Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Strapped
    "Complete Savings" scheme
    • 19th Nov 11, 10:39 PM
    "Complete Savings" scheme 19th Nov 11 at 10:39 PM
    I just purchased something from TheHut.com and was then asked whether I wanted to join the "Complete Savings" scheme. I've never heard of them before.

So claim all your Complete Savings benefits... plus get your £15 cash back voucher! To get your £15 cash back voucher just make a purchase at thehut.com in the next 3 months. See full instructions on the next page to redeem your voucher and how to access your site and start saving today! Plus we'll send your Membership Pack email to you at your email address. Try all the benefits for the next 30 days FREE and see how much you save! There's no obligation to continue. If you are completely satisfied, do nothing and you'll be able to enjoy ongoing savings for only £10 a month and of course you have our Guarantee as described in the Offer and Billing Details! Retailers and discounts are updated often, so visit the Complete Savings website regularly to get the most out of your membership. You can save up to £100 every month!
    It also says in the fine print that Complete Savings is owned and operated by the Webloyalty group of companies.

I was briefly tempted to do the sign up and cancel before the 30 days is up, but reading the fine print, it seems a faff to actually claim the cash back (sending off a sales receipt) and so like most cash back schemes, doubtful as to whether you actually get the cash back. So I decided not to risk it, as sometimes these things can be difficult to cancel and enough people already have my card details!

Has anyone else heard of this scheme? Reading t'internet they seem to have some bad press, but it is mostly in the States. Scam? Genuine cashback scheme?

MoneySavingExpert.com insert

Complete Savings is part of the Webloyalty group. See our previous news story that relates to other companies in the group:

Beware costly subscriptions when shopping online
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
Page 5
  • Hk2
    Mis selling
    I booked tickets using the trainline.com and had an option to receive a voucher for money off my next purchase with them. In the past I haven't bothered, but today I thought I would try it. I clicked on and then got an email from completesavings and at the bottom of the email it said that after 17th dec 2013 they would be debiting my card £10 a month. A: I didn't give permission for them to have my card details, B: trainline didn't make it clear that the voucher was with a separate company and therefore passed my card details on without my consent and C: nowhere on the voucher did it mention I would be charged £10 per month via another company. I read the voucher very carefully. I have emailed completesavings and asked them to remove my details and to never ever charge me and mentioned the fact that they were mis selling. I also emailed trainline and told them the same and suggested that they consider if they want to be associated with this company as if they carry on like they at, with a voucher suggesting it is from their own company, they risk loosing custom. If I don't her back from either with a satisfactory response, I will be contacting trading standards and Watchdog...I may do that anyway as I believe I have been misold and had I not read all the way down the email, I would not have known they were going to take £10 a month off me, until I checked my bank statement. Trainline are just as much to blame for the mis selling.
    • AliWalmsley
    • By AliWalmsley 26th Nov 13, 12:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AliWalmsley
    missold, also whilst buying train tickets
    I booked tickets using the trainline.com and had an option to receive a voucher for money off my next purchase with them. In the past I haven't bothered, but today I thought I would try it. I clicked on and then got an email from completesavings and at the bottom of the email it said that after 17th dec 2013 they would be debiting my card £10 a month. A: I didn't give permission for them to have my card details, B: trainline didn't make it clear that the voucher was with a separate company and therefore passed my card details on without my consent and C: nowhere on the voucher did it mention I would be charged £10 per month via another company. I read the voucher very carefully. I have emailed completesavings and asked them to remove my details and to never ever charge me and mentioned the fact that they were mis selling. I also emailed trainline and told them the same and suggested that they consider if they want to be associated with this company as if they carry on like they at, with a voucher suggesting it is from their own company, they risk loosing custom. If I don't her back from either with a satisfactory response, I will be contacting trading standards and Watchdog...I may do that anyway as I believe I have been misold and had I not read all the way down the email, I would not have known they were going to take £10 a month off me, until I checked my bank statement. Trainline are just as much to blame for the mis selling.
    Originally posted by Hk2
    I totally agree with you here.
    I bought a train ticket from Southern Rail for £6.50.
    Am late doing my tax return this year and so have 19 months of bank statements to go through, hence I have given this company £190 completely without my knowledge.

It seems that some people value this service and use it to their benefit, but in my opinion, any company that can take your credit card details without you knowing it (by piggy backing on another purchase you are knowingly making) is pretty dodgy.

I have sent them an email, and guess what, the customer service email address doesn't work.

I got on the phone, automated response letting me cancel but of course not letting me speak to anyone about getting a full refund.

SCAM artists if you ask me.

Please someone let me know how to get a full refund from these people.

Registering a UK company in Switzerland also smacks of tax dodge. Why do any of the big retailers put up with this?
    • Mee
    • By Mee 26th Nov 13, 1:39 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Mee
    I recently signed up to this scheme and cancelled the next day. I'm hoping I won't experience the same, but will be sending a letter just in case.
    Free thinker.
    • boobbby
    • By boobbby 27th Nov 13, 7:43 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    boobbby
    I am not a fan of complete saving but it still amazes me the number of people who don't spend probably less than I minute per month checking their bank statements. Get the paper copy which is free as your more likely to check it than the copy on the computer!
  • Clickaway
    Any company who takes money out of an account without the account holder's knowledge or permission is Theft! That is how CompleteSavings operate! If they are upfront, there will not be so many compliants!

I bought train tickets and was offered £15 cash back. Send the coupon off with only name and address - was totally shocked when they started taking money out of my account which I did not agree to. Why would a legitimate company use such tactics - scam!

Scam - do not use CompleteSavings! End of!
  • youngo
    I totally agree with you here.
    I bought a train ticket from Southern Rail for £6.50.
    Am late doing my tax return this year and so have 19 months of bank statements to go through, hence I have given this company £190 completely without my knowledge.

It seems that some people value this service and use it to their benefit, but in my opinion, any company that can take your credit card details without you knowing it (by piggy backing on another purchase you are knowingly making) is pretty dodgy.

I have sent them an email, and guess what, the customer service email address doesn't work.

I got on the phone, automated response letting me cancel but of course not letting me speak to anyone about getting a full refund.

SCAM artists if you ask me.

Please someone let me know how to get a full refund from these people.

Registering a UK company in Switzerland also smacks of tax dodge. Why do any of the big retailers put up with this?
    Originally posted by AliWalmsley
    Hi
    Firstly, like most people, I've just found out that i was hoodwinked into this & spent the last hour trying to fathom out how. I now realise that i also was asked to sign up mid way through purchasing in-demand tickets through ticketmaster. If you give them a call on 0800 389 6960, once you challenge it & state that you've never used the service, chances are they will give you a 3 month refund initially & send you a form which you can confirm that you've never used the service or even claimed for the £15 intro offer. From what i've seen on here, there's a chance that they will give you a full refund.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by youngo; 08-01-2014 at 3:53 PM.
  • LOSTINSPACE
    Has Anyone got their money back
    I don’t know if complete saver is legal or not however thetruth is it’s a scam designed to catch people out by taking money out of theiraccount at a rate they will not notice . Complete Saver send you an email everymonth drawing your attention to good deal ,however if you don’t know ten poundsis being deducted from your account you won’t know that the email is anythingdifferent from one of the many emails offering free vouchers .

I have no idea how they got my details but I do know thatlike many people on here I feel cheated , does any know if anyone has beencompensated through their banks fraud protection.

COMPLETE SAVERS MAY BE LEGAL BUT , I FEEL LIKE IVE BEEN SCAMMED
    • albionrovers
    • By albionrovers 31st Jan 14, 2:39 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    albionrovers
    I got a full refund for 12 months. I won't post how I phrased my email on here in case it doesn't work for someone and they may feel like blaming me but, to cut a long story short, I did threaten them with court proceedings. Refund was almost immediate.
    I can't believe I missed a year's worth of transactions on my Visa bills either although I generally do have loads of entries petrol/shopping/bills etc etc. Won't happen again. Think I got duped after an Argos purchase and I ticked the box marked 'discount from my next purchase' or something like that. It retained my credit card details from the aforementioned purchase. Not pleased, although it is not a scam and some folk do quite well out the discounts offered.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 5th Feb 14, 1:57 PM
    • 14,071 Posts
    • 72,256 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Just had the offer come up, BUT didn't take the risk.

It seems to be clearer re: monthly cost but might be potential hassle/spam. (for £15 bonus)
    • Mee
    • By Mee 6th Feb 14, 11:41 AM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Mee
    I cancelled my membership within a day or two of registering. I've checked my statements since, but I'm yet to see anything untoward even though I received a £20 cheque (Travelodge booking) within a week or two and this month a cheque for £4.
    Free thinker.
    • Niltava
    • By Niltava 10th Mar 14, 7:57 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Niltava
    Hello all,

I purchased a flight with flybe.com in January for a forthcoming holiday in Scotland. When I bought the ticket I was offered a GBP 15 discount on my next purchase of a flybe.com flight if I registered with completesavings.co.uk.

I went ahead and registered, but AT NO STAGE was I asked for my credit card details when I was on the completesavings.co.uk website (I only put my card details into the flybe.com site when I purchased the ticket). So imagine my surprise just now when I happened to check my bank statements for the last two months and found that I have had my account charged GBP 10 per month by completesavings.co.uk!

I have just trawled my emails and found that I have indeed received several messages from completesavings.co.uk that I had not read, and buried within those messages are details saying that I'm subscribed and will be charged.

So....I feel really stupid for not reading the emails but I probably thought that they were junk mail - that is my own fault I guess. However what I find abhorrent is that my card details (for charging purposes) were passed from the flybe.com site to the completesavings.co.uk site (I am absolutely certain I did not fill in any card details on the completesavings.co.uk website - I live in Thailand, so would only be able to make minimal use of any other offers apart from another flight that I planned to book later in, which would connect the the flight I originally purchased from flybe).

Can anybody tell me:

1) what are the chances of getting my money back?
    2) does anybody know the phone number that I can call to talk to them about cancelling my membership and getting my money back (I cannot call an 0800 number from outside the UK)

Thanks,

N
    Last edited by Niltava; 10-03-2014 at 8:05 AM.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 11th Mar 14, 2:22 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Mee
    Complete Savings Team contact
    The Complete Savings Team
    customerservice@completesavings.co.uk
    Can't find an alternative number - 0800 389 6960

Good luck
    Last edited by Mee; 11-03-2014 at 2:27 PM.
    Free thinker.
    • april fool
    • By april fool 24th Mar 14, 1:22 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    april fool
    I am not a fan of this type of scheme myself, but I can see how it might work for others who make regular purchases from any of the affiliated websites. I would add that, whilst not being a fan of the way the option to join is presented as a follow-on step of a purchase on-line, and I have SOME sympathy with those who clicked through and accepted the offer to join Complete Savings without reading everything that was on the screen in front of them, I have less sympathy for those who are accusing the company of having “scammed” them simply because the posters fail to carry out the most basic checks on their credit card or bank statements. The company have, it would appear, been quite reasonable about refunding those that were caught out but spotted the charge within a few months.

I was invited to join after booking a flight with Wizzair and was offered £15 off my next flight. Knowing I was about to book another flight, I thought it worthwhile pursuing, however before continuing with the “offer”, I reviewed the company’s website and did a general Google search (and found this thread). Armed with the information, I went ahead and joined, receiving an email from the company immediately that let me knew what I was signing up for. After booking my next flight, all I had to do was forward the flight confirmation email to Complete Savings and, within a week I received my cheque for £15. I then went on the website and with two clicks, I cancelled my membership. Very straightforward – as far as I was concerned, I earned £15 for a very small administrative task.

As most regular followers of Martin and these forums are aware, there are many organisations and individuals out there who are constantly trying to con innocent people out of their money, however most of us our adults with sound minds, so it is up to every one of us to take responsibility for any and every occasion when we pass over our credit card or bank details, whether on-line or in person. At a minimum, monthly checks of statements to ensure that you recognise every transaction should be a high priority for all of us. If you don’t spot something that you DID authorise, albeit unwittingly, then you are vulnerable to not spotting something going through that is a genuine scam. The “don’t touch with a bargepole” brigade are insulting the more vigilant money-saver who is quite prepared to read the information provided and make an informed judgement about whether or not they wish to get involved. As for the ranting poster who sees everyone who doesn’t agree with him as being in the employ of the company….
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 25th Mar 14, 5:23 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    Well said!!!
    I am not a fan of this type of scheme myself, but I can see how it might work for others who make regular purchases from any of the affiliated websites. I would add that, whilst not being a fan of the way the option to join is presented as a follow-on step of a purchase on-line, and I have SOME sympathy with those who clicked through and accepted the offer to join Complete Savings without reading everything that was on the screen in front of them, I have less sympathy for those who are accusing the company of having “scammed” them simply because the posters fail to carry out the most basic checks on their credit card or bank statements. The company have, it would appear, been quite reasonable about refunding those that were caught out but spotted the charge within a few months.

I was invited to join after booking a flight with Wizzair and was offered £15 off my next flight. Knowing I was about to book another flight, I thought it worthwhile pursuing, however before continuing with the “offer”, I reviewed the company’s website and did a general Google search (and found this thread). Armed with the information, I went ahead and joined, receiving an email from the company immediately that let me knew what I was signing up for. After booking my next flight, all I had to do was forward the flight confirmation email to Complete Savings and, within a week I received my cheque for £15. I then went on the website and with two clicks, I cancelled my membership. Very straightforward – as far as I was concerned, I earned £15 for a very small administrative task.

As most regular followers of Martin and these forums are aware, there are many organisations and individuals out there who are constantly trying to con innocent people out of their money, however most of us our adults with sound minds, so it is up to every one of us to take responsibility for any and every occasion when we pass over our credit card or bank details, whether on-line or in person. At a minimum, monthly checks of statements to ensure that you recognise every transaction should be a high priority for all of us. If you don’t spot something that you DID authorise, albeit unwittingly, then you are vulnerable to not spotting something going through that is a genuine scam. The “don’t touch with a bargepole” brigade are insulting the more vigilant money-saver who is quite prepared to read the information provided and make an informed judgement about whether or not they wish to get involved. As for the ranting poster who sees everyone who doesn’t agree with him as being in the employ of the company….
    Originally posted by april fool
    I couldn't agree more!!!
  • canman273
    I too got caught out on a Travelodge booking I made in December 2012 and I have been paying ever since.
    I have now cancelled and been instantly refunded £30. I have put in a claim for the remainder.
    Since joining I never claimed the £15 discount or £10 per month cash back because I was never aware I was even a member. Seems that they sent me e-mails, but my filters sent them all to junk.
    Should have checked my bank statements better, but this scam works brilliantly with joint accounts. I thought it a wife purchase, she thought it mine.
    Only discovers my error by good luck, the scam could have gone on for years.
  • canman273
    Refund
    Whatever else Complete Savings are, they do respond quickly and sympathetically to genuine complaints. They refunded me fully once I explained I had never used their service.
    Because of this, at some stage in the future, I may consider their product.
    I still am very uneasy that any company seem to be able to ride piggy back on a genuine intended order and obtain bank details. It leaves it open for companies less honest than this one to do a lot of damage to Bank Accounte
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 5th Apr 14, 5:54 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    So, I'm fairly certain that 'complete savings' and 'shopperdiscountsandrewards' are both run by the same company (web loyalty) and in principle they're the same type of thing and come in for the same sorts of criticism regarding "they have been taking my money....I never gave them my credit card number..."

So I've been a member of SDR since January 2011 and a happy one at that. I read all the small print and knew what I was signing up for. I also know I entered my credit card details.

Where my case differs to most is that I remembered I had done this and made use of their website. In the last 3 years I have saved well over £1000 with Cashback savings and voucher discounts at SDR.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is this frustration at the numbers of people who complain they never gave any credit card details and that it's a scam - it isn't, here's the link page asking for all the details.

https://one-time-offer.com/sol7/play_com_uk/sb178559/promo.asp?sid=c3fc1c3d4165e1a13732e8b7c4b37215&ci= 96A61656D666CA6181F0A0D0F19140916B172737D73727DB50 900607A757A7A64797479C50BC77B7E657B776E7E6E6D76D91 01F16151014121FDB57524254535A4B42554AE325222127273 B3E3434FE4047555345545C4A425&infoid=c3fc1c3d4165e1 a13732e8b7c4b37215

It all looks very plain and simple to me. Certainly SDR are not guilty of any misrepresentation or scam here.

I wonder if complete savings has a similar sign up link, and would imagine so as their websites are virtually identical barring the name and banner.
    Last edited by stemcgoo; 05-04-2014 at 5:57 AM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Apr 14, 12:11 PM
    • 35,034 Posts
    • 41,116 Thanks
    Browntoa
    just moved this from Shop don't drop
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Amdele
    I also got caught out with this scam. It would appear that whilst shopping on Argos website, i clicked on a link and entered my email address to receive, what i thought was, £10 off my next purchase. I didn't think anymore of it when I didn't receive any email notification regarding this £10 credit. That was eight months ago, and I found out a few days ago that some company called Complete Savings had been taking £10 per month from my credit card for the last 8 months. I emailed Compete Saving requesting a full refund or I would contact the financial ombudsman to investigate, what I can only call theft!. I also complained to Argos and advised them that I would never shop with them again. I have since received an email from Complete Saving saying that they will refund a payments taken from my account, as I had not used their services. They also stated that once I had clicked the button to receive the 10 offer, I had been re-directed to their website where I had entered, then re-entered all the necessary details relating to my credit card - this is rubbish, I did not and would not have!!
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 14th Apr 14, 11:13 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    I also got caught out with this scam. It would appear that whilst shopping on Argos website, i clicked on a link and entered my email address to receive, what i thought was, £10 off my next purchase. I didn't think anymore of it when I didn't receive any email notification regarding this £10 credit. That was eight months ago, and I found out a few days ago that some company called Complete Savings had been taking £10 per month from my credit card for the last 8 months. I emailed Compete Saving requesting a full refund or I would contact the financial ombudsman to investigate, what I can only call theft!. I also complained to Argos and advised them that I would never shop with them again. I have since received an email from Complete Saving saying that they will refund a payments taken from my account, as I had not used their services. They also stated that once I had clicked the button to receive the 10 offer, I had been re-directed to their website where I had entered, then re-entered all the necessary details relating to my credit card - this is rubbish, I did not and would not have!!
    Originally posted by Amdele
    Why is it you can't remember to check your credit card statement but you can remember 8 months ago NOT entering your details for a £10 offer?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,357Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter