Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Feb 07, 6:01 PM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    Adventures with bread dough
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:01 PM
    Adventures with bread dough 4th Feb 07 at 6:01 PM
    As many of us have discovered making bread, whether by hand or in a breadmaker, is immensely rewarding. But, there is much more fun to be had from bread dough than just putting it in a tin and baking it. Pizza is one delicious thing you can do with it. Here are some more ideas which I have had fun with and which my family can't get enough of.

All these ideas require a lump of kneaded dough, enough to make a 2 lb loaf -white or wholemeal. I use a roll dough recipe which has milk in and sometimes some butter. Any dough will do though.

Bread strips
    This is an idea I've pinched from Elizabeth David. Roll out the dough into a thin rectangle to fit a large baking tray. Use a sharp knife to cut it across horizontally. Then cut vertically at 1 inch intervals. You should have strips about 1 inch by 6 inches. Leave them on the tray stuck together.

Brush the strips with milk, melted butter or olive oil. Sprinkle them with a flavouring. This can be; sesame seeds, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, chopped rosemary, thyme, parmesan cheese, other cheese, spices. Sprinkle with sea salt.

Leave to rise again for about 15 mins and then bake at 200 for 15-20 mins.
    Leave to cool before pulling the strips apart and scoffing.

They make great lunch box/after school snacks, or as Elizabeth David suggests a pre-dinner nibble if you are posh. We have them with soup.

I think they'd be good with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on too.

Bread whirls
    This is where you roll out a rectangle of dough (thicker than for the strips), spread it with all manner of goodies. Roll up swiss roll fashion, slice and bake.
    Grease a tin about 13 inches by 10 and about 1-2 inches deep (a tray bake tin is perfect). Put your whirls flat side down, I usually get 12 to a tin.

Filling ideas
    spread with soft butter or marge and one of the following; cinnamon sugar/fresh fruit like apples or mashed banana/ dried fruit/chopped chocolate/mincemeat
    spread with Nutella or other choc spread (add chopped hazelnuts if you want)
    a mixture of cheese, ham, bacon, salami (any cured meat really), crumbled sausage
    a selection of olives, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, herbs, fried onions, seeds, nuts
    You get the idea

Leave the rolls for 15 mins to rise again, then bake at 200 for 30 mins. They might need a bit longer or a bit less -keep your eye on them.

The sweet ones are nice iced with a glace icing.

Pull apart breads
    These are best avoided if you are trying to lose weight.
    Melt a load of butter or marge. Make up a mixture of cinnamon sugar.

Pull off lumps of dough and roll into walnut sized balls. Drop them into the butter, then roll in the sugar. Toss them all into a greased tin. Leave to rise for 15 mins and bake for 30 -40 mins.

This kind of bread can be made with any shaped pieces of dough if you can't be bothered to roll it into balls.

Vary the spices in the sugar, or add golden syrup or maple syrup to the butter instead of rolling in sugar. Try a cheesey version by rolling in grated cheese. Or just put pieces of cheese in between the dough pieces. Hmmm what else could you put in .....?

Free-form bread
    This is similar to a pull-apart bread, but with less butter. I've adapted the idea from a book called Mad About Bread by Diana Buonaparte.
    Simply add stuff to your dough as you get to the end of the kneading (cheese, ham, roasted veg, fruit like bananas, rhubarb, apples, chocolate, sugar, spices, I'm sure you get the idea by now). Knead them roughly in, then use a knife to cut the dough into pieces. Pile the pieces up on top of each other and cut again. Repeat this process until you have made a sort of craggy looking mountain of bread and filling. Dump the whole lot on a baking tray. Leave to rise 15 mins, then bake 30-40 mins. Fantastic for a weekend lunch with soup (unless it's a sweet version).

So, there you go the versatile lump of bread dough. Run with it and enjoy
    Last edited by thriftlady; 10-01-2009 at 8:42 AM. Reason: grammar
Page 1
  • TKP
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:16 PM
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:16 PM
    Great ideas Thank you!
    I am new to using my BM, so new bread ideas are great!
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate!
  • seraphina
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:18 PM
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:18 PM
    I've just done my weekly bake -if you'd posted this a few hours' earlier we'd be having Nutella whirls for lunch rolls!

Will definately be giving this a go next week - I usually use a paste of brown sugar, butter and cinammon in the roly things to make cinammon buns.
  • Gingernutmeg
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Feb 07, 6:39 PM
    I like making 'monkey bread' - roll balls of dough in melted butter, then in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. I put the balls into a greased 'ring' tin, and then let it rise a bit more then bake until golden. It makes the kitchen smell lovely and it's fun to share the balls of dough by pulling them apart. If you have a few spare pecans it's nice to mix them in with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
    • Zed42
    • By Zed42 4th Feb 07, 7:05 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    Zed42
    • 4th Feb 07, 7:05 PM
    • 4th Feb 07, 7:05 PM
    Oooh, thank you for these suggestions ....

Many many years ago I lost a load of weight ... then I bought a Bread Maker ... oops!!!

Now, we're enjoying my making bread "by hand" (well, ok, with the aid of my trustee Kenwood Chef).

These look like some scrummy ideas and a real bit of variety.
    2017:

GC - Jan -

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 5th Feb 07, 6:29 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 5th Feb 07, 6:29 AM
    • 5th Feb 07, 6:29 AM
    I like making 'monkey bread' - roll balls of dough in melted butter, then in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. I put the balls into a greased 'ring' tin, and then let it rise a bit more then bake until golden. It makes the kitchen smell lovely and it's fun to share the balls of dough by pulling them apart. If you have a few spare pecans it's nice to mix them in with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
    by Gingernutmeg
    Mmm yum, there seem to be a lot of versions of this kind of bread. I've seen a recipe for one called 'crazy bread' too which was very similar.
  • spiddy100
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:25 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:25 PM
    Ooh, I think I will give the spiral ones a try for our party at the weekend
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 3rd Sep 07, 6:39 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 3rd Sep 07, 6:39 AM
    • 3rd Sep 07, 6:39 AM
    Free-form bread
    This is similar to a pull-apart bread, but with less butter.I've adapted the idea from a book called Mad About Bread by Diana Buonaparte.
    Simply add stuff to your dough as you get to the end of the kneading (cheese, ham, roasted veg, fruit like bananas, rhubarb, apples, chocolate, sugar, spices, I'm sure you get the idea by now). Knead them roughly in, then use a knife to cut the dough into pieces. Pile the pieces up on top of each other and cut again. Repeat this process until you have made a sort of craggy looking mountain of bread and filling. Dump the whole lot on a baking tray. Leave to rise 15 mins, then bake 30-40 mins. Fantastic for a weekend lunch with soup (unless it's a sweet version).

So, there you go the versatile lump of bread dough. Run with it and enjoy
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    The Small Penguins made this - flavoured with sultana, flaked almond and cinnamon. Delicious!

We're going to try next week with olives, sun dried tomato and fresh herbs to have with lunch.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 3rd Sep 07, 7:20 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 3rd Sep 07, 7:20 AM
    • 3rd Sep 07, 7:20 AM
    That looks delicioue PP -thanks for reviving this thread -I'd forgotten about it. I haven't made any of these breads for ages, I shall be making some bread strips for lunchboxes this week now
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 3rd Sep 07, 9:05 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 7,997 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Great thread - can I add in Pretzels. Roll out the dough in thin "worms" and form into pretzels. Bring a pan of (salted) water to the boil and drop in the pretzels, a few at a time. Boil for 2 mins and then drain. Egg wash if you want. Bake at 200C for 10 - 15 mins. Good for afterschool snacks or packed lunches.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • Angelraesunshine
    • By Angelraesunshine 3rd Sep 07, 9:58 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    Angelraesunshine
    wow my mouths watering at all this

i adore pull apart breads but would eat the whole thing on my own.

i like the bread strips as i often cook tescos part bake baguettes to dip in the soup and real should start doing my own
    Still Trying
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • Lyndsay_21
    i think bagels are quite easy to make too just dough then boil then bake similar to pretzels
    • shazrobo
    • By shazrobo 15th Oct 07, 5:39 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    shazrobo
    wow some fantastic ideas, had my dreadmaker couple months now, and only ever made loafs gonna try out some of these ideas in the school hols, to help fill my lads
  • D&DD
    Ooh PP that looks lush
    One of our faves is an Apple Braid,looks quite posh, til the kids see it :rolleyes: so perfect for guests.I'll put in the large recipe as it is great for freezing too.
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 tbspn sugar (less if wanted)
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*
    Set for white bread dough..

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    34 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f

You know I'm going to have to make one of these now tomorrow

Pe
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
  • kethry
    you can also put things in at the mixing stage.. I've done a sort of garlicy herby bread this way (good for a dieter as there's very little butter involved).. I make up a batch of dough as i normally do (recipe here) with a little butter/vegoil in the mix.. once the butter's in i add some garlic powder (carefully as its strong stuff!), mixed herbs, grated parmesan and snipped sundried tomatoes, then add water and rise twice as normal.. after the first proving i make small rolls out of them, which are easy to tear apart. Great for dunking into soups, especially italian type ones like minestrone.

i have to say though, reading through this thread a) made me hungry and b) made me want to rush into the kitchen to experiment!! (and as it happens i have a batch of dough on its first prooving now.. ooooooooh ... shall i make one loaf and experiment with the other..?

thanks!! (I think!)

indecisive-keth :confused:
    xx
  • potsofmoney (I wish)
    I was searching for this thread for ages, so I'm really pleased to see it ressurected.

I added some left over mash to my usual bread recipe in the bread maker. There is a Nigella recipe for potatoe bread so I was curious to see if a version could be made in the bm. It turned out really well, it wasn't heavy, which is what I expected and made really nice toast. I did have to add a bit more flour and I kept a close eye on it while it was mixing.

I'm pretty chuffed as we always have left over potatoe, which I usually end up chucking away.
  • Bexstars
    wow great ideas!

I have never just made dough in the breadmaker just always made a full loaf but I shall try the dough setting, I lov ethe sound of the dough balls rolled in the cinnamon
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 16th Oct 07, 7:46 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Ooh PP that looks lush
    One of our faves is an Apple Braid,looks quite posh, til the kids see it :rolleyes: so perfect for guests.I'll put in the large recipe as it is great for freezing too.

You know I'm going to have to make one of these now tomorrow

Pe
    Originally posted by D&DD
    That sounds yummy. You know we'll need to see a picture

Penny. x
  • D&DD
    I am having a cooking day (again!) today so will try it in the panny and post a pic later..before the kids get at it!

Edited to add a piccy for PP !!

This made up huge in the panasonic so I split it into 2 lots 1 for today and one for the freezer,I'm going to have a chunk later with a dollop of custard mmmm...
    Last edited by Dⅅ 16-10-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add pic
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 16th Jan 08, 10:17 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I have to keep resurrecting this thread and again give thanks to thriftlady (and latterly D&DD) for getting me to make proper, edible, soft bread.

I 've been experimenting, and made onion spirals. Regular white dough, rolled to a rectangle. While it was proving, I caramelised thinly sliced onions with garlic and Worcester sauce. I then covered the dough with onions and rolled the lot up. Cut slices, stood them on end and allowed to rise again. Brushed with olive oil before baking. We ate them with minestrone soup.

Penny. x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

481Posts Today

5,605Users online

Martin's Twitter