Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 2nd Feb 07, 10:50 AM
    • 800Posts
    • 755Thanks
    organic wanabe
    Do You Ever Eat Out and Wish You Hadn't Bothered?
    • 2nd Feb 07, 10:50 AM
    Do You Ever Eat Out and Wish You Hadn't Bothered? 2nd Feb 07 at 10:50 AM
    My DH is never very keen to eat out - but then he doesn't have to do the food shopping and cooking (although, to be fair, he does many other things around the house). Anyway we ate out last night and we were all disappointed. The food was uninspiring and, in some cases, overcooked. I know we should have complained - but we didn't.

Tonight I'm looking forward to HM lentil soup, HM pizza (trying a new recipe for the base - thanks Toxic Lemon) and salad, then HM yoghurt and fruit and, of course, a bottle of wine! I know it will all be delicious (provided I don't drink the wine before I start cooking ), made from good ingredients and costing very little. The joys and benefits of being OS.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 20-02-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Page 8
  • Up To Scratch
    The thing I hate about chains and most pub food is their insistance on providing a 'children's menu'. It is always inferior to the usually already inferior food on offer for adults.

Even Caf! Rouge has one - goujons of chicken rather than nuggets :rolleyes: I asked if they did children's portions, but no, the answer was 'well, we have a menu pour les enfants'. 'But can't they just have a children's portion of steak frites?' I ask 'Non' was the reply. 'Is that man French?' asks my DD, 'No he's from Worcester like you'.
    by thriftlady
    Lol - you are sooo right!! I'm raising my daughter on "proper" homecooked foods - she couldn't tell you what a chicken nugget is and I've lost track of the number of times my friends have laughed at me for carrying a packed lunch for her!

Why on earth most restaurants don't offer smaller versions of adult foods instead of the processed c**p they like to pass off as their "children's menu" I don't know :confused: . I am fortunate that she is still little enough to share some of mine, so I tend to buy a side salad for her (salad's her favourite) and give her some of my chicken/steak and new potatoes etc.

Ooh & for those who are from my neck of the woods, Cardamom in Alcester (Nr Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire) is a lovely new indian restaurant for grown up nights out & the best bit is it's a "bring a bottle" establishment , so the bill is greatly reduced, as a result of being relieved of the usual "add £15-20 to the bill for a substandard bottle of wine" situation - yay!
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 28th Feb 07, 11:55 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    Whenever we eat out - not often - I am usually disappointed. My lovely OH always tells me that not everyone eats as well as we do, aah One christmas we had a works do, lots of people were saying how fantastic the food was, but it was very average. What do some people eat at home? I think that if people are used to ready made meals from the supermarket they will like restaurant food! We Martin's Angels are used to better things - and much cheaper too!
    by moanymoany
    Actually I think you have probably hit the nail on the head. Loads of people do seem to exist on ready meals (not us obviously!) and as they do seem to be pretty tasteless probably an evening out at a restaurant with equally tasteless food would seem to be a treat.
  • MJMum
    ----------
    Last edited by MJMum; 07-05-2007 at 6:46 PM.
    Don't see the point anymore in offering advice to people who only want to be agreed with...
    • mookybargirl
    • By mookybargirl 28th Feb 07, 8:07 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    mookybargirl
    We have a great little pub just 2 mins up a steep hill from our house. The writing above the bar says "with packaging materials in short supply, people will have to eat proper food, chef x" Home cooked all the way and you can taste it in every mouthful. Not too bad priced and such friendly staff.

I have 2 friends and they have no problem in complaining even when we're out in a group of 10 if the service/food isn't up to standard, usually along the lines of we asked our friends to come here and are embarassed to ask them to pay for it. We'd never complain without good reason.......
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • competitionscafe
    I think Joanna Blythman hits the nail on the head in todays Sunday Herald - the reason we are so often dissapointed when eating out is because we regularly cook ourselves:

"NON-COOKS ARE easily pleased when they eat out. All the food that lands on their plate is a bit of a mystery anyway, and not understanding the nuts and bolts of putting a meal together, or recognising the labour-saving bits and bobs available to the chef, they inhabit something of a fool's paradise. People who are charged with the daily task of feeding everyone else are tougher nuts to crack, since they have much more insight into the whole business of preparing food. Of course, regular cooks routinely yearn to eat out, if only for respite from the daily puzzle of what to make for tea. Those who eat their food don't feel the same need. Well, they already have the services of a (free) cook, don't they?

But regular cooks have to balance their eating-out urge with the strong probability they will end up with food that is no better, and possibly worse, than that which they could make at home. They have to train themselves not to complain churlishly when the bill comes, even though they know they could have produced something a million times better for a fraction of the cost.
    http://www.sundayherald.com/life/people/display.var.1250986.0.with_such_lacklustre_fare_le iths_latest_floating_restaurant_may_just_sink_with out_a_trace.php
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Mar 07, 11:55 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    That's absolutely it. I always agree with everything Joanna Blythman says Does she write a regular column for The Sunday Herald ?
  • competitionscafe
    Yes, she does a weekly restaurant review for the Sunday Herald (which can usually be read online) - if anyone thinks this weeks review is critical; some of her other reviews have been a lot more scathing!! She gives praise when praise is due, but doesn't put up with anything which is not up to scratch, which I think is fair enough - if you are paying !!!163;60 or !!!163;70 for a meal out for 2 it's a special occassion and you should expect special food!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 1st Apr 07, 9:55 AM
    • 7,762 Posts
    • 18,042 Thanks
    chevalier
    The only restaurant I generally eat in is a prize winning Thai restaurant in Plymouth. They are amazing and I too, being a veggie, am very impressed with their vegetarian options. They're not overpriced and the service is always impeccable. I love it, but only as a treat.
    Originally posted by Snow Angel

Is it the one by the Barbican. If it is then the amazing thing is that it has been that good for nearly 20years. As when I was in Plymouth as a student it was my birthday treat place. Still miss Plymouth(sob)
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 1st Apr 07, 10:01 AM
    • 7,762 Posts
    • 18,042 Thanks
    chevalier
    On a different note. It seems to me that lots of people never complain. If I have a meal that comes cold or is not cooked then I complain. However I have got into the habit of it because my son is allergic to milk. You would be amazed the time that I have had to send something back because they have mindlessly put coleslaw on the plate for example.

But I would always complain anyway. My mum is similar. If we ate out when I was younger it was a real treat as we were pretty poor for much of my childhood. So she certainly wasn't going to be fobbed off with anything rubbish.

In the spirit of telling about a good restaurant, I recommend the Verney Arms near Winslow Bucks. I know the chef and he really does make EVERYTHING (except maybe the butter) from scratch. And yes it is expensive but as a treat it is definitely worth it.

I would also recommend the Chinese Buffet place in Milton Keynes. But other than that there are not many good places round here. Which is weird seeing as this is meant to be a rich county, and you would expect people to have high standards......
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • Asmoosy
    • By Asmoosy 12th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Asmoosy
    Supermarket cafes are the worst. They use microwave meals and sell it to you for £4! Had this in Sainsbury's cafe today.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 12th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I'm the same. I really enjoy cooking and I'm always looking at the menu thinking how much it would cost me to make the same thing at home. For me a big issue is also that I work at the local cash and carry where most of the restaurants shop so I see what they buy. They normally want the cheapest of everything yet want to charge the top end price for everything. Also there are some customers who are not very nice people so I won't use their businesses out of principle as I refuse to give them my money. It's a real eye opener.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 20,018 Posts
    • 53,737 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Well, hello to the resurrection of an 11 year old thread.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 19,367 Posts
    • 44,906 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Well, hello to the resurrection of an 11 year old thread.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    You have to ask yourself how?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 25,624 Posts
    • 54,347 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    C'mon Asmoosy, spill.

I completely agree with the sentiments of this thread though. As a vegetarian it's only ever going to be Asian food that is worth a trip out for, the rest is tasteless vs what I can DIY and overpriced, esp nouvelle cuisine. I'd much rather eat home cooked food...as long as the person who does the cooking is not me
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 16,109 Posts
    • 70,002 Thanks
    Judi
    In a word NO. It makes a change for someone else to do the cooking.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 20,018 Posts
    • 53,737 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Actually, I ask myself 'why?' (where's the roll-eyrs smiley when you need it?
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 13th May 18, 4:33 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    In a word NO. It makes a change for someone else to do the cooking.
    Originally posted by Judi
    And the washing up.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 13th May 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Supermarket cafes are the worst. They use microwave meals and sell it to you for £4! Had this in Sainsbury's cafe today.
    Originally posted by Asmoosy
    Same with most chain pasta places. I once went to Pizza Hut & asked for a carbonara with a different type of pasta & the waiter was like “Oh, it just comes ready-made with that pasta” & my response was “So I’m paying you £8 for a microwaved ready meal?
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,640 Thanks
    JackieO
    I must admit its high days and holidays if I eat out ,and pub chains are notoriously awful as a rule .But I took my DD to a Charringtons Toby one in Bromley a few weeks ago and it really was great value for money and we had a really good meal from the carvery. Our local brewers Faye is a bit hit and miss depending on what you want to eat .There is a lovely little green and kings pub though in a village not far from me at Bredhurst that do excellent meals and they also do a senior citizens two course meal for £5.99 and its not that much smaller than the ordinary meal. Well worth the odd meal out there My DGS Henry who is just under 6ft loves to eat there as he says the fish and chips is fantastic and (he can eat for England) he always comes out stuffed.

Supermarket cafes are awful though and considering they have a food shop on the premises its really not a great advert for them or their wares.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 19,887 Thanks
    JIL
    My son worked in a well known supermarket cafe a few years ago, they used to use all the produce reaching its sell by date in the cafe. That really doesn't bother me but it's perhaps not as fresh as it could be.

I enjoy eating out but I like to think that I get value for money and/or I can choose something I can't make myself.

Nothing more disappointing than a salad made with squishy tomatoes, bitter cucumber and iceberg lettuce. A few weeks ago I ordered a halloumi salad with griddled pepper and artichokes, served with a tomato and walnut salsa. What came was a bowl of rocket, two halves of cherry tomatoes, half a bag of walnuts and chopped up brie. What a disappointment.

I do like a good carvery though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,665Posts Today

7,251Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin