Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    • 7,275Posts
    • 35,710Thanks
    brizzledfw
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??! 5th Jan 12 at 3:32 PM
    Hello

I have decided to start a diary. Have lurked on here since early 2009, subscribed to loads of threads, loved all the camaraderie and found it very useful for getting shot of debt, starting savings and all that kind of good stuff but then have slipped and skidded into more debt, especially as I left a FT job this spring and yet seem to be still living as if I was FT and not PT...loving feeling more human though and seeing more of the kids but financially it's not great. I need to welcome and appreciate living a much more frugal life.

HOWEVER..even writing that seems bonkers as for a household we are well off with an embarrassingly high income of about 90k gross. But clearly as the newly updated signature shows there is no hiding that we (OH, me and 2 DDs) are living beyond our means, failing to prioritise the right things and generally need to rectify all this otherwise, well no otherwise, it simply can't continue. All the savings and OP pot will go and I won't be able to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore which is what I think I have been doing.. Not sure ( which is also embarrassing ) but must have been plus then started to use the 0% credit cards again which can be a slippery slope if not used properly.

I am going away now to do some more on why I have got myself into this mess, ensure I am clear there is no going back and also what my goals are. Hoping this will help me focus and as you guys ( hope you're reading are such a supportive bunch on here I am hoping you will also help me! But even if no one reads, I think I need the discipline of sticking to a programme..I can't afford to slip again. This needs to be a new permanent way of life. Currently we try and do all the things that make us feel good about ourselves, the world, the environment, our family..but perhaps we can't do it all and need to make choices? I guess everyone must but we have just not had to as yet.

So a few things to do. Sorry for rambling first post but I needed to take the first step!! Which also reminds me must check out the 'what DFW things have you done today' thread..that used to be magic. Used to love doing that 'stock take' every day

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
Page 226
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 24th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 8,007 Posts
    • 34,245 Thanks
    lucielle
    Wow you are so busy you put me to shame!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 54,944 Posts
    • 219,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    My life & charity admin went well thanks brizzled.
    All sounding good in your world xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 28th Feb 18, 7:15 AM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Good to hear from you L and you have a new diary Well done Lou.

Blimey. Its cold. So very very cold. Hard getting to work in this, had to get an early train (6:31) but OH ran me to the station which was sweet. Need fuel as running on fumes so thats a spend today. No let up this week but hope to get a bit calmer later on in March...well maybe, thats the hope!! Although as a contractor I never complain. You never know whats round the corner.

All OK. Looking forward to a new month spendwise and really being on track finances wise. ISA and pension picking up again after the market shocks of the last month so thats good.

Have a good day all, almost the end of the week and those in the heart of the bad weather wrap up warm and stay indoors if you can!
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 28-02-2018 at 7:20 AM.
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,517 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounding very organised and productive - as always
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 1st Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi brizzle - hope you didn’t have any delays on your journey today what with these Arctic conditions!

All sounding good in the brizzle household!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Aha SSG.. I took a call with the team at 06:17 am yesterday and pretty much all of us worked from home. When the red warning came through I thought we had made the right call. Its not the getting there that would be the issue but the getting back. Lots of people sleeping over in the hospitals though in order to maintain the service. They are the heroes.

Today the same...just waiting to dial in for a call. Thank the lord for the Internet. Not sure what we did in '82. I seem to remember reading a lot and sledging as the village was snowed in for 3 days. No school buses could get through! Yippee!

Done a money shuffle as its the beginning of the month. I have sent the kids out for some provisions. A NSD yesterday but small spend on groceries planned today. Not milk or bread you'll be pleased to note (seeing the photos of the empty shelves in Tescos etc made me smile) but Yorkshire T-bags Been using some 'gumboot' tea bags up from our trip away but ladies and gents they are just not the same...First world problems I know but even so.

So have dinner sorted for this evening. Plan to work today and then do YNAB, check in on you lovely folks' diaries and updates and then run some reporting for Feb so I can see the savings rate etc. It won't be 25%..but even a bit would be great.

Exercise has been non existent. Gotta get back on that horse too. Its wonderful coming out of the house in the early morning and seeing its light. Need to make the most of it this Spring.

Hope everyone is warm and safe. OH started his new job early so was out and about yesterday in W Wales. Just hoping he makes it back in safely (think he's rather enjoying it tbh..Boys Own stuff! He apparently has a chunky 4x4 so reckons he'll be fine)

Brizzle x
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 02-03-2018 at 9:20 AM.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    PS. Kids being pulled down my car free street on a sled...loving it!! Have to say in 15+ years here never seen that before....tempted to get the skis out
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 54,944 Posts
    • 219,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Get the ski's out

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 54,944 Posts
    • 219,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not one car moved here today

***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 2nd Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 8,611 Posts
    • 26,523 Thanks
    jwil
    Oh, please get your skis out! Want to see a photo! We've had kids on sleds and someone on a quad bike, but very little movement otherwise.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw

Am I the only one working?? Sitting here in a headset on a call...ugh. But feel like everyone else is on a 'snow day'!! Sleds and gawd know what passing by at times...Clearly there are loads of people who are working I know as the lights are still on etc etc..but I certainly feel pretty lonely
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 54,944 Posts
    • 219,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hate to say but dont think many working here.

***Keep plodding***
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Finishing up!!! Yay!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 54,944 Posts
    • 219,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Finishing up!!! Yay!!!
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Hurrah
    Put your feet up & relaz xx

***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58

Am I the only one working?? Sitting here in a headset on a call...ugh. But feel like everyone else is on a 'snow day'!! Sleds and gawd know what passing by at times...Clearly there are loads of people who are working I know as the lights are still on etc etc..but I certainly feel pretty lonely
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    I went into work yesterday. Didn’t you feel the worker vibe from me echoing from London? I did go home early though!

Kids were out with their sleds at Seasideville as well - I agree with you - I can’t remember when I last saw them do this!

Hope Mr Brizzle had an intrepid time in his 4 x 4, but with no breakdowns or delays obviously!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 4th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    I did SSG I did

Mr B got back late but safely. He had a monster 4x4 thing so felt safe in that. He felt carp yesterday though, got very cold at a footie match..but first team won 4-0 so possibly worth it? Not sure he entirely agrees though!!

Started watching Line of Duty...we are so off the pace of TV watching...must be years old. But first two episodes were great so looking forward to that and nice its a UK series too.

Onto MSE matters...so. No polite way of saying it. January was grim and as we started paying back the holiday cards February was worse. Disaster. We barely broke even. So savings rate was less than 5%. Not good.

Have to get a grip.

Steps Taken so Far:

- updated YNAB and stripped it right back so we are solvent again in March
    - pulling out more money from the company as one of the reasons January was so dire is because I didn't earn any money to speak of as I was away
    - need to do more work if its available - OH has signed up for more OT but we also need to support the kids as they go into exams so its a balancing act
    - cancelled a meal out this eve. No one seems bothered and I will postpone
    - sorted pension contributions from the company to me and OH to build that up. Talking to my parents about their futures has made me increasingly conscious that the early investment generally works the hardest. Operation pay off the mortgage seems to be on the back burner at present.
    - paid final instalments to school trips and also spent loads on expedition meals for DD1. Gawd they are pricey, but am not stinting on her calorific intake during a 5 day hike and various practices..
    - sorted new DDs for gas and electric as we had a big refund so I am keen not to overpay in future!

I have also decluttered 9 items to the CS. We could have sold them on Bay of E, but would prefer that the CS benefits.

Still to do:

- meal plan for the next fortnight to use up food in larder and freezer.
    - tell OH and girls that we need to wind our necks in and spend as little as possible. No impulse spends.
    - have some money set aside for the main vehicle servicing but will need more...may take from the emergency tax/savings fund which is a pity but at least it won't go on a card I guess

A sombre time for me...when will I learn??!

Oh well. Hopefully I will learn someday

Love to you all

xx
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 4th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,831 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    brizzle don't be too hard on yourself, it's not like you have frittered it away on cr*p, you had an amazing experience and you still saved something, which in my book is better than nowt it's really hard when you're SE (I don't need to tell you) but there is effectively that lag between no work and no pay.

Look at the positives, work has been busy since you're back and you've updated YNAB and got yourself so you know where you are and not buried your head in the sand for 6 months. On wards and upwards.

In other news, I've managed gym 6 days out of 7 this week ok, not huge cardio due to ankle but at least I'm there which is progress.

Plus spring must surely be hiding just around the next corner, which is good for everyone's soul.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 4th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 8,007 Posts
    • 34,245 Thanks
    lucielle
    Yes, I'm with you on winding our necks in. Need to concentrate on paying it off and having done with it all
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 54,944 Posts
    • 219,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, I'm with you on winding our necks in. Need to concentrate on paying it off and having done with it all
    L
    Originally posted by lucielle
    Echoed by me.

But dont be too hard on yourself.
    Life is also for living.

***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Don't beat yourself up brizzle - you'll soon be back on track. Things have bound to be tight lately as you've had less income coming in.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying 'Line of Duty' - I think it one of TV's most brilliant cop shows. All the series are great. And as you say it's UK made. I must say I've been re-watching "House Of Cards" while I was off work last week. It's American I know, but it is a remake of the British series that went out some years ago. Wouldn't it have been great though if they had re-written the main role for a woman!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter