinema this month I loved Lady Bird which was brilliantly acted, funny and touching, and Finding Your Feet was a nice feel-good film, with Celia Imrie, Timothy Spall and Imelda Staunton playing their usual parts to perfection.

On Netflix I had a bit of a Leonardo Di Caprio weekend and really enjoyed Catch Me If You Can yet again, but couldn't finish watching Revenant (too gloomy and got sick of the colours of blood, mud and forest floor).
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 20th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 15,250 Posts
    • 39,382 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I found the ending didn't give closure on any aspect of the film at all. What was the whole point of everything, something about DNA and its all in our control, what was the message I was supposed to take from this.

Lots of implausible stuff, like they enter the shimmer with no protective clothing, they are handling plants and evidence without gloves (scientists should know better), they've got guns but are not trained to use them, etc. pace was very slow, same Director did Ex-Machina and that didn't live up to the hype either.

In the olden days, this would have been what we called "straight to video", which was another word for "terrible movie, but people will likely rent this in Blockbusters if all the good titles are already rented out".

Now we have Netflix for that. I've seen a lot worse, its certainly better in terms of story, action and pace than The Last Jedi (whcih I watched last night and what a dreary pile of nothingness that film is, like the vacuum of space in my own living room).
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • cogito
    • By cogito 20th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 8,814 Thanks
    cogito
    Lady Bird loved this film. Really believable.

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Great film, full of drama and tragedy.

Absolutely hated
    The Shape Of Water - beautifully shot but absolutely awful story.

Abduction - Great premise but quickly descents into rubbish.
    Originally posted by Diamandis
    3 Billboards - excellent film.

The Shape of Water - two hours of my life that I will never get back. Worst film I've seen since Plan Nine from Outer Space.

Thing about films like this is that it only takes one review from a 'respected' critic and, whether they liked it or not, the herd mentality kicks in and other film critics rush to say how good it is. The general public then follow the herd and agree with them. Then it wins Oscars despite being utterly dreadful.

Give me a good Clint Eastwood movie any day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,561Posts Today

9,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin