Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 3rd Feb 07, 9:30 AM
    • 19,015 Posts
    • 13,960 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 3rd Feb 07, 9:30 AM
    • 3rd Feb 07, 9:30 AM
    Personally I would say no.

GAP insurance is useful if you are leasing a car where you have an undertaking to return the car to the lease company at the end of the time in a satisfactory condition.

But if you buy a car and insure it normally you should be OK. If it was brand new car it might be worth considering but even then it will be relatively expensive for the risk involved.

Of course sods law does apply in these situations but you pays your money (or not in this case) and take a chance.
    • peterg1965
    • By peterg1965 3rd Feb 07, 11:55 AM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    peterg1965
    • 3rd Feb 07, 11:55 AM
    • 3rd Feb 07, 11:55 AM
    In your particular case i would say no, and i agree with Hintza. If it was a brand new car with the expected level of depreciation in the first couple of years it is worth it for peace of mind.

Its all about risk this business, and whether you are prepared to weigh up those risks of paying out x amount for a policy that you may not even use. I brought Gap insurance when i purchased a new BMW last september, the dealer policy was exhorbitantly expensive over !!!163;500, i brought it over the internet in the end from www.click4gap.co.uk for !!!163;170, with an autotrader !!!163;10 voucher and !!!163;20 of cashback through TopCashBack.com. Have a look on the website and see what the figure comes out as, with a bit of cashback it may be worth it. Having had a look myself I reckon it would cost you about !!!163;133 without the cashback. Quidco are currently offering !!!163;22 of cashback from click4gap, so is it worth !!!163;111??
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 3rd Feb 07, 3:06 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 3rd Feb 07, 3:06 PM
    • 3rd Feb 07, 3:06 PM
    if it was a brand new car with the expected level of depreciation in the first couple of years it is worth it for peace of mind.

Agree with this, but most comprehensive insurance policies will replace with new if your brand new car gets written off in the first year.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • peterg1965
    • By peterg1965 3rd Feb 07, 3:30 PM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    peterg1965
    • 3rd Feb 07, 3:30 PM
    • 3rd Feb 07, 3:30 PM
    Very true iolanthe07 most, if not all, insurance policies have the 'new for old' cover for the first twelve months, but if you are going to keep the car for more than a year you cannot buy GAP insurance after 90 days of ownership.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,909Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter